Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marian Finucane RIP Mod warning #46

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,283 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

elperello wrote: »
    Those of us who love radio are to put it simply in mourning for one of the greats of Irish radio.

There will be plenty of threads and time to discuss the problems of RTE in the future.

It is inappropriate to be using her untimely sudden death to take a swing at RTE.

It's not about taking a swing at RTE but looking at her legacy in the round. You could say now is not the time, but to be honest, if it's not discussed now, it never will be. It won't be discussed anywhere else but online anyway, definitely not in print or broadcast media that's for sure.

Marian produced some fine work as a broadcaster, but in her later years particularly her show was stale, boring and the same week in week out when she wasn't on holidays. It was her and her mates read the weekend papers, didn't seem to be much research beyond that and she lifted a massive wage for that.

The above poster is correct though, RTE have managed to not just alienate a significant part of their audience, but make them outright hostile. To them anything that lets them stick the but into RTE is fair game, and Marian's wages in particular have long been a bone of contention, given her limited broadcast hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

sideboard wrote: »
    It was no surprise that Marion could have such a large listenership, many, like me, had much respect for her professionalism as a broadcaster.
    No doubt, her status, brought out the handful of begrudgers. Some of them are on this thread, showing as much respect today - of all days - as they are capable (and culpable) of. Decency shows itself in so many ways!

Lovely tribute, her name was ‘Marian’ by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭hawley

She helped reshape the country. You could never tell her political views from her interviews, she was also so balanced. She allowed people to exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,645 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It's not about taking a swing at RTE but looking at her legacy in the round. You could say now is not the time, but to be honest, if it's not discussed now, it never will be. It won't be discussed anywhere else but online anyway, definitely not in print or broadcast media that's for sure.

Marian produced some fine work as a broadcaster, but in her later years particularly her show was stale, boring and the same week in week out when she wasn't on holidays. It was her and her mates read the weekend papers, didn't seem to be much research beyond that and she lifted a massive wage for that.

The above poster is correct though, RTE have managed to not just alienate a significant part of their audience, but make them outright hostile. To them anything that lets them stick the but into RTE is fair game, and Marian's wages in particular have long been a bone of contention, given her limited broadcast hours.

I note your comments.
    Happy to discuss some other time not tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,969 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Her charity work is neither here nor there in what I commented on so bringing it into conversation is irrelevant and a very poor attempt to discredit what I said.

This is a RIP thread. In case you don't realise a RIP thread is like an online book of condolences. Would you write your comments here in a book of condolences?

I'll leave it there.

R.I.P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,283 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    This is a RIP thread. In case you don't realise a RIP thread is like an online book of condolences. Would you write your comments here in a book of condolences?

I'll leave it there.

R.I.P
    It isn't. We have a Book of Condolence forum for that.

RIP threads are for condolences yes, but also for discussing legacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Sleeper12 wrote: »

I'll leave it there.

R.I.P

You’ve quoted one part of my post. Very selective in your put downs.

As for boards being an online book of condolence, talk about being the most awful tribute you could leave to someone’s legacy, I can’t think of anything worse for someone as a tribute. I doubt the comments of “Sleeper12’ or ‘Sideboard’ who was a massive fan but didn’t know how to spell her name are really going to ease the family’s grief, now or ever.

I’ll leave it there also.

RIP Marian.

Hopefully RIP RTE sometime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭horsebox1977

Nody wrote: »
    Mod:
    Since some posters appear to have been dropped on their head one time to many allow us to spell it out: Be polite and considerate when posting in this thread or you'll face a forum ban. Oh and we in the mod team define nice as we see fit; yes we're all desperate power mongering dictators bla bla bla so suck it up buttercup or face a ban for it.

Are posters not allowed to criticize her broadcasting skills or salary now that she died?

I'm neither a critic or a fan myself, just observing.

The previous MF thread she was getting a fair bit of abuse at the start of the thread for all sorts of different reasons, but once she passed away morphed into one of the best which I thought was ironic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,328 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Her stand out interview imo is the one she did with Nuala O’Faolain where Nuala articulated her own demise in the most chilling, raw and personal manner. Admirable and gutsy account from her. I think they were personal friends so it couldn't have been easy for Marian either. Marian didn't have to say much but maybe that's what made the interview so compelling.

found it here: https://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/html5/#/radio1/21361567

• Registered Users Posts: 16,969 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Are posters not allowed to criticize her broadcasting skills or salary now that she died?

I'm not a mod & I'm not directing you on how to post but R.I.P stands for Rest In Peace. Criticism of her broadcasting skills, hours worked, salary paid or RTE issues doesn't fall into rest in peace.

There are RTE threads & starting a thread on her legacy in a few days wouldn't be disrespectful. Personally I'd wait till after her funeral before starting a thread like that.

There is a time & a place for everything. Some posters have the wrong time & place for what they want to post imo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

hawley wrote: »
    She helped reshape the country. You could never tell her political views from her interviews, she was also so balanced. She allowed people to exist.

In more recent times she found herself in the position of having to play devil's advocate to her guests, particularly with regard to Trump and BREXIT, to give the show some small semblance of objectivity. But the reason she had to do this is because of the extremely small demographic of contributors on the show. The panels were always far too friendly, all liberals (whether genuinely liberal or so mandated by their profession), all from the same professional classes (i.e. PR "gurus", politicians, ex politicians, solicitors, journalists), rarely if ever anybody with a contrary opinion.

RTE preach about everybody having equal rights and equal value, but they would never dare have a tradesman contributing on the panel show. Well sorry, I'm wrong, Neven Maguire brought in the sandwiches, so he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,328 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Y

Hopefully RIP RTE sometime soon.

Do you really think these kinds of spiteful comments are appropriate today?

Whatever she was paid it was RTE that gave her a platform in the first place.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,275 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

The previous MF thread she was getting a fair bit of abuse at the start of the thread for all sorts of different reasons, but once she passed away morphed into one of the best which I thought was ironic.
    I'll make an exception to the rule of answering a moderator on thread (normally a big no no) because you do raise a valid question and requires an answer of clarification.

On her salary; no because it's no longer relevant as she's dead. People may not have liked how much she was paid but it's not like she'll get it any more.

In regards to her previous work they can start up a new thread were they politely discuss it; that being said if someone wants to post a thread that they are happy they are not paying for her and she sounded like a rooster are going to get a swift kick up the bum. There's a difference between being polite and being an ass; something people often forget. You can politely disagree about someone's abilities and lay out the facts and references rather than simply claim she sucked because I say so. Some people appear to take the later as the former however.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,606 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I wasn't an avid listener, but whenever I listened she was on the ball, well informed, warm compassionate and professional. Certainly a pioneer for women in broadcasting. A sad & sudden loss for her family and in part for the nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

2 giants of RTE departed the airwaves this week. Larry Gogan and Marian Finucane (RIP). Both worked for RTE Radio only.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Marian was a heavy cigarette smoker.My father died at 61 years old.He used to smoke 40+ per day.The awful "fags" knocks years of the lives of people that smoke them.
    Rest In Peace Marian.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,690 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Yes of course we can criticize but there is a time and a place for that. Would you like a family member was criticized in public the days after their death ? That's the point people are making.

Time and place.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Joe Kaine

Terrible news. She was on big wages wasn't she?

2 giants of RTE departed the airwaves this week. Larry Gogan and Marian Finucane (RIP). Both worked for RTE Radio only.

This week ? Year surely. Larry Gogan is still alive.

Joe Kaine wrote: »
    Terrible news. She was on big wages wasn't she?

She was but is it relevant tonight ?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 143 ✭✭Ready4Boarding

The mawkishness in this thread from rosary-clutching simpletons is pathetic.'

Mod:
    User banned from the forum.

The mawkishness in this thread from rosary-clutching simpletons is pathetic.

Pathetic ? What's pathetic about being respectful of a person who has died ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Itssoeasy wrote: »

Larry is still alive,but I think he retired from broadcasting this week.

Larry is still alive,but I think he retired from broadcasting this week.

It was just the lost part. Considering the term lost in this thread refers to death so I was worried I'd missed some news.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Itssoeasy wrote: »

Larry is very alive and well. But from this week onwards, he is no longer part of the RTE Gold radio schedule.

Larry is very alive and well. But from this week onwards, he is no longer part of the RTE Gold radio schedule.

I've worked that out after but for a few seconds the heart was crossways on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Tigerbaby

as a near 60 year old, I want to thank Marian and her Family for some of the best radio broadcasting I have ever heard.

I've listened to her for decades. from "liveline" through to the weekend slots.

Always informative, teasing out arguements, gave interviewees plenty of scope and space.

Up there with Pat Kenny and Olivia O'Leary.

Just a simple thanks from an ordinary man.

RIP Marian.
    you'll be missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭WomanSkirtFan8

Shocked to hear the news. RIP Marian

• Registered Users Posts: 2 wollam

RIP Marian

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭robinbird

Any information on why she died. Only 69.
    Heavy smoker. Did that contribute?
    Announcement that death was "sudden and unexpected" yet she had been off air since 8th Dec. Brendan O'Connor covered for her for the last few weeks.

Advertisement