Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apu no longer voiced Simpsons

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,083 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Release the hounds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

KiKi III wrote: »
    It sounds like you're offended by the offendedness... :p

Haha very much so, that's my plan to get rid of offended people, by being offended by them getting offended, I'll take one for the team :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Now I don't have a problem with people being 'offended', but I do have a problem with networks appeasing these snowflake facists.

Who'd have thought network execs would be such a craven bunch, eh?

Shocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

r3nu4l wrote: »
    This is disheartening

you mean in the way Indians love ripping out hearts to honour Khali?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,812 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I mean, they could keep the character of Apu, but have him voiced by an actual Indian person...

Why ? he is voiced by Hank Azaria.... A noted ‘voice actor’. If I’m putting on a play tomorrow, the leading character is French, there are no French people in the group of actors I work with but their talents WILL extend to portraying the French person accurately and faithfully I have no issues.... I’m not putting adds in the newspaper looking for French actors. Nor should the Simpsons be looking for an Indian actor....their pool of voice acting talent can ensure that the character is played and portrayed accurately and faithfully...

If I went to India, found that they had a production of ‘The Field’... I won’t be asking if or why they haven’t looked for Irish people to act in it... it’s ACTING..in all essence, people playing characters, pretending to be those they are not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Orwell's vision of the future gets closer and closer.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Life used to be fun, and then the wokes ruined everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,963 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Nothing against the young people, I'm 31 myself (don't really know if that's young though ha).

I do have something against the perpetually offended though, they're worthless people but they start to become dangerous when newtorks cede to their demands.

Sure they may not be affecting you just yet, but someday something you enjoy might be taken away because some numpty is 'offended' by it. You'd be very naive to think this couldn't happen!

I watched the Simpsons last night with my nephew, the one where Homer goes to space, class episode.

Do you really agree with getting rid of Apu? Were you actually offended by his appearances on the show?

I'm under no illusion that things I like aren't subject to change. I accept that things change all the time.

You might notice I asked when the last time you watched a new Simpsons episode. The one with homer in space might be 20 years old.

I suggest the Simpsons new episodes are irrelevant to you but you're still getting excited about it changing even though you don't watch new episodes. So to answer your question I'd say the makers of Simpsons are entitled to change the new shows to hit their target market. You are not their target market and neither am i because we don't watch the new shows.

So in that sense I agree with changing the show to match their target market.

I'm under no illusion that things I like aren't subject to change. I accept that things change all the time.

You might notice I asked when the last time you watched a new Simpsons episode. The one with homer in space might be 20 years old.

I suggest the Simpsons new episodes are irrelevant to you but you're still getting excited about it changing even though you don't watch new episodes. So to answer your question I'd say the makers of Simpsons are entitled to change the new shows to hit their target market. You are not their target market and neither am i because we don't watch the new shows.

So in that sense I agree with changing the show to match their target market.

But I asked you do you agree with Apu being taken off the air, yes or no? I mean I assume the answer is yes.

Things do change but they don't always change for the better.

No I don't watch new episodes and no we may not be the target market and I get that. But there may not be too many decent shows to watch in the future if networks continue to appease the perpetually offended, that's my main issue here.

The Simpson's have had their day, it hasn't been good for 20 years but I still care about the show because it was bloody brilliant.

Now you may say 'don't worry about it, you don't even watch the new episodes', but what if these far left 'woke' loony bins get the older episodes off the air as well.

Would you support that? I mean that vile racist stereotype that is Apu was in those episodes as well so I don't see why they aren't 'offensive'.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

so are all comedic accent impersonations racist now? or only when a white person is doing a send up of a non white person?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,815 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Isn't it great when a show comes up with a scene that can forever be used by everyone else in all other factors of life, and then comes full circle to be used on itself?

I'm speaking of the 'Stop he's already dead' scene, but instead of the Hamburglar it's the Simpsons themselves.

So, going forward, no one can play anyone else of a different race/ethnicity to themselves. No one can voice anyone not from the same race/ethnicity as themselves. So, does that mean Christopher Judge can no longer play Kratos from God of War? Kratos has been shown to be Spartan, and mostly white with a tan (think 300), but is voiced by a black man (2 actually). Or is it ok for other ethnicities or races to play a different one as long as it doesn't use a stereotype? Would White Chicks 2 be off the cards if someone wanted to do it?

I don't care all that much to be honest, i'm more for the right person getting the job.

But I asked you do you agree with Apu being taken off the air, yes or no? I mean I assume the answer is yes.

Things do change but they don't always change for the better.

No I don't watch new episodes and no we may not be the target market and I get that. But there may not be too many decent shows to watch in the future if networks continue to appease the perpetually offended, that's my main issue here.

The Simpson's have had their day, it hasn't been good for 20 years but I still care about the show because it was bloody brilliant.

Now you may say 'don't worry about it, you don't even watch the new episodes', but what if these far left 'woke' loony bins get the older episodes off the air as well.

Would you support that? I mean that vile racist stereotype that is Apu was in those episodes as well so I don't see why they aren't 'offensive'.

I completely accept the show deciding to change the show to suit their target market. If that means taking Apu off the show, then that's their call. They Tailored the show to your taste when you were their target market (that's why you think it was brilliant) and they're doing the same now to tailor the show to their new target market. That's just business.

You can call them woke and left wing loony bins and whatever else, but tailoring products to suit marked demands is not new and it's not unique to left wing loony bins.

As you get older fewer shows will be aimed at you. As your tastes are refined fewer shows will appeal to you. As you see more things fewer jokes will be novel to you. That's just the way the market is.

I don't watch the old Simpsons episodes either so I wouldn't be upset personally if they weren't on TV. I wouldn't even notice. It's not relevant to modern day so it's only really good for nostalgia purposes.

It seems they're are 2 groups of offended people. People who didn't like the Apu stereotype and people who are offended by any change to the Simpsons (even the Simpsons reacting to market demands. I wouldn't worry about wither group but I do respect a business responding to the market.

so are all comedic accent impersonations racist now? or only when a white person is doing a send up of a non white person?

White people are usually to blame, well white men really!

But anyway seen as how Apu is so evil, there's a few more Simpsons characters that need to go:

1. Groundskeeper Willie - obviously, Scottish stereotype.

2. The Leprechaun - makes fun of the irish accent, not acceptable, I'm boiling with outrage at this character.

3. Marge - a nice lady and a great mother, but not a 'strong independent woman'. It's completely unacceptable to show good, caring, family women on tv these days, she needs to divorce Homer and become CEO of Apple.

4. Krusty the clown - I'm sure there are plenty of 'clowns' offended by Krusty ;-)

5. Homer - the epitome of a fat, lazy, stupid, working class white male.....strange how you never hear a word about these stereotype :-)

Jaysus the Simpsons and tv in general will be class once we clear out all the undesirables.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

biko wrote: »
    Life used to be fun, and then the wokes ruined everything.

The Simpsons hasn't been fun/funny for basically 2 decades so it only gets ruined when it is renewed for more seasons.

I completely accept the show deciding to change the show to suit their target market. If that means taking Apu off the show, then that's their call. They Tailored the show to your taste when you were their target market (that's why you tho k it was brilliant) and they're doing the same now to tailor the show to their new target market. That's just business.

You can call them woke and left wing loony bins and whatever else, but tailoring products to suit marked demands is not new and it's not unique to left wing loony bins.

As you get older fewer shows will be aimed at you. As your tastes are refined fewer shows will appeal to you. As you see more things fewer jokes will be novel to you. That's just the way the market is.

I don't watch the old Simpsons episodes either so I wouldn't be upset personally if they weren't on TV. I wouldn't even notice. It's not relevant to modern day so it's only really good for nostalgia purposes.

It seems they're are 2 groups of offended people. People who didn't like the Apu stereotype and people who are offended by any change to the Simpsons (even the Simpsons reacting to market demands. I wouldn't worry about wither group but I do respect a business responding to the market.

Listen I know we're in election season here but a yes or no answer would have done me, no need for the lenghty politician style response.

