Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apu no longer voiced Simpsons

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,963 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

You've posted quite a few responses here and made quite a few points which seems strange for someone who claims to be 'neither for nor against' Apu or the Simpson.

I prefer the direct answers, so being direct I have to say I don't believe you. I think you do support generation offended, you should own it though rather than taking the convoluted route.

Anyway, I'd said I'd leave it there if you dodged my yes or no questions and I'm a man of my word, feel free to have the last word.

All the best.

It makes perfect sense when you consider that I said I don't watch Simpsons anymore. Therefore I don't have strong opinions on what characters they should keep or not.

But you have decided to deny the facts presented to you and create your own interpretation, so there would be no need to ask what I think because you can just make up my answers for me. That might make like simpler but won't make you more informed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

mrcheez wrote: »
    Trump might be available soon

Ah Trump can't play Homer, sure he has hair.....cough cough.

8-10 wrote: »
    OK boomer

How did nobody respond to this with 'thank you, come again'. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Some people wanted Hank Azria removed from his job as Apu as he's not Indian.

And a woman does Barts voice.

Is Nancy Cartwight getting the sack too? She actually does a few male characters, so surely the outrage will be magnified.

It's a cartoon that rips the phish out of every stereotype.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Tuff Gong

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    And a woman does Barts voice.

Is Nancy Cartwight getting the sack too? She actually does a few male characters, so surely the outrage will be magnified.

Goodness gracious me!

#CancelNancy
    #NancyCancelwright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,815 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Might as well cancel all Japanese animes so, nearly every male lead is voiced by a female, and think the same may be said of the dubbed versions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

It think it time to outright ban acting completely - its people pretending to be people that they aren't.

What about the stereotypical Irishman Barney Gumble? And its clear he's Irish despite his surname from the B Sharps episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,328 ✭✭✭✭8-10

How did nobody respond to this with 'thank you, come again'. :(

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112286473&postcount=18

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I stand by my signature.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Mr. Simpson, please pay for your purchases and get out and come again

• Registered Users Posts: 18,240 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-01-18/actor-to-stop-voicing-simpsons-character-apu/

In the past few months writers and voice actors were on the receiving end of abuse by generation Z on Twitter. Surprised it didn't happen sooner.

Now let us all go do what this generation has given the world, go eat tide pods and tax everyone to oblivion for owning a car with an internal combustion engine.

Is grounds keeper Willie still on the go?
    Surely offensive to Scots and/or those that look like Paddy Holohan / Conor McGregor? :rolleyes:

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

So I take it you'd all be grand with an English, American or Aussie actor playing Michael Collins?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

I am half Indian, my Dad's Indian... and neither of us had any issues with the character. Just took one irrelevant nobody to say something, backed up by the ego stroking PC brigade who aren't the ones "affected", to echo chamber their voice into some 'cause' while completely overlooking the FACT that this show is entirely centered around harmless stereotyping and caricatures.

Hate this faux morality and outrage culture the ̶W̶o̶r̶l̶d̶ West has delved in.

"First World Problems"

Can guarantee you had someone voiced a 'concern' on some "white" [yellow] stereotype there wouldn't be much of an outcry by these lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

The world has gone to pot. Madness.

Simpons has run its course though. Cancel it with a shred of dignity left.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

I still watch the first 10 seasons every now and again. Great great TV, even if its a cartoon.

The stuff they said and did back then, I can only imagine would cause huge outrage online now-a-days. Which is sad. When did society as a whole become so sensitive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

sdanseo wrote: »
    The world has gone to pot. Madness.

Simpons has run its course though. Cancel it with a shred of dignity left.

They are long past that point, sadly.

I think we should round up the most offended woke people in Ireland, put them into a room (about 30 of them) and make them watch some classic films, like Blazing Saddles, Airplane, and other 'couldn't be made in the current PC culture' films, record it and upload it to youtube. There's money to be made!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Just wait till these guys hear about South Park!!!

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Trey and Matt would laugh at them, and make an episode on it to make fun of.

• Advertisement

I think we should round up the most offended woke people in Ireland, put them into a room (about 30 of them) and make them watch some classic films, like Blazing Saddles, Airplane, and other 'couldn't be made in the current PC culture' films, record it and upload it to youtube. There's money to be made!

Man I love those 2 films, absolute classics, be brilliant to see the reactions of generation offended watching them :-)

Stick on a few old Bond films as well just for good measure, the ones with Sean Connery slapping árses.

Be an entertaining afternoon!

Haha was just thinking the same. South Park already have their own 'woke' charaters in PC Principal and Strong Woman :-)

White person plays character who was originally Asian: WHITEWASHING!
    But of course James Bond should be Black/female/disabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

chosen1 wrote: »
    This should be the final nail in the coffin of this once great show.

It's now been **** for 2/3 of it's existence. :(

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 24,812 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

KiKi III wrote: »
    I mean, they could keep the character of Apu, but have him voiced by an actual Indian person...

Or keep the character of Apu and keep him being voiced by an experienced and successful actor, you know, Hank Azaria who plays the parts of other people....for many years in both The Simpsons and film industry...

When Mr Azaria plays comic book guy, should every fat, overweight geek want that part played by someone other than a skinny, middle aged actor ?

Ah well, we can blame Hari Kondabolu for this anyway, he's the one who took the offence and didn't just air it, he created a documentary on it. At least I'll know not to watch anything he's in. Be great if South Park did a skit and created a similar character to Hari Kondabolu and called him Captain Buzzkill.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Thank You Come Again

Millennials getting offended because a Jew impersonates an Indian on a cartoon? Hmm.

Thankfully classic Simpsons predates the woke Caliphate.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,963 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Always amuses be when the anti-woke types bring up Blazing Saddles as an example of something the woke types would dislike. BS was about a town which need a black bloke to be their saviour the people started off racist and ended up overcoming their prejudice. You'd swear it was written by a committee of the PC brigade...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

KiKi III wrote: »
    So I take it you'd all be grand with an English, American or Aussie actor playing Michael Collins?

A big old Sasanach played Dev in that movie and people didn't lose their marbles over it. Kitty Kiernan was protrayed by an American lord save us an guard us.

First generation immigrants tend be tough as a leathery old boot and couldn't give a sh*te about characters like Apu. Second generation kids end up going to do Arts in UCD off the back of their parents labour and are a rather more sensitive bunch perhaps.

• Advertisement

Always amuses be when the anti-woke types bring up Blazing Saddles as an example of something the woke types would dislike. BS was about a town which need a black bloke to be their saviour the people started off racist and ended up overcoming their prejudice. You'd swear it was written by a committee of the PC brigade...

I know that, most people who have seen the film a few times will know that, but it's these woke types who wouldn't be able to see it, wouldn't be able to read between the lines and just take offence to it. That's why it would be funny, they wouldn't be able to see past the initial offence.

Advertisement