Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weekend On One With Brendan O'Connor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,641 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

What? Have I an agent? No, I don't - I'm not on air "talent" nor would I have the need for an agent of any type; but what has that got to do with the topic at hand?

No, I'm not suggesting that Noel Kelly is paying RTE for the services of his clients. You're really goin out of your way to try and get me to say something there that I suspect you know yourself not to be true.

Let me ask you a question now - do you think the contributors are doing this for free?

Sorry, I just thought that you might have some personal “beef” with that agency.

Why do you seem to think that agency has some sort monopoly on RTÉ “guests”? You’re not alone in this, comes up a lot in the, anger filled, ‘Late Late Show’ in the “Television” forum.

From what I gather all contributors get a fee for appearing on air. I remember people getting “worked up”, in this forum, about Prof. Luke O’Neill’s appearances on Pat Kenny’s Newstalk show. Seemed to be a fairly nominal fee, nothing you’d retire on.

Do you think they should be doing it for free? Considering the topic that wouldn’t be a bad idea and, who knows, maybe they did do it “pro bono”.
    mgn wrote: »
    No, he contributed nothing to the show only trying to be funny.

Saying that, I used to think he was okay on The Republic Of Telly, but has gone down the PC route since,

O’Shea did seem to dominate the “slot” but I, personally, thought Whelan contributed enough.

I read that line a lot on here, what exactly does “going down the PC route” entail? I don’t listen to that radio show he does with that other guy but I’m not sure how their show would go if it wasn’t PC. They’d have to compete with Niall Boylan but I don’t think they’d last long with Today FM.

He sounds the same, to me, as he did when he was on ‘Republic of Telly’.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

mgn wrote: »
    Saying that, I used to think he was okay on The Republic Of Telly, but has gone down the PC route since,

I think adhering to the laws of political correctness is pretty much a prerequisite to having a position in any area of the entertainment industry at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Sorry, I just thought that you might have some personal “beef” with that agency.

Why do you seem to think that agency has some sort monopoly on RTÉ “guests”? You’re not alone in this, comes up a lot in the, anger filled, ‘Late Late Show’ in the “Television” forum.

From what I gather all contributors get a fee for appearing on air. I remember people getting “worked up”, in this forum, about Prof. Luke O’Neill’s appearances on Pat Kenny’s Newstalk show. Seemed to be a fairly nominal fee, nothing you’d retire on.

Do you think they should be doing it for free? Considering the topic that wouldn’t be a bad idea and, who knows, maybe they did do it “pro bono”.

O’Shea did seem to dominate the “slot” but I, personally, thought Whelan contributed enough.

I read that line a lot on here, what exactly does “going down the PC route” entail? I don’t listen to that radio show he does with that other guy but I’m not sure how their show would go if it wasn’t PC. They’d have to compete with Niall Boylan but I don’t think they’d last long with Today FM.

He sounds the same, to me, as he did when he was on ‘Republic of Telly’.

Politician's and people plugging something should not be paid to go on the air. AFAIK this is the case.

Do you know how much Luke O'Neill gets for being on Pat Kenny or any other show? (out of interest).

Funny I liked Dermo and Dave on 98FM, perhaps they were getting old by they time the arrived on Today FM. It's largely entertainment, little that would offend either the woke or un-woke crowd. Someone complained to the BAI that one of their jingles was Sexist, but the producer replied that she'd written it and it was a joke and she was laughing at herself as their boss. The BAI did not uphold the complaint.

There show is certainly not aiming to be competition to Classic Hits/4FM at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,641 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Elmo wrote: »
    Politician's and people plugging something should not be paid to go on the air. AFAIK this is the case.

Do you know how much Luke O'Neill gets for being on Pat Kenny or any other show? (out of interest).

Yeah, I’d be thinking the same. There was a mention of O’Shea’s book about his burgeoning “mid-life crisis”, can’t remember the name, but it wasn’t much of a “plug”.

Regarding Prof. Luke O’Neill, that was in the Pat Kenny thread and someone mentioned that Newstalk “contributors” get around €40. Seems a bit low for me but I’d imagine a lot of people would have no problem going on air for free. Again, I could’ve wrong on that but, either way, I don’t think they’re getting too much.

