Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you just "don't get"?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Remember before lockdown if you walked arond on a weekend morning you would see discarded clothes, male and female all over the place.
    Shoes, t shirts, jeans, underwear, hanging from trees sometimes.

No, can't say that I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Remember before lockdown if you walked arond on a weekend morning you would see discarded clothes, male and female all over the place.
    Shoes, t shirts, jeans, underwear, hanging from trees sometimes.

One time I saw a full set of male clothing, shoes and all at the side of the road.
    What does the chung wuns be at at all?

That was the clothes line in your Mam's garden I'd say. You probably were still disoriented from your own excess the night before.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭AlphabetCards

js35 wrote: »
    Lip fillers...they look awful

I'll go further than that, make-up in general is gash.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

People saying newborn kids look like their Father/Mother.

"He has your nose." No he doesn't. In time, he might.

A new-born is basically a ball of flesh-coloured Playdoh with limbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,813 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

J. Marston wrote: »
    People saying newborn kids look like their Father/Mother.

"He has your nose." No he doesn't. In time, he might.

A new-born is basically a ball of flesh-coloured Playdoh with limbs.

And to follow on from that, when people say 'Oh s/he is beautiful' and it blatantly obvious it's a spud with eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Not sure if this belongs here or the Unpopular Opinions thread (also unsure if it has been mentioned here already) but I really don't get this fascination everyone seems to have lately with this Tiger King rubbish. It's the biggest steaming pile of sh!t I ever came across. Watched a few episodes and had to turn it off it was so bad, so many unlikeable d!ckheads in it too. The internet and social media **** themselves silly with TK memes, you'd swear it was the best thing ever made. If it wasn't for so many people being stuck in with lockdown restrictions I believe it would've just been another forgettable mini-series on Netflix.
    If I see another clown trying to be funny with a "tHaT bItCh cArOlE bAsKiN..." post/meme, I'll scream :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Cake Man wrote: »
    Not sure if this belongs here or the Unpopular Opinions thread (also unsure if it has been mentioned here already) but I really don't get this fascination everyone seems to have lately with this Tiger King rubbish. It's the biggest steaming pile of sh!t I ever came across. Watched a few episodes and had to turn it off it was so bad, so many unlikeable d!ckheads in it too. The internet and social media **** themselves silly with TK memes, you'd swear it was the best thing ever made. If it wasn't for so many people being stuck in with lockdown restrictions I believe it would've just been another forgettable mini-series on Netflix.
    If I see another clown trying to be funny with a "tHaT bItCh cArOlE bAsKiN..." post/meme, I'll scream :mad:

I just finished it last night.
    Found it very very dark. Not just for the content but for the idea behind it and just what exactly must have gone on to find so many unlikable people one after the next to appear on such a show.
    Were they all sociopaths or wannabe actors or just to get their 15 minutes that lead them to participate as they did?
    Every single person who spoke on screen seemed to be messed up in some way or another.

When the 70+ year old detective with the heavily dyed hair and eyebrows appeared I nearly stopped watching. At that point I just thought this is too much. And it got worse.

And to top it all, in the middle of the current pandemic, some journalist saw fit to ask Donald Trump at what are crisis press conferences about Joe asking him to pardon him. Found the whole thing unnerving.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Given the amount of people praising it, a definite unpopular opinion. Loved it myself but each to their own obviously. Thought it was great entertainment. The amount of memes around is it very annoying but I guess that's just the timing of it, people have more free time in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Penfailed

And to top it all, in the middle of the current pandemic, some journalist saw fit to ask Donald Trump at what are crisis press conferences about Joe asking him to pardon him.

The journalist didn't ask Trump to pardon Joe Exotic.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

How come some users are marked as 'banned' under their username yey they are still posting away no problem :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Rothko wrote: »
    No, can't say that I do.
    You have to be up early before the council come round and clean up or else a bank holiday monday when they aren't working.
    The amount of chip bags and rubbish is really bad too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,765 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

That "groomed" look.

If you look like huge sums of money and hours of time were spent to give you that look, then you are trying to hard to achieve the wrong thing, imo.

Surely the idea of grooming is to look good - not to look "groomed".

Also, heavily groomed people, generally, offend my sense of smell and I find it unpleasant to be near these people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Cake Man wrote: »

Think of it as Reality TV rather than Documentary and you'll understand its popularity: larger than life characters in contrived conflicts.

As Netflix documentaries are wont to do, honest journalism is sacrificed for a compelling narrative, closer to heavily edited reality TV than actual reality. They cut out Joe Exotic's racism to make him a more engaging and even sympathetic character. They spun the Carole Baskin murdered her husband line when the investigating Sheriff has stated his Department does not "have any type of evidence, not one piece, that suggests that [Lewis] was killed" or that a crime was even committed. Funnily enough the same people assuring me that Baskin "definitely" fed her husband to the Tigers are the same people convinced of Stephen Avery's innocence after watching the equally misleading Making a Murderer.

Also, it shouldn't have been stretched out over as many episodes. If they made it a 2 or 3 parter it would be much better. Netflix does this a lot with its documentaries, like Wild Wild Country or The Devil Next Door.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,959 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

How come some users are marked as 'banned' under their username yey they are still posting away no problem :confused:

I think if you're a paid member, then you can have a customised signature. I suppose a lot of posters though 'banned' was a funny one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭PoisonIvyBelle

I don't get the whole hullabulloo people are making about having to work from home. If you want to talk to someone, call them. If you need to have a meeting, video call or voice call or group chat or whatever. If you're missing your friends outside of work, call them, facetime them, email them. Need a break? Watch a show. Read a book. Walk 2k. Do a home workout. Tidy the house. Dance around to some music (hey,whatever works). Find something new you want to learn how to do.

