Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Mor-Riomhaire

It appears that the 5 Ribbons in the Roscommon DA have all gone to pre-order status. A friend of mine near the Galway Road, shown as pre-order on NBI website is being connected by Eir (KN to do install) this Thursday. Anyone else hear of connections this early?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

Can someone explain how this would be the case? Surely the DAs are sized proportionately to exchange capacity? Is it a fibre technology issue (ports,etc.) or lack of physical space for equipment in the exchange that would cause something like this? I would have assumed fibre needed less physical space in the exchanges due to the multiplexing afforded by splitter between the premises and the exchange....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Pique

Nope. Out near Knockcroghery here and no word on install yet. Looking good for Xmas though by the sounds of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Agent Avenger

I’d love to know too as I didn’t think it would as much of an issue for fibre! I don’t know much about how it works but I thought fibre cables would be able to handle a higher volume of premises at least. I’m going to try and ask them for some clarification when they eventually get around to our house.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 moc1985

Had KN out today, site survey as they need traffic management to run from the pole.on the road to the gable end of the house

apparently that will be within 48 hours

I've waited 7 years and suffered imagine for that length so I'll be patient 😌

Oatfield,ballinasloe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭bdogg

Blackrock, Dundalk neck o' the woods

Preorder:16/09/21 via Digiweb

Update: 01/11/21: "Thank you for your recent Fibre Broadband order from Digiweb. The service will be live in December and you will soon receive your install date via SMS."

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Keepitclean

Just finished the install now. Got here just before 1pm. He had a hard time bringing the cable from the pole outside my house to the DP a few poles away. But got it from an old duct to my house no problems after that.

Speeds are very good compared to my old ones.

So happy out now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

Roscommon Town neck o' the woods

Preorder:01/10/21 via Digiweb

Update: 01/11/21: "Thank you for your recent Fibre Broadband order from Digiweb. The service will be live in December and you will soon receive your install date via SMS."

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭mun1

fedamore , Co Limerick

preorder since april 2021.

update from Digiweb

Thank you for your recent Fibre Broadband order from Digiweb. The service will be live in December and you will soon receive your install date via SMS."

the fibre is coming, the fibre is coming ,

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭NBAiii

As far as I can see you have never been part or the Carrigaline deployment area nor the Midelton area. Here is a section of map of the two areas, Carrigaline in blue and Midelton brown.

The red line is the backhaul cable from the Mahon PoH to Midelton. It passes through the Jack Lynch tunnel. It has always been part of the design, Midleton cannot go live without being connected to Mahon.

What you have been told makes little sense. A deployment area doesn't magically become full. They would be well planned in advance to accomodate a specific number of premises.

I have speculated to you before that there is an OLT in Mahon that would serve your area, I cannot be sure of this as I haven't seen maps confirming it but to say that you would be connect to the OLT in Midleton seems far-fetched. The cable distance to Mahon from the Midleton OLT is nearly 24km, for it to then travel down to Passage West and further would be pushing the limits of the technology. I just don't see it.

What may have happened and this is just my speculation, is that they had intended to launch your area with Carrigaline but have run into delays. They want to get paid for Carrigaline so have now pushed your area into Midleton.

I'd be interested to hear if you spoke yourself to the build manager and if so did you ask him if there is an OLT in Mahon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭db

Same here in Clonlara, Co Clare. It'll be great to have it in for Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Mikefitzs

Got an email update re connection in our area in Clare. Between Jan 25 and Dec 26. Why even bother with such a **** update, what's the point. You get a bit excited when the email comes and then you get the massive drop - 5 fn years more to wait.

Just a passenger

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Did anything ever come of the acceleration talk? Thought we were meant to hear weeks ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

I was hoping you'd jump in @NBAiii you big insider you!

Thanks for the detail, but I sincerely hope you're wrong about DA premises shuffling for the sake of getting paid. It makes sense from a commercial point of view, but you'd imagine the DECC would have information on the number of premises in each DA, and that if those numbers are going down in one DA, and rising correspondingly in a neighboring DA, questions will have to be asked?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

That was for the 7 year plan, this is what they said at committee about bringing that back to 5 years

Chairman: When will we get an idea of whether NBI is bringing the timeframe back? Is the intention to bring it back to five years? I am not saying it is achievable but is that the target?

