Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Mor-Riomhaire

@NBAiii Thanks again for answering my question. Luckily, another NBI guy showed up here today to inspect the work from yesterday. He was really helpful and a nice guy. He looked up my premises on his device and told me that I would be connected to the DP in the trench, up the pole and into my house.

Importantly, he mentioned that all of Roscommon will be pre-order by the end of November 21, as this is when they hand it over. He did add, that this does not mean live, but he was hopeful this would be before the end of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

For clarity, all of Roscommon is only Roscommon town and surrounding townlands, not Roscommon county.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

Great stuff @Strettie11 ! Delighted it all worked out in the end. Better late than never

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Mor-Riomhaire

Yes, sorry. Only the ones that can be found in a map of the previous post which shows the Ribbons.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Keepitclean

Will be great to have. Hopefully its a smooth install.

Got mine as well today for install on November 1st.

Lads in and around for KN stringing more fibre on the poles today.

Clontuskert, beside the national school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 moc1985

I was out clearing ivy and cutting trees and branches today from around the pole that it's going to be coming from coming into the house 🏠

I want it to be same day job if possible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Redriddick

Manhole outside my house was replaced with a bigger one yesterday. I had assumed they would as the one there was very small. Lads splicing iut there again this morning.

I had a quick look at my "eircom" Box on tha gable of my house, and then in the attic. Wire for phone come from attic down to box but they will not move so I think I'm in bother.

From manhole on road to box in gable is sound but from box in gable to attic is not gonna work so I'm in a bit of bother there............

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Pique

They could run from the box on the gable to an entry point and drill through the wall and mount the ONT on the inside then perhaps? Like the SIRO guys do from the ESB box.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Redriddick

Perhaps yes but I will be doing a bit of recon over the weekend!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Dceng2

They were back our way again this week putting up Distribution Points (They still have a few more to do). All the standard NBI DP's... except for the last one at the end of the run. It's very much what I call an "Open-Eir" Distribution Point but with NBI labels. I'm just wondering if NBI are using multiple Distribution Box Models?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,548 ✭✭✭✭listermint

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Brilliant. I was chatting to a few around Aughrim, Liscappul, Urraghry, Glan areas and similar stories. Modems landed in most cases and/or install dates next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Serious work going on the R610 Rochestown Rd. between Hop Island and Passage Soccer club today by KN/NBI. Long stretch of road closed off. Assume connecting the already live Rochestown area with Passage.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭NBAiii

Yes, they are using two models of DPs or splice closures as NBI refer to them. They are both manufactured by 3M. The larger one would be used for its higher cable and/or fusion splice capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭NBAiii

3500 orders and 2246 connections made as of the 8th October.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Anyone an update on their area, I've hit the 6 month of pre order now ha, hopefully so

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭johnnyboy08

It's not much but there's hedge and tree cutting going on in the Wexford DA eg along road from Wexford Town, Larkinstown, Ballyhogue in preparation for fibre cable going up. That DA is due for connection from Nov 21 to Jan 22 and it's good to see some progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭clohamon

No definition of "proper broadband" included but, assuming it's FTTP, then 10% would be c.240K premises.

Which means either

• that the recently announced Eircom 200K will not be deployed within the IFN timeframe (2024/5) or
    • the NBP will run late by about 100K at the end of 2026, or
    • some mixture of the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 icoa

I got an NBP date of 2025-2026, so assuming that they wouldn't reach that target either, I got Starlink a few weeks ago. It's not cheap and it's not perfect, but I can get up to 200mbps and using a booster aerial on my house I was getting as low as 0.01mbps in the evening from my eir router. Starlink say that they will be offering a phone service using their system soon, with a battery back-up in case of power cuts, so no regrets so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭SkepticQuark

Plenty of work still happening in the Monard area outside of Tipperary Town, no sign of DPs yet though. Probably expect the Dec 21-Feb 22 to get pushed tbh despite the pretty much daily presence of various contractors, seems whatever they're doing along the N24 is taking them a while to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭cargo

Still no movement on the Dundalk DA. Anyone got any info at all? Just saying Oct - Dec but been in pre-order for weeks now and all works seem to be done up around the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

Update (in bold)...

