Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solving the “middle lane hoggers” problem.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Okay. Explain the logic to me then. Why is it illegal to undertake.

Becuase it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,158 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

ED E wrote: »
    Nope. No RPU member is dedicated to traffic, their local super can get them to do anything and the roads policing office can't stop them.

?? I said if:confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

tom1ie wrote: »
    So you don’t see the problem in, car a driving at 100kph in l1, car b driving at 80kph in l2.
    Car a cannot undertake car b, therefore car a now has to merge into l2, merge into l3, overtake car b, merge back into l2, then merge back into l1 the driving lane.
    All the while car b gets off Scot free driving at 80kph causing car a to perform 5 extra movements.
    You don’t see the problem with this?
    If that’s the case no wonder Irish drivers have such a bad rep.

I've never had a problem doing that.

It'll happen here eventually too no doubt.

The m50 is in the process of getting variable speed gantrys installed. Well the commas cable at the moment anyway.

But the mlh is causing an obstruction. Is this not illegal aswell?

The problem with "MLH" is they become filter lanes. The reason your MLH is there now, is becuase they anticipate needing to be there later.

• Advertisement

Everyone thinks their countries are the worst at driving, almost without exception. In reality, we're not that bad here and a lot of our issues are caused by poor infrastructure, including lack of signage.

The only time that I've seen MLH on a somewhat regular basis is when L1 is fairly busy anyway. I drive the M1 regularly and this is not the case. It is very rare that L1 is empty and L2 busy.

Literally the only time I overstay my welcome in lane 2 is when dipping in and out is counter-productive. Let's say you (120km/h) overtake Car A travelling 100km/h in the left lane. There's another one (Car B) in L1 200m ahead of you doing the same speed.

If you move into L1, as you're supposed to, there's now not enough space for anyone following in L2 to safely move into L1 so they keep overtaking the three of you (you sandwiched between Cars A and B). It's a PITA to move left for 4 seconds then spend another 30 seconds waiting for a gap to appear to overtake Car B. Even more so now that you're travelling slower than the lane into which you are trying to merge. It is much more straightforward (and safer, imo) to just stay in L2 until there's sufficient room.

I agree with this, but my op was about drivers that stay in l2 for the entirety of their journeys when l1 is clear.

I've never had a problem doing that.

Great, me neither, but those 5 extra movements introduce risk and effect other cars around you. This in turn has a knock on effect, which leads to traffic congestion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I agree with this, but my op was about drivers that stay in l2 for the entirety of their journeys when l1 is clear.

I think its very unlikely in that situation you NEVER get a chance to move to 3 lane and overtake.

Great, me neither, but those 5 extra movements introduce risk and effect other cars around you. This in turn has a knock on effect, which leads to traffic congestion.

Which is why they tell you to stay in lane as much as possible in times of high congestion. Including the 2 lane.

beauf wrote: »
    I think its very unlikely in that situation you NEVER get a chance to move to 3 lane and overtake.

I didn’t say you never get a chance, I’m saying why should I have to make 5 manoeuvres at high speed because some ignorant (and I mean ignorant in that they don’t know they are in the wrong) driver, is driving at 80kph in l2.

• Advertisement

tuxy wrote: »
    Just think of the impact that has to traffic flow. You should be able to overtake slower cars while in the middle lane and then people who want to go even faster can overtake you in the right lane. The middle lane hoggers causes more traffic to be in the right lane than any other.
    The M50 is a mess that there may be no hope for. But the other roads with 3 lanes only have 2 usable lanes currently.

I'm on the M50 the whole time, I don't see the issue. I could see it being a frustration if you are very impatient.

Which is why they tell you to stay in lane as much as possible in times of high congestion. Including the 2 lane.

And what about times without high congestion?

I'm on the M50 the whole time, I don't see the issue. I could see it being a frustration if you are very impatient.

I’d say you don’t see the problem as you ARE the problem.

I didn’t say you never get a chance, I’m saying why should I have to make 5 manoeuvres at high speed because some ignorant (and I mean ignorant in that they don’t know they are in the wrong) driver, is driving at 80kph in l2.

Overtaking and passing a high speed is normal on a motorway.

Motorways with their high speed are safer than most other roads.

Whats the problem?

I don't change lanes unless it's safe and clear to do so. I've often slowed down and let people who had no intention of passing the MLH overtake me, bunch up behind them, then I over took all of them on the outside.

