Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭shmeee

Basically a small white box. And the router will plug into this then.

You'll see plenty of examples of them on google images.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭slystallone

It's small, size of a iPhone these days. Half the size or less of an actual router.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

just seen NBI vans in the Monasterevin clearing lines

how long roughly until they are rolling out fiber in everyone's experience ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭pureza

There was a private company mapping poles yesterday on my road outside Arklow

Our eircode is now finally included on the rollout map

Our telephone poles didn't exist apparently untill this guy found them

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Dero

You can get an estimated timeline by entering your Eircode here: https://nbi.ie/map/

I just tried a random Eircode just outside Monasterevin and it says:

Pending Survey

We are actively working to accelerate the rollout of high-speed fibre broadband in your area. Sign up for updates to keep up to date on progress.*

Anticipated date for connection:January 2026 - December 2026.

The timelines seem to vary quite a bit per DA. We were surveyed in May 2021 and are scheduled for connection April - June this year. It's usually less than that though I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭JonMac

Advice please. Should I pull out the old copper line out of the duct and replace it with a draw cord? Or will the installer do that?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,620 ✭✭✭✭listermint

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Ok date for installation is 7th March, I am wondering will they pull the cable around 10m to a room in house for comms or am I out of luck on that?

• Advertisement

Seems to depend on installer, but more unlikely tbh. They want to install these as close to it's point of access into the house and a power supply.

Realistically folks with additional install requirements should be running cat 6 to location they need for other routers or ideally get a mesh network in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭baz9375

I think it depends on the installer on the day.

My own home install I had ran trunking (and pull rope) from the gable wall into the room I wanted the ONT in - was about 12 or 15 meter run. The installer was happy with that but said he would have pulled this down himself and had no issue going into the attic space.

Recent install in my workplace - first engineer visited and said no to running cable into our comms room (around 10 meters). He said he needed to reschedule as he needed a hoist team. The second engineer on the install day had no problem running the fibre through attic space and into the comms room.

I think it's the luck of the draw on the day but I'd advise to try have as much prep work done for them so it's an easy install for them on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

If you have ducting for them they surely would. What is the path of the 10M run?

No ducting, would have to run either across the attic or outside the house under the eaves

Yes have a Unifi mesh already in the house. I could run a long cat6 cable from the main comms room to the new wifi router if that was the option. My preference would be to install the router in the comms room which is already connected to everything but I think I might end up just running the cable internally myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭ArrBee

If "the closest point of connection to the house" is actually a bedroom, They'd hardly drill a hole through the wall and attach the box on the wall would they?

I am certainly hoping that they will use the old phone copper to pull fibre up the wall cavity and into the attic...

I am just thinking, they install a wall point, could you then just run the cable from the wall point, up into attic and down into comms room and have router in comms room?

Or does the router have to be beside the wall point? or can it be extended away?

It's fibre so not much opportunities for extension .

I'd advice have a plan A but don't depend on it and prepare for a plan B. If installers feeling good they may put it where your plan A is. But no guarantees.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

It's fibre so not much opportunities for extension

Cat6 from ONT to router, so a long cable from the ONT to the router isn't a problem.

Plan A: they run the cable around to the comms room

Plan B: they install the wall mounted unit beside the current exit for the old telephone line, I put router beside it and run a cable up in attic and across to router

Plan C: the same as plan but but I run cable direct from wall mounted up into attic and across to the comms room, installing router in comms room

Plan D: they run an overhead cable straight to house(no chance this will happen) :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Plan A is the best followed by Plan C. I'm building a new build right now and aiming for Plan A first and have left Cat6 in place to go to Plan C if that dont work.

Yes that would be my preference, going to run cable in next few days anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 19 bullet93

Wondering if anyone could help me here. Bit lost reading the messages so excuse me if a similar post has already been answered.

A private company (subcontracted in by NBI) recently brought an underground cable from a telephone pole to outside the gate of my house. They said I would be connected within 1-2 months. This was in December 2023. NBI vans have been in the area recently but I haven't been able to catch them to speak with them and get an update. I'm based in a rural part of Donegal and our scheduled date on the NBI website is October - December 2024. Just wondering what the next step is and if I will be connected before the connection date on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭pureza

What response do you get when you order fibre from one of the networks now?

Try if you haven't

They're not going to connect your house unless you order it

• Registered Users Posts: 19 bullet93

Every time I try to order it still says that my area won't be ready until Oct-Dec 2024. I assume the providers are just working off the NBI??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I had subscribed to the NBI mailing list for my parents house. It was listed as 2025 or 2026 if I recall, but then yesterday morning I got a mail to say that pre-order is now available. Sure enough, my dad got in touch yesterday afternoon to say that Vodafone were already sending their sales reps around.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,478 ✭✭✭✭guil

I feel your pain, survey was done here last year sometime and mid December Circet installed fibre in the ducts and put new boxes on gables beside the old copper drop points. Got talking to the fella doing it and he said should be available to order in a few days. Nothing yet and NBI still says April to June

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Anyone experiencing a dropout of connection in East cork?

Been onto sky who ofc have said they're looking into it but afaik that means they're just getting onto NBI?

NBI Fibre installed by KN today, nice chap installed it and he had no problem with getting through some trees and running it along the attic into the office. He wasn't pure negative like earlier lads who called that wouldn't even walk through a bit of high grass. He must have been on site here for 4 hours.

How long before it will be active? Will it be Tuesday at this stage?

Post edited by shmeee on

• Advertisement

Just to update, installation was done. They ran the cable from the point around the wall and into the comms room. I asked and they said no problem. Probably not 10m and maybe 5m. The comms room already had a hole drilled(conveniently by someone 😂 ) and they put the cable in and connected everything up.

Advertisement