Area: West Wicklow. Specifically the lane I live on.

Some people have asked for timeframes. So in my particular case (might apply overall)...

September 2020: One man and an Actavo/NBI van doing a survey.

December 2020: One man taking pictures of poles etc.

26th March 2021: Contractors cutting hedges and trees.

30th August 2021: A crew arrived and strung fiber between the poles.

During the week of 11th Oct 2021 to 15th Oct 2021, a crew arrived and installed a lot of DPs (much more than I expected).

Anticipated availability: October 2021 - December 2021.

Anticipated availability: January 2022 - April 2022.

Anticipated date for connection: April 2022 - June 2022

We're still 6-8 months away from connection even though DPs are now in place.

Does this sound right or is there room for optimism for earlier availability?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 pman35

Hi all. First time comment on this. Has anyone any information on the castlebar DA? Its down for connection between (jan 22 & Mar 22) but looking around the area theres no sign of any fibre cable up on any poles yet. Surely they won't get all the cable and DPs up that quick? And ready for connection by Mar 22? With all of the push backs during the year already im starting to lose hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭johnnyboy08

Welcome @pman35

I wouldn't be worried yet unless your date changes. I'm in Wexford with dates from Nov 21 to Jan 22 and there's no sign of cable or DPs yet. There has been a lot more noticeable activity in the last week with hedge cutting, additional ducting and vans checking routes which would make me think cable and DPS will follow soon with splicing and connections in Jan/Feb.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Hi,

Moved into my new build house last weekend and got my NBI connection last Tuesday morning 👌 couldn't have timed it better even though there was a bit of a struggle to actually get me surveyed as I didnt have an Eircode when they did the initial surveys.

Anyway the install went as smotth as butter... but TBH a lot of that was down to me as I made sure I had everything in place. I had about 100m of ducting running to the nearest pole on the road with draw rope and a couple of junction boxes where there was a change of direction. This duct went to my ETU box and on the internal of the NTU I has a double power socket and a CAT6 termination. The put the ONT on the internal wall and actually covered my CAT wall plate so you cant even see CAT6

The CAT 6 then goes to my rack where I have the IT setup of my dreams, Unifi Dream Machine PRO, 24 Port POE switch and 5 access points...I can get 500mbps wifi in practially every corner of my house. I also have about 32 CAT6 Drops around the house and hard wire everything if possible

I went with the 1Gbps package from Pure Telecom and Im not going to get too upset if I don't see speeds of 900+mbps in every speed test I do and it does vary a lot....

My Parents just got connected yesterday as well but that was a whole different story that involved about 10 crews in total, three separate days and digging up main roads and their driveway....but to be honest as well and fair play to my old man who is 87 he had laid about 150m of ducting 10 years ago that could use. Anyway my parents can watch mass now on YouTube without any buffering 😂

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

One comment I would have thought my pings would have been better!! I had Eir FTTH a couple of years ago and I used to get single digit pings....

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Pique

87 and getting ftth? Bloody hell. They'd be my parents age and they grew up with oil lamps. Great to see people like them embracing the modern tech.

Your setup sounds sweet too though hehe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Do me a favour and speedtest it between 8 and 10pm and see if you see below 10% of your rated speed, or your ping shooting up to 10x what it normally is.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Eir pings are likely to be higher on NBI because it's not Eir's network so I would expect a few extra ms over Eir's FTTH Network.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Agent Avenger

I’ve just heard recently that all of the Carrigaline deployment area should obviously have been on the line from Carrigaline but it’s already at full capacity which is why they still haven’t connected Passage and Monkstown. So that line you saw them working on has been brought all the way from Midleton, through the Jack Lynch tunnel and all the way around for the last few houses, not sure of the exact numbers, I’d guess somewhere between 150-300. It seems very inefficient.

The only thing is I’m pretty sure there are about 8,500 premises in the Midleton DA and there are only about 4,500 in the Carrigaline DA. If Carrigaline was already at full capacity (this came from a manager in charge of the local network build) how will they fit that many premises on the Midleton line especially since it’s serving premises across the harbour too?! I would assume this is why the Midleton rollout has been delayed too.

Advertisement