Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saracens Salarygate: Automatic Relegation?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

awec wrote: »
    Also need to factor in the payments made to players from places other than the IRFU, for example Sexton's private money contract top up.
    Pretty much all of them (excluding new academy graduates) would have some personal sponsorships for cars etc. But that would also hold true for their English counterparts. I'm not sure if this kind of thing is included in the salary cap, but I'd assume it is for the sake of argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

awec wrote: »
    Also need to factor in the payments made to players from places other than the IRFU, for example Sexton's private money contract top up.

Yeah but youd discount that for the marque players too, no? Of which Sexton is obviously one.

It should also be noted that direct comparisons to their cap would be a bit daft in some ways as we have less teams to spread the same number of internationals around. So while we would get credits for them, we're still factoring in the vast majority of their salaries plus needing additional guys to cover their absences. I'd almost guarantee that if they only had 4 pro teams in England the cap would be higher than it is to account for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,520 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Pretty much all of them (excluding new academy graduates) would have some personal sponsorships for cars etc. But that would also hold true for their English counterparts. I'm not sure if this kind of thing is included in the salary cap, but I'd assume it is for the sake of argument.

Personal sponsorships absolutely wouldn't be included, unless you're up to some Faz holdings with Nigel Wray shenanigans

Nope. There are separate costs called out for "National tours, camps and squads" (1.4 million) and "National match costs" (3.6 million).

Player and management costs are 40.5 million. A few million here and there doesn't change the overall picture that the Irish lads aren't massively underpaid.
    Fair enough. But there are a lot of people employed by the IRFU who could come under that heading. Here's the national team staff from last year:

National Team Coach: Joe Schmidt
    National Team Manager: Paul Dean
    Assistant Coach, Forwards: Simon Easterby
    Technical Resource Coach: Greg Feek
    Assistant Coach, Defense: Andy Farrell
    National Team Skills Coach/National Academy Coach: Richie Murphy
    National Team Strength & Conditioning Coach: Jason Cowman
    National Team Technical Analyst: Mervyn Murphy
    Performance Analyst: Vincent Hammond
    Kit & Logistics Coordinator: John Moran

Then there's the referees - are they part of professional game costs? I would think so tbh:

Head of Referees: Dudley Philips
    National Referee Manager: David Wilkinson
    Referee Development /Education Manager: Peter Fitzgibbon
    High Performance Referee: Sean Gallagher
    Referee Development Manager: Chris Harrington
    Referee Development Manager: Richard Kerr
    Elite Referees: Andy Brace, David Wilkinson, Frank Murphy, John Lacey, Joy Neville, Sean Gallagher
    Referee Coordinator: Julie Moran
    Referee Coordinator: Neysa Herity

And then the likes of Nucifora and Peter Smyth who come under the general heading of 'Rugby'. Some of these (like the U20s coaching staff) come under a different heading, but a good few will not:

Performance Director: David Nucifora
    P.A. to Performance Director: Cathy McGonigle
    Business Intelligence Analyst: Claire Wallace
    Business Intelligence Analyst: Gillian McDarby
    Head of Elite Player Development: Peter Smyth
    National Talent Development Manager: Hendrik Kruger
    Head of Elite Performance & Science: Nick Winkelman
    Data Scientist: Andrew Whale
    National Talent Athletic Development Coach: Martin Kennedy
    Ireland U19s Head Coach / Ireland U20 Assistant Coach: Tom Tierney
    Performance Analyst (HPU): John Buckley
    Head of International Talent ID & Development: Joe Lydon
    IQ Rugby Talent ID Coach: Kevin Maggs
    IQ Regional Talent ID Coach: Steven McGinnis
    National Talent Coordinator: Wayne Mitchell

Even if you cut half of them out, that's a lot of people. And it doesn't include the nine people listed under 'medical and nutrition' and obviously the non-core staff in HR, Finance, Ticketing, Marketing, IT and Operations.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I presume that figure would include all the provincial coaches as well.

• Advertisement

It's hard to know. The provinces have their own income as well. Gate receipts, TV money, merchandise and sponsorship for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Also any grassroots costs for refereeing etc. Absolutely loads of stuff.

Bazzo wrote: »
    They wouldn't be considered 'professional game costs' though. And probably handled at provincial level (for referees for club games etc.). You can see above what referee systems and staff the IRFU pay for and all seem to be focused around the professional game.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    Not so much as go to England for a big pay day, for me it is players at the end of their cycle (just past their best) who can go to England for a pay day. Not a huge pay day, but better than they would get here. Players like Tomas O'Leary to London Irish, Donnacha O'C to Worcester, Stringer to Sarries/Bath/worcester

Absolutely - In almost all those cases the player moved when they dropped out of the Central contract system and moved back to a provincial one.

The move to the UK kept them at the National contract salary level rather then increasing their salary more than likely..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Absolutely - In almost all those cases the player moved when they dropped out of the Central contract system and moved back to a provincial one.

The move to the UK kept them at the National contract salary level rather then increasing their salary more than likely..

Good point. I actually missed Sean O'Brien, started in London in December, which I assume was when his central contract ran out? He would have been contracted up to the end of the World Cup cycle. He has done very well financially to agree a new contract, then go for his operation on the old hip.

I would say that moving from a Central Contract to a provincial one would be a big drop in wages. Rob Kearney might have done that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭randomrb

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    Good point. I actually missed Sean O'Brien, started in London in December, which I assume was when his central contract ran out? He would have been contracted up to the end of the World Cup cycle. He has done very well financially to agree a new contract, then go for his operation on the old hip.

I would say that moving from a Central Contract to a provincial one would be a big drop in wages. Rob Kearney might have done that.

I have heard a few ex-players mention in interviews that the IRFU are very hard negotiators with older players, the likes of Kearney would be on relatively small money. thats why the likes of SOB, Connacha ryan, O'connell all looked abroad as the IRFU give small short contracts to older players

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

randomrb wrote: »
    I have heard a few ex-players mention in interviews that the IRFU are very hard negotiators with older players, the likes of Kearney would be on relatively small money. thats why the likes of SOB, Connacha ryan, O'connell all looked abroad as the IRFU give small short contracts to older players

I remember D'Arcy talking about this in one of his articles, think he said his pay dropped quite a lot once he got into his 30s. Sexton is probably the one exception to that at the moment but I'd say he's well past his peak earnings as well.

Newstalk interviewed Kearney after he signed his last deal. He wanted two years and they said no, he admitted he took a huge drop in pay to stay in Leinster but that is where he wants to stay so he was happy to do that. It keeps him where he wants to be and near his future family and his business interests. As he dropped out of central contract he will also have been aware that he shouldn't be expecting Irish caps either as they will likely have told him as much when a CC wasn't offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,541 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

The fact that Kearney is on a central contract disputes your beliefs somewhat. What an utter waste of a central contract

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭typhoony

not sure if it's already been mentioned but the English RFU is set to invoke the exceptional Circumstance rule for next year to allow the England players currently at Saracens to play wherever they like, be great to see Itoje or Farrell over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,633 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

typhoony wrote: »
    not sure if it's already been mentioned but the English RFU is set to invoke the exceptional Circumstance rule for next year to allow the England players currently at Saracens to play wherever they like, be great to see Itoje or Farrell over here.

If they replaced existing NIQs at the end of the season I'd probably be fine with it. Wouldn't be mad on having big name players coming over for a year and displacing young Irish players in favour of short terms success for the provinces and in turn helping the English team out by having them playing at a higher level domestically than they would be in the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,058 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

The fact that Kearney is on a central contract disputes your beliefs somewhat. What an utter waste of a central contract

Ireland's undisputed first choice fullback for a decade was a waste of a central contract.

Nice one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

The only purpose that central contracts serve is to make people angry that their favoured player doesn't have one and the guy they hate does.

Long may they continue.

Steve Lansdown (the Bristol Bears owner) hasn't held back either:

At the end of the day they cheated and they have been found guilty and they have to accept their punishment.

“They have brought the game into disrepute. There are 13 clubs [the 12 Premiership clubs and Newcastle Falcons] who have all signed up to the salary cap, including Saracens, and they have decided to put two fingers up to it and do their own thing and they feel almost aggrieved that we are upset about it.”

“Anything they have achieved over the last couple of years is going to be tainted.”

Premiership Rugby have held firm to their approach of avoiding full disclosure.

But Lansdown, party to the meetings held with other Premiership clubs, believes relegation had been a long-time coming given the suspicions many within the game had.

Joining Tony Rowe in condemning Saracens flouting of the salary cap, Lansdown added: “It has taken a while to get that [Saracens’ relegation]. I think it should have happened quicker and sharper but that is another matter.