Mr. T.J. Malone: The target is to see if we can do it within five years. We are currently evaluating all of the different elements and components that feed into that. As the Chairman might appreciate, we are six months behind the original seven years at the moment. We are actively out there getting to see what is and is not feasible. We are confident we can deliver the seven-year plan and that we can deliver it in under seven years. At this point, however, we are not sure of the extent to which that will be the case. That will not be until we get all of the different criteria back and understand what that gives us. That is ongoing and active and we are working-----

Chairman: When will NBI know that? When does Mr. Malone anticipate NBI will be able to give clarity around bringing back the timeframe?

Mr. T.J. Malone: We will have a very good idea what those timeframes look like by the end of this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭NBAiii

I was more trying to fit the story told to Agent Avenger about being moved to Midelton. I assume if it were to happen it would be with the consent of DECC, but I have no evidence of it happening. I could well be way off with the theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 niallniall

Hi,

I have one query,

When the efibre roll out is eventually installed onto my existing "Part-Fibre" line which claims to provide up to 100mB.

I actually get about 35mb+ as my line is only capable of supporting a 50mB data signal.

Will this upgrade mean I will get closer to the 100mB?

Any genuine advice and suggestion will be appreciated.

N

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Not that I expect them to catch up or accelerate anyways, but suppose that it means they aim to either finish by end of 2024 (5 years) or end of 2026 (full 7 years)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Pique

Your old line is defunct once the new one is installed. It replaces the old one, not connects to it. You can then get up to 1gbps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭db

You are most likely not included in the NBI intervention area as you already have 35mb bandwidth. Check your eircode on the NBI website to see if you are included.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭nagel

Nbi and Imagine,

Just had a nice imagine salesman at the door , said that they are contracted by NBI to fill the gap until fibre is in my area (jan 25 to dec 25). Offering 29.99 for first 6 mts then 59.99 phone and calls included. anyone know anything about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭alec76

Fair play to them, I've thought they couldn't suprise me anymore.

ps.Stay away from them.

If such a scheme existed NBI would have announced it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Imagine are Imagine - I use them myself as they are the only provider available to me. Depending on where you live they can vary from acceptable to utterly appalling. See the Imagine thread for details of how good and bad they can be.

Did they actually give you anything with that "pitch" written down?

The "Contracted by the NBI" bit , because that part is an outright lie and they should be reported for it, even if it's just that one Sales person trying it on , they shouldn't be allowed get away with that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Complete and utter lies by Imagine. They are getting desperate now. Imagine have no connection to the NBI as that is a FTTH solution and Imagine is basic wireless. Imagine was one of the first solutions to be dropped from the NBI tender as their technology is not fibre and not future proofed.

I wonder if this has been sanctioned by Imagine or just a solo by one of their sales people, I assume imagine they'll deny all knowledge in either case.

Easy for Imagine to trawl the NBI map to identify and target those premises far away from a fibre connection.

A 50 Mbps line, as already mentioned, is likely to be outside an NBP intervention area. Check the NBI map at https://nbi.ie/map/.

Your current efibre line is copper from a cabinet or exchange with a max speed of 100 Mbps close to the cabinet, but speed decreases with distance. Copper is now on life-support and likely gone by the end of the decade, no further upgrades.

Open eir are rolling out fibre to areas like yours as part of their IFN (urban fibre) rollout over the coming years.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭nagel

Id say it was a solo run , when I asked when this agreement was reached he told me it was 3 weeks ago, but on the card dropped into neighbours house

tells a different story

• Registered Users Posts: 16 niallniall

Okay, I understand not being part of the great NBI plannned roll-out, but how do I get fibre, I was told by an Eir Engineer that all the lines will be upgraded eventually or will I have to apply for FTTH connected by Eir (KN to do install) at some stage?

• Advertisement

Basically depends on when the other 2 commercial fibre providers roll it out to your area, open-eir and SIRO.

This is the open-eir website, it has a link to their rollout map - https://www.openeir.ie/, they don't interact directly with the public as they are a wholesale provider only.

otherwise contact one of the retail providers, such as eir, Vodafone, etc., to see if they have any update for your location.

Advertisement