Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Snap,Frost,Ice,Snow Showers - Saturday December 14th -16th

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Sally gap impassable. Always great snow up there. So many times it’s a normal day around the country and you hear on the news.....sally gap impassable. Their own micro climate up there

Yep mad to think its only less than 15km from the M50

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭lcasey90

wakka12 wrote: »
    Yep mad to think its only less than 15km from the M50

15km uphill though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

It looks like Met Eireanns forecast tonight is very inaccurate!! Temps showing below freezing and widely down to -3. Whereas in reality a large swathe of the country is still over 5 and 6C. I don't see how the temperature will drop that much through the night tbh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

It looks like Met Eireanns forecast tonight is very inaccurate!! Temps showing below freezing and widely down to -3. Whereas in reality a large swathe of the country is still over 5 and 6C. I don't see how the temperature will drop that much through the night tbh

Yeah I thought that too. Went for a walk and it's around 4-5C. Doesn't feel like snow at all in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

pnpweirdo wrote: »
    Also east clare and not a single snow flake
    Like every other county, they're all working up in the big shmoke. Sometimes urbanisation is a good thing

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Sally gap impassable. Always great snow up there. So many times it’s a normal day around the country and you hear on the news.....sally gap impassable. Their own micro climate up there

strange since there has generally been very little precipitation in the east over the past few days. Perhaps the Wicklow mountains got lucky with showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭highdef

Gonzo wrote: »
    strange since there has generally been very little precipitation in the east over the past few days. Perhaps the Wicklow mountains got lucky with showers.

It did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

-1 here in South Tipp.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭dsaint1

It's sheet ice on the roads causing the problems rather than snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

No temp recordings here but ice didn't melt on the car or on footpaths all day so couldn't have gotten much above freezing. Looks like a hard freeze again tonight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

dsaint1 wrote: »

Loads of snow on the Dublin mountains based on what I could see this afternoon. Presume it was a mix of ice and snow on Sally Gap

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

dsaint1 wrote: »

Exactly. The snow up there is only a dusting (about than 1-3 cm) really but it is lulling drivers into a false sense of security. The dusting of snow covering tarmac is fine to drive on, but there are loads of camouflaged icy patches due to frozen runoff water of the very wet recent few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Just seen the photos... why do folk go there when they know the forecast? Crazy and just stoopid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Black ice on the outskirts of Limerick.

Very slippery on the bends after the rain froze.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    Black ice on the outskirts of Limerick.

Very slippery on the bends after the rain froze.

....as I discovered a short while ago, happily without damage. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭emeldc

I cut the grass yesterday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,422 ✭✭✭✭Alun

This time it was more the small amount of snow that was already there freezing over when temperatures dropped rather than massive amounts of snow.

Advertisement