Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weekend On One With Brendan O'Connor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

dulpit wrote: »
    Listening to show today for first time, is this a fairly representative example of the show? What utter dross. I used really enjoy Brendan O'Connor covering Marian's show, but this is brutal stuff altogether. Maybe he's just phoning it in because it's a bank holiday weekend?

Unfortunately it has been like this since he took over. I’ve unfortunately stopped listening for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,285 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Unfortunately it has been like this since he took over. I’ve unfortunately stopped listening for the most part.

Tried listening yesterday for a bit. Had to reach for the switch when Charlie Bird's grandson was brought on. Utter dross, pulling from the Ray D'Arcy playbook of boring radio. Nothing on Saturday to compete with it, but I would guess that Gavan Reilly's show on newstalk on Sundays will get a ratings bump...

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭timetogo1

dulpit wrote: »
    Tried listening yesterday for a bit. Had to reach for the switch when Charlie Bird's grandson was brought on. Utter dross, pulling from the Ray D'Arcy playbook of boring radio. Nothing on Saturday to compete with it, but I would guess that Gavan Reilly's show on newstalk on Sundays will get a ratings bump...

I think this was the jump the shark episode for me. I listen to it on podcast so generally reach for this show as close to my last resort when all else has been listened to.

Listening to Fintan O'Tool saying, "I'm not complaining.." and then complain or "This is not with the benefit of hindsight" and then use hindsight to back up his arguments. I just about made it through that then the Charlie Bird bit came on. I gave up there.

So I turned on this weeks Irish Times Inside Politics podcast and Fintan O'Toole was on that this week going through the same stuff. Fuk.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,079 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Ballsy is floundering a bit.......especially the Saturday editions.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

timetogo1 wrote: »
    I think this was the jump the shark episode for me. I listen to it on podcast so generally reach for this show as close to my last resort when all else has been listened to.

Listening to Fintan O'Tool saying, "I'm not complaining.." and then complain or "This is not with the benefit of hindsight" and then use hindsight to back up his arguments. I just about made it through that then the Charlie Bird bit came on. I gave up there.

So I turned on this weeks Irish Times Inside Politics podcast and Fintan O'Toole was on that this week going through the same stuff. Fuk.

Yeah agree 100%...Ballsy is just not suited to this type of segment....was tolerable as a stand in for the Maid but just not suited to a permanent gig.

The distancing does make it more difficult it should be said......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

You'd swear there was only one sunday paper printed in this country listening to this show this morning. Cursory mention for Brenda power & business post, otherwise sunday independent all the way. Seems its the only paper that had any stories today worth detailed discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

The "Culture spot".

Normal People. On RTE

Dana Documentary. On RTE

Pure Mule. On RTE

Batchelors Walk. On RTE

RTE Player. Good luck with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,287 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Such a boring ego stroking self obsessed interview with “celebrity chef” Dylan McGrath at the moment.

Sad to say BOC has been disappointing overall

• Registered Users Posts: 15,287 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Billy Keane now... bore fest

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Stilted and mundane conversation there. Very disappointed with Beefy now.

I was looking forward to him in this role.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭bossdrum

Billy Keane now... bore fest

But Brendan tells us 'you could listen to him all day':D

I think the first hour of this program has been his worst since he took over.
    And now its rounded off with a poem.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Ah Ralph mc tell why couldn't you leave your great classic alone

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

He just added a verse, not as if all the previous versions have been taken out of circulation. Still to be enjoyed at anybody's leisure. I think the songs might have been given more than 20 seconds of airtime though.

Brendan is a bore. But...

I must give the fella credit for calling out the buffoon ministers like the justice minister making a big big argument over...

Making allowance for the distance it took to travel to a game of golf.

I suppose a bunch of boardsies now from the golf forum will descend up this post and report me... go ahead...get me banned from the radio forum!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

Well this is taking a turn this morning!! I can't figure out what I'm listening to.

All gender and curtains:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

Curtains can wait but paint and nails can't.
    Its anti women seemingly......

That’s some hatchet on now.

They just want to play the gender card.

Fair play to Conor Skeehan calling these coins out.

The Govt. can’t fcuking micro manage every shop.. c’mon.

61% of deaths are male, but women are being disproportionately impacted????

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Treppen

So curtains vs hardware represent female oppression. Im glad the guy on this radio program is calling the bullshoite coming from Brendan and the other knicker twisters.

• Advertisement

Treppen wrote: »
    So curtains vs hardware represent female oppression. Im glad the guy on this radio program is calling the bullshoite coming from Brendan and the other knicker twisters.

Conor Skeehan, let’s give him the credit.

Mav11 wrote: »
    61% of deaths are male, but women are being disproportionately impacted????

You'd get more journalistic sense out of Gemma O Dokerty than some of the idiocy on this show.

Couldn't they just put a blanket or an old coat against the toddlers window who can't sleep. Do you have to go shopping for curtains?

Ya if we could all stop calling it a lockdown that'd be great.

That’s some hatchet on now.

They just want to play the gender card.

Fair play to Conor Pope calling these coins out.

The Govt. can’t fcuking micro manage every shop.. c’mon.

Conor Skeehan

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

I missed the names of the panel at the start
    Who is the Niamh woman speaking at the moment?

Niamh Horan

• Registered Users Posts: 28,819 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I thought it was Niamh Hourigan?

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I thought it was Niamh Hourigan?

You could be right!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭MintyMagnum

Wouldn't Homeware shops be helpful for people who want to make homemade face coverings ie cotton material, elastic, needle, thread, etc Not every corner shop would suffice? Just a thought.

Advertisement