Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Mine was installed and activated at the same time. I was going with Vodafone so they had router and the whole lot. Had it activated and I just had to plug in my mesh network and off I went, immediately from 50mb to 250-300mb times faster network, mesh is now the restriction. If I log direct into the router I have 500mb

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭shmeee

I'm with Eir, KN guy said he called it in but something to do "with first house in the area" that it needs a bit of work to link it all up and and NBI to activate it. Again, I'm not too worried. Off on holidays for a week so surely be active when back.

What mesh system did you go with? I will need one also to cover area of the house, circa 4,000 square foot. The office spaces have cat 5 but living areas don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

I put in UniFi, messed around with cheaper units for years in 3500sqft bungalow and this is finally providing the coverage and uptime I need, wasted probably thousand buying Linksys, alls sorts of tp-link etc

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭NeoRox

Hi all,

Finally eircode went live for pre-order on Friday so ordered 2gb with Blacknight. The cable will be coming across the road from a pole, can anybody tell me what is the legal required height for cables over roads. I guessing I need to install a mast on the house for to receive the cable from across the road, the phone cable used to be on chimney but that's long gone now. Also will NBI put the box where you want it in the house if you prepare conduit and provide the ability to pull through the cable or do they insist on just drilling a hold through the wall and that's that?

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭boardtc

Mine was installed this week. testing the speed with my laptop connected directly to the router and wifi off depending on the speed test, fast shows 1.1Gbps, ookla shows 939 Mbps. But connecting via my cat6 ethernet points it drops to 309. Is this discrepancy standard?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,211 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Thats a bit of an odd speed unless you are loosing it over another device like a switch but if you loose one pair of conductors (one wire not connected or cut) then your Cat6 cable will drop to 100Mbps. If you bought your Cat6 cable on Amazon or similar then it might not be Cat6. Copper Covered Aluminum cable is often sold on Amazon and it doesn't come up to any of the cable standards. It does work OK but it can cause enough issues to avoid it.

First things I'd do is check for packet loss - use the Ping command to device on the internet or router and check packet loss. Check all your cabling. See if you can identify the cable you have. Check obvious stuff like DHCP and other TCP/IP network settings just incase you have done something daft - I've been there ;-(

Edit> Other obvious possible causes are bad connectors and poor terminations which might test out OK with a simple tester but not work the same with a network signal.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭daraghwal

Has anyone had issues with disconnects on NBI? I have an issue since install where the connection could be fine for days then have up to 30 disconnects in the one day, at least one every few hours, then back to normal again. Router replaced, reset, ethernet cable replaced several times, KNCircet came out the check the fibre line (perfect), ONT reset etc., changed providers over it and still the issue persisted. Today I noticed it dropping a few times again so set up a camera recording the ONT to see if it's an NBI issue - it is! The PON light goes out for a couple of seconds (no alarm light like you would see with a fibre issue) and then turns on again. This corresponds in the Fritz Box with an "internet connection cleared", "Timeout during PPP Negotiation" and sometimes but not always a "PPPoE Error: Timeout". Anyone come across this issue or know the reason for it? I presume it's the ONT or something in the Exchange? When the dropouts aren't happening we have a ping of 4ms, Download 550 and Upload 55 so no issues with the fibre I would think.

I have a patch panel and the house is cat6 wired in 2015 for many ethernet points all over the place, they all have been terminated but only a smallish percentage are in use on the patch panel. There is no cabling to check. Are you saying I should be getting the full 939 at my end points rather than 300?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

You should almost always be getting the highest speeds via direct cable connection. Are you absolutely sure the connection is using the LAN and not going over Wifi (while plugged into ethernet)

On wired Ethernet you should get the full GB speed not 300Mbps.

100Mbps would be easy to diagnose at that means one of the pairs is damaged (GB uses 4 pairs 100Mbps uses 2 pairs)

Bad connection somewhere so plenty of things to check. First try a different point on the patch panel and see what that gives. @heavydawson's post is very valid as its possible that you are still connected on WiFi when plugged into ethernet.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭dam099

100Mbps only actually uses 2 of the 4 pairs in an ethernet cable. Often a wiring fault doesn't result in no signal but rather the equipment will negotiate a 100Mbps link instead of 1Gbps if it has enough pairs to operate.

When you don't get full speed on 1Gbps ethernet its more common to see it be around the 100Mbps mark rather than the 300Mbps you are seeing.

I'm saying there is a common reason for a drop to 100Mbps that is easily explained. Your drop to 300Mbps doesn't have an obvious explanation.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I have a patch panel and the house is cat6 wired in 2015 for many ethernet points all over the place, they all have been terminated but only a smallish percentage are in use on the patch panel. There is no cabling to check.

Punched-down cat6 - whether on patch panels or on the keystone jacks in the wall outlets - are one of the most common causes of problems in networks. If you're seeing oddball behaviour like you are, the first thing I'd be looking at is re-terminating the cables (or even just punching down the existing terminations again, surprising how often that works).

Alternatively, you could live with it. There's not many things you can't do at 300Mb/s.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sandyxxx

Our install was completed today.

A mammoth task. over 20 poles along a shared laneway,multiple landowners each requiring signed way-leaves.

SKY were reluctant to support the connection and only agreed when I turned the screw on them.

delighted now with my 555mbs speed!

Congrats! Do you mind me asking what your package speed is? 500mbps or 1gbps?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭shmeee

Finally have Eir Fibre active, 12 days after install and after order date of 1st December.

Eir 1gb, hitting just shy wired in to router and 600mbps over 5ghz WiFi. In rooms a bit away it's 200/300mbps. House is quiet large, 4,000sqft so going to pick up a handy Deco mesh 3 pack for now and then start working on wiring in AP's down the line. Solid concrete walls and floors so a bit of work involved which won't be completed overnight. And want to plan it probably to future proof the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sandyxxx

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭jmorrisey

Hey folks can I ask a general question here..our house has been allocated an estimated connection date of October-December 2024. I was just wondering if those connection estimates have proved accurate for those who have been connected so far? Have there been huge delays for some or even connections being available ahead of time?

Thanks

Initially the estimates were all over the place, but recent comments have suggested that they're even conservative, and you might see connection even slightly ahead of the estimated dates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭jmorrisey

That's great news...thanks the reply

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Dero

My address just became available for pre-order today, so now I'm off to choose an ISP. I'm not price-sensitive (within reason), but I do intend to use my own router, so I need someone who allows/supports that, as well as a static IPv4 address (not CGNAT).

IPv6 and phone service is nice to have, but not essential.

I have it narrowed down to Digiweb or Blacknight currently. Does anyone have experience of either on NBI fibre?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭baz9375

Used Digiweb for first year on NBI - great service and customer care. Switched to Arden as they offered better deal with fixed IP address included.

Would recommend Digiweb or Arden - both offer IPv4, static IP address and both supply decent Fritzbox routers.

Have been using Digiweb for years (pre and post-NBI deploy). A little pricey but excellent support and rock-solid connectivity.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭listermint

What's pricey these days for fibre ? ( I've no idea I'm not connected yet)

Ah they're mostly all the same after the first 12-24 months, but the on-boarding deals are better elsewhere I found. There's usually maybe €5-10 in it, but if you were going to get a TV+Broadband(+Mobile) package, you'd save a few more bucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Dero

It's moot for me anyway as pretty much everything comes in less than my current Imagine + Three combo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Digiweb also have the benefit of not doing CPI-based price increases every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Had the same up till today. Imagine for starlink

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Zith

NBI map has some updates today. My area has gone to network build in progress.

Advertisement