Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭outonawing

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    probably but see further downside before an entry point imo

$40 would be very tempting :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭hottipper

outonawing wrote: »
    I would be hopeful that Intel will turn things around over the next few years.

yeah i agree, Its back to the 200 weekly and has held that every time since 2013
    Could be a profitable longer term investment if your willing to wait it out and not be buying and selling everything like a dog chasing car tyres :p
    Will probably hover about the 50$ mark for a while. Not going rushing into it or anything but i'm going to buy some at some stage.

https://imgur.com/a/gPX57UQ

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

hottipper wrote: »
    yeah i agree, Its back to the 200 weekly and has held that every time since 2013
    Could be a profitable longer term investment if your willing to wait it out and not be buying and selling everything like a dog chasing car tyres :p
    Will probably hover about the 50$ mark for a while. Not going rushing into it or anything but i'm going to buy some at some stage.

https://imgur.com/a/gPX57UQ

if it breaks down from that 200 weekly I can see a big drop into the low to mid 30's

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭DutchYurt

What are people keeping an eye to this week? I missed the boat on cansino with the patent for covid.

The lack of relief fund in the US and the potential 30m homeless made me exit out of alot of my positions last week but I was reading about the executive order to come through so looking to get back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

DutchYurt wrote: »
    What are people keeping an eye to this week?
    $GRWG for me. It's essentially an online Garden Store, but replace flowers with weed. Had a big jump last week, on the back of whopper results. Big expansion plans, and seems quite vogue. Will likely be a short term thing for me, up 10% again today.

• Advertisement

Shedite27 wrote: »
    $GRWG for me. It's essentially an online Garden Store, but replace flowers with weed. Had a big jump last week, on the back of whopper results. Big expansion plans, and seems quite vogue. Will likely be a short term thing for me, up 10% again today.

Best of luck, I backed Aurora two years ago to get into the weed sector and well, that was an awful lesson learned. I can't bring myself to go back into that sector. Still havent recovered from that loss :(

Best of luck, I backed Aurora two years ago to get into the weed sector and well, that was an awful lesson learned. I can't bring myself to go back into that sector. Still havent recovered from that loss :(

Getting flashbacks? :pac:

Getting flashbacks? :pac:

Unfortunately with Degiro no flash back needed its just a big red overall number

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ShareShare

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Why? Do you have the same problems as Buffett - Several billion that you are unable find an opportunity to invest in?

Buffett has been in an augured situation for sometime now, he can't find opportunities big enough to bring a real return to his capital sum. Unlike 99% of investors he has very limited options.

You speak alot of good hard sense Jim, always glad to have you on this board.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭One More Toy

ShareShare wrote: »
    You speak alot of good hard sense Jim, always glad to have you on this board.

Maybe Jim is right, I'm trusting the advice of our Bloomberg terminal representative too much, that most good hedge funds read into Buffet's filings and follow suit

• Advertisement

Not share related technically but what are peoples thoughts on crypto right now? I'm up 600% on chainlink, time for some profit taking?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭dontparkhere

Any thoughts on Rocket Companies?
    New enough to stocks but I’ve picked a lot of what I think are steady long term holds: intel, boi/AIB, IAG, Volkswagen.
    Wouldn’t mind picking up one or two growth stocks to compare against.
    How do you guys on here who are buying and selling stocks very often fare out overall?
    I read one day that Investors who died or who rarely checked their accounts performed best in the long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,010 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

New enough to stocks but I’ve picked a lot of what I think are steady long term holds: intel, boi/AIB, IAG, Volkswagen.
    How do you guys on here who are buying and selling stocks very often fare out overall?
    I read one day that Investors who died or who rarely checked their accounts performed best in the long term.

Wouldnt call IAG/AIB/BOI steady stocks at all. I hold IAG but only got in recently and view it as a punt. Irish banks are a basket case when it comes to sp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

An industrious bunch those dead investors, I tip my hat to them.

Let me guess, they invested in Apple and Amazon in the 90s and haven't checked their accounts since then.

Let me guess, they invested in Apple and Amazon in the 90s and haven't checked their accounts since then.

I don't believe much of that, especially in the states where they have escheat laws

retalivity wrote: »
    Wouldnt call IAG/AIB/BOI steady stocks at all. I hold IAG but only got in recently and view it as a punt. Irish banks are a basket case when it comes to sp

IAG and BOI were bought in the last couple of months and hovered +/- 10% from where I bought them.
    BOI is only 14% state owned, were relatively prudent in the last crisis.
    They could well fall further but will are steady bets over a 5-10 year period imo.
    Aib was my first share mistake to buy and is down over 50%.
    What I can't understand is the likes of tesla having market cap 30% greater than toyota and volkswagen combined.

