Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weekend On One With Brendan O'Connor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,258 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

bossdrum wrote: »
    A quick synopsis:

All men are brutes.
    Most men hit women etc....

Then she admits to hitting a woman herself because that woman hurt her, so thats OK:rolleyes:

I don't normally listen to the show. But I found it strangely fascinating listening to Nell. She seemed blind to her contradictions and prejudices. Even though she was articulate she had the blinkers on.

She still seems to have a massive chip on her shoulder. She expects that all men treat women badly.

I remember she was on 'Celebrity Bainisteoir' with that massive chip on her shoulder and she was shocked that the lads were actually nice to her.

I also remember when she was on the RTE panel for the Holland v Ireland 1994 world cup game. Where Frank Stapelton was too much of a gent to tell her that she was talking through her hat.

Personally I found Brendan O'Connor very soft on Nell, he did not explore why she still had this strong prejudice against men. It was almost as if he felt sorry for her so thread carefully. Preferring to dwell on the 'lonely' aspect of her life.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭bossdrum

There were loads of texts in about the nell interview, he said, but he only read out the one that said she is a national treasure. I'm sure that was representative.

She can certainly generate a treasure for some people.
    She cost Newstalk a chunk of cash (€450,000) a few years ago when speaking about Mary Harney and I remember on the Late Late Show last year when in the audience on a tribute show she threw a strop as she wasn't allowed so speak longer.

I'm amazed that she gets any coverage any longer on any mainstream media, especially to speak live.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭williestroker1

She was a regular on with Marian years ago until one morning she accused the hospice of euthanasia. That was the last time Marian had her on.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,258 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

bossdrum wrote: »
    She can certainly generate a treasure for some people.
    She cost Newstalk a chunk of cash (€450,000) a few years ago when speaking about Mary Harney and I remember on the Late Late Show last year when in the audience on a tribute show she threw a strop as she wasn't allowed so speak longer.

I'm amazed that she gets any coverage any longer on any mainstream media, especially to speak live.
    She was a regular on with Marian years ago until one morning she accused the hospice of euthanasia. That was the last time Marian had her on.

Oh right didn't know about the hospice one. And had forgotten about the Harney incident and Gay Byrne's Late Late tribute.

In hindsight maybe Brendan O'Connor was right with the softly, softly, approach.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,287 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

As I said earlier I didn’t listen to it but I’m curious - was it a live interview? If so I’m not surprised that he took a softly softly approach. She is capable of saying anything on air

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

In hindsight maybe Brendan O'Connor was right with the softly, softly, approach.

I thought Brendan did well no the part where he got the stories out of her about Nuala O'Faolain, by very gently probing with out directly referencing what he wanted her to speak about. She is very interesting to listen to on this. She's reached that stage in life when you have no ego, and can almost speak about yourself in the third person.

He let the ball drop on the "All men are brutes". Far too soft on this. It seems to me that if she had made such a sweeping generalisation about ANY other group then she would have been immediately shut down. I agree with free speech for sure, and she has the right to say whatever she wants, but not without challenge.

RTE got great mileage when "racist" Donald Trump referred to Mexicans as "rapists", but it's okay for Nel to refer to all men (including Mexicans!!) as "brutes".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

As I said earlier I didn’t listen to it but I’m curious - was it a live interview? If so I’m not surprised that he took a softly softly approach. She is capable of saying anything on air

I didn't even know that old dear was still on the go, she is completely and utterly irrelevant, and always was, she has done more harm to women down the years because of her outbursts. Lots of women want to raise family's, and are happily and willgly domesticated, that is their choice, they are not enslaved by men, if a women's free choice doesn't correspond with her ideas, then she willingly throws them under the bus. Lots of women are happy homemakers, this woman talks a lot, but doesn't make much sense, the drum that she is beating must nearly be worn out by now. Only in this country would you have Daniel O'Donnell on the late late and Nell Mccafferty on the radio, says more about RTE than anything else, all the stories are exhausted by now surely, same tripe for 30 years, Brendan is a good host though, he is good on the radio. But RTE is to blame, same old dogs, no new tricks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

I didn't even know that old dear was still on the go, she is completely and utterly irrelevant, and always was, she has done more harm to women down the years because of her outbursts. Lots of women want to raise family's, and are happily and willgly domesticated, that is their choice, they are not enslaved by men, if a women's free choice doesn't correspond with her ideas, then she willingly throws them under the bus. Lots of women are happy homemakers, this woman talks a lot, but doesn't make much sense, the drum that she is beating must nearly be worn out by now. Only in this country would you have Daniel O'Donnell on the late late and Nell Mccafferty on the radio, says more about RTE than anything else, all the stories are exhausted by now surely, same tripe for 30 years, Brendan is a good host though, he is good on the radio. But RTE is to blame, same old dogs, no new tricks.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Rabbit Redux

It was recorded during the week. RTE clearly not taking any chances with her being live anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,079 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

It was recorded during the week. RTE clearly not taking any chances with her being live anymore.

Good decision there...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

Good decision there...

Better decision would have been not to let the auld beuer anywhere near the mic of a national radio station !

Just this posters opinion.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Callan57 wrote: »
    :rolleyes::rolleyes:

By that I mean happy in the home, not tied to the kitchen.

I thought it would have been absolutely crazy of them to do it live, but it did seem live. How did they work in the "live" texters, did Brendan fake those bits on the fly?

I think there were a few hearts in mouths when she named Maureen Gaffney as her counsellor. I certainly moved a bit closer to the radio when she mentioned her name in anticipation of another potential lawsuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭robo

I thought it would have been absolutely crazy of them to do it live, but it did seem live. How did they work in the "live" texters, did Brendan fake those bits on the fly?

I think there were a few hearts in mouths when she named Maureen Gaffney as her counsellor. I certainly moved a bit closer to the radio when she mentioned her name in anticipation of another potential lawsuit.

He read the texts out after the interview, not with her.

So the way it is, you don't like someone's views then RTE shouldn't have them on the radio? Ah yes that's how it should work.
    In fairness to O'Connor he did reference the fact that she hit a woman twice during the interview and he did "try" to challenge her on "All men are brutes" - but not very well.

But yes its good to hear different voices and opinions on the radio - whether we like them or not, agree with them or not and if not - switch the channel?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,806 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Makes me wonder what hit the cutting room floor.

<a reference for the older ones>
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Just listening now, my jaw dropped when she spoke about men the way she did unchallenged by BoC. I cannot believe she was allowed away with that. If a man spoke about a woman in those terms there would be a melt down and burning at the stake.

ETA- I am a woman

• Registered Users Posts: 19,079 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

pc7 wrote: »
    Just listening now, my jaw dropped when she spoke about men the way she did unchallenged by BoC. I cannot believe she was allowed away with that. If a man spoke about a woman in those terms there would be a melt down and burning at the stake.

If she posted that stuff here she’d be banned!!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Had to turn it off, some dodgy poem now. I don’t know what is going on with the show, I always thought he did a decent job when he covered for Marian, it’s just brutally bad now.

robo wrote: »
    So the way it is, you don't like someone's views then RTE shouldn't have them on the radio? Ah yes that's how it should work.

That's actually the complete opposite of what I said. I think everybody has the right to have any views they want, but the presenter should tackle each person with the same vigor. Not just let their comments slide without challenge because a) they agree with the comments or b) they are afraid of the backlash of challenging somebody who is popular or from a minority group.

The rules need to be the same for everybody.

I'm sick of listening to these academics and politicians telling us about how the right thing to do is to keep the economy closed. They should all be put on 350 a week, and then ask them for their opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭robo

That's actually the complete opposite of what I said. I think everybody has the right to have any views they want, but the presenter should tackle each person with the same vigor. Not just let their comments slide without challenge because a) they agree with the comments or b) they are afraid of the backlash of challenging somebody who is popular or from a minority group.

The rules need to be the same for everybody.

Apologies for the mix up, my message to you in my post was to answer your question on how he read the texts, she wasn't there

I'd say BOC was kinda floored by her comments on men. But you are right rules need to be the same for everyone

pc7 wrote: »
    Had to turn it off, some dodgy poem now.
    Rita Ann Higgins?

I wasn't keen on this weeks poem, but she's been absolutely outstanding in the previous few weeks. Poets shouldn't be expected to create works of genius (or even worthy of broadcast) on a weekly basis, but she's had a stellar run for the previous month. Have a listen to this one, I hope that you shall change your mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

^^^ Sorry, utter tripe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

She wrote a poem years back called "the have you come yets of the western world" twas a favourite of mine for a long time but that doesn't say much in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

I'm sick of listening to these academics ... telling us about how the right thing to do is to keep the economy closed.
    Agreeing with Michael Gove, I see ...
    I think the people in this country have had enough of experts
    Sure, maybe the whole thing is a hoax and we should never had locked down the country at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

serfboard wrote: »
    Agreeing with Michael Gove, I see ...

Sure, maybe the whole thing is a hoax and we should never had locked down the country at all?

.. and the dead are only pretending :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

Irish Times have an article on BOC this morning. Not very complimentary and in keeping with much of the sentiment expressed here.

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/tv-radio-web/the-strain-is-starting-to-tell-on-brendan-o-connor-1.4264814

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Looks like there'll be a huge push to have us all holiday at home this year by frightening us from gettin on an aeroplane

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Caught the show just before midday - Mary Ann Higgins - allegedly a poet and I'm back to listening to bird song on YouTube. Glad I don't pay a licence fee. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

His "discussion" with the first guest regarding lockdown issues was very poor, i thought. Interrupted nearly every single question and seemed more concerned to get his own views across rather than those of his guest. Might as well have gone the whole hog and just delivered a monologue instead.

Advertisement