Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solving the “middle lane hoggers” problem.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,102 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

beauf wrote: »
    Basically you want people to leave lane 2 clear so you can drive in it.

Nope. I drive in l1. The driving lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,234 ✭✭✭✭endacl

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Free state

I am not trying to antagonise

Ah, you kinda are though, aren’t you.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,234 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Free state there is an ironic term.

Consider me ironed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

tom1ie wrote: »
    Nope. I drive in l1. The driving lane.

L2 is hardly a problem then is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

It will never be solved.

I've seen drivers sit in the middle lane of both the m50 and the N7 at 4 in the morning...and I mean lots of cars.
    People are stupid and oblivious that they are wrong.

I pulled my wife about it recently and we ended up having an argument about it. She states that she's doing nothing wrong and that she's always driven in the middle lane.
    I called her an idiot and told her she shouldn't be allowed near a motorway until she learns and understands lane discipline.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

My missus had her full licence a year before she ventured onto a motorway. So one day I made her drive from Tallaght to Courtown. I told her to stay in lane 1 unless she needed to overtake. Guess what. Lane 1 all the way to Wexford.

Now if a new driver can manage that, so can anyone making excuses otherwise.

endacl wrote: »
    Explain it to you? Wouldn’t it be simpler if you were to just put your driving license back in the cornflakes box you found it in?

:D

I think you're the third person to make a hilarious comment rather than explaining the apparently simple logic as to why undertaking is illegal. Do you even know yourself? The fact that it's legal in other countries means it's clearly contentious.

Because we've decided we want everyone to expect that.

Its not the same in every country.

Same as turning on red, or cyclists going through on red.

Fair enough. It is because it is.

If that's it, we should decide as a country to change this if we want to solve the MLH problem. I can't see why undertaking shouldn't be legal.

If that's it, we should decide as a country to change this if we want to solve the MLH problem. I can't see why undertaking shouldn't be legal.

Wouldn't it be great if we could all pick and choose which laws we want to abide by.

pablo128 wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be great if we could all pick and choose which laws we want to abide by.

Where oh where did I say anything like that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Isn't that why this thread exists because people are doing exactly that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

My missus had her full licence a year before she ventured onto a motorway. So one day I made her drive from Tallaght to Courtown. I told her to stay in lane 1 unless she needed to overtake. Guess what. Lane 1 all the way to Wexford.

Now if a new driver can manage that, so can anyone making excuses otherwise.

Drive all the way to from Tallaght to Wexford in Lane 1?
    95% of drivers wouldn't do this. Nonsense contribution.

Just back from Phoenix. Driving on the 6 lane orbital loop every day without issue. Why have 6 lanes if everyone should stay in lane 1?

People on this thread wouldn’t stand a chance driving there because they can’t or are afraid to use common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Undertaking increases the chances of collisions, which at 100kmph have the potential for serious damage.

The current ROTR are fine.
    Stay in L1 unless you're overtaking a car in L1.
    Only use L3 if you're overtaking a car in L3.
    Chances of accident due to cars weaving from left and right minimised.

How hard is it to (a) just drive at the speed limit, and (b) just pull back into L1 when you're done overtaking?

Lots of blathering, but the rules are perfectly straightforward - it says an awful, awful lot about the ability of most Irish drivers that they can't adhere to speed limits and manage a slight tilt of the head to look in the mirror and flick of the wrist to steer back into correct lane.

L2 is hardly a problem then is it.

It is as I like to drive at 100kph. However I'm not allowed undertake, so I have to then execute five manoeuvres that shouldn't have to be executed.
    Do you understand now or is this still too complicated for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭bmc58

So as the title of this thread suggests I’m putting forward an idea to maybe help with the problem of people driving in the middle lane of a 3 lane motorway when there is no traffic in the left hand driving lane of that motorway.
    Paint road markings on the middle lane and the outside lane that say “please merge into lane 1 for driving lane. Overtaking lane only.”
    I’m sure this could be shortened. It should be accompanied by a merge arrow.
    Would this work?
    We have a big problem with people not even knowing they are driving incorrectly on 3 lane motorway, so why don’t we tell them when they are on the actual motorway by using the paint coupled with overhead gantrys.
    Please discuss and tell me why it’s a terrible idea and destined not to work :D

If they are not bothering you or anyone else let them off.No point in getting upset over idiots who dont know the rules of motorway driving.You do the right thing and don't mind fools.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭FrToddUnctious

Paddigol wrote: »
    Undertaking increases the chances of collisions

Explain how?

Explain how?

Idiots veering across 2 lanes at the last minute for an exit.

That's one example.

Idiots veering across 2 lanes at the last minute for an exit.

That's one example.

How is that related to undertaking?

How is that related to undertaking?

Ah here if I have to explain it to you....

Ah here if I have to explain it to you....

Go on shur, people going from lane 3 to 1 at the last minute to get their exit, how does that have any relation to undertaking?

• Advertisement

Go on shur, people going from lane 3 to 1 at the last minute to get their exit, how does that have any relation to undertaking?

You asked a poster to explain how undertaking increases the risk of a collision. I gave an example.

You asked a poster to explain how undertaking increases the risk of a collision. I gave an example.

No you didn't, you said something completely unrelated to undertaking, and clearly can't explain whatever it was you meant

No you didn't, you said something completely unrelated to undertaking, and clearly can't explain whatever it was you meant

You are posting nonsense now. Good luck.

You are posting nonsense now. Good luck.

Right grand, so just to confirm, you don't have any examples of how undertaking increases the risk of collision then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Wombatman wrote: »

Just back from Phoenix. Driving on the 6 lane orbital loop every day without issue. Why have 6 lanes if everyone should stay in lane 1?

People on this thread wouldn’t stand a chance driving there because they can’t or are afraid to use common sense.

Of all the countries to pick you choose the one that is a developed country but has at least 3 times the road fatalities per capita as Ireland.
    Why set the standard of driving that far lower than Ireland?
    We should try to reduce accidents not bring in a free for all lane system.
    Legally we have a system close to some of the best countries it's just people do not follow the rules.

Right grand, so just to confirm, you don't have any examples of how undertaking increases the risk of collision then?

I suppose an example of how it would be dangerous would be the assclowns in L2 wouldn't check their left mirror if they decided they need to get into L1 as they hadn't passed anyone as they were playing it safe.
    This might then lead to a crash due to them being absolute assclowns.
    That's one reason.

I suppose an example of how it would be dangerous would be the assclowns in L2 wouldn't check their left mirror if they decided they need to get into L1 as they hadn't passed anyone as they were playing it safe.
    This might then lead to a crash due to them being absolute assclowns.
    That's one reason.

Thanks for answering

I hear this argument all the time but it's never made sense to me

If the guy in L2 is really just going to swing straight into L1 without checking their mirrors, why would passing them on the right be any safer? What makes us think he will check when going right but not when going left?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

But the mlh is causing an obstruction. Is this not illegal aswell?

Yes but it still doesn't make undertaking legal.

Yes but it still doesn't make undertaking legal.

Agreed. So both are in the wrong. However mlh cause undertaking so if there weren't mlh's there wouldn't be undertaking.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Thanks for answering

I hear this argument all the time but it's never made sense to me

If the guy in L2 is really just going to swing straight into L1 without checking their mirrors, why would passing them on the right be any safer? What makes us think he will check when going right but not when going left?

Laws frequently make no sense. Your obligations remain however.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement