Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weekend On One With Brendan O'Connor

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

NIMAN wrote: »
    Anyone else think Boc was a bit unfair in his questioning?

He certainly got stuck in to him alright. It's hard to know without knowing the full details of the increases and the implications, but BOC seemed to be pretty sure that the An Post guy was trying to pull the wool over people's eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

KaneToad wrote: »
    There is a reason that people get paid big money to work in places like China, Middle East etc...

From my limited understanding:

The Chinese outfit, CAL, seems shady. Their head man having been convicted. O'Halloran, as a director, is now left holding the ball. There are implications when you are a company director - I doubt the guy in data entry is being pursued in a similar way. O'Halloran, if he knew nothing about the company's illegal practice, has been stitched up royally. It seems that the Chinese are of the opinion that he was in the middle of it all.

I hope this man gets a fair hearing.

Looks like the chinese wants the companys main asset an A300 flown to China so they can take possession of it, problem being that said aircraft is at present leased to finair until 2026
    About 3 years ago or so the Chinese had a major crackdown on companies relying on peer to peer lending to finance it maintaining that peer to peer lending was no more than a pyramid scheme, hence why the main shareholder in CAL ended up in prison he having accumulated millions from the peer to peer lending model, from what I understand anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

bookman2 wrote: »
    to be honest he was spot on- yer man was waffling and really all he was saying is that the prices would be increasing.

David McRedmond has always been a waffler, I am sure many people remember his time as Communications Manager with Eircom. As for this time at TV3, well enough said.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭boardise

PieOhMy wrote: »
    It always entertains me that the guy from birdwatch ireland has the surname "Hatch". Does anyone know of any other appropriate named people for their job?

https://www.boredpanda.com/funny-names-born-to-do-their-jobs/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=organic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭boardise

It always entertains me that the guy from birdwatch ireland has the surname "Hatch". Does anyone know of any other appropriate named people for their job?

Not totally a propos but a funny true story showing how coincidence can strike from nowhere/
    Years ago 3 work colleagues of mine were on company business when their car was stopped at a ckeck point.
    Asked for their names they duly stated them -the driver was a WREN and the 2 passengers were a CROWE and a PIDGEON. Cop thought they were taking the píss ...why ?...because the place they were stopped was called BIRDHILL !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

boardise wrote: »
    Not totally a propos but a funny true story showing how coincidence can strike from nowhere/
    Years ago 3 work colleagues of mine were on company business when their car was stopped at a ckeck point.
    Asked for their names they duly stated them -the driver was a WREN and the 2 passengers were a CROWE and a PIDGEON. Cop thought they were taking the píss ...why ?...because the place they were stopped was called BIRDHILL !

Amazing! Thanks so much for the link, there is more cases of this than I ever thought possible. Personal faveriot would have to be Andrew Drinkwater of the water research centre :D

Your story there actually reminded me of one of Micheal O Muircheartaigh's most famous quotes:

- "Pat Fox has it on his hurl and is motoring well now...but here comes Joe Rabbitte hot on his tail...I've seen it all now, a Rabbitte chasing a Fox around Croke Park!"

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Loyal Lady

Had to laugh listening to Brendan reading out a text from a listener who was saying Luke O’Neill should be on prescription because of his positivity. Brendan added that Luke “is available over the counter, practically everywhere”.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

boardise wrote: »

And i bet Garda Robin Woodcock nearly had a canary and told the lads to stop flapping around and give the real names or they'd be getting a date in front of the beak.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭elperello

And i bet Garda Robin Woodcock nearly had a canary and told the lads to stop flapping around and give the real names or they'd be getting a date in front of the beak.

A quare hawk that Woodcock fellow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Cole

Good man Paul Sommerville...puncturing that somewhat pointless story that led the show...from the Sindo of course.

• Advertisement

Cole wrote: »
    Good man Paul Sommerville...puncturing that somewhat pointless story that led the show...from the Sindo of course.

No idea who he is but what he was saying made sense to me. Journos on the panel, including host, not taking kindly to their story being critiqued. Dont think its an irrelevant story exactly, its just not front page news. Having a go for getting the ministers name wrong was pure pettiness too.

No idea who he is but what he was saying made sense to me. Journos on the panel, including host, not taking kindly to their story being critiqued. Dont think its an irrelevant story exactly, its just not front page news. Having a go for getting the ministers name wrong was pure pettiness too.

All pals. And yeah, Hugh O'Connell's jibe (or comeback as he probably saw it) was just ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Character Building

Vin B used to have Paul on quite a bit and I always enjoyed his input.

Vin B used to have Paul on quite a bit and I always enjoyed his input.

He was a regular in the media during the financial crisis and unsuccessfully stood for election (2011 I think).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Paul Sommerville is his name.
    He hit the nail on the head, the lead story is just gossip, not insignificant but far bigger stories to lead with but that might involve criticising the EU. Something Irish media are extremely reluctant to do.

The big story is that the EU Commission unilaterally placed a hard border on our country with no consultation with our government never mind mere plebs like us. It's quite extraordinary and it's already been glossed over as 'teething problems' by Micheal Martin.Our media seem happy to go along with that.

Paul has been invited on to the panel to discuss/explain the short-selling Game Stop story later. He won't be asked on again as they don't do contrarian points of view especially ones that critique their media circle.
    Hugh O'Connell showed his level by correcting Sommerville on his 'catastrophic' apostrophic error in Paschal Donohoe's name. The horror!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Paul Sommerville. His his name.
    He hit the nail on the head, the lead story is just gossip, not insignificant but far bigger stories to lead with but that might involve criticising the EU. Something Irish media are extremely reluctant to do.

The big story is that the EU Commission unilaterally placed a hard border on our country with no consultation with our government never mind mere plebs like us. It's quite extraordinary and it's already been glossed over as 'teething problems' by Micheal Martin. Our media seem happy to go along with that.

Paul has been invited on to the panel to discuss/explain the short-selling Game Stop story later. He won't be asked on again as they don't do contrarian points of view especially ones that critique their media circle.
    Hugh O'Connell showed his level by correcting Sommerville on his catastrophic apostrophe error in Paschal Donohoe's name

Spot on, the cant have somebody like Paul on that upsets their cosy little chat on a Sunday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Cole wrote: »
    He was a regular in the media during the financial crisis and unsuccessfully stood for election (2011 I think).

hes a bit of a crank on financial markets , a total permabear

was with him this morning giving it both barrels to that hack o connell

BOC undermined Sommerville by inferring that he just made the whole Gamestop story more confusing. Fair enough that he could have made some of the explanation a bit clearer for the audience, but it just seemed like petty sniggering...and please don't invite Collette Browne to explain it more clearly:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Paul Sommerville had a great first half and was (for the listener ) a very welcome edition to the proceedings cutting through the BS - Hugh O Connel and BOC defending Norma Foley was embarrassing.
    Pauls explanation of shorting wasn't great,leaving out key elements of shorting and not mentioning that Gameshop was on the up financially but Collettes input into the discussion was light weight and Paul did manage to put an end to the 'David Vs Goliath' headline.

BOCs comments say more about Brendan than Pauls contribution to the show.

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Let's race through the stock market discussion so that there's extra time for the fashion and entertainment segment...

The Article 16 story versus Junk Kouture fashion...mmmmmm a tough call for BOC and his production team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Enjoyed Sommerville’s contributions this morning tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Argue & Phibbs Solicitors used to be right beside the Garda station on Pearse Rd. in Sligo. As a kid I thought it was a couple of solicitors trying to get attention. Turns out it was genuine.

https://www.sligotown.net/argue-and-phibbs.shtml/

71758260_2451272171634515_62949763699441664_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&ccb=2&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=ag9J0_Qlu1wAX8CB-_Y&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=870f4b1f7ba9e7f5144f59ed30ec0c8f&oe=603C8A46

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Jizique

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    hes a bit of a crank on financial markets , a total permabear

was with him this morning giving it both barrels to that hack o connell

Agreed; shocking tittle tattle and about what you might expect from the Sindo, and no surprise that Brendan and Collette, who both take a Chequers from that paper, defended the story.
    Was Brendan editor of the Sindo at some stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,160 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Jizique wrote: »
    Agreed; shocking tittle tattle and about what you might expect from the Sindo, and no surprise that Brendan and Collette, who both take a Chequers from that paper, defended the story.
    Was Brendan editor of the Sindo at some stage?

Let’s put it this way he was well connected.

May have been stand in editor for a time after Ann Harris left. Not 100% on that but it's in my memory anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Hugh O'Connell showed his level by correcting Sommerville on his 'catastrophic' apostrophic error in Paschal Donohoe's name. The horror!

This really annoyed me. I've heard RTE presenters referring to him as O'Donohue before. And James Reilly / O'Reilly. This came across as very petty from Hugh O'Connell.

When I heard the story I thought "how the f**k was he able to get texts from the Minister Of Health's phone". This is a massive security breach, and surely the guards should be looking in to this? Does he also have access to the Minister Of Finance's phone or Minister Of Justice's phone?

The story itself was petty, tabloid tittle tattle nonsense. And Colette Browne sticking up for her journo pal was pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Anyone else find it bizarre how Brendan makes constant references to Leo Varadkar, not the Taoiseach. Instead it's a constant patter of "well as Leo said..." and occasional interpreting what Leo really means, always favorably. He's like his press secretary. Today it was very noticeable that Micheal Martin didn't get a single mention but Leo was referred to by Brendan, not his guests, on several occasions. It feels a bit more partisan than is appropriate for a presenter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,023 ✭✭✭applehunter

Clearly BOC needs to leave the SINDO gig if he going to do this show properly. How about bringing that acerbic wit to the show instead?

This is a great gig, but, ironically, he seems completely hamstrung by his connections to the Independent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

Clearly BOC needs to leave the SINDO gig if he going to do this show properly. How about bringing that acerbic wit to the show instead?

This is a great gig, but, ironically, he seems completely hamstrung by his connections to the Independent.
    I presume that Brendan is not a staffer in RTE. So you can understand why he would want to hang on to the life-raft of his other job, just in case they get rid of him.

After all, it's happened to him before. IIRC, he had a nice little Saturday night chat show gig going when it was dumped in favour of Ray D'Arcy, so non-staff roles in RTE might be precarious for certain presenters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,946 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

serfboard wrote: »

After all, it's happened to him before. IIRC, he had a nice little Saturday night chat show gig going when it was dumped in favour of Ray D'Arcy, so non-staff roles in RTE might be precarious for certain presenters.

Which makes it all the more mystifying how that utter incompetent balloon Duffy can hang on to his position, apparently unassailable.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

Advertisement