Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Operation Transformation 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,582 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Lorraine is lazy, her effort levels are minimal.

I'd say she never stops with that child of hers!

Tanya is doing well.
    Fair play, the difference is very obvious in how she looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,274 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Tanya looks amazing.

Jesus if it's not heavy flow one week it's about the coil the next...TMI

The daughters face lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

KT looks like a teletubby on those closeups tonight.

gmisk wrote: »
    Tanya looks amazing.

Jesus if it's not heavy flow one week it's about the coil the next...TMI

The daughters face lol

TMI is right! Esp about her partner's role in the coil displacement.

• Advertisement

The camera seemed to hone in on Tanya's daughter eating the crisps, anyone else see that?

Naggdefy wrote: »
    TMI is right! Esp about her partner's role in the coil displacement.
    Far too much TMI on that.

But worth it to see the daughters reaction!!! Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 17,767 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Nobody seems to be losing weight and I think it's because the targets are so low. Probably thinking its easy and not putting in the effort.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Nobody seems to be losing weight and I think it's because the targets are so low. Probably thinking its easy and not putting in the effort.

Yes. Never remember a series where so many missed targets and over a number of weeks too.

Barry lost enough for everyone!

• Advertisement

Well one guy was putting in the effort! 11 pounds wow

Serious power in Barry. When you see his quads, they're as big as many men's bodies.

He had over 16st of muscle at the start of the series. No one in the Irish pack, Inc Tadhg Furlong has 16st of muscle. He's 19 stone but he hasn't 16st of muscle. You'd be looking at a Polynesian for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,767 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Yeah you could tell that from the few clips shown, boxing is fantastic for fitness.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Had to be speeding.. Tyres maybe not the best?

Great driver too 🚗

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Birdsong

Love Barry and Andrea, such a lovely couple with a great attitude. No excuses for anything ever. I think Shane is a new man, great to see.

Yeah you could tell that from the few clips shown, boxing is fantastic for fitness.

He's probably on a 5000kcal/day deficit..... Huge muscle mass and an intake of 3000kcals and the fat will be gobbled up by the body as fuel.

Birdsong wrote: »
    Love Barry and Andrea, such a lovely couple with a great attitude. No excuses for anything ever. I think Shane is a new man, great to see.

Thanks to Eddie I think. He put in serious time with him.

Karl has an easy job. Just giving examples of how to workout. He gets a bit of exercise in for himself too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

I was disappointed with Lorraine's loss this week. It has been very low overall. Something doesn't add up. She's such a lovely, bright, bubbly person. I'd like her to do better for her own sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭harr

happyday wrote: »
    I was disappointed with Lorraine's loss this week. It has been very low overall. Something doesn't add up. She's such a lovely, bright, bubbly person. I'd like her to do better for her own sake.
    She must snacking or picking at food without even realising it ... something doesn’t add up. Any substantial calorie deficit should have her weight dropping even without to much exercise.
    I agree about the targets are to low and some thinking they don’t have or put in as much effort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

harr wrote: »
    She must snacking or picking at food without even realising it ... something doesn’t add up. Any substantial calorie deficit should have her weight dropping even without to much exercise.
    I agree about the targets are to low and some thinking they don’t have or put in as much effort.

All health experts agree that losing 1-2lb/wk is safe sustainable weight loss. They don’t want to promote/encourage bigger losses because it sets people up to fail. It doesn’t make for great TV sometimes though

I went from 105kg to 87kg ish in 6 months losing 1.5 lbs/week. Definitely wouldn't have been great TV. I always trained so just incorporated a 700/800kcal/day deficit into my eating and off I went.

OT is a mad program, they've a lad with 16 stone muscle mass walking etc to get his steps in, get him on a weights program with way less steps........ his knees are dodgy and he suffers from shinsplints ........ it's almost abuse what they are doing to the chap.

Augeo wrote: »
    I went from 105kg to 87kg ish in 6 months losing 1.5 lbs/week. Definitely wouldn't have been great TV. I always trained so just incorporated a 700/800kcal/day deficit into my eating and off I went.

OT is a mad program, they've a lad with 16 stone muscle mass walking etc to get his steps in, get him on a weights program with way less steps........ his knees are dodgy and he suffers from shinsplints ........ it's almost abuse what they are doing to the chap.

Agree with all this , even the gym work he is doing will cripple him . He is a very big man and this knees are feeling that pressure.
    He likes to push himself and probably is stubborn which isn’t necessarily a bad thing but the likes of swimming might suit him better and I am surprised none of them are swimming ( if they can )
    He is walking 15000 steps a day that’s about 10km and now saying he can do the 5k even after getting the diagnosis of dodgy knees.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,617 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Augeo wrote: »

I always wonder why jogging seems to be the prescribed exercise for all the contestants. Running isnt for everyone and if someone is obese they're going to find running very hard on the joints and on the lungs. Plus some people (myself included) just dont get any enjoyment from running.

Ive had to lose weight before and theres no way I could have done it running. For me cycling was the way to go and I ended up finding it quite addictive as my spins went from 10k at the beginning and eventually up to 50-60kms. The constantly changing scenery when you go for long cycles keeps you engaged and Id often go even further than I had planned. Swimming is another good exercise for obese people so long as you time your laps and keep the pace up.

I know running is seen as the bast calorie burner of all exercises but if you hate something you're not likely to stick with it for long. Which is why I wonder why does Karl Henry seem to think that running is a good fit for every single contestant.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Coly5

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I always wonder why jogging seems to be the prescribed exercise for all the contestants. Running isnt for everyone and if someone is obese they're going to find running very hard on the joints and on the lungs. Plus some people (myself included) just dont get any enjoyment from running.

Ive had to lose weight before and theres no way I could have done it running. For me cycling was the way to go and I ended up finding it quite addictive as my spins went from 10k at the beginning and eventually up to 50-60kms. The constantly changing scenery when you go for long cycles keeps you engaged and Id often go even further than I had planned. Swimming is another good exercise for obese people so long as you time your laps and keep the pace up.

I know running is seen as the bast calorie burner of all exercises but if you hate something you're not likely to stick with it for long. Which is why I wonder why does Karl Henry seem to think that running is a good fit for every single contestant.

Karl is a runner, and judging from his podcast / tv appearances his clientele are typically sedentary middle age folk who can afford to outsource their (lack of) fitness to someone who takes them for a ride! There are so many more and better quality trainers out there - Dominic munnelly for one, but not sure this short termism - 8 week lose weight - thing would be his gig unfortunately!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

In the past... the exercise plan was intended so that everyone could do it without having to spend money etc.. I assume this is why it is all walking/running and body weight stuff. They gave out to some guy one year for going to the gym.

Now tho... it seems to be a do what you want... gym, boxing etc..

I still find it hard to believe of all the people that applied these are the best five "leaders" they could find... none of them (apart from the big guy) seem to give a ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

mloc123 wrote: »
    In the past... the exercise plan was intended so that everyone could do it without having to spend money etc.. I assume this is why it is all walking/running and body weight stuff. They gave out to some guy one year for going to the gym.

Now tho... it seems to be a do what you want... gym, boxing etc..

I still find it hard to believe of all the people that applied these are the best five "leaders" they could find... none of them (apart from the big guy) seem to give a ****.

But the thing with getting out walking, jogging or following Karl's videos is that it requires a lot more motivation IMO when the cameras stop rolling. If you've signed up to a gym, a fitness class, a couch to 5k group etc - there is more chance that you will stick at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

harr wrote: »
    Agree with all this , even the gym work he is doing will cripple him . He is a very big man and this knees are feeling that pressure.
    He likes to push himself and probably is stubborn which isn’t necessarily a bad thing but the likes of swimming might suit him better and I am surprised none of them are swimming ( if they can )
    He is walking 15000 steps a day that’s about 10km and now saying he can do the 5k even after getting the diagnosis of dodgy knees.

Yes I'm surprised they didn't suggest swimming for him. He's still a big guy, both his height and his weight are having a affect on his knees. Swapping out one of his exercise slots for swimming might alleviate some of the pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    But the thing with getting out walking, jogging or following Karl's videos is that it requires a lot more motivation IMO when the cameras stop rolling. If you've signed up to a gym, a fitness class, a couch to 5k group etc - there is more chance that you will stick at it.

Motivation is key here.... if people cannot motivate themselves, they will never succeed. 5-6 weeks in and they all need hand holding to get out and do 30mins of exercise a day

• Advertisement

mloc123 wrote: »
    Motivation is key here.... if people cannot motivate themselves, they will never succeed. 5-6 weeks in and they all need hand holding to get out and do 30mins of exercise a day
    Exactly and the exercise wouldn’t have to be that vigorous... a fast paced walk for 30 minutes would be enough for most of them. Get up half an hour earlier and get it done. I go to gym 4 times a week but also walk everyday , I only stared walking a few months back and It’s a great way of getting fresh air and clearing the mind.

Advertisement