Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭jinish

One more scenario
    Just for examiple sake lets take a share A

Date bought Price Date Sold Price Profit/loss
    01/06/2020 10 04/06/2020 12 2
    08/06/2020 12 12/06/2020 10 -2
    14/06/2020 8 15/06/2020 9 1
    16/06/2020 15 18/06/2020 14 -1
    20/06/2020 10 21/06/2020 8 -2
    23/06/2020 12 26/06/2020 15 3
    28/06/2020 15 29/06/2020 19 4
    01/07/2020 13 02/07/2020 12 -1
    04/07/2020 12 04/07/2020 13 1
    05/07/2020 11 06/07/2020 9 -2
    08/07/2020 10 12/07/2020 14 4
    14/07/2020 13 18/07/2020 16 3
    Total Profit 10

so when I file CGT how revenue could possibly tell which trade related to which profit/loss.
    Can I not offset the loss I faced on 08/6 from towards tax after 28 days (in this case 8/7).
    If I continue this through out the year for different shares could I not probably offset all my losses against the gain when it comes to the CGT?
    Am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

You can out what you like in the computation but if revenue come-a-knocking you'll need back up to support your calculations.
    In the like of DeGiro they will send out a statement for every year.

As for offsetting - the rule is essentially - you can't use losses on disposals to offset other gains if the share whose loss you are using, you buy back within 28 days.

You buy 50 shares for 10 = 500
    they drop to 5 - you sell them and use the 250 loss to offset other gains.
    A week later they drop to 1 - you buy another 50.
    You've saved 80 quid (250 * 33) by offsetting the loss and bought the same amount of shares now for 50. You've made a profit of 30 odd euro.
    That's why the 28 day rule exists.

Hello jinish,

Have you considered Revenue may consider you a trader and charge you income tax instead of CGT.

More knowledgeable people on the specifics of trading might jump in. But, if you have 100s of trades on the go, I'd be surprised if you were treated as having a CGT liability, rather an IT Liability.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Am i right in thinking also that you can't count a loss if you sell the share within 4 weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,066 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Meleftone wrote: »
    Anybody looking at PLUG? Tempted to buy a few.

Bought at $1.35 in Feb 2019, sold at $2 a month later. Should have held on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭liamoreilly

... I bought shares in WT BRENT CRUDE SEC about 3 months ago... For some reason the price hasn't been updating recently...It seems last time it was updated was on June 20th and was €15.67...
    ...I am now unable to sell them, and when I tried to buy 1 to see, it says it is no longer available... What would be the reason for this...Could they be delisted? And if yes, what if anything can I do?...
    ...I'm using Degiro FYI...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

... I bought shares in WT BRENT CRUDE SEC about 3 months ago... For some reason the price hasn't been updating recently...It seems last time it was updated was on June 20th and was €15.67...
    ...I am now unable to sell them, and when I tried to buy 1 to see, it says it is no longer available... What would be the reason for this...Could they be delisted? And if yes, what if anything can I do?...

Google says it was delisted on 11/6/2020

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

got some $SOLO recently, their new 3 wheeler looks mad

• Registered Users Posts: 16 droimlis

Regarding delisting so long as the price hasn't dropped under 1 you should be able to sell it on Degiro just not buy any more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

Anyone looked into BYFC, apparently with Blackout going on July 7th, investors expect this stock to rocket. It has already jumped 20% pre market

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    got some $SOLO recently, their new 3 wheeler looks mad

Man, when a companies website has it's Nasdaq ticker front & centre on their product offering, it worries me that they're focusing on the wrong things.

Man, when a companies website has it's Nasdaq ticker front & centre on their product offering, it worries me that they're focusing on the wrong things.

probably, but when my holding of SOLO is up 40% since I bought them, I really dont care

the 3 gun stocks I posted about a few weeks ago, $RGR, $SWBI and $VSTO havent really looked back

I see NIO are motoring again in pre-market. Sales are up a bit - still way off where they need to be but they seem to be gaining a decent foothold in their own market. My patience and faith has paid and I'm inclined to leave them LT. Everything EV is flying recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

Bob Harris wrote: »
    I see NIO are motoring again in pre-market. Sales are up a bit - still way off where they need to be but they seem to be gaining a decent foothold in their own market. My patience and faith has paid and I'm inclined to leave them LT. Everything EV is flying recently.

EV is the future - need big patience and 5-10 year hold times.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭HelloYoungBoy

Atlas_IRL wrote: »
    EV is the future - need big patience and 5-10 year hold times.

Anyone else in on NIO? Any opinions?

its flying pre market already
    I'm only in SOLO at the moment but NIO is another on my radar

Dont forget WKHS aswell, but I'd be inclined not to jump in now as its going extremely over bought...next dip ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭jams100

Going to buy another share in Alphabet today (Goog).
    Long term its a safe bet as they have their cloud segment and are also going to benefit from companies boycotting the likes of Facebook, Instagram etc. and maybe advertising on google or YouTube instead. (even if that's only a short term scenario).
    They also haven't accelerated past their one year high as some have for little reason

They've been around a few years and will sell about 40,000 cars this year. Not at Tesla's level yet but in China where the wealthy middle class population is forecast for strong growth they should be able to exploit this.
    They burn a fair bit of cash but have strong backing and in Asia at least they should be a fairly big player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

Picked up a little Cemi earlier at 3.27

Seemed a reasonable enough punt looking at 52 week low, I.e. pre COVID level.

Took a huge plummet over past couple of weeks after FDA removed their temporary approval, but felt that might be more a knee jerk reaction of short term investors and that this might recover enough turn a profit.

This one is moving this morning, up 17% a the moment. Might keep rising (hopefully)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

jams100 wrote: »
    Going to buy another share in Alphabet today (Goog).
    Long term its a safe bet as they have their cloud segment and are also going to benefit from companies boycotting the likes of Facebook, Instagram etc. and maybe advertising on google or YouTube instead. (even if that's only a short term scenario).
    They also haven't accelerated past their one year high as some have for little reason

Another way to look at it is that Google could be next on the list, as the lobbying groups which are currently trying to pressure personal content publishers (using advertisers as a proxy) won't make an exception for Google.

At the end of the day I think this will likely go away, but I would be cautious seeing it as tailwind for Google because they haven't been affected yet (Youtube is a prime target for these lobbying groups).

In the space of large tech stocks, IMO the likes of Microsoft and Apple (and to some extend Amazon) are the most insulated ones as they don't operate any massive personal content publishing platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,885 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

ATHs all over the place again, is anyone still expecting a crash?

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭peterofthebr

..again..jobs numbers are somewhat bogus - you could be in 3 parttime jobs but you added 3 new jobs to the economy!. I dont see a crash myself (not with the FED ready to step in) except maybe in Nov? but their could be another 'corrrection' prob not as good as March. Covid cases are still going up so what will happen to small businesses if certain areas need to close doors again. all this covid is bad news for Trumps election if he was to loose in Nov i think the market might crash overnight. But as USA Market is so important to the usa national interests it will be protected from a full crash...
    personally im a long term investor and still happy to sit on the sidelines for a bit more. i have gold so putting some money to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Thargor wrote: »
    ATHs all over the place again, is anyone still expecting a crash?

No. Back DCI'ing into S&P.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭Shedite27

5th test of 3150 level of S&P in 3 weeks, it's gonna break through eventually. Any "crash" in the past few months has been bought up the next day. Can't see any news at this stage that's gonna take it down anytime soon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

This one is moving this morning, up 17% a the moment. Might keep rising (hopefully)

CEMI kinda soaring now, up almost 30%, still more than half the day to go. Sentiment seems to be that the News they will release on Monday evening should be good (else they wouldn’t have announced that they would be making an announcement lol). Anyone else in on CEMI with some opinions?

somebody tell $SOLO to slow down.........

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    somebody tell $SOLO to slow down.........

cant even access their website. Any basis for the gains?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

cant even access their website. Any basis for the gains?

Because the market heard that I sold out on Monday at $2.50 , hence a rise to $3.50 on the following days was inevitable :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭HelloYoungBoy

Bob Harris wrote: »
    They've been around a few years and will sell about 40,000 cars this year. Not at Tesla's level yet but in China where the wealthy middle class population is forecast for strong growth they should be able to exploit this.
    They burn a fair bit of cash but have strong backing and in Asia at least they should be a fairly big player.

Got in today under $9. Here for the long term ride, let’s see where it takes us

Advertisement