Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weekend On One With Brendan O'Connor

Options

Comments

Leased / Bought .....is it not much of a muchness over the longer term ?

Lease = pay as you go

Buy = financial commitment

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

Lease = pay as you go

Buy = financial commitment

Yes....I know that...but in the longer term surely it works out similiar amounts.?

And with lease you have down payments ....balloon payments etc ?

Surely no one buys an expensive car with cash any so even the bought ones are paid for via a loan of some sort ?

Anyway my point was that some of these SME owners live pretty high on the hog and appear to have little contingency plans to cater for downturns.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

Leased / Bought .....is it not much of a muchness over the longer term ?
    If you're the Owner/Director of an SME and you buy your own car using your after-tax income, that's much different to your company leasing the car and giving it to you as a company car. The second is far more "tax efficient" than the first.

And, if the car is electric, you pay no BIK.

serfboard wrote: »
    If you're the Owner/Director of an SME and you buy your own car using your after-tax income, that's much different to your company leasing the car and giving it to you as a company car. The second is far more "tax efficient" than the first.

And, if the car is electric, you pay no BIK.

Sure ......yes that was my point the company can also buy the car and give it to Director as a company car.

My point was that these Dudes can get high end vehicles very "tax efficiently" and basically remunerate themselves generously also.

Sure ......yes that was my point the company can also buy the car and give it to Director as a company car.

My point was that these Dudes can get high end vehicles very "tax efficiently" and basically remunerate themselves generously also.

And it's a good point. They also tend to employ their husbands/wives/off-spring/lovers/ as researchers, admin, secretaries and whatever you’re having yourself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,402 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Listening to show today for first time, is this a fairly representative example of the show? What utter dross. I used really enjoy Brendan O'Connor covering Marian's show, but this is brutal stuff altogether. Maybe he's just phoning it in because it's a bank holiday weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Miriam, whatever her faults, i remember usually had very good, often incisive interviews on saturdays. All i got today was cosy chats with Billy and "Dr Eva" and someone whose name i didnt catch talking about matt damon. Now on about reality tv show. Like getting another dose of tubridy or d'arcy on the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Is Beefy suffering from nervousness?

He cuts across contributors even more jarringly then the battleaxe Wilson, there were a couple of (zoom/skype?) interviews today, I get that there's a delay at times, but...

In the past he's been far more relaxed, both on radio & TV.

Is Beefy suffering from nervousness?

He cuts across contributors even more jarringly then the battleaxe Wilson, there were a couple of (zoom/skype?) interviews today, I get that there's a delay at times, but...

In the past he's been far more relaxed, both on radio & TV.

No...I think Ballsy is trying just a little toooo hard...the lad clearly is not suitable for an extended run in this type of show.

I also agree that in the past he has been far more relaxed....I guess the fact that the listenrship figures are down to him now is causing some angst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Unfortunately it's a very poor show. Brendan has conformed so much to the "RTE presenter" template that he has lost everything that made him interesting. I used to like him because he was a bit of a rogue, a bit mischievous, a bit risqué. But that is all gone. He's been completely castrated. There's probably not much in having him presenting if he can't be himself, they may as well just get any of the other 2nd tier RTE squares to present the thing.

I am also conscious that he is presenting the show when there is a very narrow focus of topics i.e. cheerleading the shutting down of the economy. So maybe if/when this whole lockdown is over and there are some regular stories for the show to discuss, the show might be a bit better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Unfortunately it's a very poor show. Brendan has conformed so much to the "RTE presenter" template that he has lost everything that made him interesting. I used to like him because he was a bit of a rogue, a bit mischievous, a bit risqué. But that is all gone.

He seems to be both obsessed, and “hamstrung”, by the ridiculous RTÉ need for balance.

It was the same with anything “controversial” on his ‘Cutting Edge’ tv show. He’ll throw in an opposite statement to something someone put forward with a sheepish smile and his hands up explaining that he has to do it.

Would be interesting to see if Newstalk would “poach” him to replace Ivan Yates, he’d be guaranteed a show on TV3 if he did.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 19,138 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

He seems to be both obsessed, and “hamstrung”, by the ridiculous RTÉ need for balance.

It was the same with anything “controversial” on his ‘Cutting Edge’ tv show. He’ll throw in an opposite statement to something someone put forward with a sheepish smile and his hands up explaining that he has to do it.

Would be interesting to see if Newstalk would “poach” him to replace Ivan Yates, he’d be guaranteed a show on TV3 if he did.

Wonder would they go after SOR?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,402 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Wonder would they go after SOR?

Doubt it, SOR has already said he expects to be back broadcasting on rte in some manner in the future.

dulpit wrote: »
    Doubt it, SOR has already said he expects to be back broadcasting on rte in some manner in the future.

He must be an Eagles fan...

“You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave”

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Historybluff

I’ve always liked Brendan’s style but, having listened to him today, he’s turned more hectoring and interruptive (is that a word?). Does he think he’s Paxman? I also feel that he floats a random thought, mostly some form of “dig”, and then moves on, leaving it hanging.

I agree with this. Brendan asks long-winded questions but gives his panelists very little time to answer them. He interrupts the guests with unnecessary clarifications and trivial corrections. I sometimes think he deliberately does this to throw them off their stride. And while this might indicate a mischievous side to his character, he gets very nervous when his guests disagree. Like a jittery substitute teacher, he tries to smother the argument as quickly as possible. Hopefully, over the coming months he'll learn to ask short questions and allow the conversations to develop organically.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭ZeroCool17

I agree with this. Brendan asks long-winded questions but gives his panelists very little time to answer them. He interrupts the guests with unnecessary clarifications and trivial corrections. I sometimes think he deliberately does this to throw them off their stride. And while this might indicate a mischievous side to his character, he gets very nervous when his guests disagree. Like a jittery substitute teacher, he tries to smother the argument as quickly as possible. Hopefully, over the coming months he'll learn to ask short questions and allow the conversations to develop organically.

I completely agree. I actually came looking to see if there was a thread for this show as I had gone for my walk, put on the podcast of this mornings show and got more annoyed by the minute from him asking Cillian complicated questions and cutting him off 5 seconds in! Its maddening...

I used to love Marian and to be fair I really enjoyed Brendan when he was the guest host but every weekend it's getting harder to listen to. Maybe he will get better with time as you said. Let's hope so because the Newspaper Panel is a great slot. Or was at least!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,353 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

This Derek Mooney Eurovision book sounds absolute RUBBISH

• Registered Users Posts: 15,353 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Mooney wants this to be the next Mamma Mia??

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

That Mooney segment was like a wind up. Now poetry, maybe I’m some sort of uncouth barbarian but the poem is a load of rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

pc7 wrote: »
    That Mooney segment was like a wind up. Now poetry, maybe I’m some sort of uncouth barbarian but the poem is a load of rubbish

Poor Cooper Clarke imitation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I have lot of respect for Derek Mooney when it comes to wildlife ...any other subject it's a quick reach for the dial.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Is it just me but is poor Brendan even worse than usual today? His style of interview is painful - even the chat with the child who wrote to Leo was excruciating.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I turned over at one stage and Ballsey was saying, " So your father died when you were young. It was a very traumatic death made worse by the fact that you were there"

CLICK !!

Byeeeeeeee.

RTE Death FM.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

180k a year

jay0109 wrote: »
    180k a year

Who?

I'm not sure. I'm certainly not the target market, but the concept of using Eurovision songs in a Momma Mia style musical and targeting at the gay market doesn't seem like the worst idea in the world. It might be seen a cynically commercial cashing in on the Eurovision brand, but it certainly sounds like something that could make money.

Might be interesting to see how they debate the royalties with all of the individual song rights holders.

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Is it just me but is poor Brendan even worse than usual today? His style of interview is painful - even the chat with the child who wrote to Leo was excruciating.

Oh god yeah, Very surprised with Brendan with the patronising and metaphorical "patting on the head" tone that he adopted. I thought he was a bit more worldly and knew how to communicate with kids a bit better.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Rabbit Redux

Working for RTE not only means a very handsome sinecure, it also ensures that its presenters can indulge in silly flights of fancy and be guaranteed a prime spot to flog it on the national airwaves.
    Derek Mooney enlists John MacKenna to write a whimsical novel about Eurovision with a view to turning it into a singalong musical. It sounds absolutely horrendous, but who cares as long as the publicity is free? It's probably giving Joe Duffy ideas about transferring his bukes into stage musicals as well......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

• Advertisement

Mindboggling innit .

Advertisement