Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meghan & Harry: WE QUIT

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,314 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'd say it will be worse than ever now for them!

They can now pick and choose what media gets invited to whatever events etc they hold, so even though some media outlets will continue to write negative stories about them (as they have been doing regardless), Harry & Meghan can at least now make sure they're not part of the press invited to the events.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭pm9999

https://theulsterfry.com/featured/harry-and-meghan-to-step-back-from-royal-duties-and-move-to-ballywalter/

Apparently, Greta Thunberg has persuaded them to drop the North American dimension to boost their green credentials. Stena out of Belfast then a motorway slog from Liverpool has a much lower carbon footprint for those inevitable trips back to Buck Palace to borrow the family credit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,120 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Yurt! wrote: »
    I'm curious, does any other European nation with a monarchy lose the plot on the regular with their monarchy like the Sasanachs? I suspect it is a peculiar British disposition.

Can't see the Dutch or Norwegians getting this worked up about some toff flouncing off to Canada.

The British monarchy has much more power and prestige than the European monarchies. As recently as the early 1700s, the king or queen was the actual head of the government and military and answerable to nobody.

Power has shifted of course, but even the country's name today (United Kingdom) refers to the monarch.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

FTA69 wrote: »
    Half a million pounds spent on her maternity wardrobe alone the f*cking parasite, and your man’s claim to fame is launching missiles at people as part of some imperialist invasion.

Guillotine for them and the rest of them.

I love Frankie Boyles take on the Afghanistan war

"We went over there to teach them the value of democracy and peace....and apparently the best way to teach people about democracy and peace is to have a prince shoot at them from a helicopter":D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

I'm amazed how angry everyone is about it, does it matter....

Exactly, we almost had WW3 this week and this is what people freak out over, no wonder the world is in the state its in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

seamus wrote: »
    I'm stunned to see so many people on an Irish forum, get clearly angry about this and harping on about tradition, heritage and "royalness".

Who'd have thought there were so many Irish people personally invested in the British monarchy that they'd get angry about any perceived slight against the institution?

Too much consumption of British media. People forget how unpopular the royals were in the early to mid-90s. A serious PR program was put in place to rehabilitate the family reaching a crescendo in 2012 with the diamond jubilee and the Olympics.

It more or less worked, the tans went back to loving the monarchy but they're not quite sure why and mysteriously forgot the contempt they were held in by large parts of the population just under two decades previously. Many Irish got dazzled in the process.

I remember when the Queen came to visit, they same palaver was wheeled out "she'll be great for tourism!" Pat Kenny told us on the radio - parroting what is told to the British public when they question the value of the institution.

moritz1234 wrote: »
    Meghan has been a target of the British press because she is:

1.Black
    2.American
    3.A Woman

They will now crucify her!

She has been a target of the British press because she married into the royal family.

Bringing race, nationality and sex into it is absolute horse****

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

They probably wouldn't have liked if he married a white english man either:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Yurt! wrote: »
    It more or less worked, the tans went back to loving the monarchy but they're not quite sure why and mysteriously forgot the contempt they were held in by large parts of the population just under two decades previously. Many Irish got dazzled in the process.

Wrong thread :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

If this was the start of the demise of this outdated institution it would be good. I know many Canadians and Australians who would wish to have their own as head of state, and yet they still have this English family as their head of state.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

Good luck to them both.

have a sneaking suspicion this marriage won’t last, but it is their life. Let them get on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Merkle has been a disaster for the Royals(not that I care). If she wants to go and ''Find herself'' then get a divorce. Poor Harry won't last 10 minutes in civilian life.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Strazdas wrote: »
    The British monarchy has much more power and prestige than the European monarchies. As recently as the early 1700s, the king or queen was the actual head of the government and military and answerable to nobody.

Power has shifted of course, but even the country's name today (United Kingdom) refers to the monarch.

Kingdom of the Netherlands, Kingdom of Denmark etc. Absolutism lasted for longer on the continent also.

I've a theory: the British are seriously soft in the head when it comes to their monarchy and have been conditioned to be as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

This is sad news for all of us on the British Isles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Any chance they want to get away from the rest of their family due to their covering up and protection of the dodgy uncle? Probably more to come from that story and they want to be as far away from it when sh1t hits fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,299 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Penn wrote: »
    They can now pick and choose what media gets invited to whatever events etc they hold, so even though some media outlets will continue to write negative stories about them (as they have been doing regardless), Harry & Meghan can at least now make sure they're not part of the press invited to the events.

What I meant was the press will not hold back now at all.
    Is there many news outlets that like here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Couldn't give a rats where they go or what they do but it has made for some great headlines. Both from The Mirror so I can't be sure its not satire.

Kate Middleton's birthday overshadowed by Megxit as William 'incandescent with rage'

Birthday girl Kate Middleton snapped looking deep in thought after Megxit bombshell

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

There are questions about their stepping down, what income will they be forgoing and about the abuse of their titles for commercial purposes but they are not dancing bears who need to perform whenever British tabloids crack their whip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

She has been a target of the British press because she married into the royal family.

Bringing race, nationality and sex into it is absolute horse****
    I see more people claiming it's racism than actual racist comments. The press don't hate her because she's black or American, it's because she is extremely confidant and wants to do her own thing. She should have been doudy and mousey like Kate and stayed in the background.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Couldn't give a rats where they go or what they do but it has made for some great headlines. Both from The Mirror so I can't be sure its not satire.

Kate Middleton's birthday overshadowed by Megxit as William 'incandescent with rage'

Birthday girl Kate Middleton snapped looking deep in thought after Megxit bombshell
    I don't get why they keep calling her Kate Middleton. They've been married for nearly ten years and she's going to be the queen consort.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Harry’s Dad, James Hewitt will be Livid .

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    I see more people claiming it's racism than actual racist comments. The press don't hate her because she's black or American, it's because she is extremely confidant and wants to do her own thing. She should have been doudy and mousey like Kate and stayed in the background.

It isn't really that either in my opinion.

Anyone who puts themselves in the spotlight will have the light shone on them. the fact that this woman already had a public profile and a public falling out with her family was always going to result in a higher level of scrutiny.

People are falling all over themselves to make it a racial scandal where there is none, which in itself is quite racist albeit in a backwards way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Zebra3 wrote: »
    So Philip banged Diana as well???!! :eek:
    He was used to putting a rod up Charlie's back . Probably considered it part of his Royal Duties .:p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

It isn't really that either in my opinion.

Anyone who puts themselves in the spotlight will have the light shone on them. the fact that this woman already had a public profile and a public falling out with her family was always going to result in a higher level of scrutiny.

People are falling all over themselves to make it a racial scandal where there is none, which in itself is quite racist albeit in a backwards way.

It's not her race but Britain is the most segregated society in Europe for a reason. It's not racism it's their class snobbery. Despite having her own sucessful career, she was always treated like over entitled trailer trash who forgot her place in society.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

SusieBlue wrote: »
    That's hardly fair, she was extremely wealthy and succesful long before she met & married Harry. She has plenty of her own money, she didn't need his.

And was she spending her own money on her private jet trips across the world and her own half a million on clothes?

No, she was spending our f*cking taxes and someone who lives a life of luxury off public money is a parasite by definition.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,299 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

From my royal correspondent.
    The wax work of Megan and Harry have being seperated from the royal family at Madame Tussauds.
    The queen had no picture of them on her table during her speech.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,563 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

SusieBlue wrote: »
    That's hardly fair, she was extremely wealthy and succesful long before she met & married Harry. She has plenty of her own money, she didn't need his.

Don't expect a fair response from a rabid nationalist on anything related to the royal family. Also not surprised at the typical misogynistic tripe about her being the big bad manipulative woman dragging poor impressionable Harry away from his friends and family. It's easy to see who the Sun and Mail readers are on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,907 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Good day(s) to bury bad news. Wonder what that was....

Probably Von der Leyen telling Johnson to get his act together or something and forget about blaming the EU for all your mishaps and incompetence.

Or Something Else?

I find it amusing from the sidelines to see the frenzy in the UK tabloids. But be careful now, they actually run the UK after all. As we can see.

Great laugh altogether. As if anyone will care in a few days anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

Their new website explains quite a lot - here's the bit about the change to their media

https://sussexroyal.com/media/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Don't expect a fair response from a rabid nationalist on anything related to the royal family. Also not surprised at the typical misogynistic tripe about her being the big bad manipulative woman dragging poor impressionable Harry away from his friends and family. It's easy to see who the Sun and Mail readers are on this thread.

I’m not a “rabid nationalist” I’m a republican who doesn’t believe in an outdated anti-democratic monarchy rooted in wealth and privilege. The fact these pair of twats and their wider family of racists and nonces are creaming millions for happening to be born into the Saxbourg-Cotha-Windsor-Whateveethef*ck family is outrageous. I see real poverty every day in people working 60 hours a week, Ive no sympathy for pampered millionaires ‘splitting their time between Britain and the USA’.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement