Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weekend On One With Brendan O'Connor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,079 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Treppen wrote: »
    Conor Skeehan

Sorry Tee, thanks for that, just half heard the intros.

Got a bit riled up with those two hatchets and threw the head.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

I don't remember any palaver when I left 6th class ... just the sheer delight of getting out that door!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

Callan57 wrote: »
    I don't remember any palaver when I left 6th class ... just the sheer delight of getting out that door!

I think we got a half day and just went home.
    End of!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

Callan57 wrote: »

Snowflakes:D

I think we got a half day and just went home.
    End of!

Schoolbag found in the ditch the next day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭jay0109

No wonder there's a feminist slant on the show...I just switched on to hear Collette Brown is on the panel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

Well the first 30 mins of the show was entertaining, bizarre but entertaining. Just a bit of a drone now!!!

I’m surprised at Brendan. He seems to need to get his point of view over, at the expense of listening to his guests. I missed the anti-female section, but did hear him bemoan New Zealand’s efforts against COVID-19, asking what had they done to their tourism industry. Someone put him right - they’re going to have plenty of people coming from Australia (which also got a dig) South East Asia and China in due course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭jay0109

Browne is her long list of what's wrong with Ireland pointed out how Denmark's schools can reopen quicker than ours because they have smaller class sizes...10 is the number quoted.
    A quick google and the OECD website tells me that their average is actually 20.

She really is a spoofer of the highest order but it tells you all you to need to know about the Irish media establishment that you can throw anything out there and still get called to come back to similar shows over and over again.

jay0109 wrote: »
    Browne is her long list of what's wrong with Ireland pointed out how Denmark's schools can reopen quicker than ours because they have smaller class sizes...10 is the number quoted.

She really is a spoofer of the highest order but it tells you all you to need to know about the Irish media establishment that you can throw anything out there and still get called to come back to similar shows over and over again.

How some of these tossers get called back time after time to argue pure crap week after week.

Do these coins ever, I say, ever, think that the individual should take any responsibility at all.

Do they think that the Govt should inspect every shop or premises in the country and individually give them a yea or nay.

You have to start SOMEWHERE .

Where have all these hatchets sprung from one has to ask?

How many of these ‘columnists’ and ‘color writers’ have sprung up from nowhere, mostly as negative as you get,who’s main agenda seems to be dig out anything, anything, negative.

Sure there’s stuff which needs adjustment and stuff, but banging on about curtains and home stores like Hourigan was is bile inducing.

Load of rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,821 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Kinda like boards.ie, then - pick a figure, throw it out there, and very quickly it becomes a "fact".

That's the way things seem to roll these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭bossdrum

No wonder there's a feminist slant on the show...I just switched on to hear Collette Brown is on the panel

I would never be one to defend Colette Brown but even she had to step in to correct Brendan O'Connors wokeness.
    Brendan insinuated that golf was allowed open because it was mainly men that played it.
    Colette Brown corrected him in saying that it was because it was one of the easier sports to social distance along with tennis.:D

Also, aren't they all being sexist presuming that its mostly men that the hardware shops would suit and that men would have no interest in homeware?
    I'm sure there are plenty of men that would rather the hardware shop stayed closed as their female partners/wives are the ones that have a long list of jobs for them to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I'm so disappointed in Brendan. He's no replacement at all for Marian. It's like he has mistaken his role there ,not as reflecting on the current narrative, but actually creating it. This cobbling together what "the nation feels" from his own experiences of mental health issues and his personal difficulties with lockdown and school closure is so tiresome. It's not news, it's not helpful. So what if 12 year olds don't get an official end of school day? Suck it up kids, you'll have had an epic summer break most of us only dreamt of when we were in school and the "sacrifice" was so that people didn't actually die. Would Brendan give a flying flip if it didn't directly concern his own daughter? No chance!
    No wringing of hands for the kids with concerns about returning to school because they're worried about a parent or sibling on chemo etc.

I also find he's taken aback by an intelligent panelist not towing the Brendan O'Connor line. His palpable terror that a discussion might errupt outside of his comfort zone means that panelists sit back nodding and smiling unless given the nod that he's approved their views as aligning with his own.
    Brendan you're there to provide a forum for people smarter than you to discuss the events of the week. If you're out of your depth then refer the point of discussion to someone on the panel, your role is just to step in before skin and hair start flying!

Connor Skeehan was a breath of fresh air this morning , someone with an less zeitgeist opinion that wasn't afraid to express it. Unfortunately his contribution was ridiculed a little by the "oh , I thought you'd say I was from another planet " stuff so he didn't blaze on as he might have.

I feel Brendan's been really irresponsible through this. His concerns have centred around his own mental wellbeing without much regard for the nation at all. Would we all like a little flight off to Spain for a few days? Actually Brendan most of us would rather not go and bring back a virus that might proliferate through out communities and kill, most of us realise that's the best way out of lockdown and want a functioning economy and health service as soon as we can.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,288 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I echo most of the above.

