Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you just "don't get"?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

I'll never forget my ex husband exploding with rage at the steering wheel because a smiling driver had just passed by. "What the hell are they smiling about? Fu****g cants!"
    I don't get a sense of that festering begrudgery and malcontent and resentment on the TA thread...seems more like relatively gentle exasperation. But yes, it's also a safety valve for anyone who really is fit to blow!

I'm super happy I don't have any trivial annoyances.

Maybe I need a thread for major worries?

:D

Imo the ta's can sometimes hide the mw's

Imo the ta's can sometimes hide the mw's

Yep. For every "I'm cold" there are some big concerns mentioned alright.

Also negativity can be connected to depression. If every little thing is becoming an issue then something more might be going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

I don't get why so many people feel the need to rush around all the time, and act as though other human beings are little more than obstacles as they go about their Very Important Business. A Very Important Woman audibly sighed at me in Tesco's recently, because the self-service checkout wasn't scanning my Cadbury Creme Egg and I had to enter the barcode manually (anyone who has ever worked in a shop that sells them will know that it's 50201600). So I slowed right down and packed my bag really carefully and methodically. The sighing intensified. So when I finished packing my bag, I decided to buy another Creme Egg. A sound investment.

Anyway, all's well that ends well: I then found out where she lived and sent her a bullet in the post.

It's the same while driving. I always deliberately wait two seconds after the lights turn green. If the car behind beeps aggressively (as opposed to a short 'wake up' beep) or within the first second, I'll give it at least three or... five more seconds before moving off... very slowly.

• Advertisement

Yep. For every "I'm cold" there are some big concerns mentioned alright.

Also negativity can be connected to depression. If every little thing is becoming an issue then something more might be going on.

The second part of your comment especially, is what I was thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

Antares35 wrote: »
    We've one of those in our family (not immediate family thankfully) - they refused to own a buggy, child was strapped to them 24/7. No sugar, no vaccines, no fluoridated water, home-schooled, no bedtime or routine because "children are free spirits" and no discipline or use of the word "no" because it might damage their egos. I could let all of that go since they are not my kids so it isn't my business, but the one thing I don't get is how they are so militant about breastfeeding. It's almost like a cult for the mother. All she talks about, posts about etc.

I mean, we get it breast is best etc. but motherhood is tough enough without making women feel bad about themselves because they choose not to or, for whatever reason are unable to breastfeed. I don't get how nobody has told her to mind her own business by now. I'm due my first in May and I hope to breastfeed but I certainly wont be volunteering for guilt if it doesn't work out. If she even tries to push her agenda on me I will have an answer for her! :)

God I had a cousin who was exactly like this and the child SCREAMED constantly unless it was on the breast so it was either on the tit or screaming.

We had a gathering once where everyone left one by one because the screaming was just getting too much.

Get a ****ing soother missus. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I don't understand the antipathy towards the word "normal". Its not the same thing as conventional, or herd mentality, but if you dare to use that word you could be rebuked with a fairly strong "what's normal anyway?".
    Ever had blood tests done? Im sure you had no issue when the results (hopefully) came back "normal" or within the "normal range".
    Normal = well adjusted, healthy.

I wonder if its just one of those dopey virtuous things people say because they think they're radical free spirits but they're really just parrots mimicking the trendy 'messages'.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Of course people should relax, have downtime etc that doesn't mean people need to be needlessly slow doing everyday tasks, holding others up on the road or footpath etc etc.

What to you is "needlessly slow " might be the only way someone can do something. Patience is a real virtue

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I don't understand the antipathy towards the word "normal". Its not the same thing as conventional, or herd mentality, but if you dare to use that word you could be rebuked with a fairly strong "what's normal anyway?".
    Ever had blood tests done? Im sure you had no issue when the results (hopefully) came back "normal" or within the "normal range".

I wonder if its just one of those dopey virtuous things people say because they think they're radical free spirits but they're really just parrots mimicking the trendy 'messages'.

i can't understand it either ....i was at a trans party yesterday and they went ballistic when i enquired if i was the only normal one here

• Advertisement

Trans sexual or trance music?
    Well I suppose if one thinks of normal as typical or standard, thats inoffensive.

I think its because there are so many different types of people in the world with different internal structures and experiences. Normal used to describe a blood test result works because there are only two ways it can be, normal or not. Individuals are multifaceted.
    My well adjusted and healthy is very different to yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭stratowide

I don't get why so many people feel the need to rush around all the time, and act as though other human beings are little more than obstacles as they go about their Very Important Business. A Very Important Woman audibly sighed at me in Tesco's recently, because the self-service checkout wasn't scanning my Cadbury Creme Egg and I had to enter the barcode manually (anyone who has ever worked in a shop that sells them will know that it's 50201600). So I slowed right down and packed my bag really carefully and methodically. The sighing intensified. So when I finished packing my bag, I decided to buy another Creme Egg. A sound investment.

Anyway, all's well that ends well: I then found out where she lived and sent her a bullet in the post.

It's the same while driving. I always deliberately wait two seconds after the lights turn green. If the car behind beeps aggressively (as opposed to a short 'wake up' beep) or within the first second, I'll give it at least three or... five more seconds before moving off... very slowly.
    While queing in the small basket line I'll always leave a metre of space in front of me.
    Not to give people space..I do it to annoy the person behind me that's breathing fire down my back.

It really works..Drives people nuts.

In fact it's one of my favourite pastimes..:)

I think its because there are so many different types of people in the world with different internal structures and experiences. Normal used to describe a blood test result works because there are only two ways it can be, normal or not. Individuals are multifaceted.
    My well adjusted and healthy is very different to yours.

True but I think its possible to define a basic standard of normality. I would have used it in the context of mental health and a person whose behaviours were self harmful, extreme and not normal by -I would hope-anyone's definition.

If I was suggesting something like their fashion sense indicated mental abnormality then I could understand someone taking umbrage.

True but I think its possible to define a basic standard of normality. I would have used it in the context of mental health and a person whose behaviours were self harmful, extreme and not normal by -I would hope-anyone's definition.

If I was suggesting something like their fashion sense indicated mental abnormality then I could understand someone taking umbrage.

Hmm. Perhaps. I need to ponder.

Within the context of mental health there certainly are behaviours and thoughts that are harmful and well yes not normal. It's not normal to experience suicidal ideation. Although for the person with the thoughts it may be normal.

I could go down a rabbit hole with this. If someone has auditory hallucinations then who are we to suggest they are mentally unwell? Is schizophrenia just a different way of being in the world? I'm just playing around with these ideas. I really don't know what I think about it all.

Its more complex than it looks, and wouldve made a good topic for a chat if they hadnt pulled me up for saying so.ething "wrong".
    I suppose I have a need for a sense of normality as in stability in life. It is an emotive word but that's all I'd mean by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Has Nando's been mentioned yet?

I have tried it a handful of times but meh. Am I doing something wrong that I just don't comprehend the appeal?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

theteal wrote: »

I have tried it a handful of times but meh. Am I doing something wrong that I just don't comprehend the appeal?

the 20 quid snack box :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Hmm. Perhaps. I need to ponder.

Within the context of mental health there certainly are behaviours and thoughts that are harmful and well yes not normal. It's not normal to experience suicidal ideation. Although for the person with the thoughts it may be normal.

I could go down a rabbit hole with this. If someone has auditory hallucinations then who are we to suggest they are mentally unwell? Is schizophrenia just a different way of being in the world? I'm just playing around with these ideas. I really don't know what I think about it all.

If there is a trait that is shared with ~68% of the population, it can be considered normal.

bell_curve.gif

Lefties share the trait with only 10% of the population. Being a leftie is not normal with regards to which hand is dominant, but that does not make the person as a whole not normal, that would be silly.

Taking offense at having a trait that is not normal would make that persons behavior not normal.

It's a little expensive but I do think it's very nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

People dying.Just why?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Marty Xavier

I found Nandos a bit confusing. I was sitting there with my wife and telling here a joke that though could have sounded anti - Chinese it really wasn't , it was taking the piss out of racists but I could see her face drop, like a fucin clown I continued to the end. I became aware there was an asian couple sitting literally 1 meter away from me and they may have well missed the nuances of the joke and just glowered at me.
    Never again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

The spicy sauce, nice and vinegary.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

I 100% agree. Tried it once thought it was disgusting but thought must have gotten it wrong. Then tried it again a few year later + still horrible. Everytime I see queues outside one I shake my head in disbelief. By the way I'm not a food snob or anything I do like some fast food but not nando's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

I found Nandos a bit confusing. I was sitting there with my wife and telling here a joke that though could have sounded anti - Chinese it really wasn't , it was taking the piss out of racists but I could see her face drop, like a fucin clown I continued to the end. I became aware there was an asian couple sitting literally 1 meter away from me and they may have well missed the nuances of the joke and just glowered at me.
    Never again.

What's the joke? If your wife doesn't get your humour by the time you are married, you're f*cked.

Good call on Nando's, its a heap of ****e, like 5 guys its a mystery.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

Yep five guys is another one. At least double the price of say Burger King + actual meat of burger was tasteless + grease sliding all around the wrapper. Disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Don't get me wrong, Nando's is grand and over here (UK) I don't think it's especially expensive, it's just the way some people go on about it you'd swear there was a happy ending with every meal. It's just grilled chicken with a bit of spice mix thrown on. I've left hungry each time I've tried it.

I quite like 5 Guys (again I think it may be cheaper over here than in Ireland) but if it's busy it'snot exactly a difficult decision to pi$$ off somewhere else for lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

Agreed. Average at best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Redneck Reject71

Ipso wrote: »
    The spicy sauce, nice and vinegary.

A proper spicy sauce shouldn't contain vinegar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭TheDavester

People who listen/like Eoghan McDermott

Advertisement