Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you just "don't get"?

Options

Comments

Antares35 wrote: »
    It sounds like her sister in law is very ignorant but yes I still think it isn't the same thing, since one piece of anecdotal evidence does not erode the sheer and undeniable ever present pressure on mothers to breastfeed.

I've also encountered pressure from the natural childbirth crowd. I had an acquaintance draw a sharp intake of breath when I said I wanted an epidural at the admissions desk and to keep whatever drugs were going coming - and plenty of them. Apparently I'm denying myself the experience they think I should have. Not the one I want, mind. Same person is a breastfeeding nazi who called another mother selfish when she stopped bf at four months.

Ignore the extremists. They usually have nothing else going on in their lives, in my observation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Candie wrote: »

Ignore the extremists. They usually have nothing else going on in their lives, in my observation.

This!

And great idea to request the epidural at the admissions desk. I requested mine too late and it didn’t work very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭Millicently

Exactly. The advent of the internet also doesnt help. I feel bombarded much of the time and when anyone asks me my birth plan I simply say "a healthy outcome for us both" :) my consultant told me to read the what to expect book and avoid the internet lol
    My Mum used to say that kids don't come with a manual, nowadays it seems like there are far too many manuals telling parents what they should be doing. All anyone can do is love their kids and do the best that they can. If you think about it, a lot of these pushy militant mums seem to be living through their kids so when the kids grow up and move out these women are going to be left with nothing. So many of them ruin their sons for other women too.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

It sounds like her sister in law is very ignorant but yes I still think it isn't the same thing, since one piece of anecdotal evidence does not erode the sheer and undeniable ever present pressure on mothers to breastfeed.

Is that not just your version of anecdotal evidence as opposed to mine?

Lia_lia wrote: »
    This!

And great idea to request the epidural at the admissions desk. I requested mine too late and it didn’t work very well.

My worst nightmare, Lia. :( I hope the memory has faded!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Is that not just your version of anecdotal evidence as opposed to mine?

I'm not really interested in getting into a pointless debate about it tbh. I think it's safe to say that the pressure to breastfeed extends beyond just my own experience.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 231 ✭✭Martin Lanigan

Posters who don’t support SF and didn’t vote for SF with dozens of posts defending the lady who didn’t pay her rent for years and the anti-Semitic lady tweeter.

People who complain constantly about other people. Be it on public transport, or walking slow, or taking a while to pay at the till, or when driving, or anything really.
    Are you so perfect? Do you not think that we are all doing our best?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Candie wrote: »
    My worst nightmare, Lia. :( I hope the memory has faded!

It has. It’s crazy how the mind works. When people ask me about the labour went now and ask if it hurt I say I remember it as being grand and not very painful. Then I look back at messages to my friends the day I had her saying how painful it was!

Hope all goes well for you.

People who complain constantly about other people. Be it on public transport, or walking slow, or taking a while to pay at the till, or when driving, or anything really.

This post really got me thinking! I am one of those who is easily irked by time wasters and slow coaches and while I like to think I have far more self awareness than some of these people and hence do not cause as much annoyance to others, I am really wondering about that now! :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

It has. It’s crazy how the mind works. When people ask me about the labour went now and ask if it hurt I say I remember it as being grand and not very painful. Then I look back at messages to my friends the day I had her saying how painful it was!

Its so you go on to have more.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Redneck Reject71

The level of viciousness of certain people at work.It's very troubling.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Thought this was a different thread so I'm editing previous comment.

A thing I dont get is how superficial a lot of romances are. To my eye it looks like commonly people dont actually get to know their partner, they merely idealise them according to their own pre conceived notion of a ticklist boxes ticked ideal partner. Then they say they just get bored. But you will keep just getting bored unless you learn real appreciation of other people.

And I don't get the appeal of toast.

And people with no self discipline or concept of certain things being worthwhile either for their own sake or for longer term gratification.

Good old Oxytocin :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,753 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

No.
    Those people are all sh1t at time management.

Or they could be overwhelmed.

I'd definitely be a person who complains about being needlessly slow, drives me insane. Speed up of get out of my way!

I'm not just talking about being slow. The TA thread is full of people giving out about other people, usually strangers to them. Are your nerves that shredded? Take it handy in the world. All will be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭Millicently

For ages we've been told that Idlib is the last ISIS stronghold and yet the media keep trying to persuade us that all the people in Idlib are innocent civilians. I'm sick of propaganda showing kids and the lying White Helmet brigade who are not in any way an official Syrian organisation but a propaganda group who have been caught out using the same kids in various staged attacks and not to mention a few of them having been identified in videos beheading people and laughing about it.

