Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

Looks like another 2 to 3 years for me in Monaghan

Our crews are out mapping routes and infrastructure to prepare for the rollout in your area. It is estimated that high-speed Fibre Broadband will be available in your area within the date range above. Sign up below to get regular updates.*

Anticipated date for connection:January 2026 - December 2026

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

These are my speed test results I forgot to include in yesterdays post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Finally got connected after 18months of back and forth, seems comreg do work as they lit fire under openeir. My speeds however are 280 and 10 upload i think, kn guy said its up to sky to sort that so may change provider if they cant get up to what i paid for.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,637 ✭✭✭shmeee

Quick one, why did you call to confirm installation date? Only call to change from the SMS I got.

I got the pre order email and then went with Eir last week as soon as received and received install date via SMS of 17th Jan. I'll take that. But if I call may I get a cancellation and sooner date?

South kilkenny BTW and expected pre-oder date was originally July-Dec 2024. Love you post details. I hope something similar, into attic and then run down along attic floor maybe 25-30m's into a ducting down into the Comms room. Great in theory but they may not do that. Ducting will be near impossible.

This was the text message I received on the Friday, when I called up as instructed I was offered the earlier date to due to a cancelletion/rescheduling of another customer.

This is an appointment confirmation request from Circet on behalf of Vodafone Consumer for your broadband installation on Thursday 30/11/2023 between 12:00:00-16:00:00. Your availability for this appointment needs to be confirmed. Please call us on 015366939 to confirm your appointment. Please do not reply to this message

• Advertisement

Thank you, I confused it with original text advising of install date. I'll keep eye out for a message in the new year so.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭daraghwal

If you signed up to eir and got emails from them their system automatically generates an appointment just over 6 weeks after you sign up with them, they also send another email from nbiprocessing-gp@eir.ie saying this:

"Thank you for placing your eir Gigabit fibre broadband powered by NBI.

NBI is currently only in a pre-order stage in your area meaning we do not have the confirmed installation date at this time.

We have placed your NBI pre-order today. Please ignore the installation date notification generated with this order.

Within the next 45 days you shall receive your confirmed appointment date once NBI goes live in your area. 

We shall keep an eye on your account. Once your eir NBI service goes live we will cease your old services and reinstate your landline number as part of your new eir NBI bundle.

Please be aware of up to 48 hours of downtime of your landline number. We will initiate this process within 5 working days of your service going live.

Feel free to reach out with any queries you may have. Please reply to this email with a suitable time and day if you would prefer a callback on this matter."

My neighbour signed up with eir and has heard nothing since (end Oct) whereas 2 day after NBI changing from pre-order to ready to connect for me digiweb rang me with an appointment for 2 weeks after that (tomorrow!!)

I've got the 2nd email/text with the install date of 17th January. Got the above email a week or so prior. So I take it the 17th Jan is install date? And Eir salesman called to my door the other day to sell the fibre as my house was on his list. He missed out on a sale by about 12 hours as only done it myself online the night before. He said install to be about 2nd week January and he was near bang on. But when they do their first visit, they will have to come back because the road and poles are across the field and I'm fairly sure new poles will need to be installed. The old copper connection into the house is nowhere to be found and the poles at rear of the house are for ESB.

My neighbour who I mentioned in my earlier post had a huge battle also with Eir they tried convincing him that NBI was not available and that he should stay as he was. Why anybody would use Eir on NBI is beyond me, those cretins have held Irish comms back a good decade or more. I'd rather pay extra to someone else than give them a penny. Yet then a few days later Eir bombarded the local area with sales reps as did Vodafone.

An Eir rep came to me after I'd signed up with Vodafone and told me he couldn't sign me up to NBI as I was a pre-existing Eir copper customer even if I wanted to. It's a great feeling to no longer be dependent on Eir or be giving them money after all the harm they did to Broadband in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Ya Eir were in my area literally the day they knew the lines would be going live within a month. I initially was signing up as the offer seemed pretty decent. After thinking about it for a day I changed my mind and pulled the plug straight away. Too many previous bad experiences with them and the initial sign up was not all as it seemed. Have gone with sky and have an installation date for December 16th.

Have heard a few neighbours signed up to eir and have been having problems already.

Eir are cowboys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Shadow Dancer

Hi all. I'm looking at suppliers at the moment, as we are now at the pre order stage. One of the companies I am thinking of using is E broadband https://ebroadband.ie/nbi/.

Anybody here have any experience of them?

Thanks!

