Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meghan & Harry: WE QUIT

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,066 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/jan/09/prince-harry-meghan-two-most-spoiled-brats-in-history-pundits-provoked-by-royal-rupture

The guardian have a roundup of the uk tabloid response to their announcement, its pretty funny/sad/crazy/insane to see some of the op-ed pieces pieces, amd the outright bitterness, hatred and quasi-racism on show. DM had the first 17(!!!) pages devoted to them today!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,470 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Sardonicat wrote: »
    It's disgusting.

Barring fast fashion, the cost for a lot of these items is often due the to the rarity of the materials, and the time and craftsmanship involved in it's creation, often running to years of someone's life (or spread across multiple people). Some of these items only exist to be admired so the artist can break even on what they sell it for, if a patron was unwilling to pay these amounts for the items, than the artists wouldn't create them, and be doing something much more mundane with their lives (maybe making hospital beds..., which we should all be doing apparently).

Now, some can effectively trick others into thinking something is worth more than the sum of it's parts and effort to put them together, and in that case, you're paying the excessive amounts for a trick of the mind (e.g. a banana worth $120,000 because no one else had done it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭matthewmurdock

They've basically kept everything but the job responsibilities. After they spent millions of taxpayers money funding a wedding and a house already.

Pretty obvious Meghan is calling the shots here. She wanted to be a princess but now doesn't like it so much. Shes separated him from his family, won't be too long before she gets bored of a prince who she has turned into a frog.

Divorce within 5 years, guaranteed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I love the way its all her fault, like he a little child with no choices or responsibilities.

Fair play to them I say, wouldn't really blame them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

MikeSoys wrote: »
    cant see how they will be financially independent without cutting back .. ummm how long will it last?

They are cutting back - they are giving up 5% of their taxpayer funded income. Coupled with their personal millions its really going to be tough for them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,314 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I love the way its all her fault, like he a little child with no choices or responsibilities.

Fair play to them I say, wouldn't really blame them.

Yeah people are forgetting he completely cleaned up his act and became a pretty solid guy before he started going out with Meghan. And since they've been married she (his wife) has been relentlessly tormented and lied about in the media (most of which was demonstrably false or exaggerated). Not to mention he's so much further down the line of succession that a nuclear attack on Buckingham Palace on the Queen's birthday might not even be enough to see him on the throne, and that he has no huge reason to stay as a full member of the Royal Family and instead can do as much charitable work or anything else he wants by stepping anyway, while still ultimately retaining being Prince Harry...

I can't see why he wouldn't have made the choice he has. Why should he, his wife and child have to put up with any of that sh*t if they don't have to?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Thatsthejob

I logged on here just to see how big the discussion was and I amazed to see so many presumably Irish people bothered about Royals from a foreign country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I logged on here just to see how big the discussion was and I amazed to see so many presumably Irish people bothered about Royals from a foreign country.

Why did you need to log in to do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

That's right, they're foreign, so foreign that they inhabit 1/5th of this island, plus the neighbouring island, so foreign that we speak their language, so foreign that we are addicted to their TV, so foreign because they're so so far away . . . .;)

I could go on.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Even cnn are giving alerts about this. It seems like it was a solo run by Harry and Meghan and the mood inside buck house is “disappointment”
    I find it interesting that the queen is 'disappointed' about Harry and Meghan going off to do their own thing, but hasn't said anything of the sort about Andrew hanging around and staying with a convicted paedophile

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭puppieperson1

Silly cnut all she had to do was put on a tweed jacket ride a couple of ponies occasionally with the queen host a few shooting parties and feign interest in country pursuits like all the royals have for centuries. instead she did yoga and was boring and bored she did not fit in and never would.

I m glad they are off and after landing a movie she will cheat on the ginger who will be at home minding the kid and then divorce. He is a fool to turn his back on his hertiage and history for trailer trash which, if you see her family, she obviously is. Edward & simpson lived a lonely pointless life in France and hopefully they will too in the US the celebs will soon dissipate when the royal link is severed.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,294 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Silly cnut all she had to do was put on a tweed jacket ride a couple of ponies occasionally with the queen host a few shooting parties and feign interest in country pursuits like all the royals have for centuries. instead she did yoga and was boring and bored she did not fit in and never would.

I m glad they are off and after landing a movie she will cheat on the ginger who will be at home minding the kid and then divorce. He is a fool to turn his back on his hertiage and history for trailer trash which, if you see her family, she obviously is. Edward & simpson lived a lonely pointless life in France and hopefully they will too in the US the celebs will soon dissipate when the royal link is severed.

well who is a jealous one...

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Thatsthejob

So are you saying we are now all British?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,315 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

just another publicity stunt you cant beleive anything in celebrity circles says

they trademark royal sussex several months ago yet the decision was only made in the last 6 weeks yeh right

they claim to be all environmental yet they are going to jet back and forth across the atlantic several times a year

what a load of tosh

just giving the newspapers something else as without publicity they arent anything (apart from leeches on the british taxpayer)

They've basically kept everything but the job responsibilities. After they spent millions of taxpayers money funding a wedding and a house already.

Pretty obvious Meghan is calling the shots here. She wanted to be a princess but now doesn't like it so much. Shes separated him from his family, won't be too long before she gets bored of a prince who she has turned into a frog.

Divorce within 5 years, guaranteed.

There’s an incredible naivety if they think they can have their cake and it eat. Being a UK royal comes with responsibilities and respect for the UK people- you can lose that respect as Andy has found to his great cost- the British public will not like Harry and Meg’s. cherry picking. As Piers Morgan said today, if it’s wannabe Kardashians they want to be, its wannabe Kardashians we'll treat them as, or words to that affect. If they think they’ve been treated badly by the media to date, they ain’t seen nothing yet- being UK Royal comes with some protection from the media, not much but there are still some boundaries- they’ve just been removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

moritz1234 wrote: »
    Meghan has been a target of the British press because she is:

1.Black
    2.American
    3.A Woman

They will now crucify her!

As Adrian Dunbars character in Line of Duty , a Northern Irish catholic policeman in the London Met said'' There's nobody as black as I am "

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Half a million pounds spent on her maternity wardrobe alone the f*cking parasite, and your man’s claim to fame is launching missiles at people as part of some imperialist invasion.

Guillotine for them and the rest of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,233 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I don't particularly like Harry, but he's dead fúcking right. Anyone who's upset or annoyed at his decision are the people who deserve to be upset and annoyed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Is she? Her father is trashy but I don’t see what’s wrong with her mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭LordBasil

Fair play to them. I think Harry saw how irrelevant Royal Siblings (Margaret, Anne, Andrew, Edward etc.) can become so doesn't want that to happen to him. All the stress and stinging criticism from the right wing UK tabloids has taking it's toll and he wants a more tranquil, peaceful life for his family, especially after what happened to his beloved mother.

Diana was closer to Harry than Charles ever was. Her death hit both William and Harry hard but I think Harry, not being the heir, needed her more. I have to laugh at the reaction by the gutter press. They've criticised and picked the couple apart but now Harry and Meghan are 'Quitting', the papers are insensed. Who will they write about now, Stepford Kate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭moritz1234

This won't end well, the British Press will have their blood.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,299 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

moritz1234 wrote: »
    This won't end well, the British Press will have their blood.

I'd say it will be worse than ever now for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

FTA69 wrote: »
    Half a million pounds spent on her maternity wardrobe alone the f*cking parasite, and your man’s claim to fame is launching missiles at people as part of some imperialist invasion.

Guillotine for them and the rest of them.

That's hardly fair, she was extremely wealthy and succesful long before she met & married Harry. She has plenty of her own money, she didn't need his.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

I'm curious, does any other European nation with a monarchy lose the plot on the regular with their monarchy like the Sasanachs? I suspect it is a peculiar British disposition.

Can't see the Dutch or Norwegians getting this worked up about some toff flouncing off to Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

He might get a job flying helicopters into the Grand Canyon.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Queen_and_I_(novel)

Here is a handy guide for them on what to expect...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

He is a fool to turn his back on his hertiage and history for trailer trash which, if you see her family, she obviously is.
    I'm stunned to see so many people on an Irish forum, get clearly angry about this and harping on about tradition, heritage and "royalness".

Who'd have thought there were so many Irish people personally invested in the British monarchy that they'd get angry about any perceived slight against the institution?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Harry gets 95% of his income from his father. 5% is direct taxpayer money.

That said spending millions on their 'cottage' and all the hullabaloo over the wedding etc, they have really worked the system IF Charles continues to fund him and IF the Queen agrees they can keep the 'cottage'.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,112 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

seamus wrote: »
    I'm stunned to see so many people on an Irish forum, get clearly angry about this and harping on about tradition, heritage and "royalness".

Who'd have thought there were so many Irish people personally invested in the British monarchy that they'd get angry about any perceived slight against the institution?

Wisht! It's hilarious to read them, nearly as funny as reading the British conniptions! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I'm amazed how angry everyone is about it, does it matter....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement