Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apu no longer voiced Simpsons

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Man I love those 2 films, absolute classics, be brilliant to see the reactions of generation offended watching them :-)

Stick on a few old Bond films as well just for good measure, the ones with Sean Connery slapping árses.

Be an entertaining afternoon!

source.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Yurt! wrote: »
    A big old Sasanach played Dev in that movie and people didn't lose their marbles over it. Kitty Kiernan was protrayed by an American lord save us an guard us.

Surely nobody watches that film any more for that very reason. Its grossly offensive, and comparable say, to watching The Eternal Jew, and thinking it a mighty fine and informative film.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,328 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Lot of whataboutism around today

• Registered Users Posts: 19,963 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I know that, most people who have seen the film a few times will know that, but it's these woke types who wouldn't be able to see it, wouldn't be able to read between the lines and just take offence to it. That's why it would be funny, they wouldn't be able to see past the initial offence.

Sure. And what do you take from the fact that the scenario you outlined above, hasn’t actually happened? The young people have access to all the media, but haven’t gotten upset about Blazing Saddles as so many people in these threads, predict they will.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,815 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

They haven't got round to it yet. I dunno, I don't follow the upset woke crowd. As I said, I want to get the easily offended into a room to watch it and record the reaction. It would make money. I didn't say it has already happened, I didn't infer it would happen, and tbh I really don't care if it never happens. But if lyrics from 'Baby it's cold outside' were changed to appease these bellends, then I'm sure getting them to watch Blazing Saddles will have a similar comedic outcome.

And you don't think so, which is totally ok, we will agree to disagree on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,963 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

They haven't got round to it yet. I dunno, I don't follow the upset woke crowd. As I said, I want to get the easily offended into a room to watch it and record the reaction. It would make money. I didn't say it has already happened, I didn't infer it would happen, and tbh I really don't care if it never happens. But if lyrics from 'Baby it's cold outside' were changed to appease these bellends, then I'm sure getting them to watch Blazing Saddles will have a similar comedic outcome.

And you don't think so, which is totally ok, we will agree to disagree on it.

Yeah I don't think it will ever arise. I think the frequency with which the offended by the offended, anti-woke crowd bring up Blazing Saddles as being next on the woke crowd's list, you'd think they might have at least made a bit if a stir about BS. But not yet.

The anti-woke crowd would cream themselves with offence if it ever happens though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

KiKi III wrote: »
    So I take it you'd all be grand with an English, American or Aussie actor playing Michael Collins?
    I'd have no issues with that. Liam Neeson who played Michael Collins has also played several characters in movies that weren't Irish. Should he have said no to those roles?
    And by the way Liam Neeson is from the U.K. Who Michael Collins fought against.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,240 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

KiKi III wrote: »
    So I take it you'd all be grand with an English, American or Aussie actor playing Michael Collins?

I have no problem with it as long as they do a decent job.
    Liam Nesson did a decent job as Collins despite being from Belfast.
    Alan Rickman did a good job as Dev in the same film and Rickman was from London.

What gets me about the whole thing now is that Irish people seem to be dying to be offended by things that the Americans get offended by. Or American issues.

Things like Irish people do #notmypresident and guff like that oblivious to the fact that as Irish people Michael D. is your president not Trump!

Also if you look and how all nations are stereotyped in the Simpsons it is not only Apu. It has just attracted attention because his character is 'a person colour' as they say now.

Australia:

Ireland: 'Catholic Heaven'

#

St Patrick's day

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,328 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Things like Irish people do #notmypresident and guff like that oblivious to the fact that as Irish people Michael D. is your president not Trump!

....doesnt that make the hashtag accurate?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

In these situations I always see way more people angry about the so called 'PC Brigade' than I see people calling for stuff to be cancelled, if the Simpsons was still in anyway decent then I might be foaming at the mouth too, I've no intention of ever watching a new episode so I couldn't give a sh1te

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Even though The Simpsons has been utter shyte for years, I still care about it.

If someone who is Indian and living in the U.S. finds the voice for Apu insulting/ignorant (one guy said that it's the accent which was used to mock his dad when he - the son - was growing up) that's their opinion and I can't really tell them not to think that. And seeing as I'm not Indian-American, I can't proclaim to know how they feel.

However, I also have my opinion - and I really think people should consider intent when it comes to humour. The Simpsons' writers are/were not stupid people - they obviously know Indian folk don't speak exactly like that. But they do a little bit - and such is the humour of The Simpsons, it was exaggerated. I think they were mocking the mockery, rather than mocking, if you get me. :pac:

Also, consider Apu as a character - has a doctorate, runs a business almost singlehandedly, works his hump off, is a decent guy... except for the gone-off food he sold, granted... and cheating on Manjula... But compare him to so many of the other main characters - he's a beacon of virtue next to them.

The main point though, is that, as said, The Simpsons takes the piss out of absolutely everyone, none moreso than white christians. Groundskeeper Willie is a really negative stereotype of a Scottish man. And they destroy the Irish! Hurt is not intended.

What I really dislike is the whole "getting offended on behalf of" thing that this has led to. Suddenly an objection to Apu - where was that objection for the previous 25+ years? Oh yeah, people have to be TOLD what to find offensive. I remember seeing an article about this on Facebook and one of the commenters (a white woman) tagged her Indian friend saying "Omg I'm so sorry - I'll never watch The Simpsons again!" The friend was like "Huh...?" That was kinda hilarious. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

I'd have no issues with that. Liam Neeson who played Michael Collins has also played several characters in movies that weren't Irish. Should he have said no to those roles?

He's an Irish man from the north of Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Which is in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

Maybe the answer is to abandon the mainstream.

Retreat to our niches, places which can't be threatened by the network losing advertising revenue. Or opinion pieces by various thought police.

Retreat to our dugouts. Enjoy what we want on our terms. Private. Immune.

Like (old version) Stern on satellite radio, stop being part of the public domain, then every time a whinger says 'you can't say that' just rip the almighty piss out of them and double down, immune from recourse.

What can they do?.... Cancel their subscription, great, bye bye.

He is indeed. Many people from Northern Ireland identify as Irish, and qualify for an Irish passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Apu was one of the more intelligent characters on the show. He went to Springfield Heights Institute of Technology much like the show itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Which is in the UK.

:rolleyes:

valoren wrote: »
    Api was one of the more intelligent characters on the show. He went to Springfield Heights Institute of Technology much like the show itself.
    Under the tutelage of the brilliant Professor Frink. He completed his undergraduate at CalTech - Calcutta Institute of Technology, one of the top graduates in a class of seven million. His degree was presented to him by a snake coming out of a basket.

Lol, The Simpsons was so naughty and hilarious! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

In these situations I always see way more people angry about the so called 'PC Brigade' than I see people calling for stuff to be cancelled, if the Simpsons was still in anyway decent then I might be foaming at the mouth too, I've no intention of ever watching a new episode so I couldn't give a sh1te

I agree 100%. The irony is unbelievable.

Which is in the UK.
    Raconteuse wrote: »
    He is indeed. Many people from Northern Ireland identify as Irish, and qualify for an Irish passport.

Mr Neeson is actually a nationalised American citizen. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Mr Neeson is actually a nationalised American citizen.

You have just proved how something pedantic can be turned into something to be offended by.

Mr Neeson is actually a nationalised American citizen. :D
    I'm an Australian citizen but I'll always be Irish.:D

Or he's a UK man from the north of Ireland. All my friends from Tyrone have UK written on their passports, the health system they use belongs to the UK and they use UK currency which is also used in Antrim where Liam Neesen is from.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭milehip

8-10 wrote: »
    OK boomer

OK Edgelord.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭milehip

Just wait till these guys hear about South Park!!!

Oh no my schityy rice

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Under the tutelage of the brilliant Professor Frink....

tute on, son! tute on!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

It should be fun when South Park bring in a similar character 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

You’ve obviously never looked at the replies on the actual The Simpsons twitter account?

A couple of years ago they tweeted a great gag written by Josh Weinstein
    I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too

The abuse that Josh Weinstein and Official The Simpsons got from these clowns over this whole thing and accusations of homophobia and transphobia too when The Simpson’s was one of very few shows on Murdochs Fox to tackle homophobia in the mid 1990s- Homers Phobia.

These are the same mostly white middle-upper class idiots that are tearing down statues in the United States in an attempt to reinterpret history. Still blaming slavery that happened 156 years ago as the reason why the majority of crime there is committed by black people. It’s many many other factors including black people segregating themselves from the rest of the population whilst stopping their own friends and family trying to better themselves. Witnessed this myself in Miami.

Confront homophobia and confront racism, but only when it is intended that way and not misconstrued. Everyone these days is trying to find offence in everything and with it they are doing more to revive/recruit for the far right than the likes of the KKK/EDL/Neo-Nazism ever could.

greencap wrote: »
    Maybe the answer is to abandon the mainstream.

Retreat to our niches, places which can't be threatened by the network losing advertising revenue. Or opinion pieces by various thought police.

Retreat to our dugouts. Enjoy what we want on our terms. Private. Immune.

Like (old version) Stern on satellite radio, stop being part of the public domain, then every time a whinger says 'you can't say that' just rip the almighty piss out of them and double down, immune from recourse.

What can they do?.... Cancel their subscription, great, bye bye.

That is kind of the way things are going already with podcasts etc.
    It leads to the otherside of the coin where everyone is just an echo chamber effect. Where it is only diehard fans that listen/watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,754 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It should be fun when South Park bring in a similar character 😂

People still watch that?

Advertisement