Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 shane14

Hopefully it’s go live sometime today, wont be happy if it goes on until next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭kenny111

it took my connection 10 days to go live after install, because extra work was required after the "ready to connect" date my order was on hold and it took multiple calls to eir before someone used a contact in Openeir to make it go live.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 shane14

Thanks for this info, hopefully it won’t be that long but it’s not happening today, I’ll call them again on Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Sorry to jump in mid thread but I have no idea how to search.

So NBI is finally getting to our area, we had the preorder this week because seemingly it will get installed in next 2 months.

In the house I think we have a phone line but it is not active. I don't even know where it comes in because we bought the house and never looked.

I am just wondering do they come in over the telephone line or how do they connect into the house? can I also get them to change from the current location if we find the telephone line? I have a comms rooms connected to a house wifi network. Would I be able to get them to run to that so I can connect the new wifi router to it? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭daraghwal

Has anyone else had issues with NBI when it's windy? Dropped 10 times in last hour with me but back to 550/50 with a ping of 12 when it reconnects, also noticed it intermittently on other windy days, and could often go days without any disconnect. Is there a direct splice on the pole with NBI or a connector that would explain it? Reported to Digiweb anyway but just curious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

The copper phoneline is now defunked.

They will run a new fibre line to the house overhead or in an existing duct from a nearby pole with a new fibre distribution box or from an underground chamber.

If there is an existing duct it might be a good idea to see where it is running.

Officially they run the fibre 1m into the house and terminate at an ONT, this will be located close to a power socket.

You can discuss with the installer on the day options on how and where the fibre cable will run.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭fman

On the wind comment I had some buffering today while watching streamed stuff. The first non wifi related buffering I've suffered since NBI was installed. I couldn't say there was a disconnection or even state for sure speed dropped but definitely something coinciding with the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Sponsorgate

Cutting trees in Timoleague area (West Cork) last few days.

Anticipated date for connection:July 2025 - December 2025. Great to see movement all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,692 ✭✭✭✭listermint

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Sponsorgate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Yes indeed, great to see. Finally high speed fibre coming to rural West Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭amdaley28

I put my Eircode into the NBI site & this is what I got.

"Pending Survey

We are actively working to accelerate the rollout of high-speed fibre broadband in your area. Sign up for updates to keep up to date on progress.*

Anticipated date for connection:January 2026 - December 2026"

The funny thing is I've had fibre broadband for the past 18 months 😏

Thank you, might have to do some sweet talking because the old line I found but is about 15m away now from the comm's room.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭captivo

Couple of quick questions - with the recent storms has there been many outages due to breakages in the fibre (fallen trees/branches) and if so how long does it usually take to get repaired?

Also - our area is due to get fibre in the next few months, just wondering what usually happens in the scenario where the fibre is strung on the opposite side of the road to the house. In my scenario, there is ducting ready and available on the opposite side of the road so do they install a new pole on the house side of the road or do they bore under the road? It's a narrow boreen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Locally fibre was down for a week when some storm took out all the trees down one country lane. That would be the worst I've come across. Normally much much quicker.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Just wondering of all the suppliers which one has the best type of router? or are they all similar?

I remember the likes of Eir before used to sell a piece of crap for BB etc

Im kind of thinking Vodafone or Sky at the moment but I don't care

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭baz9375

Digiweb and Arden both supply Fritzbox routers.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭tiegan

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭baz9375

They’re not locked down like router supplied by eir or Vodafone so you can change settings you may need/want to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭clohamon

Engineers Ireland has a recording of a webinar with NBI project manager Denis Maguire. (c 60 mins)

"https://www.engineersireland.ie/Resources/Engineers-TV/the-project-management-behind-the-national-broadband-plan"

*warning - lots of project management jargon*

He confirms that it's generally about 18 months from survey to connection. Also talks about storm effects - roughly 2-3 weeks to return to normal deployment because of storm repairs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,499 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Hopefully their billing department is using the above dates!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Red Thunder

I would like to get some confirmation hopefully on the forum I have currently have the 1GB package with Eir through NBI and I would like to know if the Eir F3000 router is meant to sync up with IPoE or PPPoE encapsulation, at present IPoE syncs up as DHCP and I am not sure if this is the default for connecting to NBI when I was with Sky on the 500Mb package it synced up with PPPoE.

Does one ecapsulation perform better than the other on NBI?

What I notice on a speed test that the speed starts of around 450Mb and then slowly ramps up 850-900Mb, Ihad a replacement F3000 sent out as my speeds were averaging around 400-550Mb on the GB package

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭slystallone

Has anyone got feedback on what a new connection is like? Does it take long?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭clohamon

Minister says no under-speed breaches have occurred to date on NBI network.

James Lawless (Kildare North, Fianna Fail)

155. To ask the Minister for Communications, Climate Action and Environment if in a scenario where broadband is running at less than the legal requirement, the steps NBI can take in order to rectify the matter; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [6047/24]

Eamon Ryan (Dublin Bay South, Green Party)

NBI are required to provide a minimum service of 500Mbps to all end users under the Contract with the Minister. The network NBI have deployed is capable of delivering speeds far in excess of this minimum speed. NBI monitor the performance of their network on a 24/7/365 day of the year basis. Should speeds fall below the minimum required then NBI is required to notify the Department and provide a plan to remediate any issues arising that may have caused the breach, however no such breach has occurred to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,637 ✭✭✭shmeee

I ordered fibre from Eir on 1st Dec once I got the NBI email. I've had 2 visits since to the house. 2nd visit was a survey of the site as I need a pole as no ducting can be found (there was ducting as the old copper line came in via a duct). So I've to get a tree cut for a pole to be placed. I'm still 4/6 weeks away from next update / visit I'm told. A house down the road has similar issue, but less work and only needed 2 visits so from order to install was 8 weeks.

When you say it came in via a duct can you elaborate? You mean copper wiring for a landline?

The old phone line came in underground in a duct, but cannot locate the duct anywhere or even where it starts. It was the old landline to the house. They will try bring the fibre in via a duct if that is an option, rather than overhead.

But in my case, they've have to dig up the whole garden so they just said a new pole so and they will bring the fibre into the attic via the gable end.

So wire comes in and ends up connecting to a modem?

It will come into house and connect into a fibre termination box & ONT and then your modem will plug into this. You will need 2 power sockets available also for this. This is usually placed on inside wall at entry into the house.

• Advertisement

Advertisement