Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭franglan

On all things sports betting in America NBA playoff ongoing with NFL now in training camp and no major hiccups so far from what I can see. Fantasy football is huge in America and draft kings are one of the big boys. More confident that we'll see games now mid September. The big dollar industry will just chug on it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Gamma1

Most of the commentary here is on US shares. Not much on Irish or European stocks. Maybe I live in fools paradise but I pride myself in dealing (the small bit that I do) in pan European area. I feel I am more connected to the issues here rather than what happens in US Nba, etc. I know of course I wont make the extraordinary gains that I hear being talked about in US.
    Any like minded folk out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Gamma1 wrote: »
    Most of the commentary here is on US shares. Not much on Irish or European stocks. Maybe I live in fools paradise but I pride myself in dealing (the small bit that I do) in pan European area. I feel I am more connected to the issues here rather than what happens in US Nba, etc. I know of course I wont make the extraordinary gains that I hear being talked about in US.

Does hibernia reit and Nokia count? :)

It wouldn't be a strategy I'd favour. Costs are cheaper for US stock purchases as well. But if a good non US stock should be considered let us know.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭outonawing

Does hibernia reit and Nokia count? :)
    My first experience of investing in shares was losing a fair chunk on Waterford Crystal. My next encounter with the stock market hAd a happier outcome with Telecom Éireann. My 3rd stock purchase was Bank of Ireland in 2010, which ended in tears earlier this year, when I gave up on them.

Now I'm retired and with a lump sum sitting idly in the bank, I decided to put some of it to work in the market. I hold 2 European shares, Shell and Unilever. The remainder are mainly dividend paying US stocks. I use a small amount for a couple of growth companies.

The US market leads the world, where it goes others follow. Ambitious companies want to be listed on the NYSE or NASDAQ, where they know they will get the attention they deserve. I also like the quarterly reports and dividend payments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

outonawing wrote: »
    My first experience of investing in shares was losing a fair chunk on Waterford Crystal. My next encounter with the stock market hAd a happier outcome with Telecom Éireann. My 3rd stock purchase was Bank of Ireland in 2010, which ended in tears earlier this year, when I gave up on them.

Now I'm retired and with a lump sum sitting idly in the bank, I decided to put some of it to work in the market. I hold 2 European shares, Shell and Unilever. The remainder are mainly dividend paying US stocks. I use a small amount for a couple of growth companies.

The US market leads the world, where it goes others follow. Ambitious companies want to be listed on the NYSE or NASDAQ, where they know they will get the attention they deserve. I also like the quarterly reports and dividend payments.

Very honest and very similar to mine . Eircom and banks . Didn’t do too well . Then tech stocks which took a nose dive in the 2000 era . So holding long would have seen some of the tech stocks recover and bloom . So not a pretty experience but like you I can’t see interest rates going into positive territory so divident the paying stocks in the mid to high single digit level interest is definitely on the cards . Probably more stable also .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Whatever about extraordinary gains, you compare the s&p to the ftse across the passed 10/15yrs, and it's the difference between making a profit and only breaking even/losing out to inflation. Then things like stamp duty on Irish/UK stocks make it alot less favorable to do any sort of shorter team swing/day trading.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Timmaay wrote: »
    Whatever about extraordinary gains, you compare the s&p to the ftse across the passed 10/15yrs, and it's the difference between making a profit and only breaking even/losing out to inflation. Then things like stamp duty on Irish/UK stocks make it alot less favorable to do any sort of shorter team swing/day trading.

Except the FTSE is not Europe and it is a terrible poor index to look at even in the best of times.

And a part from being a general economic indicator, indexes have very little impact on individual investments in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Only stocks I hold in euro are Airbus and Nokia.

Might add Sanofi and Total. Although either haven't moved much, there's room for recovery in Total. More of a hedge than anything.

