Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

Yes, if you buy the day before and keep it until the trade opens next day you get the dividend, however, the Ex Div date is not advised in advance.

Ex Dividend date is usually included with the Dividend announcement and this is normally during results. Eg. Quarterly, half year, interim, full year etc. at least for the companies I deal in (Ireland & UK) the ex dividend date is always a future date (so it is announced in advance)

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭timetogo1

I use Seeking Alpha to track my portfolio. Once you enter your tickers you can go to the Dividends tab and sort by Ex-Div or Payment dates. It's nice to see a pile of dividends coming in over the next couple of months (before you account for tax).

Here's the view for MSFT as an example
    https://seekingalpha.com/symbol/MSFT/dividends/scorecard

If you want to get the dividend on a stock you have to own the stock the day before the Ex-Dividend date until the day after Record date. It's normally a day or two in the difference but it can be a couple of days.

https://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/042915/what-difference-between-record-date-and-exdividend-date.asp

There's a thing called Dividend Capture that everybody thinks they're the first to think of (I did anyway). Buy before the Ex date and sell after the Record date and get money for nothing. Yay.
    Doesn't work though. The price of the share drops by the dividend amount and it may / or may not recover.
    You will end up paying tax on the dividend you make and could lose the amount that the share drops.
    It works some of the time but not enough to make it worthwhile. I tracked a few stocks in spreadsheets for a while using this method and I wouldn't have made money out of it.

bcklschaps wrote: »
    Ex Dividend date is usually included with the Dividend announcement and this is normally during results. Eg. Quarterly, half year, interim, full year etc. at least for the companies I deal in (Ireland & UK) the ex dividend date is always a future date (so it is announced in advance)

You're right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Do you think the ecb will follow the Fed's suit in relation to inflation? If so, is gold a good buy now?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,018 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

EDESA's ($EDSA) Covid19 applicable respiratory therapy passes the 30 day FDA IND notification period this weekend, so should be expected to spike Monday assuming no news today. Some investors got burned on the 30th of July when the company announced they were applying for IND and eventually fell back hard, so shares at a price worth taking a look.

Thanks for the tip. Up 22% today.

• Advertisement

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Thanks for the tip. Up 22% today.

Up 41% as of now. I'm going to hold - there's two events that will drive it higher. The official IND FDA approval. Plus Government grant application to fund the NDA. I might consider selling some at $30.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Up 41% as of now. I'm going to hold - there's two events that will drive it higher. The official IND FDA approval. Plus Government grant application to fund the NDA. I might consider selling some at $30.

What timeframe do you have in mind?

Rothmans wrote: »
    What timeframe do you have in mind?

Depending on the Canadian Government funding. It might take a month (if at all) Or it could all come out on Monday. A NDA normally takes 3 years and a lot of money to develop. It might get expedited considering. I would say Edesa would sell on at some stage. I would probably keep some shares long term. They also have other drugs in the pipeline of development, but obviously the main one is EB05

https://www.edesabiotech.com/clinical-pipeline/

Depending on the Canadian Government funding. It might take a month (if at all) Or it could all come out on Monday. A NDA normally takes 3 years and a lot of money to develop. It might get expedited considering. I would say Edesa would sell on at some stage. I would probably keep some shares long term. They also have other drugs in the pipeline of development, but obviously the main one is EB05

https://www.edesabiotech.com/clinical-pipeline/

Many thanks. Do you reckon it would still be a good buy Monday afternoon when the market opens? As in, do you see further appreciation in the next few weeks also? Would it be worth a punt in the short term at its current price?

Rothmans wrote: »
    Many thanks. Do you reckon it would still be a good buy Monday afternoon when the market opens? As in, do you see further appreciation in the next few weeks also? Would it be worth a punt in the short term at its current price?

It depends, if it rockets pre-market because of news release I'd say no. Probably not in that case. Be careful though, as it's a very small cap which means big swings.

• Advertisement

It depends, if it rockets pre-market because of news release I'd say no. Probably not in that case. Be careful though, as it's a very small cap which means big swings.

Thank you. I'll keep an eye on it so. If the pre market pushes it way up I'll be sure to keep clear. Thanks for the advice !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭AmberGold

EDESA's ($EDSA) Covid19 applicable respiratory therapy passes the 30 day FDA IND notification period this weekend, so should be expected to spike Monday assuming no news today. Some investors got burned on the 30th of July when the company announced they were applying for IND and eventually fell back hard, so shares at a price worth taking a look.

Good one, kicking myself I only picked up 500

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭riddles

Hi,

I cant seem to see where theres a history of lodgement\transfers in Degiro - any hints would be appreciated?
    Thanks,
    R

riddles wrote: »
    Hi,

I cant seem to see where theres a history of lodgement\transfers in Degiro - any hints would be appreciated?
    Thanks,
    R

You can run a statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,115 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Got some surprise when logged onto Degiro today.
    Apple stock splitting today, Degiro just showed that my investment in them had quadrupled. Will obviously correct once the market opens....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,303 ✭✭✭positron

Lol, I see that too - I am tempted to place a sell order..! :D

dinneenp wrote: »
    Got some surprise when logged onto Degiro today.
    Apple stock splitting today, Degiro just showed that my investment in them had quadrupled. Will obviously correct once the market opens....

+6k here! Haha

As I suspected would happen, Degiro 'sold' my apple shares and immediately 'bought back.

No way am I reporting that as a sale of cgt purposes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

Anyone going in on zoom earnings tonight?
    Be very interesting to see their conversion to paid subscribers. Very surprised analyst are taking the 45cent eps guidance as expectation. Isnt it usually on the low side when given by a company? So they can beat expectations?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,115 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Tesla split also-
    so according to Degiro I have 5 times the amount of Tesla shares but it still showing me the old price.
    I'M RICH, RICH I TELL YOU! (I wish).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

As I suspected would happen, Degiro 'sold' my apple shares and immediately 'bought back.

No way am I reporting that as a sale of cgt purposes

Do we have to report it for cgt purposes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

dinneenp wrote: »
    Tesla split also-
    so according to Degiro I have 5 times the amount of Tesla shares but it still showing me the old price.
    I'M RICH, RICH I TELL YOU! (I wish).

lol im showing +15k will probably correct once market opens,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

Atlas_IRL wrote: »
    lol im showing +15k will probably correct once market opens,

See what happens if you place a withdraw :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

manonboard wrote: »
    See what happens if you place a withdraw :D

Same for me with Apple and Tesla splits. Probably as green as my account ever will be...!!! Am afraid to touch it today just in case...))

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭DutchYurt

I go on holidays for 5 days and I missed this boat... dammit!

Reckon it has a way to go yet or have a missed it entirely?

DutchYurt wrote: »
    I go on holidays for 5 days and I missed this boat... dammit!

Reckon it has a way to go yet or have a missed it entirely?

It's bouncing between 9.3 and 10 $ pre-news for the last half hour.

$10 is proving a major obstacle. But, so was 8.6 and 9. It could end up near 11 or 9 depending on FOMO before the bell. But post news it should spike potentially beyond $20 very quickly. Would I buy now, possibly wait to see if it deeps back towards 9.30 again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

Like a complete idiot I sold my Tesla last monday after it took a dip - missed out on about 20% gain. I'm never selling a stock ever again.

I think Amazon will be looking closely at how Tesla and Apple fair with the splits and might follow suit, so picked one up today.

It's bouncing between 9.3 and 10 $ pre-news for the last half hour.

$10 is proving a major obstacle. But, so was 8.6 and 9. It could end up near 11 or 9 depending on FOMO before the bell. But post news it should spike potentially beyond $20 very quickly. Would I buy now, possibly wait to see if it deeps back towards 9.30 again.

Thanks for the input, im recovering from a loss from 2 years ago still so keeping my eyes peeled for these kind of opportunities! UMC is the other one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

PSTI a long time favourite of mine looks soon to breakout. DYODD.

• Advertisement

bfa1509 wrote: »
    Like a complete idiot I sold my Tesla last monday after it took a dip - missed out on about 20% gain. I'm never selling a stock ever again.

I think Amazon will be looking closely at how Tesla and Apple fair with the splits and might follow suit, so picked one up today.

I sold my shares for BE - they then announced a partnership, followed by entering the hydrogen market. 100% increase.. missed out on all of it, I feel your pain.

Advertisement