I looked around but Sky estimated install date was the middle of March, Vodafone likewise. And I'm with sky already so would be renewing my TV contract which I don't want either as that will be cancelled next year. Went with Eir, and initial install / 1st visit is middle of January. I know for sure a 2nd visit will be required so at least a bit ahead getting the ball rolling. I've dealt with Eir before and know exactly their carry on but a few months earlier made the difference as I'm in bad need of the fibre as the three mobile coverage is gone to sh*t over the last few months especially with 2 of us WFH FT.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Update, my sky installation Monday, the speeds up to 480 on the mobile, laptop was connected to work vpn hence why it was slower. Sky sending me signal booster free of charge as modem in back bedroom. Sky nice to deal with, eir a shower of bleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Broadband installed today. NBI had been saying Jan 2024 -April 2024. Went live the end of November and installed today.

Went with Sky. KNCircnet arrived today and were gone in Under two hours. Up and running immediately and speeds of 553 Down and 52 Up over Wifi. On the 500mb package with Sky €35 a month for 12 months.

Also the fact I was already with sky it has made the sky mini boxes I had wifi extenders seamlessly. I didn't have to do any messing around it just worked straight away which is very handy. All my boxes are connected via Cat 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommy Lagahan

Just got another seasonal "We're surveying in your area!" email, I got one for autumn and summer as well lol (Donegal town DA). I haven't seen them about personally. Schroedingers survey?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Got a similar one despite survey 6 months back

Your current status is January 2026 - December 2026

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Yup got the same one ... lots of surveying going on (according to the email subject):

The summer update had me at Jan 2025-Dec 2026, but the autumn one changed to Jan 2025-June 2025 and it's still the same now.

There had been some poles replaced and tree pruning along my road a few weeks ago.

Hollyford DA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Got NBI email this morning also. But great news for me, Network build has started. So hopefully only 12-18 months away now. Clonakilty area in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭kenny111

got connected with Eir yesterday but it did not go live, rang Eir today and was told I have to call back again on Monday as the team i need to speak top does not work today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

Hi All, any idea how long it takes to get a site surveyed in an area that is already live? Eircode was got in August and NBI website is saying we have received the eircode for a good few months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭JonMac

NBI have finished the ground works and installed a concrete chamber. No fibre run to it yet.

I plan to use the existing duct that has the copper in it for when the connection is made to the house.

Do the installers need a draw rope to get the fibre to the house? At the moment there is only the copper inside the 50mm duct.

Should I pull out the copper and use it to pull a draw rope?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 moshaknks

I was supposed to be going live today but there was a problem with the old ducting that was there for the old telephone line. So they did a survey so that some lads can come back and create a new duct. Anyone have this same issue and if so I've a couple of questions:

1) did it take long for them to come back and

2) Did they do a good job of digging up. For me they will be going trough a front lawn, paving and a tiny bit of concrete to get to the house!!! The engineer is telling me I won't even notice and I'm hoping he is correct

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭johndoe11

Currently building in my area, but still staying won't be connected until April 25. Is it typically that long to build?

Awaiting KN to rock on today, look at the house and say "we need a few poles / ducting to be placed". Yes, this is exactly what I told ye on the phone for the last month anytime ye rang to confirm "instillation". Waste of time the installation crew coming today. House is a solid 600m's from the road where the Fiber is hooked up, nothing in-between to the house. A day off work for a 10 minute chat in the garden, which could have been done over the phone or just get a surveyor to call out first and see what needs to be completed.

As expected, 2 min chat in garden. Civils and surveyor need to call. No idea where ducting or old copper Eircom connection was coming into house. There's a ducting of some sort but I've spend 12 months trying to find it and no joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 shane14

Got fibre line connected yesterday by KNcircet, 24hrs later eir still have not made it live. Is this wait normal? I rang yesterday evening and again earlier today and was told they will escalate it with openeir. I know we’re only talking a day or 2 but after years of waiting this is frustrating having it all connected up and not yet live!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Contractors been out on our roads clearing telephone lines on behalf of NBI the last few days, any indication of a rollout or could this be just "surveying" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Eleusis

Heard this lots. . And always with Eir. I was connected the instant the installers were finished. . With Sky

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Beyond surveying, hedge cutting in preparation for the rollout of fibre.

This is hedge cutting season, until the end of February, then closed until the end of August.

So any planned fibre rollout for spring, summer and into the autumn, the hedge cutting has to be done by the end of February.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

I was installed on a Thursday and only connected the following Monday with Eir...All great now and happy, but at the time the installers said this only happens with Eir form some reason.

Advertisement