Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Solving the “middle lane hoggers” problem.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,586 ✭✭✭chooseusername

pablo128 wrote: »
    If you're in lane 1 and lane 2 is moving faster, well then you have no need to do a 2 lane overtake.

Plus that's how it's supposed to be anyway. And you just admitted a middle Lane hogger is as dangerous as an angry motorist, so you are aware they are a problem.
    Absolutely , but 2 wrongs do not make a right,
    you have control over one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I love how people can't spend 30 odd euro on an hour's motorway lessons after passing the test. There's really only 2 things to cover.
    • Match your speed when merging.
    • Don't be a middle lane hogger.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Banzai600

there are ppl out there who havent a ***ing clue how to drive and there are ppl who are just pure c***s and wont move over at 80/100 kmh.

ive ridden motorbikes and drove all over europe, and the ***t that goes on here wouldnt last a moment in europe, you'd be hauled up for being an idiot or stupid or both. they need a dedicated cop bike or an ummarked car and dish out the fines on the motorways, they'll soon the message.

on one evening i counted 11 cars in the space of 10 mins on the motorway all on phones while driving, that i noticed. So i dont buy the speeding yarn that we get spun either. Stupidy & aggression causes accidents, but then there are some which are just a plain accidents, literally.

the new thing seems to be the coaches now hogging the outside, not sure if they are even permitted in the outside lane for extended periods. and the ones i noticed are worse are the green coaches " dublin coach " their drivers are reckless, dangerous and ive seen them tail gating in the rain at 80kmh on dark winters evenings before it started to get bright, and cutting up other road users.

no enforcement, nout will happen.

500906.JPG

6 years and I'm still giving out about this.

spurious wrote: »
    I love how people can't spend 30 odd euro on an hour's motorway lessons after passing the test. There's really only 2 things to cover.

Who's going to get lessons after they pass? Make it part of the test in the first place

• Advertisement

Who's going to get lessons after they pass? Make it part of the test in the first place

I thought that it was a question in the theory test?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Learners are not allowed on motorways, anywhere.
    However there are plenty of dual carriageways where the necessary lessons can be taught and tested.
    And, this country is unique in Europe in having dual carriageways where cars can legally travel at motorway speeds. So no excuse at all.

niloc1951 wrote: »
    Learners are not allowed on motorways, anywhere.
    However there are plenty of dual carriageways where the necessary lessons can be taught and tested.
    And, this country is unique in Europe in having dual carriageways where cars can legally travel at motorway speeds. So no excuse at all.

UK dual carriageways 70 mph same as motorways.(still in Europe!)
    https://www.gov.uk/speed-limits

I used to carpool with a lad,
    He'd sit in the middle lane the whole way to work.
    He'd give out about being passed on the left!
    What could I say though.free lift .

I thought that it was a question in the theory test?

The full test. I don't think the theory stays with people as much as a practical exam. You can cram for one day and forget about it. Not sure how you'd do it if learners aren't allowed on the motorway at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭niloc1951

UK dual carriageways 70 mph same as motorways.(still in Europe!)
    https://www.gov.uk/speed-limits

Ah but they were never really IN Europe but I take your point. However, vehicles over 3.5t do have a reduced speed limit of 60.
    Having travelled extensively on Mainland Europe I've never come across a change from Motorway to Dualcarriageway where the speed limit wasn't reduced. Some to a special DC limit and others to the N road limit

• Registered Users Posts: 28,346 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

spurious wrote: »

The idea of a once-in-a-lifetime test is crazy. There should be regular retesting, maybe once every five years or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

The idea of a once-in-a-lifetime test is crazy. There should be regular retesting, maybe once every five years or so.

Unpopular idea, people would just say it's all a money making racket just as they do with the NCT. :(
    Also lets face it the driving test is a bit of a test in your acting ability, most people don't drive like that as soon as they pass.

tuxy wrote: »
    Unpopular idea, people would just say it's all a money making racket just as they do with the NCT. :(
    Also lets face it the driving test is a bit of a test in your acting ability, most people don't drive like that as soon as they pass.
    Unpopular is an understatement, but that doesn't mean it is a bad idea. I'm old enough to remember the wrecks that were on the road before the NCT, how often you'd be helping people to push start, or push their breakdown off the road. It's very difficult to prove, but I suspect the NCT has played a significant part in the reduction in road deaths over the years.