“I find it very strange in a way that they can continue their league programme this year as they will with the same players. I find that unhelpful.

“They are making a lot of noises at Saracens, they have apologised which is the first thing and now we need to see what they are going to do to put things right.

“They committed a sin and they have to repent for it.

“Now they are going to be in the Championship next year, now there are a lot of aspects to sort behind the scenes.

“They have got some very difficult decisions to make, the players have got some very difficult decisions to make, the management have got some very difficult decisions to make.

“They probably haven’t woken up to the reality of what is in store for them.”

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

The more I think about it the more it's ridiculous that they're continuing to play on and have an active effect on everybody else's season.

I'm taking it that there's no way for them to be expelled?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Anyone listen to Venter on the Rugby Union Weekly podcast (5 live). Jesus, everyone is just out to get Sarries. Poor Nigel Wray is just naive and didnt deliberately cheat.

He was on the Rugby Pod too, but havnt got back to listen to it, I assume more of the same.

Clegg wrote: »
    Ireland's undisputed first choice fullback for a decade was a waste of a central contract.

Nice one.

Contracts are given on the basis of future performance, not pastt, and yes a player on a central contract that isn’t good enough to make the squad is a mistake and a waste of a central contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

Anyone listen to Venter on the Rugby Union Weekly podcast (5 live). Jesus, everyone is just out to get Sarries. Poor Nigel Wray is just naive and didnt deliberately cheat.

He was on the Rugby Pod too, but havnt got back to listen to it, I assume more of the same.

every interview with anyone related to Saracens lately has been absolute crash stuff. suspect there's plenty more to come out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Contracts are given on the basis of future performance, not pastt, and yes a player on a central contract that isn’t good enough to make the squad is a mistake and a waste of a central contract.

First squad he didn't make, is the last competition of his last year.

He's been on short contracts since the end of 2017. Signed an 18 month one, then he was given a one year extension last summer. When he was still the starting 15. It runs out in a couple of months. And was reportedly extremely low compared to his previous ones. How is that a waste of a central contract?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,027 ✭✭✭fitz

Yeah, he was spouting the same kinda rubbish on the Rugby Pod. Completely delusional.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Fair enough. But there are a lot of people employed by the IRFU who could come under that heading.

Then there's the referees - are they part of professional game costs? I would think so tbh:
    a lot of those you list would come under that heading. I'm fairly sure refs dont as they would be under different area.
    And then the likes of Nucifora and Peter Smyth who come under the general heading of 'Rugby'. Some of these (like the U20s coaching staff) come under a different heading,
    Performance Director: David Nucifora
    P.A. to Performance Director: Cathy McGonigle
    Business Intelligence Analyst: Claire Wallace
    Business Intelligence Analyst: Gillian McDarby
    Head of Elite Player Development: Peter Smyth
    National Talent Development Manager: Hendrik Kruger
    Head of Elite Performance & Science: Nick Winkelman
    Data Scientist: Andrew Whale
    National Talent Athletic Development Coach: Martin Kennedy
    Ireland U19s Head Coach / Ireland U20 Assistant Coach: Tom Tierney
    Performance Analyst (HPU): John Buckley
    Head of International Talent ID & Development: Joe Lydon
    IQ Rugby Talent ID Coach: Kevin Maggs
    IQ Regional Talent ID Coach: Steven McGinnis
    National Talent Coordinator: Wayne Mitchell
    Even if you cut half of them out, that's a lot of people. And it doesn't include the nine people listed under 'medical and nutrition' and obviously the non-core staff in HR, Finance, Ticketing, Marketing, IT and Operations.
    you can cut most of them though as it's all not to do with pro rugby though
    Bazzo wrote: »
    not relevant though to this though

He's been on short contracts since the end of 2017. Signed an 18 month one, then he was given a one year extension last summer. When he was still the starting 15. It runs out in a couple of months. And was reportedly extremely low compared to his previous ones. How is that a waste of a central contract?

Because he’s not good enough.

First squad he didn't make, is the last I competition of his last year.

Central contracts are few and far between, no player should be getting one unless they are a cert, injury aside of making the Match day squad. Kearney isn’t even able to make the extended Training squad.

It’s a waste of a contract and contradicts the OP’s view that the IRFU are top notch negotiators.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,312 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

What are the chances of the RFU signing star players to a central contact so the Premiership clubs can sign them with a small top up?

I think the FFR did that for a handful of players including Vakatawa.

Advertisement