Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst/Best Radio Ads rerun edition!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭fg1406

The Quotedevil ad that is played 5 or 6 times an hour on today fm. It must be a human rights violation to have that played that many times a day for months on end.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

I don't know why but the Mini advert where he says visit your mini 'retailer' really irks me. Garage, supplier, showroom etc would be apt terms, 'retailer' makes it sound like something you just pop into the shop for, expendable and an accessory, which, in fairness I guess a lot of people probably buy for.

But a 'go cart experience'?!! This is the 2021 Mini we're talking about right, not the 1960's!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,960 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Pat Kenny's book club, something about a brutal murder of being stabbed a gazillion times with cheery background muzak.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭crazy 88

Pat Kenny's book club, something about a brutal murder of being stabbed a gazillion times with cheery background muzak.

And every other book he does also seems to have an extremely morbid theme. Time to change the music Pat

• Registered Users Posts: 39,065 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Hyundai's latest ad with the voice-over guy saying "The IT says Hyundai have a shyt on their hands with this one."
    Umm... no.
    Put your teeth in.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

Dickie10 wrote: »
    "If I could catcha eh in a jaaaaaa, or crush like a fly..." what the hell is up with that childs accent /voice? was he on a skoda ad one time too?

See they’ve changed the telly ad version to someone who can pronounce their ‘R’s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭crazy 88

The music in the Slieve Russell hotel ad

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭All that fandango

The Ballinter Hotel ad on at the moment. The wah he says Ballinter makes me think of the word splinter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

The Ballinter Hotel ad on at the moment. The wah he says Ballinter makes me think of the word splinter.

Is the ad about Bellinter House in Meath? Or is there a Ballinter Hotel somewhere?

Living nearby most people I know would pronounce it similar to "splinter" too....

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭electricus

Someone at Specsavers forgot their glasses and hearing aids the day they signed off on legless Larry and his annoying mate.

• Advertisement

Yer one from Cork whose mammy fell and lay for ages on the floor, sounded convincingly "devastated".

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Maryanne40

Yer one from Cork whose mammy fell and lay for ages on the floor, sounded convincingly "devastated".

I'm so glad someone else said it. I detest this ad....

1. She says she's devastated, but certainly doesn't sound it

and

2. She calls her mother 'Mum' and yet she has a country accent (maybe Cork as you said.) Perhaps a 20 something Corkonian might call their mother 'Mum' but if 'Mum' is old enough to require care, daughter has to be in her 50's....and virtually nobody in their 50's in Ireland calls their mother 'Mum' espcially not with that accent!

and

3. It has caused me to be so irritated that I've actually spent 5 minutes of my life writing this...

And no, I can't think who the ad is for, which is probably just as well!!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Mr.CoolGuy

1. She says she's devastated, but certainly doesn't sound it

and

2. She calls her mother 'Mum' and yet she has a country accent (maybe Cork as you said.) Perhaps a 20 something Corkonian might call their mother 'Mum' but if 'Mum' is old enough to require care, daughter has to be in her 50's....and virtually nobody in their 50's in Ireland calls their mother 'Mum' espcially not with that accent!

Plenty in Cork say mum or mom. It's not considered weird here. (East cork is really the only place that uses mam)

She does sound like she's fighting back a laugh though. You can practically see the smirk on her face. Strange ad

The MG advert, harking back to the nostalgic age of the British sports car, bit of 60's music and all to set the tone and a youthful exuberant voiceover.

Pity the MG of then and that of now couldn't be further apart, an MG badge stuck on some generic Chinese family wagon does not make a quintessential British icon.

Talkin' 'bout my generation?

8DPfijw.jpg

4EojRO3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

electricus wrote: »
    Someone at Specsavers forgot their glasses and hearing aids the day they signed off on legless Larry and his annoying mate.

The voiceover guy has such an annoying 'comedy' voice...such wierd intonation and pronunciation. Really bugs me!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭Dickie10

The voiceover guy has such an annoying 'comedy' voice...such wierd intonation and pronunciation. Really bugs me!

YES and YES. I thought it was just me that heard such a strange accent /voice. Sounds like he would be making very wide mouthing actions as he speaks. He seems to have this extremely annoying accent similar to John Kilrayne from RTE news, half British half dublin its awful way worse than D4 accent. Pascal Donoghue has something vaguely similar as does Nora Casey, diffenite tinge of "I lived in London in my 20s" off it. Sharon Horgan has the same accent British/East Meath. There always condescending bitches with that accent. Ray Shah same accent could he be one leg Larrys mate?

WE SWAPPED TALDI

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

WE SWAPPED TALDI

Another stupid Ad where it ends by saying the family were paid a gratuity - i.e basically they were paid to wax lyrical about our store so no faith should be placed in anything that they say. :rolleyes:

The Hyundai Tucson - deadpan voiceover with a background track that sounds like a keyboard player on bad acid.

SpitfireIV wrote: »
    The MG advert, harking back to the nostalgic age of the British sports car, bit of 60's music and all to set the tone and a youthful exuberant voiceover.

Pity the MG of then and that of now couldn't be further apart, an MG badge stuck on some generic Chinese family wagon does not make a quintessential British icon.

8DPfijw.jpg

4EojRO3.jpg
    Leyland had bastardised the MG badge and legacy long before, by sticking an extra carb and a badge on the Morris 1300. Same with Rover. An extra injector or two does not a sprots car make.

• Advertisement

SpitfireIV wrote: »

8DPfijw.jpg

4EojRO3.jpg

Another identikit mommy mobile, indistinguishable from every other one of these fugly things that infest the roads.
    Rebelliousness in vehicle form indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

That leasing company ad with Jamie Heaslip. You'd think he couldn't become more annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Cole

Wait for it...yes, I've got a positive opinion on an ad.

I like the AA insurance dog lad..."if I'd two tails, I'd wag them"

Its kind of sad that they need public service ads now to instruct clueless parents on stopping being 'friends' to their children, catering to their every whim, to actually grow a pair and parent properly.

No treats, that's told them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Cole

That fcuking Horse Racing Ireland ad. It seems to be on a fecking loop when listening via the RTE radio app...driving me nuts

• Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Keelings are so wholesome aren’t they? Gonna save the Bees and in turn save the world.

I’m not a green head but any measure but I can only imagine the amount of pesticide they have to use.

ShagNastii wrote: »
    Keelings are so wholesome aren’t they? Gonna save the Bees and in turn save the world.

I’m not a green head but any measure but I can only imagine the amount of pesticide they have to use.

Virtue signalling, getting on the band wagon because it's seen as a worthy and just cause to be involved with. Just like the AIB adverts 'we pledge to do more' nonsense. Green agenda is high on the priority list so of course marketers are going to play that card, it generally involves children too as apparently they're going to save the world......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,999 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    The Hyundai Tucson - deadpan voiceover with a background track that sounds like a keyboard player on bad acid.

It's very rare a radio ad would annoy me a lot, I'll just turn the volume down for ones like Bernard O'Shea shouting about groceries. This Hyundai one though is the worst I've ever heard, I'll change the station straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭Dickie10

its the constant awful noise in that one like a terrible alarm clock, that cant be good for people with autism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,621 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

That dog food one is terrible. Didn’t think it would last this long.

I know it’s wrong but I do miss that ‘it’s a doddle’ one from awhile back.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Advertisement