People are fairly used to the idea of retesting in all aspects of their professional life, so why not driving?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Unpopular is an understatement, but that doesn't mean it is a bad idea. I'm old enough to remember the wrecks that were on the road before the NCT, how often you'd be helping people to push start, or push their breakdown off the road. It's very difficult to prove, but I suspect the NCT has played a significant part in the reduction in road deaths over the years.

People are fairly used to the idea of retesting in all aspects of their professional life, so why not driving?

i dont think we need retesting as such but refesher courses would be great. you get pulled over for something and you get points, fine and a day at the course.
    retests should be for driver discualified or after so many courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,732 ✭✭✭SeanW

Yet it is the standard in most if not all of the world. Even in Canada which has the most extreme "graduated driver licensing" laws, AFAIK once you've done all the graduated tests, that's it. After a person has their license, compliance with road law is enforced by fines and potential disqualification, and much of the Western world now has a points-on-license system like the Irish penalty points regime.
    Unpopular is an understatement,
    More like a solution in search of a problem. I think some people just get their kicks on the idea drowning motorists in ever more stupid, disproportionate and pointless regulations. At least, that seems to be what is going on here.

And how would the State actually run such a test? They cannot even guarantee a test within 6 months for the once-in-a-lifetime test because the testing system is so dysfunctional, how in blazes would it handle people doing driving tests every 5 years? :confused:
    It's very difficult to prove, but I suspect the NCT has played a significant part in the reduction in road deaths over the years.
    Far better candidates are:
    1) Less societal tolerance for driving home after a few jars. It still happens - and it still kills - but on nowhere near the scale of the 1970s.
    2) Motorways. We've replaced a lot of heavily traffic single carriageways with high quality motorways and 2+2 dual carriageways.

Some jalopy having an imbalance in their parking brake or not having the Irish language name of the county above the registration plate tends not to cause the same danger as driving "just down the road" after six pints.
    Because:
    1. Ireland already has among the safest roads in the world
    2. It isn't done anywhere else in the world.
    3. Mechanisms already exist to penalise motorists who demonstrate improper driving.
    4. The State has proven itself incapable of running a functioning driver testing system.
    5. The idea is disproportionate, burdensome, excessive and bat*** crazy.
    Do you need any more reasons?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Unpopular is an understatement, but that doesn't mean it is a bad idea. I'm old enough to remember the wrecks that were on the road before the NCT, how often you'd be helping people to push start, or push their breakdown off the road. It's very difficult to prove, but I suspect the NCT has played a significant part in the reduction in road deaths over the years....

Car are much more reliable than they used to be to.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

beauf wrote: »
    Car are much more reliable than they used to be to.

Only if they are maintained and serviced correctly. Many aren't.

Only if they are maintained and serviced correctly. Many aren't.

They have far longer service intervals.

But stuff just breaks less. We get far higher mileage out of modern cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,446 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Licences have to be renewed every 10 years anyhow. A rigorous rules of the road would be a start, you might still act the bollix but you couldn't claim that it was OK. Perhaps a simple video test could be devised, and if people had problems with that give them a road test.

As usual, they screwed up with the new driving licences as you had to go to the NDLS anyway.

• Advertisement

SeanW wrote: »
    Yet it is the standard in most if not all of the world. Even in Canada which has the most extreme "graduated driver licensing" laws, AFAIK once you've done all the graduated tests, that's it. After a person has their license, compliance with road law is enforced by fines and potential disqualification, and much of the Western world now has a points-on-license system like the Irish penalty points regime.
    Except that enforcement levels are negligible here. When you have 98% of motorists break urban speed limits, it is clear that something is seriously wrong with enforcement.

More like a solution in search of a problem. I think some people just get their kicks on the idea drowning motorists in ever more stupid, disproportionate and pointless regulations. At least, that seems to be what is going on here.
    The problem is the 2 or 3 people killed each week on our roads and the 9 or 10 people seriously injured. It's a fairly significant problem.

And how would the State actually run such a test? They cannot even guarantee a test within 6 months for the once-in-a-lifetime test because the testing system is so dysfunctional, how in blazes would it handle people doing driving tests every 5 years? confused.png
    That backlog number was down to a third of that level about a year ago.

https://www.thejournal.ie/driving-test-wait-times-2-4518992-Mar2019/

The longest wait time is <8 weeks, with most of them 4-5 weeks.
    https://www.rsa.ie/waitingtimes

Far better candidates are:
    1) Less societal tolerance for driving home after a few jars. It still happens - and it still kills - but on nowhere near the scale of the 1970s.
    2) Motorways. We've replaced a lot of heavily traffic single carriageways with high quality motorways and 2+2 dual carriageways.

Some jalopy having an imbalance in their parking brake or not having the Irish language name of the county above the registration plate tends not to cause the same danger as driving "just down the road" after six pints.
    Yep, they're certainly significant factors too. It's near impossible to attribute improvements like this directly to particular policy developments.

We still have widespread social tolerance for bad driving such as speeding, mobile phone use and general inattention to driving.

Because:
    1. Ireland already has among the safest roads in the world
    2. It isn't done anywhere else in the world.
    3. Mechanisms already exist to penalise motorists who demonstrate improper driving.
    4. The State has proven itself incapable of running a functioning driver testing system.
    5. The idea is disproportionate, burdensome, excessive and bat*** crazy.
    Do you need any more reasons?

1) Roads are neither safe nor dangerous. Drivers are frequently dangerous.
    2) Neither was the plastic bag tax, or the smoking ban.
    3) They don't work. When you have 98% of motorists breaking speed limits, it's fair to say that the current mechanisms don't work.
    4) The State is currently running a functioning driver testing system
    5) We have 2 or 3 people being killed on the roads each week. If there was any other similar cause of harm, the State would be all over it like a rash.

But speaking of solutions looking for problems and disproportionate burdens, you'll never guess who thought that tests and licences for cyclists would be a good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

the guards were driving in the middle lane on thursday from red cow out the n7 west ,
    then the outer lane all the way to junc 10

with cars behind them all the way , all sticking to 100 kmh on the button ,

no one had the balls to over take the guards ( or under take )

some bird came banging on around junction 6 in the left lane at 120 kmh coffee in hand , undertook the lot , and the guards gave not one f*ck .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭JohnC.

The UK, smart motorways have variable speed limits and open the hard shoulder as a driving lane when traffic is congested and moving slow.
    Loads of digital signs to keep drivers update on what they should do.
    Mixed opinion on if it's a good idea and some consider the lack of hard should dangerous.

Funily enough, just been reading this. UK could be rethinking smart motorways, particularly opening the hard shoulder. Massive increase in near-misses and an increase in deaths.

Apologies in advance this is a long post, but there is a lot of nonsense, spin and half-truths to correct.
    Except that enforcement levels are negligible here. When you have 98% of motorists break urban speed limits, it is clear that something is seriously wrong with enforcement.
    Well, we have a fair idea what causes most of our fatal accidents. Driving late at night often with drink taken, vehicular suicides that are written up as "accidents" for the sake of the family and so on.

We know that Ireland compares very favourably with the rest of the world when it comes to road fatalities by all measures. (Source). By all measures, absolute deaths, deaths per 100,000 population, deaths per 100,000 vehicles in the country, deaths per billion kilometres driven, Ireland is consistently near the bottom of the table. The data for this conclusion is clear and irrefutable.

We also know that the vast majority of fatal accidents occur in the countryside. According a report for the first half roughly of 2019, 79% of fatal accidents occurred in rural areas. (Source). We also know that many of the road fatalities (although I do not have figures) are vehicular suicides that get put down as "accidents" or "collisions" or whatever for the sake of the family.

That is, no matter how severe the regulations on motorists, there will always be someone who thinks that driving at 100MPH into a tree will solve all their problems. As such, there will always be "fatal accidents" and I think you know that damn well.
    The problem is the 2 or 3 people killed each week on our roads and the 9 or 10 people seriously injured. It's a fairly significant problem.
    Except that both European and Global data clearly demonstrates that it is not.

That backlog number was down to a third of that level about a year ago.

https://www.thejournal.ie/driving-test-wait-times-2-4518992-Mar2019/

The longest wait time is <8 weeks, with most of them 4-5 weeks.
    https://www.rsa.ie/waitingtimes
    Again, false. Your data clearly shows that the maximum waiting time was 12 weeks in Kilrush and that double-digit figures were not uncommon.

But let's split the difference and say that you're half right - after half a century, the government has finally managed to bring waiting times down, at this moment in time, to usually under 3 months. So it's kind of half functioning, at this moment in time.

Meanwhile, in countries where things actually work, there are no waiting lists at all - ever - and in the example below you only have to wait 2 weeks for a driving test if you've just failed one.
    https://portal.ct.gov/DMV/Licenses/Licenses/Testing---Road-Test

So your claim that Ireland is capable of running a driving testing system is at best a half-truth.
    We still have widespread social tolerance for bad driving such as speeding, mobile phone use and general inattention to driving.
    How will a continuous testing system stop people from:
    1. "Speeding" or using their mobile phones when not doing driver re-tests?
    2. Driving late at night after a few jars?
    3. Using their vehicles to commit suicide?
    It will do nothing about any of these - and it is quite clear that it would not be the purpose.
    1) Roads are neither safe nor dangerous. Drivers are frequently dangerous.
    2) Neither was the plastic bag tax, or the smoking ban.
    3) They don't work. When you have 98% of motorists breaking speed limits, it's fair to say that the current mechanisms don't work.
    4) The State is currently running a functioning driver testing system
    5) We have 2 or 3 people being killed on the roads each week. If there was any other similar cause of harm, the State would be all over it like a rash.

1) Irish roads/drivers/whatever are among the safest in the world. The data on this is clear and irrefutable.
    2) There was an actual reason for the smoking ban.
    3) And yet, it does not translate into massive numbers of fatalities. Further, it does not translate into urban fatalities, as most road deaths occur outside of urban areas.
    4) That is - at best - a stretch.
    5) Again, this is not true. In terms of causes of death in Ireland, traffic accidents do not even feature in the Top 10.
    https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/the-10-leading-causes-of-death-in-ireland.html. In absolute terms traffic accidents cause well under 1% of Irish deaths.
    Something going to get you eventually, it's probably not going to be a traffic accident.
    But speaking of solutions looking for problems and disproportionate burdens, you'll never guess who thought that tests and licences for cyclists would be a good idea.
    And I stand over that. Irish cyclists are under-regulated and they cycle accordingly. Anyone who has spent 5 minutes in an Irish city knows that cyclists are totally unregulated and most pedestrians learn within a short space of time that "negotiating" with two-wheeled lawbreakers is an essential survival skill.

Now, if you believe that greater enforcement of the existing laws would be better than new regulations for cyclists, then that's fine. But it also undermines your case for new regulations for motorists.

What's really galling is when cyclists who run red lights and cycle on footpaths with total impunity turn around say that motorists are under-regulated and should be drowned in stupid, pointless nonsense like continuous driving tests ...

JohnC. wrote: »
    Funily enough, just been reading this. UK could be rethinking smart motorways, particularly opening the hard shoulder. Massive increase in near-misses and an increase in deaths.
    Panorama BBC1 last night, worth a look back re smart motorways.
    Having watched it back you will not find me using the live hard shoulder on a smart motorway anytime soon.

Smart motorways are not simply about using that hard shoulder. Its also about variable speed limits etc.

Using hard shoulders is a bit dubious IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Apologies in advance this is a long post, but there is a lot of nonsense, spin and half-truths to correct.

Well, we have a fair idea what causes most of our fatal accidents. Driving late at night often with drink taken, vehicular suicides that are written up as "accidents" for the sake of the family and so on.

We know that Ireland compares very favourably with the rest of the world when it comes to road fatalities by all measures. (Source). By all measures, absolute deaths, deaths per 100,000 population, deaths per 100,000 vehicles in the country, deaths per billion kilometres driven, Ireland is consistently near the bottom of the table. The data for this conclusion is clear and irrefutable.

We also know that the vast majority of fatal accidents occur in the countryside. According a report for the first half roughly of 2019, 79% of fatal accidents occurred in rural areas. (Source). We also know that many of the road fatalities (although I do not have figures) are vehicular suicides that get put down as "accidents" or "collisions" or whatever for the sake of the family.

That is, no matter how severe the regulations on motorists, there will always be someone who thinks that driving at 100MPH into a tree will solve all their problems. As such, there will always be "fatal accidents" and I think you know that damn well.

Except that both European and Global data clearly demonstrates that it is not.

Again, false. Your data clearly shows that the maximum waiting time was 12 weeks in Kilrush and that double-digit figures were not uncommon.

But let's split the difference and say that you're half right - after half a century, the government has finally managed to bring waiting times down, at this moment in time, to usually under 3 months. So it's kind of half functioning, at this moment in time.

Meanwhile, in countries where things actually work, there are no waiting lists at all - ever - and in the example below you only have to wait 2 weeks for a driving test if you've just failed one.
    https://portal.ct.gov/DMV/Licenses/Licenses/Testing---Road-Test

So your claim that Ireland is capable of running a driving testing system is at best a half-truth.

How will a continuous testing system stop people from:
    1. "Speeding" or using their mobile phones when not doing driver re-tests?
    2. Driving late at night after a few jars?
    3. Using their vehicles to commit suicide?
    It will do nothing about any of these - and it is quite clear that it would not be the purpose.

1) Irish roads/drivers/whatever are among the safest in the world. The data on this is clear and irrefutable.
    2) There was an actual reason for the smoking ban.
    3) And yet, it does not translate into massive numbers of fatalities. Further, it does not translate into urban fatalities, as most road deaths occur outside of urban areas.
    4) That is - at best - a stretch.
    5) Again, this is not true. In terms of causes of death in Ireland, traffic accidents do not even feature in the Top 10.
    https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/the-10-leading-causes-of-death-in-ireland.html. In absolute terms traffic accidents cause well under 1% of Irish deaths.
    Something going to get you eventually, it's probably not going to be a traffic accident.

And I stand over that. Irish cyclists are under-regulated and they cycle accordingly. Anyone who has spent 5 minutes in an Irish city knows that cyclists are totally unregulated and most pedestrians learn within a short space of time that "negotiating" with two-wheeled lawbreakers is an essential survival skill.

Now, if you believe that greater enforcement of the existing laws would be better than new regulations for cyclists, then that's fine. But it also undermines your case for new regulations for motorists.

What's really galling is when cyclists who run red lights and cycle on footpaths with total impunity turn around say that motorists are under-regulated and should be drowned in stupid, pointless nonsense like continuous driving tests ...

You're dead right.
    We need less regulation for motorists, who are known through government-funded surveys to be breaking laws in high numbers, and more regulation for cyclists, who are truly a scourge on our roads and are killing ones of people a decade.

The RSA have said that they want to achieve lower deaths resulting from poor motorist actions, and are actively targeting lower numbers. We need to tell them to lay off.

The NTA and TII are also actively funding billions of euro worth of road schemes to reduce fatalities and injuries too.

But we don't need to do any of these. And we definitely don't need to achieve better driver behaviour. And we ESPECIALLY don't need training and testing for those people who were never tested, or were never tested on a motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Banzai600

seen the Dublin coach pratt driver yesterday again, hogging outside lane going south, didnt affect me, but they need a kick in the hole. regular occurrence. And they know damn well what they are doing.

You're dead right.
    We need less regulation for motorists, who are known through government-funded surveys to be breaking laws in high numbers, and more regulation for cyclists, who are truly a scourge on our roads and are killing ones of people a decade.
    The only reason cyclists don't hurt or kill more pedestrians is that we learn by instinct to get the F@%& out of their way when they're riding on footpaths and "negotiate" with them at lights. Even at that most pedestrians will have had some close calls. I used to use the Sean O'Casey footbridge in Dublin, and I almost never used it without having to "negotiate" with two-wheeled lawbreakers. Which makes the complaints by two-wheeled lawbreakers about motorist lawbreaking seem rather galling. A textbook case of the pot calling the kettle black.

As to the idea of "less" regulation or "more" I couldn't care less. I want appropriate regulation, that is, adequate but not excessive, for all road users.
    The RSA have said that they want to achieve lower deaths resulting from poor motorist actions, and are actively targeting lower numbers. We need to tell them to lay off.
    Fine - if their measures are proportionate. Such should of course take into consideration that:
    1) Irish drivers are already heavily regulated.
    2) Irish road fatalities are among the lowest in the world by all relative measures.
    The NTA and TII are also actively funding billions of euro worth of road schemes to reduce fatalities and injuries too.
    Good, and long may it continue. But according to some here there's no such thing as a "safe" or "dangerous" road, it's only down to drivers. So if you have a long distance single carriageway with 20,000 vehicles a day and with crossings and turns everywhere, there should be no need to upgrade it because it is impossible for a road to be "dangerous".
    But we don't need to do any of these. And we definitely don't need to achieve better driver behaviour.
    ARJ raised the point with his claim of 98% of drivers breaking ubran speed limits. So let's take him at his word, say that's true, there's a problem. Such an insane figure, like 98% of motorists speeding, should be leading to something like, a very high number of road deaths. Yet it's not happening. It isn't linked to anything because there's nothing there. Less than 1/3 of road deaths occur in urban areas and the number that are, is of a total that is tiny by international standards. So the number, on a prima facie basis, is meaningless and of no real consequence. Something else must be going on. It just so happens that my experience as a road user - both as a pedestrian and a motorist - explain why ARJs 98% figure is totally meaningless.

As a pedestrian
    As a pedestrian, the only things I've ever seen motorists do that made me feel threatened or unsafe had nothing whatsoever to do with speed. Nothing. The worst example is in heavy traffic, sometimes motorists will 'jockey for position' and make a turn that they can't finish and may end up blocking the pedestrian crossing. For example, in Dublin, if you want to get from the National Museum across from Merrion Square to Pearse station, you'll have to cross Clare St. Pedestrians only get 10 seconds or so of "green man" there and there is a long enough wait between them, so a large crowd of pedestrians can gather to wait for it. If traffic is heaving on Clare St, motorists turning onto it might start their turn on a green light but not be able to complete it, so they will be on the junction when the lights change. On a number of occasions, I've had to (along with a large crowd of other pedestrians) try to cross within the time allowed despite the fact that irresponsible drivers had almost totally blocked the crossing and we'd have to filter between bumpers. Which would take longer than the green+yellow man light phases. Sometimes even buses do it, you get the green man but there's a bus 50% past the crossing. Then you're not going anywhere fast.

And yet the people who do this are travelling at the grand high speed of 0km/h. They aren't speeding, but they're creating serious danger just by being in the wrong place.

On the other hand, in the last place I lived, I had a roughly half mile maybe a little more to walk (or drive) to the nearest urban village if I wanted to visit the mini market or take away. The village also had on its outskirts one of those "Your Speed is (whatever)" signs, the ones that show the driver a number in green if they're at or below the limit, or red if above. I was walking home from the shop (on a footpath) one night when a driver on the other side passed one of these signs and it showed the drivers speed - 65kph in a 50kph zone. I didn't care, they were on the road, I was on the footpath, it made no difference to me and I wouldn't have much cared whether I knew the passing cars' speed or not. That driver surely was one of ARJs 98%, but as a pedestrian, I did not feel threatened in the slightest. And with good reason.

As a pedestrian, if I have a choice between dealing with two types of drivers to deal with:
    1. A driver who always obeys traffic controls and is careful never to block pedestrian crossings, but is a little lead-footed "on the straight."
    2. A driver who never breaks a speed limit but frequently mishandles junctions, up to including blocking pedestrian crossings to "get into position."
    I will choose the speeder. Every. Single. Time. And so would every sane person on the planet.

As a motorist
    Ireland is unique in that it applies "urban" speed limits way out into the countryside far from the villages or towns they are supposedly protecting. I think I read some planning document on boards years ago that suggested urban areas should have "gateway zones" whereby urban limits are applied 1km out of town or something? Not sure, but there seems to be a lot of that in the Irish countryside. There are few other types of areas where Irish speed limits are relatively low by international standards.

On the continent for example they rarely post numerical speed limits. On each national border, you might find a speed board that explains the speed limit laws of the country, like this, this or this. I don't have a lot of experience driving on the continent, but in countries that do this, I think they're relatively good about terminating the urban limits at a reasonable point leaving a village or town.

By contrast, Ireland is full of example of "gateway zones" like this, where an urban limit applies a good half mile before the village it's supposedly protecting. But anyone who passes that sign at more than 60kph is an "urban speeder" even though there's little other than green fields for some distance. So it's possible that many of ARJs 98% only "speed" in "urban" areas where the characterisation of such is something of a stretch.
    And we ESPECIALLY don't need training and testing for those people who were never tested, or were never tested on a motorway.
    Correct. The only people driving in Ireland with full Irish licenses who "were never tested" were those who got their drivers licenses in the post office in the 1960s and those who got their Provisional Licenses upgraded in the amnesty of '79 I think that was.

So if the average age of the recipient of a Post Office or Amnesty license was 30, then most of those people are now in their 70s or 80s. Everyone else after '79 was tested. Now, if no-one sought to retest those people in the 1980s, 1990s, 2000s or 2010s, I don't know why it should be so urgent now. As to the "need" to retest people on motorways:
    1) Motorway driving is the easiest kind of driving possible. Urban driving requires the most training/practice and that's what people are tested on.
    2) How would someone in Donegal do their "motorway test?" Do it in Belfast? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Can I just say it isn't cyclists who are hogging the middle lane on our motorways?

Thanks. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement