Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weekend On One With Brendan O'Connor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,170 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Yes agree there, none of this ‘flash-bang ‘ hectoring .

I release it’s a different programme but there is a refreshing change from the usual .

Ballsy doing a good job too, in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭RINO87

Came on here to say the same. Good interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭elperello

RINO87 wrote: »
    Came on here to say the same. Good interview.

It's a Cork thing....

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Yeah he handled it well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Cole

Yes...a very good interview with MM. I usually zone out or switch over when the cookery stuff comes on, but I'm even enjoying the interview with this chef...a strangely positive listening experience for once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Brendan lost this listener when he used the dumbed down "Patrick's Day" for St.Patrick's Day - might as well go the whole hog and call it St.Patty's Day. Is RTE the National broadcaster or a pirate station operating from somebody's bedroom?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,405 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Brendan lost this listener when he used the dumbed down "Patrick's Day" for St.Patrick's Day - might as well go the whole hog and call it St.Patty's Day. Is RTE the National broadcaster or a pirate station operating from somebody's bedroom?

They often go so far as to use “paddy’s day”

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭plastic glass

Patrick’s day is totally acceptable in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 4,978 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

RTÉ used to do this a bit more and always played a bit on rivalries between presenters, memorably the apparent one between Gay Byrne and Pat Kenny.

They did it as well in the 80s with Gaybo and Mike Murphy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Next stop...The Holidays for 24th dec to 1st Jan :p

• Advertisement

jay0109 wrote: »
    Next stop...The Holidays for 24th dec to 1st Jan :p

They tried that on a fair few years ago when I was working in the libraries; Christmas got renamed the 35th December Bank Holiday in an effort to be woke, but on massive objection from staff via the then inter-library communication system, it reassigned as Christmas. However the inter-library posting system was taken away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,978 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Ballsy not on two seconds and hes plugging the Sindo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Kate O'Connell seems to be the new darling of RTE, on now every couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,634 ✭✭✭Infoanon

mgn wrote: »
    Kate O'Connell seems to be the new darling of RTE, on now every couple of weeks.

Kate taking no prisoners this morning - 'government behind covid all the time ' , 'can't do ' is no longer cutting it etc

And finishing it needs the government to listen to science and fact....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Infoanon wrote: »
    Kate taking no prisoners this morning - 'government behind covid all the time ' , 'can't do ' is no longer cutting it etc

And finishing it needs the government to listen to science and fact....

True, pity these politicians seem to lose their voices when the are in Government.

If she was in Government today she would be defending them rolling out the same s*it as the rest of them, all reading from the same script.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

A lot of sympathy for this woman and her husband. But I am not sure what more the government can do. It's not like they can send in a fleet of BlackHawks to extract him.

TBH I am suprised Tubs isn't all over this. Perfect LLS guest.

Ooh BOC pivoting into Joe and Tubs territory here "How do you feel", "Tell me about your dead mother".

• Registered Users Posts: 33,216 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Shocking story about that guy in China.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

This is the problem in doing business in a rogue state like China but this thing needs to be sorted out urgently not Coveney sending the odd email in fear of upsetting the politburo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

A lot of sympathy for this woman and her husband. But I am not sure what more the government can do. It's not like they can send in a fleet of BlackHawks to extract him.

Look what they did for Ibrahim Halawa. Why don't they pull out all the stops like they did for him?

I think she would be better off just pitching up at the Chinese embassy and carry out a protest there. Deliver her letter by hand and don't leave until you get a response. Try to get the media on board. Or contact Sean O'Fearghaill, isn't he good pals with the Chinese and their embassy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Shelga

Brendan: “He’s going to be hugely changed, isn’t he, that’s if he gets to come home”- or words to that effect! Jesus christ Brendan.

• Advertisement

Look what they did for Ibrahim Halawa. Why don't they pull out all the stops like they did for him?

I think she would be better off just pitching up at the Chinese embassy and carry out a protest there. Deliver her letter by hand and don't leave until you get a response. Try to get the media on board. Or contact Sean O'Fearghaill, isn't he good pals with the Chinese and their embassy.

What did they do for Halawa that they are not doing for this guy?
    Do you know what the Irish government have done to help this family? Do you know that went above and beyond that for Halawa.

Can you break it down for us?

Otherwise it looks like a xenophobic whataboutism.

Shelga wrote: »
    Brendan: “He’s going to be hugely changed, isn’t he, that’s if he gets to come home”- or words to that effect! Jesus christ Brendan.

That was a bit much. Trying to get the tears.

Sounds great on the promos.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Complicated area the aircraft leasing business, on the face of it looks like o halloran is innocent and doesn't have it in his power to solve this to the chinese satisfaction

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭Comhrá

TBH I am suprised Tubs isn't all over this. Perfect LLS guest.

Ooh BOC pivoting into Joe and Tubs territory here "How do you feel", "Tell me about your dead mother".

He's probably monitoring the situation in case the unfortunate man dies in China, then he'll phone the wife and invite her on to tell her story.

But is An Post not a loss making organisation? Are we not just paying for the "free post" through the taxes to subsidize it anyway?

Please pick him up on the point that if it will be "good for jobs" to have an Amazon.ie this will lead to thousands of small shops shutting down across the country. Any that actually survive COVID.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭RINO87

What has Brendan got against an Post?? He seems to be trying to go pretty hard here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭KaneToad

This is the problem in doing business in a rogue state like China but this thing needs to be sorted out urgently not Coveney sending the odd email in fear of upsetting the politburo.

There is a reason that people get paid big money to work in places like China, Middle East etc...

From my limited understanding:

The Chinese outfit, CAL, seems shady. Their head man having been convicted. O'Halloran, as a director, is now left holding the ball. There are implications when you are a company director - I doubt the guy in data entry is being pursued in a similar way. O'Halloran, if he knew nothing about the company's illegal practice, has been stitched up royally. It seems that the Chinese are of the opinion that he was in the middle of it all.

I hope this man gets a fair hearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,216 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Anyone else think Boc was a bit unfair in his questioning?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭bookman2

NIMAN wrote: »
    Anyone else think Boc was a bit unfair in his questioning?

to be honest he was spot on- yer man was waffling and really all he was saying is that the prices would be increasing.

Advertisement