Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marian Finucane RIP Mod warning #46

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Edgware wrote: »
    I will always remember her for the car crash interview with Joe Jacob. That reminds me I must renew my iodine tablets. Never know when they'll be needed

They replayed it on Morning Ireland this morning.About a year ago I was tidying presses in my house and came across the infamous iodine tablets.Let's say they were "slightly" past their expiry date.
    Marian had the skill to get the best and worst out of the people she interviewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Another icon of Irish broadcasting gone......bad start to 2020.....
    R.I.P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

She was a brilliant broadcaster. May she rest in peace

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Any word on the cause of death?

The Nal wrote: »

Not heard....but i found the Mirror front page a bit insensitive. ...but typical..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Not heard....but i found the Mirror front page a bit insensitive. ...but typical..

Unfortunately people still buy those rag newspapers or read them online.They wouldn't exist if that stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

The Nal wrote: »

Died in her sleep

Unfortunately people still buy those rag newspapers or read them online.They wouldn't exist if that stopped.

Last off topic comment but, I'm pretty sure 99% of their readers.."Marian who....".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

One stand out was that interview with Joe Jacob.

In fact it has prompted me to check our supply of iodine tablets.
    Decades out of date :rolleyes: Bin time.

Has anything changed since that interview ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭serfboard

Died in her sleep
    Someone from RTE was on the Sean O'Rourke programme this morning and said that she had been away in India and was due to come back to work this weekend. They called her yesterday to go through the running order with her, and there was no answer from her mobile phone. They called her back, and her husband answered the phone to say that she had died in her sleep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭noel50

enjoyed the weekend show a lady of her time a fine interviewer and person RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,138 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

robinbird wrote: »
    Have heard "sudden and unexpected" used as an euphemism before. But perhaps better not to speculate, probably incorrectly at this time.

She certainly didn't sound well in recent years, really struggled for breath on the airwaves, hence many people speculated as to what might be the cause, not that it matters anymore, as she's now gone :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

serfboard wrote: »
    Someone from RTE was on the Sean O'Rourke programme this morning and said that she had been away in India and was due to come back to work this weekend. They called her yesterday to go through the running order with her, and there was no answer from her mobile phone. They called her back, and her husband answered the phone to say that she had died in her sleep.

Lovely way to go for the deceased, heartbreaking and painfully shocking for the loved ones. A once close friend I’d lost touch with died like this before Christmas aged only 57. Always try to be kind if you can, at all. There may not be an opportunity to make up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Jonny one

Until Marian took over the 11/1 weekend slot in 2005, RTE radio 1 was exclusively a radio station for the over 75s at weekends, Brendan Balfe, Jack O'Brien and Mass used to occupy that slot, She quadrupled weekend listenership instantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,412 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

What’s very clear is that there is there is an awful lot of anger towards RTE from licence fee payers at this very moment. So when one of their lesser working and over paid workers passes then a certain amount of emotion and apathy spills out which is fair enough. So maybe a tribute book of adulation only thread should be set up in this instance to cater for both parties.

I enjoyed her show whilst making breakfast at the weekend. Will I miss her and do I give a sh*t? Not particularly. That’s life, someone far worse off and a lot hard working died a few minutes ago.

Marian herself claimed that her salary was justified because of 'endless hours of research'

Also said her pay rise was due to Today FM calling and had no problem justifying it

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/everyone-thought-i-was-mad-1.630843

From my perspective it was what the market was, because I’d had offers from other stations . . . I always said that Century Radio did me the biggest favour of anybody in the world [by trying to poach her from RTÉ].” Plus several serious offers since, which RTÉ somehow got wind of. “And anyway – why shouldn’t the girls get it if the boys are getting it?

She really fought against peoples incorrect ideas about her hours as she saw it.

“Well, Monday and Tuesday are supposed to be my days off – and I try and do a lot of the Africa work then – but they usually start with a series of emails and texts which start: ‘Sorry to bother you on a Monday but . . .’ I’m on air about the same as I was during the morning show. It’s changed the working time but it hasn’t changed the work. So I work seven days actually. The job is not just walking in, hanging up your hat and presenting a programme. I listen to the radio from 7am until the close of Drivetime. I’m in constant communication with the producer from Wednesday. People think you just go in and present a programme. Look, if I were in the building in RTÉ, I’d be doing the same as I’d be doing at home. Because of email, I can do an awful lot from home. If I were in RTÉ, I’d be chatting to somebody over a cup of coffee.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/marian-finucane-claims-i-get-500k-for-four-hours-a-week-are-baloney-26792619.html

"My radio goes on at seven o'clock in the morning and when I'm finished with Vincent Browne (on TV3 at night) I go on to the international channels. That is all part of what I do. I would think it was funny if it didn't make me cross, but I don't think anybody believes that (I only work four hours) anyway,"

Later then she changed her mind on the Today FM part slightly saying she did not get the pay rise 'particularly' because of Today FM

--

She was a real battler no matter what people think of her, well able to fight her corner and said things off the cuff more than most.

As seen in the times article on her claims of ageism and fight against restraints from female bosses.

--

Yes, I think there was. I think with Eithne Hand – who was head of Radio 1 at the time – that there was.” Hand is clearly not the only culprit in that regard. “I don’t discuss that for reasons of ageism. I work in the most ageist industry in the country.” In any event, she reckons Hand simply didn’t like her.

She wanted meaty discussion and felt constrained by Hand who wanted texting programmes

You couldn’t get stuck into the meaty stuff that I really enjoy. And Eithne didn’t want that anyway. She wanted – as she said – ‘fun and texting’.”

--

It was not just the female bosses in RTE Marian was unafraid of. She was also fairly cutting about Eoghan Harris

“Because then he annoyed me for years. He used to imply that I was a fellow traveller of the IRA, which used to drive me insane. Absolutely unbelievable stuff.”

---

I understand how some people feel there needs to be a reverence for the dead and make sure all comments are respectful and polite = positive and gushing.
    But to quote Marian's turn of phrase which I love - it's baloney.

The woman herself spoke from the hip and had a devil may care nature - (surely the main reason why she was so successful in her start in RTE when she was flying the flag for women in the 70's) Yet everyone now has to say how great she was, because that is the done thing regardless.

I realise some of the comments on this thread are purely vindictive and nasty, but to make the thread the other way - completely one dimensional. Makes it kind of pointless.
    People might as well just copy and past 'RIP'
    Personally I always find that disrespectful, as it is just a mindless regurgitation like a faux online book of condolence. There is no real sincerity to it. And the irony is it is created by those who in the majority of cases only know the famous person - through the famous person's work. It happens with all famous people. It always seems odd to me.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

Jonny one wrote: »
    Until Marian took over the 11/1 weekend slot in 2005, RTE radio 1 was exclusively a radio station for the over 75s at weekends, Brendan Balfe, Jack O'Brien and Mass used to occupy that slot, She quadrupled weekend listenership instantly.

Up until 2005 you had the likes of Ciarán Mac Mathúna with "Mo Cheol Thú" early on Sunday mornings since 1970, not sure if the broadcasting of Sunday Mass had moved off Radio 1 FM to MW/LW although; i think it is still broadcast on RTÉ Radio 1 Longwave 252/RTÉ Radio 1 Extra around 11am.

"The Sunday Show" with Andy O'Mahony used review the Sunday newspapers along with the stories/events of the week which used start at around 11:40am on Sunday mornings. I think I recall Andy O'Mahony interviewing Deirdre Purcell and perhaps Gay Byrne himself on The Late Late Show after her book on the RTÉ broadcaster. Andy is also a writer and used present book review programmes down through the years.

On Saturdays around lunchtime you used have a programme called "Saturday View" with Rodney Rice from 1986 until his retirement in 2009.

Radio 1 also used have a long established programme dedicated to horse racing called Airs & Races on Saturday afternoons presented by Val Joyce. Late on Sunday nights you had the "Gaelic Sports Results" with Seán Óg Ó'Ceallacháin reading out all the GAA results - no other sports results were covered in that segment at the time.

Looking back to 1989 you had Scrap Saturday a political satire programme on Saturdays with Dermot Morgan (Father Ted), Pauline McLynn (Mrs. Doyle) and Gerry Stembridge which ran until 1991 and was hugely popular at the time. Morgan and McLynn would later star in huge successful Channel Four comedy series, "Father Ted" along with Ardal O'Hanlon and Frank Kelly which was originally broadcast between 1995-1998.

Marian Finucane's switch from weekday mornings to Sat/Sun 11am-1:00pm was a game-changer for RTÉ Radio 1 weekend audience ratings to date! Interesting times ahead as she is a very hard act to follow.

