Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weekend On One With Brendan O'Connor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,018 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Jizique wrote: »
    Agreed; shocking tittle tattle and about what you might expect from the Sindo, and no surprise that Brendan and Collette, who both take a Chequers from that paper, defended the story.
    Was Brendan editor of the Sindo at some stage?

Ballsy is editor of the Sindos Life magazine.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    Which makes it all the more mystifying how that utter incompetent balloon Duffy can hang on to his position, apparently unassailable.

Duffy will be hosting The Late Late next. Either that or be President. :rolleyes:

Lottie Ryan will replace Miriam on Primetime too, such is the dumbing-down within RTÉ.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I could be wrong but this is what I think happened.

RTÉ ask everyone to renegotiate their salaries. Any cuts are off set by less time on air. BOC I think was missing from Radio during his time on The Cutting Edge, or made few stand ins, while D'Arcy was given his Saturday Show and a Daily Radio show.

At least that's what it seems like to me. That certain radio presenters now have a longer break from their radio shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭serfboard

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    Which makes it all the more mystifying how that utter incompetent balloon Duffy can hang on to his position, apparently unassailable.
    What's annoying is that the top presenters have the pay rates of the insecure contractors that they are, but the seeming job-security of staffers.

And actually, the whole thing is something that the Revenue should be investigating anyway - if you're being paid by one company, in their premises, using their equipment, under their direction, then you should be PAYE.

It's no wonder RTE don't produce reports on bogus self-employment - since the most glaringly obvious example of it is going on in their own organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Shelga

Who is this person going on and on about the power of prayer? I missed the beginning and they never seem to say who the guest is again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

Shelga wrote: »
    Who is this person going on and on about the power of prayer? I missed the beginning and they never seem to say who the guest is again.

Think its Marie Louise o'Donnell

These programmes all seem to be morphing into the same sloppy mix of light news magazine radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,754 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It is MLO'D.

Great to hear her back on the airwaves, I missed her.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

M L oD is a bit of a dose, with her senators pension in the bag, her academic paycheck and her rte gigs sure what worries has she? , as far removed from the ordinary citizen as can be so accustomed is she to sucking on the public teat all her working life, I'd put more weight on a petarade of mouses farts than the wafflings of that woman

• Registered Users Posts: 29,072 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

These programmes all seem to be morphing into the same sloppy mix of light news magazine radio covid conversation

FYP there.

Maybe I'm being unfair, as I switched off and haven't brought myself to switch back on again.

But I swear, every magazine show, chat show, even the "news" shows these days just seem to consist of fkn shades of covid, to the point where I think my head is going to explode :mad:

Is there NOTHING else happening in the world?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Has Ben Dunne joined the priesthood?

sligojoek wrote: »

The Dunnes are •very• closely associated with de church.

sligojoek wrote: »

Sure tis no wonder wasn't his daddy St Bernard.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Clon63

serfboard wrote: »
    I presume that Brendan is not a staffer in RTE. So you can understand why he would want to hang on to the life-raft of his other job, just in case they get rid of him.

After all, it's happened to him before. IIRC, he had a nice little Saturday night chat show gig going when it was dumped in favour of Ray D'Arcy, so non-staff roles in RTE might be precarious for certain presenters.

You know I am surprised that more wasn't made of the salary paid to Brendan when RTE published their list of top earners for 2018 and 2019. This was well after his chat show was "rested" and he was still paid €220000 - €240000 these years.

He was literally a part timer covering the odd weekend for Marian (others like Rachel English, Aine Lawlor and Damien O'Reilly) also covered and presenting short runs of a discussion show for a few months midweek. It really does make some of the other salaries/fees seem justifiable.

Had a little laugh when Katie Hannon on Saturday view was questioning a Minister if he could seriously ustify increasing the pay of the head of the Department of Health to €290000 with so many unemployed. .. If only she had the opportunity to bring up the question of excessive pay in a forum where the public could have their say........... like on Liveline when she is standing in for the regular host who collects €400000 in fees for a 75 minute caller driven show.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,275 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Clon63 wrote: »
    You know I am surprised that more wasn't made of the salary paid to Brendan when RTE published their list of top earners for 2018 and 2019. This was well after his chat show was "rested" and he was still paid €220000 - €240000 these years.

He was literally a part timer covering the odd weekend for Marian (others like Rachel English, Aine Lawlor and Damien O'Reilly) also covered and presenting short runs of a discussion show for a few months midweek. It really does make some of the other salaries/fees seem justifiable.

Had a little laugh when Katie Hannon on Saturday view was questioning a Minister if he could seriously ustify increasing the pay of the head of the Department of Health to €290000 with so many unemployed. .. If only she had the opportunity to bring up the question of excessive pay in a forum where the public could have their say........... like on Liveline when she is standing in for the regular host who collects €400000 in fees for a 75 minute caller driven show.

Thought the very same myself..... said ..jaysus... there’s this one querying poor Bobby in for a 80k rise to 290k for a very responsible post and there’s D’Arcy trousering 100k ...more...for what.....:D

Was hard pressed to stop packing the jocks, to be honest.

Sorry ‘bout that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Never stops talking....on and on and on....Pontificating non stop. Full of her own self importance.

I was trying to imagine myself in a room with her, Michael D and David Norris all talking at the same time.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Is there NOTHING else happening in the world?

RTE decide what stories will be covered - it's their decision to present it to the audience like the only story in the world is COVID, in order to push the vaccination program.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,644 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Jim Power should have been dropped by RTE following his soft landing predictions back in the day , alas now here he is calling decisions on the vaccines for over 70s 'bizzare' and pushing antigen testing.

Brendan seems to be struggling with the overall 'positive ' input from contributers so far.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Texter commenting on Ethan Hawke and Brendan's chat-

"Wasn't he very nice with your nosy questions?"

Gave me a good laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

humberklog wrote: »
    Texter commenting on Ethan Hawke and Brendan's chat-

"Wasn't he very nice with your nosy questions?"

Gave me a good laugh.

"So what are you up to now, just mooching around?" isnt exactly the type of question you expect to get fired at your typical hollywood a lister. Was enjoyable enough all told.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Cole

Yesterday's show was so bad, with almost every (relatively privileged) guest talking about the hardships of covid and being more "present" in life now blah, blah, blah, that I didn't bother to tune in today. Gavan Reilly on NT was pretty good...doesn't feel the need to always give his own smart arsed commentary on everything. No show's perfect, but his is a bit more informative and has less pretentious and wannabe 'inspirational' lifestyle sh1te.

I've almost made a full switch to NT, away from my years long favourite slots on radio...Today during weekday mornings and Marian's Sunday slot. Great work Claire and Brendan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Gavan is very good-he served his penance at thejournal, as I recall, but had the good sense to get out of there as soon as he could.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

Gavan is very good-he served his penance at thejournal, as I recall, but had the good sense to get out of there as soon as he could.

Be interesting to know what wedge he is on as compared to Ballsy ?

Have heard him a few times and he is quite competent ...which is about as much as you want from a presenter .

They all start off reasonably competent ...but then the horrible temptation to start smelling themselves kicks in.

They go from presenters ...to personalities.....to celebrities

Human nature I guess.....rum do....innit ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭Jizique

Be interesting to know what wedge he is on as compared to Ballsy ?

Have heard him a few times and he is quite competent ...which is about as much as you want from a presenter .

They all start off reasonably competent ...but then the horrible temptation to start smelling themselves kicks in.

They go from presenters ...to personalities.....to celebrities

Human nature I guess.....rum do....innit ?

Brendan did that in reverse, he seems to be less of a “celebrity” and less of a “character” now, family and kids I guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Infoanon wrote: »
    Jim Power should have been dropped by RTE following his soft landing predictions back in the day , alas now here he is calling decisions on the vaccines for over 70s 'bizzare' and pushing antigen testing.

In light of Michael McNamara's speech earlier this week, it's important to understand how RTE operates. If a RyanAir representative comes on an RTE show and gives an opinion on vaccinations that RTE may not like, he is told by Philip Boucher Hayes to stay within the parameters of the subjects that his has expertise. If Jim Power comes on RTE and gives an opinion on vaccinations that RTE may happen to agree with, then he is allowed free reign to offer opinions on subjects that he has no expertise. God knows, Jim doesn't even have any credibility on subjects that he himself would claim to have expertise in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

Just dropped by to mention I couldnt be arsed tuning in yesterday. Said to myself I'd move the dial and listen in as I prepare lunch today. What do I hear?

"It is fundamentally critical to the grief process to hold peoples hands as they pass away"

Good luck.

PieOhMy wrote: »
    Just dropped by to mention I couldnt be arsed tuning in yesterday. Said to myself I'd move the dial and listen in as I prepare lunch today. What do I hear?

"It is fundamentally critical to the grief process to hold peoples hands as they pass away"

Good luck.

I listened to the whole show and in my opinion it was average to good.

Nicely balanced, and the interview with Richard Kearney was an unexpected gem.

Yesterday wasn't bad either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

elperello wrote: »
    I listened to the whole show and in my opinion it was average to good.

Nicely balanced, and the interview with Richard Kearney was an unexpected gem.

Yesterday wasn't bad either.

Typical of my luck so to give it a break the wrong weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,644 ✭✭✭Infoanon

PieOhMy wrote: »
    Typical of my luck so to give it a break the wrong weekend!

Personally thought it was below average - BOC read out survey findings at the beginning of the show which eg showed 3% thought the government were doing a good job managing the pandemic and 84% wanted quarantine for all travellers - the impact seemed to stem and kind of discussion.

Brian Mooney phoned in about the LC,talked in absolute terms about everything from Norma Foley /ASTI to student grading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Its usually a good program, i try to skip the first hour,
    as its usually the covid news update
    i,m over 40, i have zero interest in hearing whats going on with the leaving cert exam .
    i,m glad they are keeping him on as a presenter .
    He has a sense of humour and does not have a typical middle class accent.

Advertisement