Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marian Finucane RIP Mod warning #46

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

Let's establish one thing here before we go down the typical Irish success begrudgery rabbit-hole.

Marian Finucane owned her own limited company which supplied services to RTE.

She wasn't an RTE employee when she started her weekend shows.

I say fair play to her business acumen in negotiating such a high price for her services.

If you want to 'blame' anyone, then I respectfully suggest you focus your attention on RTE for its poor negotiation skills.

I understand from a contributor to one of various radio tributes today that Marian's company had "Montrose" as part of it's company title. Of course Montrose is also the name of the RTÉ headquarters campus situated in Donnybrook, Dublin 4. Marian was said to have been a passionate advocate of public service broadcasting which is probably why she continued working with RTÉ albeit as a freelancer until her untimely passing announced yesterday.

Apparently a special tribute programme dedicated to Marian Finucane will be broadcast on RTÉ Radio 1 tomorrow Saturday @ 11am and will be presented by Rachel English ("Morning Ireland" & ex-"Five Seven Live" presenter).

Also tonight, Ryan Tubridy will lead another tribute segment to Marian within "The Late Late Show" on RTÉ One tv from 9:35pm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Does anyone know was Marian's contract being renewed?..I've seen no radio or TV tribute from Dee Forbes...just sayin'

• Registered Users Posts: 7,283 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Does anyone know was Marian's contract being renewed?..I've seen no radio or TV tribute from Dee Forbes...just sayin'
    It's not been explicitly said but it was believed Marian was going to retire at the conclusion of this contract. She would've been 70 at that point.

Forbes paid tribute to her yesterday, immediately as the news broke.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Vincent Browne summed Marian up very well in a tweet yesterday.

https://twitter.com/vincentbrowne/status/1212864244619853824?s=20

She had her faults but on balance she was an excellent broadcaster. To be a great interviewer you have to empathetic with your interviewees. The great broadcasters like Gay Byrne, Terry Wogan, Gerry Ryan and Michael Parkinson knew and understood this.

Her interruptions, although many and at times frustrating were never from the point of view of 'I know more than you', rather trying to break it down to what the average listener might want to ask.

Much like Byrne and Ryan she was a reassuring voice a lot of us grew up with. 69 is no age to go these days but if you have to go then dying in your sleep is the most peaceful of all.

RIP Marian.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Wouldn't you think more people would make the effort and put up snippets of interviews or something - saying remember xyz interview that was great etc. Some have done that. But most is just rinse and repeat RIP etc. As I said earlier I think that is insulting it means little.

If you listened to RTE or newstalk today it was smothered with examples of her greatness. Plenty of people she interviewed over the y explaining how she made them at ease and yet extract the story at the same time.

One of RTEs biggest advertising & sponsor giant's not having their contract renewed???

She had one of the highest listening figures in all of broadcasting land. Why would you suppose that they wouldn't renew the contract of such a money spinner?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Listening through the archives of stuff popping up, she had a beautiful radio voice and perfect elocution in her early days. Although she was just as sharp with content recently, her voice would rattle your eardrums, laboured breathing and wheezing, spluttering off mic. I don't know why anyone would ask what the cause of death was. Life long smokers have some of the most horrendous ends to their lives, karma dealt Marian a great hand, who wouldn't want to go whilst asleep during a mid afternoon nap versus the alternative. Awfully tough on those left behind with something as sudden as always but if there is any positive it is that she didn't suffer at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Apparently a special tribute programme dedicated to Marian Finucane will be broadcast on RTÉ Radio 1 tomorrow Saturday @ 11am and will be presented by Rachel English ("Morning Ireland" & ex-"Five Seven Live" presenter).

Also tonight, Ryan Tubridy will lead another tribute segment to Marian within "The Late Late Show" on RTÉ One tv from 9:35pm

Will try and catch Rachel English but you can keep your Tubridy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Of course there are other radio channels in Ireland. A lot of people never listen to Pravda R.T.E.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,919 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

As with anyone, I am sorry to see her go.

And as others have said, dying peacefully in your sleep is something everyone would like, and I am glad she had such a peaceful passing. It's tough on those left behind, but in time, they will be glad they didn't have to watch a loved one suffering on with awful illnesses either as many of us have.

May she rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,138 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Although she was just as sharp with content recently, her voice would rattle your eardrums, laboured breathing and wheezing, spluttering off mic. I don't know why anyone would ask what the cause of death was. Life long smokers have some of the most horrendous ends to their lives, karma dealt Marian a great hand, who wouldn't want to go whilst asleep during a mid afternoon nap versus the alternative. Awfully tough on those left behind with something as sudden as always but if there is any positive it is that she didn't suffer at all.

God help her, I used to worry so much when I heard her gulping for air, swallowing & gasping for breath live on air, yet there was never any official comment on her health, although it was obvious to anybody listening that something was seriously amiss.

Sad loss to Irish broadcasting, and only sixty nine.

May she rest in peace.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    One of RTEs biggest advertising & sponsor giant's not having their contract renewed???

She had one of the highest listening figures in all of broadcasting land. Why would you suppose that they wouldn't renew the contract of such a money spinner?

Dee Forbes, Moya Doherty and Tom McGuire all paid warm generous tributes to Marian Finucane shortly after the public announcement - I heard it on radio on Thursday evening but I cannot recall if it was on RTÉ Radio 1's Drivetime with Philip Boucher-Hayes or on NewsTalk 106-108 "The Hard Shoulder" with Ivan Yates as I listened to both of these radio stations programmes. In fact, I heard Ivan Yates break the news before I eventually switched to RTÉ Radio 1 and they were clearly in shock at the sudden news.

Dee Forbes, Moya Doherty and Tom McGuire all paid warm generous tributes to Marian Finucane shortly after the public announcement - I heard it on radio on Thursday evening but I cannot recall if it was on RTÉ Radio 1's Drivetime with Philip Boucher-Hayes or on NewsTalk 106-108 "The Hard Shoulder" with Ivan Yates as I listened to both of these radio stations programmes. In fact, I heard Ivan Yates break the news before I eventually switched to RTÉ Radio 1 and they were clearly in shock at the sudden news.

I didn't hear any radio that evening as the new broke but can confirm it was well covered the next day on Kenny and surprisingly Ciara Kelly's show did a tribute. Liveline was obviously dedicated to her for the day. Plenty of coverage & shows dedicated to her story across the board by the looks of it.

She was well respected by all stations and broadcasters

• Registered Users Posts: 8,292 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

God help her, I used to worry so much when I heard her gulping for air, swallowing & gasping for breath live on air, yet there was never any official comment on her health, although it was obvious to anybody listening that something was seriously amiss.

Sad loss to Irish broadcasting, and only sixty nine.

May she rest in peace.

Yeah, she was a heavy smoker. Quit the tobacco while you can people.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Thought she was a dreadful mediocrity of a broadcaster, my comments are in relation to her professional media capacity, I'm sure she was a fine person privately

• Registered Users Posts: 28,719 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Edgware wrote: »
    Of course there are other radio channels in Ireland. A lot of people never listen to Pravda R.T.E.
    I was in a group of mostly 20/30-somethings who were asked who listened to RTE Radio 1. Just myself and one other 50-something raised our hands.

A lot of people never listen to radio at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Edgware wrote: »

Oooooh, edgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,265 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Bit insensitive still using her email?

Her radio show is still reading out marion@rte.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

I don't get this inference that all men had it so great and that all the women were downtrodden. For the majority of men in the 60s/70s/80s things were very very difficult, unless you were one of the few in the upper classes.

Marian had her good and her bad, like all presenters. She was probably the most objective presenter RTE had, in that you would not know how she leaned politically, as opposed to Duffy or D'Arcy who are from the modern model of being completely left leaning (or at least giving the appearance of being liberal as this is best for their career). She was a good interviewer, and a good broadcaster. But for somebody who was interested in social justice, she rarely gave a voice to any working class voices on her panel shows, and this should not be forgotten.

• Advertisement

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Thought she was a dreadful mediocrity of a broadcaster, my comments are in relation to her professional media capacity, I'm sure she was a fine person privately

Ah you can only be talking of more recent years with the Sunday morning coffee club etc. But she was genuinely a different voice back in the 1980s and 90s, ran counter current then and offered all sorts of insights into Irish life. Far more so than Gaybo in many ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,313 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

NIMAN wrote: »
    Bit insensitive still using her email?

Her radio show is still reading out marion@rte.ie

Sky Planner saying ‘Live stimulating mix of news, interviews, reports and discussion. PRESENTED BY MARIAN FINUCANE.’ :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

And did you have any indication at all at all that Pearse McAuley might have had a tendency for violence before you married him?

The show this morning is a 'love in' which is fair enough. But she her inconsistencies as well - for example back in the Celtic Tiger years she ran regular features on property and investments etc., catering for the middle classes with the extra cash sloshing around and getting into buy to lets and fancy holiday homes abroad etc. She openly promoted this splashing of the cash. Yet when things went belly up, Marian had a bit of a different tune with regard to the banks and how the country was run etc., and this tune jarred a bit with her previous enthusiasm :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,648 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I'm listening to the radio tribute.
    Can't bring myself to clog up this RIP thread replying to other posts.
    Just a little space is all we need.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Ballso

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Ah you can only be talking of more recent years with the Sunday morning coffee club etc. But she was genuinely a different voice back in the 1980s and 90s, ran counter current then and offered all sorts of insights into Irish life. Far more so than Gaybo in many ways.

The 1980s started forty years ago. Coming back to the present, Finucane was the master of the establishment softball interview for her mates, working 4 hours a week for an absolute fortune. She was everything that is wrong with the state broadcaster today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Firstly I think she was an excellent interviewer, what I’m curious about is why she felt it was a good tribute to the loss of her daughter to leukemia in Ireland by setting up an AIDS charity in South Africa rather than one that helps sick children in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,066 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

I heard the panel robustly defend her salary / fees/ renumeration for her 'working' hours.
    Made me laugh.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭hawley

A lot of people felt safe listening to her. She a huge loss to Irish broadcasting and her ability to take on politicians, the church and state will be sorely missed but, she's even a bigger loss to the women of this country. She was an advocate for women's rights when it frowned upon. She allowed women to exist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

You got plenty of free advertising off her ,Neven.

Advertisement