Sources:
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2009/1211/125311-macmathuna/
    https://www.rte.ie/archives/exhibitions/681-history-of-rte/708-rte-2000s/327784-rodney-rice-signs-off/
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/the-voice-of-reason-j9m80xn0j
    https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/reshuffle-on-rt%C3%A9-radio-1-1.1015573
    https://www.rte.ie/archives/profiles/oceallachain-sean-og/
    https://www.rte.ie/archives/2016/0127/763382-scrap-saturday/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Marian herself claimed that her salary was justified because of 'endless hours of research'

Also said her pay rise was due to Today FM calling and had no problem justifying it

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/everyone-thought-i-was-mad-1.630843

From my perspective it was what the market was, because I’d had offers from other stations . . . I always said that Century Radio did me the biggest favour of anybody in the world [by trying to poach her from RTÉ].” Plus several serious offers since, which RTÉ somehow got wind of. “And anyway – why shouldn’t the girls get it if the boys are getting it?

She really fought against peoples incorrect ideas about her hours as she saw it.

“Well, Monday and Tuesday are supposed to be my days off – and I try and do a lot of the Africa work then – but they usually start with a series of emails and texts which start: ‘Sorry to bother you on a Monday but . . .’ I’m on air about the same as I was during the morning show. It’s changed the working time but it hasn’t changed the work. So I work seven days actually. The job is not just walking in, hanging up your hat and presenting a programme. I listen to the radio from 7am until the close of Drivetime. I’m in constant communication with the producer from Wednesday. People think you just go in and present a programme. Look, if I were in the building in RTÉ, I’d be doing the same as I’d be doing at home. Because of email, I can do an awful lot from home. If I were in RTÉ, I’d be chatting to somebody over a cup of coffee.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/marian-finucane-claims-i-get-500k-for-four-hours-a-week-are-baloney-26792619.html

"My radio goes on at seven o'clock in the morning and when I'm finished with Vincent Browne (on TV3 at night) I go on to the international channels. That is all part of what I do. I would think it was funny if it didn't make me cross, but I don't think anybody believes that (I only work four hours) anyway,"

Later then she changed her mind on the Today FM part slightly saying she did not get the pay rise 'particularly' because of Today FM

--

She was a real battler no matter what people think of her, well able to fight her corner and said things off the cuff more than most.

As seen in the times article on her claims of ageism and fight against restraints from female bosses.

--

Yes, I think there was. I think with Eithne Hand – who was head of Radio 1 at the time – that there was.” Hand is clearly not the only culprit in that regard. “I don’t discuss that for reasons of ageism. I work in the most ageist industry in the country.” In any event, she reckons Hand simply didn’t like her.

She wanted meaty discussion and felt constrained by Hand who wanted texting programmes

You couldn’t get stuck into the meaty stuff that I really enjoy. And Eithne didn’t want that anyway. She wanted – as she said – ‘fun and texting’.”

--

It was not just the female bosses in RTE Marian was unafraid of. She was also fairly cutting about Eoghan Harris

“Because then he annoyed me for years. He used to imply that I was a fellow traveller of the IRA, which used to drive me insane. Absolutely unbelievable stuff.”

---

I understand how some people feel there needs to be a reverence for the dead and make sure all comments are respectful and polite = positive and gushing.

The woman herself spoke from the hip and had a devil may care nature - (surely the main reason why she was so successful in her start in RTE when she was flying the flag for women in the 70's) Yet everyone now has to say how great she was, because that is the done thing regardless.

I realise some of the comments on this thread are purely vindictive and nasty, but to make the thread the other way - completely one dimensional. Makes it kind of pointless.
    People might as well just copy and past 'RIP'
    Personally I always find that disrespectful, as it is just a mindless regurgitation like a faux online book of condolence. There is no real sincerity to it. And the irony is it is created by those who in the majority of cases only know the famous person - through the famous person's work. It happens with all famous people. It always seems odd to me.

But it's an RIP thread. If you want to do critical analysis of her record over the last whenever years, maybe another non RIP thread would be more appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Jonny one wrote: »

Over 75s is a bit extreme in fairness. Over 45s more like.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭XLR 8

As a young sales rep I travelled all over Ireland. No IPhones ,Spotify or Google. The car radio had 2 stations once you got out of Dublin. So it was Radio 1 or 2 and man was it boring. Except when Marian presented Live Line. For that hour every day I tuned in and I loved her. It was essential listening. I loved her voice her wit and her charm. But I also loved how she could make the mighty stumble & fall into a hole of they're own digging. As a man I'd never heard women speaking about issues such as contraception or divorce or abortion. But having listened I understood and if I'm honest probably modified my thinking. I shall miss her voice when I'm tinkering in the garage at the weekend . Sleep well and dream easy Marian you were brilliant. A proper star. Not one seen at every glittery event. But one you must look to the stars to find.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭sideboard

That just about sums up such a long-winded and utterly irrelevant post. Spare yourself, it just might more appropriately apply to yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,147 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

XLR 8 wrote: »
    I also loved how she could make the mighty stumble & fall into a hole of they're own digging.

Like yourself I mainly listened to her in the car. I heard her interviewing minister of state Joe Jacob about the shambles of the nationwide distribution of Iodine tablets (needed in case of nuclear disaster)

"stick your head between your legs and kiss your ass goodbye"

His political career was pretty much over after that interview. Just looked it up. That was 19 years ago. Wow. She died unexpectedly in her sleep. That's the way to go like a boss.

She was the only one of the higher paid RTE presenters, but one who actually did research. The others are more as “entertainers” than journalists. Marian was a true broadcasting journalist in a similar way as Pat Kenny would be regarded.

We need to be respectful on this thread, as someone said, it IS an RIP thread which may be read by her family. Of course, like any public figure paid out of public purse, criticism is legitimate, but more so on another thread.

Will miss her on the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,169 ✭✭✭plodder

I nearly always enjoyed her program. She had the status and reputation to be able to attract good panelists who knew they would get a good but fair grilling. Though I think it had gone down a bit in recent years, particularly in terms of the quality of the panelists. All else I'll say is that talented and professional broadcasters like Marian made it look easy. Anyone who wants proof of that should listen to today's absolute car crash presided over by Damien O'Reilly.

sideboard wrote: »
    That just about sums up such a long-winded and utterly irrelevant post. Spare yourself, it just might more appropriately apply to yourself.

Why is it irrelevant?
    The quotes are attributed directly to Marian.
    It is about the woman's work, her approach to the industry, her approach to criticism - much better than

- "RIP great broadcaster, will be sadly missed etc. etc"

I don't get get the point of that what does it add no flavour of the individual given, no flavour of her views on RTE or her manner.

Wouldn't you think more people would make the effort and put up snippets of interviews or something - saying remember xyz interview that was great etc.
    Some have done that. But most is just rinse and repeat RIP etc. As I said earlier I think that is insulting it means little.

Others are trying to out 'hollier than thou each other' which is really odd.

If a footballer died for example people would discuss goals scored (and missed). At least would give some sort of feel to thier memories of the person - but no unfortunately some just want to conform to bland platitudes which mean little.

Also there does not seem to be another active Marian Finucane thread at the moment. I do not see what is wrong with posting here though - it is about the woman.
    People go on about time and place etc, when is the time or the place?
    It is a thread about Finucane in AH the most loosely moderated area of boards.ie.
    If people were really upset and really serious about RIP Marian -

1) It would not be in AH
    2) They would could to the funeral and actually sign a real life book of condolence
    3) Maybe send the Finucane family a card?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭serfboard

It is a thread about Finucane in AH the most loosely moderated area of boards.ie.
    Wrong. You're now in the Radio forum.

serfboard wrote: »
    Wrong. You're now in the Radio forum.

Oh right, so I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Let's establish one thing here before we go down the typical Irish success begrudgery rabbit-hole.

Marian Finucane owned her own limited company which supplied services to RTE.

She wasn't an RTE employee when she started her weekend shows.

I say fair play to her business acumen in negotiating such a high price for her services.

If you want to 'blame' anyone, then I respectfully suggest you focus your attention on RTE for its poor negotiation skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,284 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

But it's an RIP thread. If you want to do critical analysis of her record over the last whenever years, maybe another non RIP thread would be more appropriate.

?? It's probably the best post on the thread. Insightful, researched analysis and not disrespectful. What is it we want from threads like this? Just so people can tell us that she kept them company while they cooked the Saturday morning eggs and that they will miss her presence? That, quite frankly isn't even close to interesting, it's inane and its boring.

If we can't have a discussion on a discussion forum, we may as well close the thread, the forum and go somewhere else.

Why is it irrelevant?

There is something very 'gormdubh' about you....

• Advertisement

?? It's probably the best post on the thread. ....

Another foot-stomper. Where do we get them???

Advertisement