Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apu no longer voiced Simpsons

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

smilerf wrote:
    This is mental Soon a white taxi driver won't be allowed drive a black cab in London,

Personally I think they should ban racist Christmas songs like White Christmas. Its obviously about white supremacy. Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow is a drug song. They all offend me & should be banned, because I'm entitled!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Or he's a UK man from the north of Ireland. All my friends from Tyrone have UK written on their passports, the health system they use belongs to the UK and they use UK currency which is also used in Antrim where Liam Neesen is from.

He's an Irish man and a Gael.

I'm sorry if that is confusing to you.

He was raised under a UK jurisdiction foisted upon him; that really has nothing to do with his own sense of nationality.

Token elements of a particular jurisdiction such as that like currency, passports etc doesn't matter a jot. A good example here would be James McClean.

That's the reality of it I'm afraid. Certain people like yourself on Boards and elsewhere need to reconcile with the fact that there is people in the north of Ireland that identify as Irish as opposed to Northern Irish. Perhaps not your friends.

That always seems unpalatable to some folk. I wonder why.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,389 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Strumms wrote: »
    Why ? he is voiced by Hank Azaria.... A noted ‘voice actor’. If I’m putting on a play tomorrow, the leading character is French, there are no French people in the group of actors I work with but their talents WILL extend to portraying the French person accurately and faithfully I have no issues.... I’m not putting adds in the newspaper looking for French actors. Nor should the Simpsons be looking for an Indian actor....their pool of voice acting talent can ensure that the character is played and portrayed accurately and faithfully...

If I went to India, found that they had a production of ‘The Field’... I won’t be asking if or why they haven’t looked for Irish people to act in it... it’s ACTING..in all essence, people playing characters, pretending to be those they are not.

Your argument reminds me of this 1968 film The Party where Peter Sellers plays an Indian movie star at this crazy Hollywood party.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

In these situations I always see way more people angry about the so called 'PC Brigade' than I see people calling for stuff to be cancelled, if the Simpsons was still in anyway decent then I might be foaming at the mouth too, I've no intention of ever watching a new episode so I couldn't give a sh1te

Maybe if the gob****es didn't have such leverage to change stuff every week over trivial crap or whinge all the time. There wouldn't be do much outrage. Shut up and get on with their lives like everyone else. If yav time to notice this kind of thing or even care about it . Ya need to get a life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Strumms wrote: »
    Why ? he is voiced by Hank Azaria.... A noted ‘voice actor’. If I’m putting on a play tomorrow, the leading character is French, there are no French people in the group of actors I work with but their talents WILL extend to portraying the French person accurately and faithfully I have no issues.... I’m not putting adds in the newspaper looking for French actors. Nor should the Simpsons be looking for an Indian actor....their pool of voice acting talent can ensure that the character is played and portrayed accurately and faithfully...

If I went to India, found that they had a production of ‘The Field’... I won’t be asking if or why they haven’t looked for Irish people to act in it... it’s ACTING..in all essence, people playing characters, pretending to be those they are not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

The Simpsons ended after series 10 and I'll always hold those older episodes close to my heart but I couldn't care less what happens in the later episodes, they're soulless.

If anyone wants to watch a show where boundaries are still being pushed in terms of offending people, watch South Park. Great social commentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭TheDavester

GooglePlus wrote: »
    The Simpsons ended after series 10 and I'll always hold those older episodes close to my heart but I couldn't care less what happens in the later episodes, they're soulless.

If anyone wants to watch a show where boundaries are still being pushed in terms of offending people, watch South Park. Great social commentary.

im sure they'll yank the apu centric episodes off the tv rotation/disney plus and cut his bits out when hes not a focal part of an episode but appears

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

I'm under no illusion that things I like aren't subject to change. I accept that things change all the time.

You might notice I asked when the last time you watched a new Simpsons episode. The one with homer in space might be 20 years old.

I suggest the Simpsons new episodes are irrelevant to you but you're still getting excited about it changing even though you don't watch new episodes. So to answer your question I'd say the makers of Simpsons are entitled to change the new shows to hit their target market. You are not their target market and neither am i because we don't watch the new shows.

So in that sense I agree with changing the show to match their target market.
    Is that really the reason you agree with the change though?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,962 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

People still watch that?

Yeah it's probably back to its best now. It stays current and relevant, which is key.

A few years ago it changed from one off episodes to seasons with overarching storyline. If say it's back to its best.

They have a storyline about "memberberries" which cause people to be nostalgic for ththe good old days and lead to remakes of old movies like star wars and the kind of stuff Donald Trump stands for. This week Trump did a skit about "remember dishwashers used to be good? And showers used to be powerful and now they're just drip, drip, drip?" South Park has literally been covering this stuff for a couple of years now.

Staying relevant is key. Simpsons hasn't manages that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

The Simpsons didn't just become entirely sh1t at one fixed point. Numerous good episodes since season 10 (granted, numerous awful ones too). Season 17 or thereabouts is the point where it stopped being good entirely, with the exception of the Portlandia one imo.

• Advertisement

Is that really the reason you agree with the change though?

I don’t have a dog in the fight so I don’t strongly agree or disagree. I can’t fault Simpson’s for changing the show to meet market demands. Can you?

im sure they'll yank the apu centric episodes off the tv rotation/disney plus and cut his bits out when hes not a focal part of an episode but appears

And how would that make you feel?

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I'm finding it really hard to care about this. Yeah it's daft that people got offended about the skin colour of the person doing the voice of a character.

It's really hard to see how this is the final nail in the coffin though. The Simpsons writing has been going down hill for bloody decades now, but people still watch it in their millions.

They don't even watch it because it's funny, nor do they know why they watch it - just because It's "THE SIMPSONS" ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

GooglePlus wrote: »

Series 9.
    Raconteuse wrote: »
    The Simpsons didn't just become entirely sh1t at one fixed point. Numerous good episodes since season 10 (granted, numerous awful ones too). Season 17 or thereabouts is the point where it stopped being good entirely, with the exception of the Portlandia one imo.

No, it did. It really did. Post-series 9 Simpsons doesn’t exist to me. The Behind The Laughter episode being the exception and there’s always an exception. Apart from that episode, there is no season 10 or onwards episodes that is fit to even lick the boots of what came before.

I love The Father, The Son and the Holy Guest Star (s16) and Girls Just Want To Have Sums (s17). Also E I E I D'oh (s11).

Numerous other ones too but I'd have to go through them.

They're not as good as the golden era but still very good imo. Certainly far from shyte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I love The Father, The Son and the Holy Guest Star (s16) and Girls Just Want To Have Sums (s17). Also E I E I D'oh (s11).

Numerous other ones too but I'd have to go through them.

They're not as good as the golden era but still very good imo. Certainly far from shyte.

That’s very few. Who is going to comb through seasons looking for a half-decent episode when in the golden era, each and every episode was gold?

My point though is that it didn't just go completely to sh1t overnight. Imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I'm outraged that aliens missed out to humans on some of the voicing gigs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Natural Born Kissers was one of the funniest episodes. Homer and Marge get turned on by having sex in public. "Look at that Blimp, he's hanging from a balloon" was a great line.

I thought this was a post S10 episode but after checking Google it's the last episode of S9.

KiKi III wrote: »
    I mean, they could keep the character of Apu, but have him voiced by an actual Indian person...

Would that fix this "problem"?

So I assume the character of Apu remain the same, so the manufacturered outrage is that an American is doing an accent for an Indian character for 30 years and it's a problem now?

• Advertisement

Just watched the dental plan episode for the first time in years - god all mighty it is spectacular, felt a bit of a pang. :o

Genius. That kind of quality could never be sustained still - and that's ok - but it's such a shame just how bad it has become. Could never have imagined it becoming THIS bad...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

Just watched the dental plan episode for the first time in years - god all mighty it is spectacular, felt a bit of a pang. :o

Genius. That kind of quality could never be sustained still - and that's ok - but it's such a shame just how bad it has become. Could never have imagined it becoming THIS bad...

Ah Last Exit To Springfield, that's one of the best Simpsons episodes ever, brilliant from start to finish.

I love grandpa's mindless rambling to Mr Burns:

"One trick is to tell 'em stories that don't go anywhere, like the time I caught the ferry over to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for my shoe, so, I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time...."

Incredible writing. And it's not just the side splitting laughs, whether really clever or pure silly like Homer spinning on the floor - it's the animation, the music (Lisa's folky protest song is so perfect), the stylishness, the references (The Beatles inspired segment for the laughing gas is amazing), the impeccable attention to detail and awareness of popular culture.

Pure art.

Now do classical gas!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Can't we just like, take all these people who get offended by the slightest thing, ship 'em all off to an uncharted island, give them some seeds and chickens to farm their own food, and leave them there? No? Too extreme? Well, poop. I'm all outta ideas then.

jaxxx wrote: »
    Can't we just like, take all these people who get offended by the slightest thing, ship 'em all off to an uncharted island, give them some seeds and chickens to farm their own food, and leave them there? No? Too extreme? Well, poop. I'm all outta ideas then.

You could do that but then you wouldn’t have threads like this with people getting offended about the Simpsons changing to keep up with market demands. People get offended by small things. That’s just how some people are.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Doesn't mean anything to me since I stopped watching the Simpsons when it started to tank 20 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,547 ✭✭✭✭briany

Ah Last Exit To Springfield, that's one of the best Simpsons episodes ever, brilliant from start to finish.

I love grandpa's mindless rambling to Mr Burns:

"One trick is to tell 'em stories that don't go anywhere, like the time I caught the ferry over to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for my shoe, so, I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time...."

Molto bene...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 247 ✭✭car_radio19834

Get rid of Krusty, it's discriminatory towards clowns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,547 ✭✭✭✭briany

Watch out, Itchy! He's Irish!

Advertisement