But maybe that’s how this, potential, “payola” scam works. Yer man King calls up RTÉ and says I’ll give you O’Shea and Whelan at 40 quid a pop but then you’ve got to put some female celebrity, who’s roundly despised by the men of boards.ie, on to ‘The Late Late Show’. With a spit into the palm, and a shake of the hand, the deal is done. Maybe with a more Covid cautious elbow bump these days, though.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭southstar

Yeah, I’d be thinking the same. There was a mention of O’Shea’s book about his burgeoning “mid-life crisis”, can’t remember the name, but it wasn’t much of a “plug”.

Regarding Prof. Luke O’Neill, that was in the Pat Kenny thread and someone mentioned that Newstalk “contributors” get around €40. Seems a bit low for me but I’d imagine a lot of people would have no problem going on air for free. Again, I could’ve wrong on that but, either way, I don’t think they’re getting too much.

But maybe that’s how this, potential, “payola” scam works. Yer man King calls up RTÉ and says I’ll give you O’Shea and Whelan at 40 quid a pop but then you’ve got to put some female celebrity, who’s roundly despised by the men of boards.ie, on to ‘The Late Late Show’. With a spit into the palm, and a shake of the hand, the deal is done. Maybe with a more Covid cautious elbow bump these days, though.

The "men on boards "....good lord..."the men overboard "might work though
    "

• Advertisement

It's a bit much RTE now commiserating with Maria Bailey about the press intrusion in to her life. Whatever the rights and wrongs of the case, RTE were the one who were driving this full force in the media with every news show and every media panel show they had on. She was even fodder for this show, so I'm not sure why RTE are crying crocodile tears now.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,165 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Is she hamming this up now?

Why is she on radio if it is so difficult..?

None of this should have happened. Greed seemed to be the key factor here.

Great acting skills here.

Great acting skills here.

This is all a bit odd..

Wait for the media now and all the poor Maria this and poor that. The same media who castigated her.

As my mother used to say of her mother-in-law, my lovely funny grandmother, "the Gaeity has missed out by not having you on stage".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

she has only herself to blame, only herself.

she has only herself to blame, only herself.

And her legal advisers.

Greed drove this..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Is this a callan sketch??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭RINO87

Radio off!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭golondrinas

Joan Freeman mustn’t bother with insurance. The rest of us continue to be outraged by the high cost of ins.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

I'm in tears laughing here.
    The spoofing is mind blowing

She’s laying it on with a trowel here

Utterly unconvincing

Disingenuous to her core

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Shelga

*Tearfully* "I was afraid that if I was seen pushing my kids on a swing, it would be blown up out of all proportion"

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

I think that's the most I've ever laughed while listening to this show.

What is the point of this interview? Seriously? A sitting TD tried to commit insurance fraud, was rightfully forced to leave office due to the level of public anger, and hasn't been heard from since.

If she's trying to make a wider point about the abuse women in the public eye receive on social media, which no one deserves and which can be truly vile, I can think of far more appropriate and sincere interviewees who could have appeared.

I'm fairly sure no one needs to hear this self-pitying rubbish.

I’m a mom!!!

She had to actually make an effort to say that..

Seriously, eff off!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

walshb wrote: »
    I’m a mom!!!

She had to actually make an effort to say that..

Seriously, eff off!!

That card trumps all

• Advertisement

"The choice of the people was taken away."

:D

Seriously, this is a bit much. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Kalimah

This woman is unbelievable. Lied all the way through her personal injuries claim, and now has the gall to be upset when she’s called out on it!!!!
    Get off the radio and stop digging a hole for yourself you horrible woman. You’re a disgrace to politics and decent people.
    And STILL referencing Caroline Flack who was up on assault charges!!!

That card trumps all

Not a mother, mam, mum...

A Mom!!!!!

She is beyond a joke

Disgusting self pity

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

"The choice of the people was taken away."

:D

Seriously, this is a bit much. :(

Could she not run as an independent???
    Maybe the next election???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

She had her staff log and count all the articles about her, she knows the exact amount,... was she looking to sue someone else?

Jaysus, bit taken aback by the comments. I think I may need to look over my Maria Bailey case notes again.

I wish this woman no ill will, but she is very unconvincing!

Say it and we’d probably think more of her: there was no neeed for me to sue here. I made a grave error. I’m sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Christ almighty , I just put this on halfway through and was wondering who this was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭Balagan1

Maria "I was never a feminist" Bailey. Keep on digging Maria!

Advertisement