I don't believe much of that, especially in the states where they have escheat laws

I only heard it on a podcast so I can't stand over it.
    It was study by Fidelity and "dead" investors was an exaggeration to drive home the anecdote on further research. It was investors who forgot about their accounts.
    I won't derail the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Stormington

What I can't understand is the likes of tesla having market cap 30% greater than toyota and volkswagen combined.

That's why it will go higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭jams100

I wish i didn't sell my tesla shares a few months ago, ship has well sailed now, I can see people who buy tesla shares getting burned. It makes no sense they done a stock split (which essentially does nothing meaningful for the company) yet they got a 7% jump from that, for the last while there has been no logic to tesla shares rising, the only thing tesla are far ahead of other competitors on are their potential battery capabilities but in time other car manufacturers like Toyota will catch up. I do really like tesla as a company and product but there market capitalisation is just insane for a company that's really just in the early stages.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Back in the late 80s and early 90s these were high risk moves. But just like today there were enough low risk options to make money.

Back then 20,000 shares of FNF would have averaged between $7-$10, depending on when you choose to increase your position. Between dividends, spin offs and share splits, you'd recovered your capital out lay in less than 3 years and you enjoyed these splits over the years:
    FNFSplit.png

Unfortunately, there are no charts to cover the whole period, but this gives a flavour of what it was like:
    FNFReturn.png

That represented an annualised return of about 18%..... a very nice earner for almost 30 years!

This was a brilliant little company on sale for a song at the time. A mono line insurance with a high barrier to entry and best of all, even if you sold a bad policy the cost of correction was less than the premiums collected.

And of course ResMed was also a solid low risk option to hold from then as well
    rmd.png

And in Switzerland there is not capital gains tax on investing (there is on trading).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Anything like that on your radar these days?

jams100 wrote: »
    I wish i didn't sell my tesla shares a few months ago, ship has well sailed now, I can see people who buy tesla shares getting burned. It makes no sense they done a stock split (which essentially does nothing meaningful for the company) yet they got a 7% jump from that, for the last while there has been no logic to tesla shares rising, the only thing tesla are far ahead of other competitors on are their potential battery capabilities but in time other car manufacturers like Toyota will catch up. I do really like tesla as a company and product but there market capitalisation is just insane for a company that's really just in the early stages.

Stock splits draw in retail investors like ourselves and apparently it's the highest count of retail investors in the market in years. Not that retail investors have a hughe impact compared to industrial but you get the sentiment, there's a video around about it but I can't for the life of me find it.

If shopify S/S 1 to 5 I'd buy 2 shares at at 200 each rather than buy 1 at 1k - just seems more appealing for those without as much capital I guess

Stock splits draw in retail investors like ourselves and apparently it's the highest count of retail investors in the market in years. Not that retail investors have a hughe impact compared to industrial but you get the sentiment, there's a video around about it but I can't for the life of me find it.

If shopify S/S 1 to 5 I'd buy 2 shares at at 200 each rather than buy 1 at 1k - just seems more appealing for those without as much capital I guess

Yeah it's easier to add regularly to a stock that's in the $100-$300 range. Not many retail investors would be able to but a four figure stock with their monthly investment

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Stormington

Yeah it's easier to add regularly to a stock that's in the $100-$300 range. Not many retail investors would be able to but a four figure stock with their monthly investment

Fractional shares are a thing now.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭jams100

You can already buy fractional shares on Revolut and trading212 as far as I'm aware. Either way, there is no justifying a 7% jump in share price from just a stock split, then again there's no justifying a lot of things the stock market has done in recent times :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Fractional shares are a thing now.

They sure are, as in some of the shares I've bought are worth fractions of what I paid for them :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

I bought 2 Tesla shares at $1650 with a view to sell the day before Battery day. Helps that the stock split was a catalyt so far. Was hoping for around 2k of the old price come Battery day but it might hit 2k today/tomorrow. I am expecting a retracement though.

DKNG up 7%, anyone know why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Atlas_IRL wrote: »
    I bought 2 Tesla shares at $1650 with a view to sell the day before Battery day. Helps that the stock split was a catalyt so far. Was hoping for around 2k of the old price come Battery day but it might hit 2k today/tomorrow. I am expecting a retracement though.

I'd say everyone will have the same idea so sell 2 or 3 days before battery day.

Advertisement