This post really got me thinking! I am one of those who is easily irked by time wasters and slow coaches and while I like to think I have far more self awareness than some of these people and hence do not cause as much annoyance to others, I am really wondering about that now! :/

Most likely yes. You are human too and not immune from annoying others.

• Advertisement

I'm not just talking about being slow. The TA thread is full of people giving out about other people, usually strangers to them. Are your nerves that shredded? Take it handy in the world. All will be ok.

The TA thread is sacred - a safe place for us to whinge about people like this! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

I'd definitely be a person who complains about being needlessly slow, drives me insane. Speed up of get out of my way!

A lot of people are in a big hurry, but going nowhere in life!

Busy people, with important lives... no time to waste. But in reality, quite often very dull boring individuals at the same time.

I like the people that stop to smell the roses. They're often the most interesting people. You can't observe much in this life, if you're always running around with your hair on fire! :P

For me it depends.
    Yesterday I was in a car with a driver who brakes 200 yards before a gentle bend. Drives so slow and haltingly he was overtaken by cyclists. Hes not marvelling at anything, hes just one of life's sloths with no inner drive.

The TA thread is sacred - a safe place for us to whinge about people like this! :D

I don't get whinging either :D

A lot of people are in a big hurry, but going nowhere in life!

Busy people, with important lives... no time to waste. But in reality, quite often very dull boring individuals at the same time.

I like the people that stop to smell the roses. They're often the most interesting people. You can't observe much in this life, if you're always running around with your hair on fire! :P

Of course people should relax, have downtime etc that doesn't mean people need to be needlessly slow doing everyday tasks, holding others up on the road or footpath etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

As somebody who looks outwardly healthy and is still relatively young but who has a damaged pelvis that means I walk slow, the “Why do people walk slow on footpaths?” moans irk me. They’ve no idea what anybody’s health status is, even if the person looks young and healthy. I really wish I could walk faster but I can’t. I understand people feeling momentarily annoyed but whining about it later on? Good lord, they’ve no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭micar

No.
    Those people are all sh1t at time management.

In the shop, the cashier putting it all through says what the total cost and that's when they realise they need money/card to pay for it all (surprise surprise) and they have to go reaching for their wallet/purse.......FFS have it in your hand ready with the money or card.

The same applies queuing behind someone at an ATM. Have been so tempted to say, I've my card in my hand ready and waiting, can I go ahead of you.

All boils down to a lack of forward thinking

As somebody who looks outwardly healthy and is still relatively young but who has a damaged pelvis that means I walk slow, the “Why do people walk slow on footpaths?” moans irk me. They’ve no idea what anybody’s health status is, even if the person looks young and healthy. I really wish I could walk faster but I can’t. I understand people feeling momentarily annoyed but whining about it later on? Good lord, they’ve no problems.

It's probably why it is called the "trivial" things that annoy you thread, in direct recognition and acceptance of the trivial nature of what one is whining about, would be my guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

It's probably why it is called the "trivial" things that annoy you thread, in direct recognition and acceptance of the trivial nature of what one is whining about, would be my guess.

Yes, but one would wonder just how "trivial" these annoyances are, in the mind of those doing the moaning!

There is a lot of very uptight people out there in society... going around with all these little things constantly irritating them. You can see it in many people's faces and general demeanour!

Some of you guys are probably just gonna explode one of these days... you'll just flip over something "trivial", like that scene with Michael Douglas in the movie falling down, when they refuse to serve him from the breakfast menu! All he wanted, was a little breakfast! :D:pac:

43c4dede69ef1063760d0e9933d3a9f5.jpg

• Advertisement

Yes, but one would wonder just how "trivial" these annoyances are, in the mind of those doing the moaning!

There is a lot of very uptight people out there in society... going around with all these little things constantly irritating them. You can see it in many people's faces and general demeanour!

Some of you guys are probably just gonna explode one of these days... you'll just flip over something "trivial", like that scene with Michael Douglas in the movie falling down, when they refuse to serve him from the breakfast menu! All he wanted, was a little breakfast! :D:pac:

43c4dede69ef1063760d0e9933d3a9f5.jpg

Perhaps. I wouldnt speak for anyone else but I find oddly that despite my contributions to the thread, I am actually very happy in my life so far and feel very fulfilled and accomplished. If they are going to explode, then I suppose it's a good thing others have the thread in which to vent, which others are free to ignore if it isnt their thing :)

Advertisement