Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weekend On One With Brendan O'Connor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Whos this one on now? €6000 in mortgage arrears and been in court twice

And 75k in tax!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Andrea Smith journalist, I really dont want to be weightist but byGod she didn't go hungry anyway

Seen more dinners than dinnertimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Expunge

elperello wrote: »
    Rory is a world class TV chef.

A kind of Irish Nigel Slater.

RTE are lucky to have him.

Does he or anyone ever mention in an interview that he's Darina's brother. Is that common knowledge?

Expunge wrote: »
    Does he or anyone ever mention in an interview that he's Darina's brother. Is that common knowledge?

Well, I know he is, for what it’s worth

On other matters, whereas Brendan might be brutal on this show, I think he writes well in his column on the front of the Sunday Indo. Today’s is a classic

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Who's that clown "singing" on Miriam's show now.

He HAS to be related to someone in RTE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,554 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

sligojoek wrote: »
    Who's that clown "singing" on Miriam's show now.

He HAS to be related to someone in RTE.

Junior Brother? Thought it was Blind Boy when he started.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Why did I leave the radio on through the Hector "love in" - you really could lose the will to live listening to Brendan. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Telling moment with hector i thought when he was asked if he ever got down, or was he "always hector", a quite perceptive question, and he responded with some bizarre and profoundly unfunny riff about lawnmowers. Never let the mask slip, i suppose. Expect he leaves the jokes to his co host on that podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Expunge wrote: »

I don't know I never heard him interviewed until today.

I knew who he is but I must have read it somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

John O'Brien, former Garda, former head of the traffic corps, was on for his regular appearance.

Marian finnucane used to be in thrall to him.

He has the voice and style of a parish priest.

Where's the off button.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭Infoanon

imme wrote: »
    John O'Brien, former Garda, former head of the traffic corps, was on for his regular appearance.

Marian finnucane used to be in thrall to him.

He has the voice and style of a parish priest.

Where's the off button.

John O Brien was a voice of reason countering Brenda Powers hyperbole filled commentart.
    In Brendas world everyone is absolutely wrong and her views are absolutely right.
    Brendan didn't take her to task on anything and when one of the other panel members intervened Brendan said let Brenda finish what she was saying.

John O Brien repeatedly used the term 'coffee panel' regarding some of the debate and he was spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,554 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Infoanon wrote: »
    Brendan didn't take her to task on anything and when one of the other panel members intervened Brendan said let Brenda finish what she was saying.

I would say that Brendan is very much afraid of the “backlash” her type tend to inflict on the national broadcaster. He’s a slave to the, dreaded, RTÉ “balance”.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭touts

Brendan just advised everyone to go out and panic buy toilet paper as there is a lockdown coming in the next few hours.

Does he even ****ing think ahead before he speaks?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

touts wrote: »
    Brendan just advised everyone to go out and panic buy toilet paper as there is a lockdown coming in the next few hours.

Ah here if we've lost our sense of humour we're really banjaxed ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Cole

touts wrote: »

He tends to start every show with a smart-arse dig at something...usually at the expense of the government or NPHET and Covid-19.

In his element now...male friendship and feelings.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭touts

Callan57 wrote: »
    Ah here if we've lost our sense of humour we're really banjaxed ;)

He was being deadly serious. It was sort like Leo addressing the nation or Ryan before the late late. We'll all get through this together sort of thing.

He was clearly watching the late late last night and thought I should do that tomorrow. Except he hadn't a ****ing clue what to say and when the red light went on in the studio the only reassuring advice that drifted through his mind was it's time to panic buy toilet paper now before the stores all shut forever in a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Roddy Doyle on again, turning off now, ahhhhhh :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

That fella over on newstalk now, is he Kerr? Terrible voice for radio imv can't listen to him at all, midwest it is so

So predictable of BOC to get Roddy Doyle to almost apologise for the lack of a woman's perspective in his book...about male friendship. Roddy killed that pretty quickly.

I'm sure BOC will issue an apology later for having too many men/men's views on the show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭Infoanon

That fella over on newstalk now, is he Kerr? Terrible voice for radio imv can't listen to him at all, midwest it is so

Content tends to be very good though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Bobby had cancer a while back and it affected his speech. But I do agree it's not an easy listen.

Luke O'Neill again - what are you selling us today Luke? The "Jim Power" of COVID.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

I know it's the term that she wants him to use, but "little people" just feels wrong!

BOC tripping all over himself searching for the 'right' language to use...referring to a texter as a "big person" and himself as a "privileged white male"...correcting a texter for saying "girl" when it should be "woman"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

Cole wrote: »
    BOC tripping all over himself searching for the 'right' language to use...referring to a texter as a "big person" and himself as a "privileged white male"...correcting a texter for saying "girl" when it should be "woman"

Thought he was going to interject when she called burgers "man food" but he didnt in fairness!

PieOhMy wrote: »
    Thought he was going to interject when she called burgers "man food" but he didnt in fairness!
    Yeah was surprised he let that go alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Cole wrote: »

Don't listen to him at all if I can help it. Constantly holding conversations up qualifying things and picking the right words.

I heard him at that privileged stuff while standing in for SOR last year. Apologising for being a privileged white middle aged male. Puke inducing.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Anyone catch the chefs handle? Missed it

pc7 wrote: »
    Anyone catch the chefs handle? Missed it

Gina Daly, I think

• Advertisement

I know it's the term that she wants him to use, but "little people" just feels wrong!

I hate that term too, as it can be confused with children. I would personally use the word "petite stature", which implies you are not referring to children but rather people of low physical stature, but condensing it a bit whilst being polite, the word "petite" usually bring used in a complementary sense.

Advertisement