I hold about 20 US stocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭hottipper

Maybe Siemens Gamesa Renewable Energy could be of interest $sgre (wait for a retrace as its gone on a run recently)
    Think they half spanish/german
    https://www.siemensgamesa.com/en-int
    https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/08/where-solar-wind-power-are-thriving
    https://www.rechargenews.com/transition/siemens-gamesa-launches-revolutionary-thermal-storage-pilot/2-1-619939

also part of the disrupt ETF along with these:
    | Ticker | Holdings |
    +
    +
    +
    | SQ - Square Inc | 1.46% |
    | SEDG - Solaredge Technologies Inc | 1.42% |
    | SGRE - Siemens Gamesa Renewable Energy SA | 1.39% |
    | FSLR - First Solar Inc | 1.35% |
    | ADT - ADT Inc | 1.31% |
    | VWS - Vestas Wind Systems A/S | 1.27% |
    | STNE - StoneCo Ltd | 1.24% |
    | BRKS - Brooks Automation Inc | 1.24% |
    | SPOT - Spotify Technology SA | 1.24% |
    | ABMD - ABIOMED Inc | 1.15% |
    | ALGN - Align Technology Inc | 1.15% |
    | 916 - China Longyuan Power Group Corp Ltd | 1.13% |
    | ABB - Abb Ltd | 1.13% |
    | RSW - Renishaw PLC | 1.12% |
    | ISRG - Intuitive Surgical Inc | 1.12% |
    +
    +
    +

• Advertisement

Another EU one worth investigating is probably zalando

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bernardmarr/2019/09/20/the-amazing-ways-retail-giant-zalando-is-using-artificial-intelligence/

I was at the dublin tech summit last year and found there talk interesting, worth a look, they may even have offices here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

Didn't reply to you about the Vaxart and the Inovio Pharmaceuticals, Inc.

I bought and sold Vaxart shorly after buying it when it poped 50%. It's on the slide since but is still firmly on my radar. I like the prospects of both longer term but the trials are expensive as and both need further funding. Expect them to trade exceptionally volatile. The plasma news today was a total non event IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

Would you be willing to share some decent US dividend stocks that you feel are decent.

I’m new to shares but been slowly trying to buy up a few and found myself focusing on Dividebd stocks.

Right now I have a few IBM, EPD, Coca Cola, AT&T and Enbridge (CAD)... any others worth a look?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Is it accurate that Johnson and Johnson have agreed to develop and sell a vaccine on a not for profit basis?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Would you be willing to share some decent US dividend stocks that you feel are decent.

I’m new to shares but been slowly trying to buy up a few and found myself focusing on Dividebd stocks.

Right now I have a few IBM, EPD, Coca Cola, AT&T and Enbridge (CAD)... any others worth a look?
    You're giving half of your divy away in tax.

Better to focus on growth, unless near retirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭whatever76

Taylor365 wrote: »
    You're giving half of your divy away in tax.

Better to focus on growth, unless near retirement.

+1 to this - I have work shares and have to declare the dividend in form 11 that I get every year - the tax man takes 52% of it ! Killer having to pay it !

I'm retired and my income has dropped to a level where I am taxed at 20% on dividends, which makes them attractive to me.

I hold AT&T myself, and have PEP, MDT, MMM, ABBV, AQN, BMY, MO, INTC, PPL and JNJ.
    ALso hold BATS, UNLVR and IAG.

Most were purchased at lower levels than today's prices.

In addition I have small holdings in a few growth stocks and a couple of SPACS as well.

None of the above is investment advice, just a list of some of my stock holdings.

GL in your journey.

I'm retired and my income has dropped to a level where I am taxed at 20% on dividends, which makes them attractive to me.

I hold AT&T myself, and have PEP, MDT, MMM, ABBV, AQN, BMY, MO, INTC, PPL and JNJ.

In addition I have small holdings in a few growth stocks and a couple of SPACS as well.

None of the above is investment advice, just a list of some of my stock holdings.

GL in your journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

GL in your journey.

It really all depends on your personal situation vis-à-vis tax.

