Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will world war 3 begin and end?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,143 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Well yeah, but a world war is when other countries get dragged in as a result of a conventional war.

It's highly unlikely there will ever be a proper world war ever again where superpowers are going at it.

Because the superpowers know the consequences.....so they will continue having wars by proxy or secretly backing small wars or conflicts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

This spat with Iran sure as hell won't be WW3. Iran could be defeated as fast as Iraq in a conventional war.

Not sure Iran is quite as ramshackle as Iraq were

they actually have WMD and a proper army by now .

the terrain lends itself to unconventional warfare better too , more like Afghanistan than Iraq.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cryptocurrency

mynamejeff wrote: »
    Not sure Iran is quite as ramshackle as Iraq were

they actually have WMD and a proper army by now .

the terrain lends itself to unconventional warfare better too , more like Afghanistan than Iraq.

Sure, add another 2 weeks then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

This spat with Iran sure as hell won't be WW3. Iran could be defeated as fast as Iraq in a conventional war.

O the ignorance of this statement!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,363 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Just as a "what if" the invasion, total subjugation and occupation of Iran would be a far messier proposition than the Iraqi case (and exponentially more misguided, but that's a different thing). It would probably take 60-90 days and a lot of bloody fighting to achieve, then you would have many centres of massive civil unrest to patrol and police, together with numerous factions of varying reliability offering to assist in the regime change implied (otherwise why bother?).

I don't think Trump has even the neo-con's limited appetite for such an adventure and he should steer clear of it. So I don't think my estimate would ever be tested out. Iran is a larger country with a more varied terrain, deeper if perhaps largely incompetent military assets, and a more fanatical streak to the part of the population likely to offer active resistance. It all adds up to a rather lengthy campaign that would almost surely lead to a chaotic and unstable outcome.

What is more likely is that Iran will shift its activities to more semi-covert assistance to Hezbollah and other forces, and try to take the fight to the perceived enemies through those proxy groups. So we can watch to see what happens in spring and summer of 2020 in the general area of southern Lebanon and northern Israel. The most that could bring about would be regional war, in itself a very troubling thing.

As to the primary question of this thread, I don't think there will ever be a World War III because those who could start such a thing would have the most to lose. The nuclear deterrent is actually as close to a guarantee of global peace (on that scale) as we could expect, barring an unexpected change in the human condition that I would associate with divine intervention alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

Beginning : orbital space weapon capable of striking down missile launches, so shifting the balance of power away from mutual assured destruction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭badabing106

It's August 2022.I think WW3 is not far away. There are alot of fires burning all over the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Gog calling Magog, where have you been?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,881 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I tend to agree, coupled with a couple of crackpot dictators in the east…weak leaders of the west, Biden, Boris, Elisabeth Borne, Olaf Scholz…

The choke of woke being a prevalent bullying distraction as regards resolving many problems or potential threats…

common sense middle ground ideals and dead set focuses on keeping and ensuring safety are failing.

problem is, the war won’t be fought with troops and guns, for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭bb1234567

This Taiwan incident is bad news, feels like it will just further divide NATO from the rest of the world and strengthen an axis in the East

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

@badabing106 I think the EU and USA and nato will be in Co hoots together, negotiating for decades a false flag attack against the Eternal "enemy" Russia

So in other words, you're a climate change denier.

Advertisement