I’d say you don’t see the problem as you ARE the problem.

I'm not the one claiming to have a problem with overtaking at high speed.

Overtaking and passing a high speed is normal on a motorway.

Motorways with their high speed are safer than most other roads.

Whats the problem?

Beauf, if you were to risk assess something, would you say it’s safer to drive in a straight line at a constant speed, or have to change lanes varying your speed to overtake an obstruction?
    Which one is riskier?

Okay. Explain the logic to me then. Why is it illegal to undertake.

Because we've decided we want everyone to expect that.

Its not the same in every country.

Same as turning on red, or cyclists going through on red.

I'm not the one claiming to have a problem with overtaking at high speed.

I don’t. I’m saying it introduces more risk and has a knock on effect on traffic.
    Not sure how you can argue that.

Beauf, if you were to risk assess something, would you say it’s safer to drive in a straight line at a constant speed, or have to change lanes varying your speed to overtake an obstruction?
    Which one is riskier?

How do you propose getting on and off a motorway without changing lanes.

Its not an obstruction. Its simply other traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,243 ✭✭✭✭endacl

But the mlh is causing an obstruction. Is this not illegal aswell?

Yep. But it’s not enforced. I’ve just come off the M50. Doing 100 in L1 from Red Cow to Tallaght in relatively light traffic. Another few cars in L2, also on the speed limit. Easily could have merged into L1, but didn’t because... well... muppets. And another line of cars in L3. Also doing the limit. All that traffic would have fit in L1 along that stretch. The funny part was the last car in line on L3 was a Garda roads policing BMW.

Go figure. We had a line of traffic. A line of muppets, and a line of muppets +VAT. And a Garda vehicle tasked with policing the muppets who instead elected to join them. That’s why Irish motorways don’t work.

How do you propose getting on and off a motorway without changing lanes.

Its not an obstruction. Its simply other traffic.

Just answer the question, which ones riskier?

Which one is riskier?

So this is your problem. You see other drivers before you as an obstruction.

So this is your problem. You see other drivers before you as an obstruction.

If they are doing something illegal absolutely I do yes.

I don’t. I’m saying it introduces more risk and has a knock on effect on traffic.
    Not sure how you can argue that.

If you are driving in congested traffic like the M50 its already congested. Lane changes are going to make negligible difference.

If you are driving down the country there is no traffic most of the time anyway.

If they are doing something illegal absolutely I do yes.

Shouldn't effect you, you anticipate and move lanes early and in good time. Should have negligible effect on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,147 ✭✭✭plodder

And in this very rare scenario, if they all pull back into lane 1, after the manoeuvre there will be no issue.
    There's nothing rare about it. It happens all the time and is exactly what I was talking about in the previous post, where some seem to think they have a god given right to a clear lane ahead of them, to drive "at the speed limit" :rolleyes:

Shouldn't effect you, you anticipate and move lanes early and in good time. Should have negligible effect on you.

I don’t think we are going to find any common ground here beauf, just stop driving in l2 at 80kph will ya!:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I drive a fair bit around the country.

For starters,

The general standard of driving in the north is massively superior to the republic. Free state drivers are abysmal.

Free state driving is also policed abysmally. The roads are treated as cash points. The Gards set up checkpoints for speeding, they grab a few quid. Furthermore they ramp up the alcohol testing around bank holidays , that is all. They use the greater Dublin area as a cash making machine.

This is all well and good, but it does nothing for driver safety and for driver discipline on the roads. The standard of driving is very poor. People hogging the overtaking lane, as if it is their human right or something, very dangerous driving. Everyone indicates while they are making manoeuvres and drivers are clueless when entering the motorway.

I am not surprised when I see the stats on collisions.

As I alluded to earlier the Gards are not interested in policing drivers, they are just interested in fining them. As a result drivers just drive to combat being caught, rather than having any ounce of respect for their fellow road users.

I am not trying to antagonise any road users with the north south comparison, but I would urge people to drive in the north to see the difference.

Finally it needs to be also noted that the PSNI are a lot more polite with road users when they are asking questions and or dealing with the general public. The Gards speak to you like schoolchildren, corrupt **** half of them. Most of the bad and illegal driving done in the south is carried out by off duty cops. Just saying.

• Advertisement

I don’t think we are going to find any common ground here beauf, just stop driving in l2 at 80kph will ya!:D

Basically you want people to leave lane 2 clear so you can drive in it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement