Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,355 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    My portfolio was worth 53k the day before the general election here, worth 41 k right now, too late to sell, my goal now is for this experience to build resolve against market volatility
    I’m sitting this in. And adding more today.

Fair play lads, at this stage I think I'll do the same. Not smart enough to time the market, its going to suck for a while. But i believe in the companies I've invested in. Just hope this isn't as bad (or worse) as 2008 :(

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Strong hands, fair play!

My instinct told me throughout 2019 that I should sell at 53k, i then decided to wait for 60 k :(

Sometimes you need to listen to your gut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

My portfolio was worth 53k the day before the general election here, worth 41 k right now, too late to sell, my goal now is for this experience to build resolve against market volatility

Its not too late to sell !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Still in profit thanks to tesla, but not for long ha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

My instinct told me throughout 2019 that I should sell at 53k, i then decided to wait for 60 k :(

My gut told me to sell in Oct 18, missed out on 30% gains and had been sick about it since, until today.

Long term you are making the right decision. Buy the dip etc.

• Advertisement

Its not too late to sell !

I'm not selling

My gut told me to sell in Oct 18, missed out on 30% gains and had been sick about it since, until today.

Long term you are making the right decision. Buy the dip etc.

Are you going to buy now or soon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Are you going to buy now or soon?

If I wasn't heading off on holidays this week I'd be buying, so probably be next month.

Eyes on Boeing & Disney to get things going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

just need to be careful of your expectations. 60k as a target doesn’t really mean anything. You need to target levels that mean something to the broad economy

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Holly13

Anyone any thoughts on buying shares in Total SA? Is now a good time or do you think will drop further?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭littlevillage

In these days of Coronavirus hysteria is anybody keeping an eye on drug trials/genome research companies ?

“During the gold rush its a good time to be in the pick and shovel business” ― Mark Twain

I like Open Orphan (ORPH : AIM) ? ... they are a drug trials/genome research company that have recently doubled in size as a result of a merger, and gained a potential block buster flu vaccine drug in the process.

CEO Cathal Friel seems to be a serious deal maker who talks a great game and he is making no secret of the fact that its going up for sale once the combined entity is profitable.... somewhere in next 12 months. (he owns a stack of the equity himself and is locked in for 3 years).

SP has actually slipped a few % this week so far... soo might be a buying opportunity.

Disclaimer : This is still a small London AIM listed company soo ....DYOR

One of the few Shares in London to buck the downward trend today. Hope this is significant

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/health-pharma/coronavirus-open-orphan-to-reinitiate-vaccine-efforts-1.4197316?mode=amp

just need to be careful of your expectations. 60k as a target doesn’t really mean anything. You need to target levels that mean something to the broad economy

The two stocks which delivered big gains for me last year had more room to run so i figured 53k to 60 was a reasonable goal so I held on

Holly13 wrote: »
    Anyone any thoughts on buying shares in Total SA? Is now a good time or do you think will drop further?

Shell is a better buy, massive dividend yield

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

This is not a buy the dip event.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

I'd be buying into airline shares - esp the strong ones. Easyjet, Ryanair, IAG etc.

Airlines will suffer for a few months, but there will be a vaccine for this soon enough and it will be just like any other virus and will be treatable and life will go on.

Oil prices at multi year lows will feed very quickly into airline bottom lines esp those that have the financial muscle to hedge forward for as long as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭themossinator

panic should set in today

The two stocks which delivered big gains for me last year had more room to run so i figured 53k to 60 was a reasonable goal so I held on

I think everyone thought we had more to run. But you still need your targets to have a meaning. Not sure if I’m explaining myself properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭hottipper

The 200day weekly not far away $2674 which should be strong support even in the 2018 dump it bounced off the 200 day.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,902 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Proper panic on Twitter now, not that you should listen to that sewer for investment advice no more than Zerohedge but some of the fundamentals they're pointing to like the yield curve stuff would make you nervous if you were still in.

Is there blood on the streets yet? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

NYSE opens an hour earlier today at 1.30pm GMT, on lunch atm and just setting up to watch the blood bath in 20 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Silvius

If it wasn't for the deemed disposable rule I'd just invest in the S&P 500. Are there any funds that Irish tax residents can invest in, allow the value to roll up, and only pay tax when we sell?

Not UCIT funds, only Investment trusts for the retail investor. The investment houses can access non-EU based ETF's but unless you have a 6 figure sum to invest they're not interested. It seems that buying a broadly diversified investment trust (or else a share like Berkshire which covers so many companies it basically is a fund) is the only way around the deemed disposal rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,385 ✭✭✭Shedite27

weemcd wrote: »
    NYSE opens an hour earlier today at 1.30pm GMT, on lunch atm and just setting up to watch the blood bath in 20 minutes.

The way the past 2 weeks have gone I wouldn't be surprised if it soars

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭themossinator

second trading halt, amazing

silver2020 wrote: »
    I'd be buying into airline shares - esp the strong ones. Easyjet, Ryanair, IAG etc.

Airlines will suffer for a few months, but there will be a vaccine for this soon enough and it will be just like any other virus and will be treatable and life will go on.

Oil prices at multi year lows will feed very quickly into airline bottom lines esp those that have the financial muscle to hedge forward for as long as possible.

Problem is they have already hedged at much higher prices.

Silvius wrote: »
    Not UCIT funds, only Investment trusts for the retail investor. The investment houses can access non-EU based ETF's but unless you have a 6 figure sum to invest they're not interested. It seems that buying a broadly diversified investment trust (or else a share like Berkshire which covers so many companies it basically is a fund) is the only way around the deemed disposal rule.

Why not use a spread bet account?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Blood bath is the word at the moment. I wonder will things calm down after an hour or two ?

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭greenfield21

Did I just see a banner on CNBC website saying trading suspended until 9.40. I thought lvl 1 had a 15 minute stop

Nevermind back again and rising woohoo.

https://www.koyfin.com/home

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭greenfield21

Ah clocks changed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

No what you should do is do your home work and rely on that not gut reaction. If it was seriously over valued at 53k it was time to get out, if it is still over valued it is time to get out.

In times like these most stock prices tend to revert to prices more in line with their values.

Advertisement