I understand that because it's already "my" normal it seems strange to me that people are going pscycho over it. But I can understand that and still not get it! Just stay in the fcuking house, be grateful you still have work to do wherever you're doing it from, and stop bloody complaining.

And don't even get me started on the ones dying for a pint. Christ I knew we were a nation of drinkers but my FB notifications looks like an AA cry for help lately.

I don't get the whole hullabulloo people are making about having to work from home. If you want to talk to someone, call them. If you need to have a meeting, video call or voice call or group chat or whatever. If you're missing your friends outside of work, call them, facetime them, email them. Need a break? Watch a show. Read a book. Walk 2k. Do a home workout. Tidy the house. Dance around to some music (hey,whatever works). Find something new you want to learn how to do.

I understand that because it's already "my" normal it seems strange to me that people are going pscycho over it. But I can understand that and still not get it! Just stay in the fcuking house, be grateful you still have work to do wherever you're doing it from, and stop bloody complaining.

And don't even get me started on the ones dying for a pint. Christ I knew we were a nation of drinkers but my FB notifications looks like an AA cry for help lately.

Chances this was written notice by a robot? From 1 to 10?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Yup, I love working from home. Extra sleep, no commute, saving money on dog sitter and petrol. Flexibility in terms of hours. Count my blessings every day I've not been asked to get by on 350 a week. Only really miss shopping. Must have been a complete introvert already!

I don't get people who spend money on designer brands for the sake of being seen with them. Its like being stuck as a teen forever, seeking validation from others based on what you can (or in most cases cant) afford. If something is decent quality then that is different but I dont get brands for the sake of brands.

Chances this was written notice by a robot? From 1 to 10?

I'm very much not a robot. :pac:

If it seems that way to you, you're probably falling more into the hullaulloo camp.;)

I'm very much not a robot. :pac:

If it seems that way to you, you're probably falling more into the hullaulloo camp.;)

No. Pretty sure hullabilloo is just most likely a word from the bot world than the human world

• Registered Users Posts: 30,187 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

What I find about the current situation is.
    Somebody might say. I'd love to go for a coffee, to the salon, for a pint, met friends, etc and then some do good blows the whole thing out of proportion by saying all your being asked is to stay at home on the couch, You grand parents had wars, get over over yourself #stayathome,etc. I honestly don't get why people can make a comment about something they'd like to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭munster87

If you have young kids, working from home can have its disadvantages.

What I find about the current situation is.
    Somebody might say. I'd love to go for a coffee, to the salon, for a pint, met friends, etc and then some do good blows the whole thing out of proportion by saying all your being asked is to stay at home on the couch, You grand parents had wars, get over over yourself #stayathome,etc. I honestly don't get why people can make a comment about something they'd like to do.

Ah now that’s a different story. I get that 100%. I’m talking about people complaining about the massive “adjustment” of working from home.

munster87 wrote: »
    If you have young kids, working from home can have its disadvantages.

Absolutely understand that. But when people do nothing but complain about it l, I have no patience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

On first post, I was this person for a long time (in terms of buying Christmas gifts, not so much other material items). I always spent well over the average just for my immediate family.

I always wanted them to have things that I knew they would love, and I really enjoyed seeing their faces when they unwrapped gifts they were least expecting etc. But, over the years it set a sort of precedent. They got so used to being showered with lovely things at Christmas yet continued to give me random things like cat calendars (who uses these??!) and various bits of tat, and I am sure they told themselves "Oh sure Antares has loads of money" etc. I even got roped into doing other people's shopping for them - "ah sure doesn't Antares work in town anyway so she is near the shops" and often did not get paid for the shopping.

I'd start my shopping in October to avoid last minute panic buying and make sure I could get the things I had noted during the year that they would like - they would do theirs in 2 hours and it would be just grab something for the sake of it.

I always got a load of sh*te from them. It wasn't the fact that the gifts were cheap though, it was that they clearly weren't thought out. As if they don't know me at all.The gifts could literally have been "female, generic, 30 years" - Brother's gifts took the biscuit - it was like he had done a supermarket sweep in Heatons and whatever glitter/ talc/ bubble bath cr*ap he put his hand to first would be my present. :pac:

I'm not being that idiot anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Why have Keith Duffy and Bryan McFadden teamed up.Boyzlife.I thought it was a pisstake at first but its real.
    https://youtu.be/fpQz-U7rSvA

For your enjoyment:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Why its mainly men who are stigmatised for living at home. I remember some of the women slagging me over this in my old job, some of whom were actually living at home themselves. The last time I checked, the accommodation crisis affected both sexes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

I dont have a clue why some people say theyre 5ft12inches...am I missing the joke?
    Why not say 6ft?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

How is Pitbull successful.I really dont get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭micar

People who get their top teeth done...be it capped or whitened but do nothing with their bottom teeth.

Top ones nice and white, bottom ones manky and yellow

Why bother at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Penfailed

micar wrote: »
    People who get their top teeth done...be it capped or whitened but do nothing with their bottom teeth.

Top ones nice and white, bottom ones manky and yellow

Why bother at all

They're probably saving up to get the rest done.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Advertisement