Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Snap,Frost,Ice,Snow Showers - Saturday December 14th -16th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Where is Kermit...
    Haven't heard from in a while?

mgrszq0coe311.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Villain, that made me LOL, it did.

Today doesn't feel as cold as yesterday.

Edit: because it's 9C duh

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

its not happening,in the greater Dublin area,correct yes.
    only messing, hahaha etc.

Thankfully im not from the greater dublin area

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

pc7 wrote: »
    Snowed in :D

He must be due a ban at this stage :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Hooter23

I look forward to waking up to 1 cm of rain so....;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭lcasey90

torres9kop wrote: »
    Will it snow in Dublin 4 area over the weekend please?

Unfortunately while snow is forecast it will not snow in D4, 5, and 2

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Arpege shows a narrow band of wintryness crossing the country on Saturday:
    arpegeuk-1-55-0.png?12-17

Hirlam looks a bit more hopeful, but much of it could be light and patchy.
    hirlamuk-1-44-0.png?12-17

Icon has a dryer scene with some patchy rain and sleet on Saturday.
    iconeu_uk1-1-53-0.png?12-16

GFS usually overcooks the snow potential, showing some possible wintryness on Saturday.
    57-574UK.GIF?12-12

My guess is most places may see some rain with some flakes mixed in over the weekend, but doesn't look like any of us will be seeing lying snow away from high ground. Looks very marginal.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,481 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

This is ninja snow territory which is best snow. :D

Unfortunately the nature of ninja snow is there are winners and losers based on location.

Upper air temperatures are fine on Saturday combined with freezing level being at a lower height in the atmosphere than usual

hirlamuk-16-45-0.png?12-17

hirlamuk-2-45-0.png?12-17

This will help snow fall to lower levels particular in heavy or prolonged precipitation. Always at this time of year snow will tend to settle as there is very little solar radiation reaching the surface and the sun is very low in the sky. So if you get lucky you'll have a nice time with it.

It's a question of where that precipitation occurs and i'd give it another 24 hours before nailing whether it's scattered showers or something a bit more organised. The GFS this evening for example has a more organised trough feature.

Exciting eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

The frog has spoken

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

My shot at trying to decipher the charts for this weekend : Late Fri into Sat should start seeing wintry showers but yeah looks like a wet mix. Quite breezy at times more so in coastal counties. Northern counties are standing out as getting a fair share of snow / freezing rain Sat and Sunday. One thing for sure is that it is going to be bitterly cold especially in Northern counties with the ECM showing dropping well below zero early Sat night and freezing in the late afternoon Sun possibly enhanced by snow fields there. Very hard to pinpoint where gets what type of wintry precipitation but of course the higher you go the better chance of snow, early sat morning some in higher elevations might have some snow on the ground and it looks like a rain band pushing up from the SW on Sat afternoon could produce sleet /snow , localized heavy. temperatures look to struggle to get up to 5 or 6 C on Sat.

Have a low pressure added into the mix on Sunday which will keep us guessing where it might get wintry or possibly snow.

Icy roads might be a problem especially Monday morning.

A lot of mountains could have good white ridges as we move into the weekend.

Windchill !!!

Very interesting I must say.

hRPzXfO.gif

6pB5z0M.png

VM3UofU.png

ItbRkGm.png

hirlamuk-43-48-0_lbh4.png

anim_uzh7.gif

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Model map - Temperature Min 2m, 6h (°C)
    This map shows the minimum temperature forecast by the model over a 6 hour period at an elevation of 2m (6 feet)

J34f4oA.png

AoA7Mff.png

Dwn2f28.png

mUpASV0.png

cIVoRMa.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Latest bbc news 24 has white graphics over Wicklow for this and earlier in the frames over Kerry west cork limerick and clare

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Latest bbc news 24 has white graphics over Wicklow for this and earlier in the frames over Kerry west cork limerick and clare

Lot of high ground in those parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Mount Vesuvius

Mmmmmm interesting Saturday night for sure.
    UkMet have it drawn well, for now.

fax60s_tiq3.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Mount Vesuvius

Euro4 shows scattered wintriness throughout Saturday then approaching from the south west the main threat.

anim_bva2.gif

GFS bringing sleet and snow showers across the country overnight tomorrow night and then more prolonged snow for the south on Saturday

33-574UK.GIF?12-18

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

18z upgrading snow chances also. A very interesting Saturday night showing for the South!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,883 ✭✭✭pauldry

Ive been looking at this all week.

It doesnt look marginal to me at all. Id say there is a high chance of lying snow at lower levels this weekend.

It may not last long but many places more especially inland will see lying snow for a while on Saturday or Sunday.

If the wind is light and little solar radiation its the perfect conditions.

Ive the camera on standby.

It will definitely snow in Ireland this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Regarding Corks chances Saturday afternoon looks best with at least some highground snow likely. It is however unlikely to lie and even if it does will melt early Sunday with an onshore wind evident. Better chances further towards the Midlands

So as I said earlier it is indeed interesting and quite festive but transient to the extreme

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

A potential Snow thread and Kermit didnt start it

Its not happening!!!

*Update* Kermit has spoken

Its definitely not happening now ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭screamer

There’s no business like snow business. I’ll be getting a sled out of the shed just in case to take the kids on... never know could happen. I’ll also be panic buying 50 loaves of Brennan’s bread!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Yes Kermit. The most famous frog on boards. Is this your first time in the weather forum?
    Don't worry, once ya start reading, you'll be ribbited....

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm… wait and see time. lol..Just now dealing with the din of hardhit precipitation on the windows,

at least snow is quiet

hirlamuk-1-44-0.png?13-05

nvi0yTR.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,883 ✭✭✭pauldry

Im worried now. Much stronger winds forecast than before. These could scupper snow chances for many at least blowing in off a slightly milder Atlantic.

We need calmer winds for snow

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

HIRLAM certainly the pick of the bunch this morning and I believe HARMONIE is looking good for Saturday night, interesting weekend ahead!

All depends on how far north the occlusion gets. It might not be very active but we'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

MT does not seem to be going for it in his forecast this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

pauldry wrote: »
    Ive been looking at this all week.

It doesnt look marginal to me at all. Id say there is a high chance of lying snow at lower levels this weekend.

It may not last long but many places more especially inland will see lying snow for a while on Saturday or Sunday.

If the wind is light and little solar radiation its the perfect conditions.

Ive the camera on standby.

It will definitely snow in Ireland this weekend.

I can't see it lasting long at lower levels, ground temperatures are still quite high.
    Quickly melt

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

ZX7R wrote: »
    I can't see it lasting long at lower levels, ground temperatures are still quite high.
    Quickly melt

I don't care as long as we see some white gold!
    I'll find the permanent stuff on higher ground either way.

Advertisement