Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marian Finucane RIP Mod warning #46

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Does anyone remember a programme about the arts in the afternoon .rem when it was culled along with John Kelly's brilliant (to my mind anyway) music programme. Would the arts programme (can't recall the name now) have been in the now ronan Collins slot?

Rattlebag, presented by Myles Dungan?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

Ahwell wrote: »
    Rattlebag, presented by Myles Dungan?

There was a show called "Arts Tonight" which used go out @ 10pm on Monday nights presented by Vincent Woods but I think it's last series finished around June 2018.

https://www.rte.ie/radio1/arts-tonight/programmes/2018/0603/968007-arts-tonight-sunday-3-june-2018/

Nowadays you would need to tune in to "ARENA" with Sean Rocks on RTÉ Radio 1 from 7pm-8pm Monday to Friday weeknights for updates on news/events from the arts world.

https://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/html5/#/radio1/11136966

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭TheFortField

Does anyone know if Marian Finucane’s funeral mass is going to be broadcast by RTÉ on radio or television?

Edit: It’s on RTÉ News Now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Jamie X

The fact that it was revealed that Marian's production team first tried to make contact with her late on Thursday afternoon to discuss the coming weekends show, badly contradicts past clams that she is in the office all week preparing for the show

Jamie X wrote: »
    The fact that it was revealed that Marian's production team first tried to make contact with her late on Thursday afternoon to discuss the coming weekends show, badly contradicts past clams that she is in the office all week preparing for the show

I don’t think it was said she was in the office working, but rather doing her extensive reading up on current affairs in preparation, which could be done wherever she had internet access.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,292 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

I don’t think it was said she was in the office working, but rather doing her extensive reading up on current affairs in preparation, which could be done wherever she had internet access.

Plus wasn't it over the Christmas holiday that she died? I mean-she mightn't have been the hardest working employee, but she was on her Christmas holidays.

Saw the coverage on the news, of her funeral. Her husband mentioned they'd be talking, over Christmas, about her retiring. And their plans for thereafter, for the future and so on.

I felt very sad for her family. I know that feeling-the 'we have all the time in the world' thing, which sadly never comes to pass.
    Her daughter died at the tender age of 8. She was excited to become a grandmother.
    Instead...she'll never see her grandchild.

The death of Larry Gogan today was a pretty sombre moment too. Reminds you that there's not major 'Names' coming up and taking their place.
    Tony Fenton, Gay Byrne, Marian Finucane, Larry Gogan had these incredibly recognisable voices and mannerisms on the radio.
    And they could often put people at ease... there's nobody like that now. Probably won't be ever again.
    Radio's changed a LOT since then-the types you get now aren't happy unless they're telling you what to think. Not challenging, telling.

Most DJ's like Gogan or Fenton just shut up and play the music-as it should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭TheFortField

I despair when I read petty posts like this ^^^^

Marian was buried today, have a tiny bit of respect. Surely your rant could have waited. Actually, what does it matter now, the woman will never return to her role.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,709 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

She normally worked from home during the week, but feel free to have a little dance on her grave if that's what floats your boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

Did anyone see her husband's speech today?

It was heartbreaking, god love him, in the end he said "all I can give you is my tears".

Really broke me down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

pinkyeye wrote: »
    Did anyone see her husband's speech today?

It was heartbreaking, god love him, in the end he said "all I can give you is my tears".

Really broke me down.

I found that heartbreaking and so touching also, how poetic and fitting. Its so beautiful when you here of couples like them. They were so lucky to have each other.

• Advertisement

It must have been a horrific shock to the family for Marian to go for a nap and pass away at such a young age.

The fact that she didn't even have her first grandchild yet I think is heartbreaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭maebee

It must have been a horrific shock to the family for Marian to go for a nap and pass away at such a young age.

For sure it must have been a horrific shock for her family but 69 is not a young age. Rest in peace Marian.

maebee wrote: »
    For sure it must have been a horrific shock for her family but 69 is not a young age. Rest in peace Marian.

69 is very much a young age nowadays, especially considering they're rising the pension age to 67.

So in your book enjoying retirement for only 2 years in fine and dandy. :rolleyes:

69 is very much a young age nowadays, especially considering they're rising the pension age to 67.

So in your book enjoying retirement for only 2 years in fine and dandy. :rolleyes:
    She really should have retired long ago. She can't have been short of a few quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,027 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

She really should have retired long ago. She can't have been short of a few quid.

she shouldn't and thankfully didn't.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

she shouldn't and thankfully didn't.

She might have gotten hit by he property bust a while back-the one where the likes of Pat Kenny got hit too.

Lots of folks lost their life savings round then.

She might have gotten hit by he property bust a while back-the one where the likes of Pat Kenny got hit too.

Lots of folks lost their life savings round then.
    Hard to have too much financial sympathy for wealthy people who lost money on risky, leveraged investments.

Hard to have too much financial sympathy for wealthy people who lost money on risky, leveraged investments.

Oh you mean like the people who celebrated when that youtuber, Pewdiepie, discovered his house had been robbed?
    Yes, that really happened.

Oh you mean like the people who celebrated when that youtuber, Pewdiepie, discovered his house had been robbed?
    Yes, that really happened.

I'm not really seeing the connection between losing money on an investment and being burgled?

I'm not really seeing the connection between losing money on an investment and being burgled?

Its just your post on lacking sympathy for someone losing money by investing in property reminded me of those sentiments.

It's not as if Finucane was born with a silver spoon in her mouth. Nor did she make people pay for the money she lost (like Johnny Ronan did).

• Advertisement
Advertisement