Speaking for myself, I wouldn't buy a companies shares solely for dividend, I would always have some expectation of capital growth too and see
    dividend as more the icing on the cake.... When I see a dividend payment pop up on my account though, I get a warm fuzzy feeling.

I can't really suggest any additions to the above lists, unless maybe a REIT? and perhaps some diversification to EU or Asia.

interesting IPO coming up soon
    https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1640147/000162828020013010/snowflakes-1.htm

Impressive list of customers shame about the name :pac:, anybody ever used it?
    https://www.snowflake.com/our-customers/

• Advertisement

OwlsZat wrote: »
    Didn't reply to you about the Vaxart and the Inovio Pharmaceuticals, Inc.

I bought and sold Vaxart shorly after buying it when it poped 50%. It's on the slide since but is still firmly on my radar. I like the prospects of both longer term but the trials are expensive as and both need further funding. Expect them to trade exceptionally volatile. The plasma news today was a total non event IMO.

I cut it yesterday and made a loss had plans already for the profits :) but i think alot were chasing the plasma stocks since trumps announcement at the weekend and cut the other ones. Going to stay away from all these ones now its like a lotto :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

It is like the lotto, here is a summary of the vaccine candidates atm.

It’s much more like there’s more than one “winner,” since even the “leading” vaccines are not ideal across all demographics (INO-4800 P1 results were far and away the best, its primary disadvantage being the Cellectra - the delivery device). CanSino is already being issued to the Chinese military, but it reports severe adverse effects and is viral vector, so it faces challenges with efficacy in people with pre-existing immunity and is not ideal for vaccinating people age 55 or older. The UK's Oxford/AZN vaccine is adenovirus, has failed animal trials, and due to the risk of severe adverse effects, reportedly should not be administered more than once (which isn't great when you consider boosting). The adverse effects reports on both MRNA and PFE were terrifying, plus RNA vaccines require cold storage (tropical & subtropical market challenge) so there for all the promise there are still lots of challenges.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭MurDawg

hottipper wrote: »
    interesting IPO coming up soon
    https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1640147/000162828020013010/snowflakes-1.htm

Impressive list of customers shame about the name :pac:, anybody ever used it?
    https://www.snowflake.com/our-customers/

Cracking product - and very much optimised for the cloud.

Should become front runner in data warehousing over the next few years, only problem is the competition is Amazon, Microsoft, Google and MongoDB to an extent. You will get a lot of companies moving from Hadoop and such who will not want to use those competitors however!

Expect their revenue to keep growing - I see a lot of companies turning to this space to replace legacy warehouses. Buy Buy Buy - imo

As always with IPO's - expect volatility, 3-5year hold for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Huge thread on r/stocks about snowflake. I've been waiting for this one for a while. Cloud is trendy, and the stock market is nuts right now. This should be a good one.

I'm saving for a house atm, but I'm going to invest 1K in this on the IPO day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

hottipper wrote: »
    I cut it yesterday and made a loss had plans already for the profits :) but i think alot were chasing the plasma stocks since trumps announcement at the weekend and cut the other ones. Going to stay away from all these ones now its like a lotto :pac:

I am planning to offload them once market opens. These are the ones which I own:
    Namely OPK(-16%),VXRT(-19%),SRNE(-31%),INO(-15%), ONTX(-78%!).

I was up like 40% in SRNE, should had cashed out !!
    Now am down respectively 280 between 5 of them :( You win some and you lose some I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Huge thread on r/stocks about snowflake. I've been waiting for this one for a while. Cloud is trendy, and the stock market is nuts right now. This should be a good one.

I'm saving for a house atm, but I'm going to invest 1K in this on the IPO day.
    Where are you buying this?

I can't find it of degiro or etoro

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Big aquisition in the news by Aveva of OSISoft, 5 billion deal. OSI PI is huge in oil, gas and pharma.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭Shedite27

They don't appear until launched.

Degiro has been late to add a few of them too. Lemonade wasn't available for 2 days after launch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I'm hoping Degiro, but it's not a public company yet. They have just field to go public.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Draftkings up nearly 10% today!

Advertisement