I was hoping for good things but I get an awful vibe of deluded self entitlement and pure laziness from him so far on the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭sideboard

How some of these tossers get called back time after time to argue pure crap week after week.

Do these coins ever, I say, ever, think that the individual should take any responsibility at all.

Do they think that the Govt should inspect every shop or premises in the country and individually give them a yea or nay.

How many of these ‘columnists’ and ‘color writers’ have sprung up from nowhere, mostly as negative as you get,who’s main agenda seems to be dig out anything, anything, negative.

Sure there’s stuff which needs adjustment and stuff, but banging on about curtains and home stores like Hourigan was is bile inducing.

Load of rubbish.

Bud, you could easily be writing (and reading) your own script...

sideboard wrote: »
    Bud, you could easily be writing (and reading) your own script...

You got me there,bub.

No comprendo senor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Treppen

I echo most of the above.

I was hoping for good things but I get an awful vibe of deluded self entitlement and pure laziness from him so far on the show.

Maybe he thinks he's like Marian F and stroll in with zero research done.
    She could do that ,but when she did she knew how to play the game.
    Today was lazy woke tripe journalism at its worst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Mancomb Seepgood

Is there any surprise that the show has turned out like this?I can remember his column in The Sunday Independent,rubbish contrarianism for the sake of being a contrarian (although thinking about it he was in lockstep with most of the other opinion writers there and the paper's owner).Extremely shallow approach to everything,his sneering about New Zealand's policies were telling.

I tend to dislike listening to hacks talking about the Sunday papers which is why it was my first time in weeks listening to it this morning,but Marian was so much better at this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Load of rubbish.

I was glad she was called out when she claimed there was "No clear information" communicated from the government so can understand people flouting restrictions. Even disregarding the list of documents they've published online about the disease and restrictions, I'd say about 75% of radio advertising time now consists of long government ads explaining the current situation and restrictions etc. in painstaking detail. I haven't watched much TV lately but presume it's similar. Buy any newspaper and there'll be several full page spreads on Covid-19, even Youtube inundates me with Covid-19 ads from the HSE.

And of course not opening homeware shops must be gender bias, because everything is gender bias. Imagine if Simon Harris said "in the interests of women, we're allowing homeware shops to open". You'd have the very same people saying it's misogyny and offensive that he associates homeware with women.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,903 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Is there any surprise that the show has turned out like this?I can remember his column in The Sunday Independent,rubbish contrarianism for the sake of being a contrarian (although thinking about it he was in lockstep with most of the other opinion writers there and the paper's owner).Extremely shallow approach to everything,his sneering about New Zealand's policies were telling.

I tend to dislike listening to hacks talking about the Sunday papers which is why it was my first time in weeks listening to it this morning,but Marian was so much better at this.

Plus he seems to treat the Sunday papers segment as an opportunity to cheerlead for his buddies. "An interesting piece by Niamh Horan". He constantly had her on the TV show as well.

• Advertisement

Plus he seems to treat the Sunday papers segment as an opportunity to cheerlead for his buddies. "An interesting piece by Niamh Horan". He constantly had her on the TV show as well.

In my opinion far too many of these hacks are appearing as ‘influencers’ on shows like these.

Now I know one has to have some, but as I see it almost every coin who appears on radio these days is a columnist on some rag or other.

They horse their opinions out like they expect to be treated like as if speaking ‘ex cathedra’ and cannot be contradicted!!!

Conor Skeehan , if I got the name right was the only one who stood up to the other two last Sunday.

When Ballsy tried to interrupt one of them on her favorite hobby horse, she nearly took the head off him.

Way too many of these churns with agendas trying to brainwash people about, in my opinion.

I could name at least 20 of them shunting out columns and ‘opinion pieces’ for various rags and appearing with monotonous regularity on the various platforms of RTE.

Bit rich, I feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

I cant see o'connor lasting in this slot

I cant see o'connor lasting in this slot

Whooooooy?

Nell McCafferty on now god help us

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Thanks for the warning

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭bossdrum

A quick synopsis:

All men are brutes.
    Most men hit women etc....

Then she admits to hitting a woman herself because that woman hurt her, so thats OK:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭DUBACC

Possibly the most openly sexist person (these days) I’ve listened to on radio

Radio Went off the minute I heard him announce her. Can’t be listening to her ramblings on a nice Saturday morning

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

I was listening to the nell mccafferty interview, she came across as a man hater saying all men have thought about hitting women. Then extols hitting an ex partner herself !!
    I was surprised she wasn't challenged more by o Connor
    I can't see him lasting in that slot if he keeps going the way he's going

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

There were loads of texts in about the nell interview, he said, but he only read out the one that said she is a national treasure. I'm sure that was representative.

Advertisement