Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Brendan Monday 13 Jan 2020 ** See Mod note in OP before posting**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Should have named it “Storm Brennan”.
    The wife’s away with the van and trailer to get bread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭uchimata83

Looks like the worst of it has passed, getting brighter here in Kerry. I wonder would there have been such a clamor for red if it were to happen on a Saturday or a Sunday. The botox lad from TV3 should be ashamed of himself (if he wasn't already I mean).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

We seem to be picking up again a bit here.

600FT ASL - McGillycuddy Reeks - Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 11,288 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Fairly obvious squall line passing through the southwest.

Screenshot-2020-01-13-11-55-17.png

Screenshot-2020-01-13-11-59-06.pngLooks even better earlier on with the Sun shadow.Screenshot-2020-01-13-12-04-43.png

• Registered Users Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Wind has eased off a bit. The rain will be clearing shortly i'd say. Hopefully we do get round 2 as the low move away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Did you call ESB?
    What about second core of strong winds later, I'm concerned about the electricity pole hanging down and the sheet iron thats been ripped off

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭wazzoraybelle

crossman47 wrote: »
    Crosshaven?

No, Eastern side of Harbour by Inch Strand

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

John.Icy wrote: »
    It is frustrating how many conflicting reports come from small areas. Both very windy and barely a breeze in parts of Kildare.

Midday observations will be interesting. Only Sherkin and Roches point (duh) have reached orange of the ME group. I imagine more will come on board orange going by reports.

Will be interesting to see alright. Also, of interest will be how many stations stay within the yellow warning bracket. As of now, you could almost argue that met eireann have played it overly cautious with the blanket orange warning.

A thought I have had on this, is that if you look at tabulated data from all the recent storms, only a very exceptional few stations have recorded red warning winds in reality. With most events winds do not exceed yellow, anywhere.

This leads to false equivalence, where people remember a red warning in place for a previous storm. Oh this is way worse than X so why dont we have a red warning. even though the data will show that yellow warning winds may have barely been exceeded during said event. Empirically, this is no doubt a much more severe event than selected previous orange and red warning wind storms. However, these wind storms never met the prescribed criteria which were thought likely at the time of forecast and issuing of the warning.

I would expect a very select few of exposed stations to record orange weather warning winds at the peak of Brendan today. I would also expect that many counties will not exceed yellow warning, or even achieve yellow warning wind speeds. Though I also expect significant number of reports of fallen trees, power outages and roof tiles gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Not sure if the truth is allowed on here, but nothing more than a breeze in Limerick,

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Here too; the sun is trying to emerge!

West Mayo offshore island. just above sea level
    SlowBlowin wrote: »
    We seem to be picking up again a bit here.

600FT ASL - McGillycuddy Reeks - Kerry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,515 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

If workers can make up their own mind to attend then why can't they make up their own mind whether they send their kids to school?

They can. As I've posted above.

An Orange Warning gives you legal freedom to make decisions on work and school after ascertaining local risks. From Met Eireann:

Infrequent and dangerous weather conditions which may pose a threat to life and property.

Prepare yourself in an appropriate way depending on location and activity. All people and property in the affected areas can be significantly impacted.

Check your activity/event and delay or cancel as appropriate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

US2 wrote: »
    Not sure if the truth is allowed on here, but nothing more than a breeze in Limerick,

Not very specific but presumably in the basement of your parents house.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Went up another notch in East Mayo in last 10-15 mins with strong winds and massive downpours of rain.. Followed by calmness and a light drizzle!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Heard rumbles of thunder there out in Ballincollig , cork, seems to have calmed a bit .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

dsmythy wrote: »
    On a red warning it won't no.

A red warning is different and school should close.
    But at the end of the day we are all adults so big enough to make our own call

• Registered Users Posts: 4,851 ✭✭✭endainoz

There is a second set of winds due to hit West coast shortly too folks, don't forget that.

Not as bad as anticipated in North Clare, was woken by the wind around 7am but no trees down this time. The windguru weather station in Clahane didn't go much above gusts 100km, so was just about an orange level.

Will see how the rest of the afternoon goes though, few more hours of this to go yet!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Wind (and rain) has ramped up in Dublin 16 in the last 30 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Beaufort strong breeze?

"Am on a medium sized fishing trawler just off the NW Coast. Winds very heavy, seas high. We fisherman learn the way of these type of things, it’s just part of life. Hunkering down now. Plenty of food. Only strange thing is the rats are acting odd. Disconcerting"

Sounds like the rats are about to abandon ship:p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,941 ✭✭✭circadian

And not one would show some brains and get out and throw it over the fence. Gotta wait for someone else to do it.

Aye grand sure. Stop in the middle of a motorway to lift a heavy glorified umbrella in high winds. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭CirrusBusiness

Big ramp in gusts north of Carlow. Trees are dancing. Lashing rain. Called my staff in out of it earlier. Tomorrow is another day. Not worth taking risks out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,740 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Still raining in cork city but the wind has died down a bit although still strong gusts but nothing like it was.

endainoz wrote: »
    There is a second set of winds due to hit West coast shortly too folks, don't forget that.

Not as bad as anticipated in North Clare, was woken by the wind around 7am but no trees down this time. The windguru weather station in Clahane didn't go much above gusts 100km, so was just about an orange level.

Will see how the rest of the afternoon goes though, few more hours of this to go yet!

>110 and <130 is orange. So windspeeds recorded in Clahane probably just tipping yellow and not orange

Torrential rain now . Clearance isn't far away now.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kopfan77

Having a laugh - I'm in Ballysimon and the wind and rain in the past hour was biblical! So where bouts are you that you only have a "breeze"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

mikep wrote: »
    Flash of lightning just now in Fermoy..

Heaviest rain I've seen in years just hit..

I expect squall line is overhead!!!

I'd say you were 100% right about that :)

JD3IG9P.png

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

"Am on a medium sized fishing trawler just off the NW Coast. Winds very heavy, seas high. We fisherman learn the way of these type of things, it’s just part of life. Hunkering down now. Plenty of food. Only strange thing is the rats are acting odd. Disconcerting"

Sounds like the rats are about to abandon ship:p

Stay safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

All calm now in Castlebar for the last half an hour but roll on round two later in the afternoon, a max gust of 106 km/hr and 14mm of rain in so far.

My count so far of official weather stations recording orange and above level gusts

Belmullet
    Roches Point - tipped red
    Sherkin

Please let me know if there are others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

kopfan77 wrote: »
    Having a laugh - I'm in Ballysimon and the wind and rain in the past hour was biblical! So where bouts are you that you only have a "breeze"

The rain was mad alright, nothing noteworthy about the wind. Not too far from raheen.

Advertisement