Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Operation Transformation 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

mloc123 wrote: »
    Motivation is key here.... if people cannot motivate themselves, they will never succeed. 5-6 weeks in and they all need hand holding to get out and do 30mins of exercise a day

Oh you’re right! Those on OT are exercising because they’ve been told to, it’s on “the plan” , not necessarily because they want to. When the cameras stop rolling they will find it difficult to keep up the exercise if it’s something they haven’t chosen themselves to do.
    I enjoying running. But there are days when I procrastinate and it takes me an hour to find the motivation to put on my trainers and others when I really can’t be ar$ed.

But I think it is important to get the point across that exercise is important, and to find something you enjoy, that interests you and that you will stick with.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,617 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

mloc123 wrote: »
    In the past... the exercise plan was intended so that everyone could do it without having to spend money etc.. I assume this is why it is all walking/running and body weight stuff. They gave out to some guy one year for going to the gym.

Now tho... it seems to be a do what you want... gym, boxing etc..

Yeah I understand the not spending money thing and they probably stick with jogging/walking because people at home watching can easily start with that. But just in the last few episodes I get the impression that some of them (and Lorraine in particular) hate jogging and wonder why Karl wouldnt introduce her to cycling or swimming or at least make some attempt to find her an exercise that she enjoys and will keep up after the show is over.

I still find it hard to believe of all the people that applied these are the best five "leaders" they could find... none of them (apart from the big guy) seem to give a ****.

Thats a fair point, you dont get any sense of leadership from most of this years contestants. Id say a few of them are dying for the cameras to get the hell out of their homes and off their cases!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Barry to win!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Muahahaha wrote: »
    But just in the last few episodes I get the impression that some of them (and Lorraine in particular) hate jogging

I get the impression she hates any type of exercise, no idea why she is on the show

• Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Can we sign these contestants up to ultimate hell week?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭harr

Shouty Mc shout face is so annoying... ( AKA Kathryn Thomas )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

harr wrote: »

Just about to post the same, makes me want to punch the TV

That previous contestant is unrecognisable, fair play to her

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭ax530

The week they not following plan all doing so well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Shane's come a long way.

With proper training he can get rid of the tummy that's bothering him. At 29 there should be no problem.

ax530 wrote: »
    The week they not following plan all doing so well

A lag effect no doubt ;)

• Advertisement

Just watching it on a delay now and that scream during Lorraines weigh in, like WTF?! There was silence and then Kathryn just decided to try to scream the building down. She really is a one trick pony.

Fair play to Lorraine for making weight this week, had thought she might miss it again.

Previous contentant losing a stone and a bit on the show and then a further 4 stone after it was over was great going. She looks great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Shouting Thomas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Just watching it on a delay now and that scream during Lorraines weigh in, like WTF?! There was silence and then Kathryn just decided to try to scream the building down. She really is a one trick pony.

Fair play to Lorraine for making weight this week, had thought she might miss it again.

Previous contentant losing a stone and a bit on the show and then a further 4 stone after it was over was great going. She looks great.

She still looks wide around the middle to be after losing that much weight, unless she was carrying a lot of extra weight when doing the show.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Naggdefy wrote: »
    Shane's come a long way.

With proper training he can get rid of the tummy that's bothering him. At 29 there should be no problem.

He looks great and it's lovely to see his confidence returning. His little girls singing with him is one of the cutest things ever.

The leader from two years ago is a changed woman. Great to see such a success story.

It's easy to sit back and criticise, IMO. I could not do what they are doing so I have great admiration for each and every one of them, and am glad to see them all doing so well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭its_steve116

My money is still on Barry.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,827 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Yeah I understand the not spending money thing and they probably stick with jogging/walking because people at home watching can easily start with that. But just in the last few episodes I get the impression that some of them (and Lorraine in particular) hate jogging and wonder why Karl wouldnt introduce her to cycling or swimming or at least make some attempt to find her an exercise that she enjoys and will keep up after the show is over.

they did do some cycling last year IIRC, along a greenway.

The start up costs for cycling are significant though. And as much I love cycling myself, I don't think it's as intense a workout as running (unless you were doing a spinning class maybe). As for swimming, many of the contestants may not be strong swimmers - anyone can run.

loyatemu wrote: »
    ....... anyone can run.

It's awful when you are heavy ........ I used do 30 mins 5kms at 17 stone, was a terrible 30 mins.

At least half of this years crowd are told to walk the 5km, so it's illustrating that many can't actually run to be fair.

fair enough, maybe "anyone can walk briskly" would have been more accurate. I suppose they could get a bike shop to sponsor the show and provide some wheels, but it's still something that would exclude people following at home to a greater degree than walking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

fair enough, maybe "anyone can walk briskly" would have been more accurate. I suppose they could get a bike shop to sponsor the show and provide some wheels, but it's still something that would exclude people following at home to a greater degree than walking.

I'd say there's a few people with bikes in the shed gathering dust after they availed of the bike to work scheme, thinking they were going to save a fortune in tax.
    The greenways are fantastic for cycling but sadly a lot of our roads and towns just aren't suitable or safe for recreational cycling.
    There was actually a good program about cycling in Ireland on RTE last year, I think Simon Delaney was the presenter.

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    The greenways are fantastic for cycling but sadly a lot of our roads and towns just aren't suitable or safe for recreational cycling.

this is true and RTE may not want to encourage a load of inexperienced cyclists out onto the roads in the dead of winter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Come on... If people are too lazy to get out and walk at a decent pace for 30mins a day... They are no more gonna get out and cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Icsics

I have to mute KT when the shrieking starts, but it’s the faux over the top hugging & air punching that’s annoying me now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

Augeo wrote: »
    It's awful when you are heavy ........ I used do 30 mins 5kms at 17 stone, was a terrible 30 mins.

At least half of this years crowd are told to walk the 5km, so it's illustrating that many can't actually run to be fair.

I missed that bit. When did they say who should run and who should walk - apart from injuries?

they did do some cycling last year IIRC, along a greenway.

The start up costs for cycling are significant though. And as much I love cycling myself, I don't think it's as intense a workout as running (unless you were doing a spinning class maybe). As for swimming, many of the contestants may not be strong swimmers - anyone can run.

I wouldnt say cycling costs are prohibitive though, my first bike was 150 off Adverts, sold it for the same 150 6 months later and upgraded spending another 250 for a 2nd hand road bike which I still have and use. Lots of people would spend 600+ on a gym membership and barely use it.

Agree that cycling is not as good a calorie burner as running but as Augeo said when you're very over weight and carrying all that extra fat running can feel like hell. Being overweight makes it feel so much harder. With cycling your body is supported by the bike and it is just a matter of keeping the pedals turning at a good pace. After 2 or 3 weeks your legs build up a lot of strength and once you have that it doesnt matter how fat you are, the weight just falls off. A lot less potential for injuries too from cycling over running.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Deminiman

Noticed last week the men were looking scruffy, they must be told to stop shaving before the fashion show final to emphasise the transformation.. every year they do this on the second last episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭robinbird

Deminiman wrote: »
    Noticed last week the men were looking scruffy, they must be told to stop shaving before the fashion show final to emphasise the transformation.. every year they do this on the second last episode.

They should do it the other way around. Have them strategically dressed by fashion experts at the beginning of the series and too tight lycra for the catwalk.

The big man 'it's so exciting, it's carnival Dublin style'

FFS it's only a 5k in the Phoenix Park. A 5k, the easiest possible race.

This is annoying me tonight, the emotion for ambling through a 3 mile race.

3 miles in 40min for one lady. You'd walk faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Icsics

Naggdefy wrote: »
    This is annoying me tonight, the emotion for ambling through a 3 mile race.

3 miles in 40min for one lady. You'd walk faster.

The music was ott & KT is obnoxious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Shane looks absolutely brilliant

Advertisement