I'll try once more as a matter of interest and I'll leave it after that if don't wish to answer me straight, (which in fairness you're not obliged to), but anyway here goes:

1. Do you agree wirh Apu being taken off the Simpson? Yes or No.

2. Do you think the Simpsons should be taken off the air altogether? (including the older episodes as they may be offensive to modern audiences). Yes or No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Dr. Colossus

Release the hounds

Thank you, come again!

Listen I know we're in election season here but a yes or no answer would have done me, no need for the lenghty politician style response.

I'll try once more as a matter of interest and I'll leave it after that if don't wish to answer me straight, (which in fairness you're not obliged to), but anyway here goes:

1. Do you agree wirh Apu being taken off the Simpson? Yes or No.

2. Do you think the Simpsons should be taken off the air altogether? (including the older episodes as they may be offensive to modern audiences). Yes or No.

I'm not sure why you're not satisfied with the response. I wouldn't get involved in either advocating for it against the Apu character.

I also wouldn't advocate for or against taking the Simpsons off the air.

Sometimes real life isn't as simple as advocating for or against things.
    Both of those are are business decisions. I get that you would prefer to blame the woke and the loony bins, but fact is its a business decision to tailor the show to its target audience. Neither you nor I get a vote because we don't watch the show anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Find someone that does an apu impression and get them to do it.

Wait unit, the Scots, Irish, Rich Texans, Japanese lads all kick off too...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I mean, they could keep the character of Apu, but have him voiced by an actual Indian person...
    But isnt denying a person a job because he's not Indian discrimination?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,328 ✭✭✭✭8-10

But isnt denying a person a job because he's not Indian discrimination?

Who's being denied a job?

• Advertisement

I'm not sure why you're not satisfied with the response. I wouldn't get involved in either advocating for it against the Apu character.

I also wouldn't advocate for or against taking the Simpsons off the air.

Sometimes real life isn't as simple as advocating for or against things.
    Both of those are are business decisions. I get that you would prefer to blame the woke and the loony bins, but fact is its a business decision to tailor the show to its target audience. Neither you nor I get a vote because we don't watch the show anymore.

You've posted quite a few responses here and made quite a few points which seems strange for someone who claims to be 'neither for nor against' Apu or the Simpson.

I prefer the direct answers, so being direct I have to say I don't believe you. I think you do support generation offended, you should own it though rather than taking the convoluted route.

Anyway, I'd said I'd leave it there if you dodged my yes or no questions and I'm a man of my word, feel free to have the last word.

All the best.

8-10 wrote: »
    Who's being denied a job?
    Some people wanted Hank Azria removed from his job as Apu as he's not Indian.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,328 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Some people wanted Hank Azria removed from his job as Apu as he's not Indian.

Who did?

He's the one who made the statement in the original post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

White people are usually to blame, well white men really!

But anyway seen as how Apu is so evil, there's a few more Simpsons characters that need to go:

1. Groundskeeper Willie - obviously, Scottish stereotype.

2. The Leprechaun - makes fun of the irish accent, not acceptable, I'm boiling with outrage at this character.

But at least in those cases, they got a Scot and a Leprechaun to provide the voices. Just cant find a link, but have seen it listed.

Who did?

Kikii111 stated here a few posts up that an Indian should do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

The Simpsons has always been full of stereotypes, it's a ****ing cartoon. No reasonable person thinks that all people from India are like Apu, he's a caricature of a stereotype. Every time they went to Ireland, every possible stereotype is on full show and all we do is cringe at the stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,815 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Who did?

Exactly, he bowed to pressure to stop doing it, and the main reason it's all up in arms is because Hank is white.

Thank you, come again!

Not on your life my Hindu friend

But at least in those cases, they got a Scot and a Leprechaun to provide the voices. Just cant find a link, but have seen it listed.

Haha well that's alright then.

Any openings for a fat, lazy, stupid white fella to play Homer? I'm thinking of a career change :-)

• Advertisement

Haha well that's alright then.

Any openings for a fat, lazy, stupid white fella to play Homer? I'm thinking of a career change :-)

Trump might be available soon

Advertisement