Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut Megathread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭homingbird

Back again can revolut users send money to n26 users like they can themself.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

homingbird wrote: »
    Back again can revolut users send money to n26 users like they can themself.

Just via a bank transfer, I transferred €200 from my Revolut acc to my N26 yesterday afternoon, I got a notification from N26 at 10am this morning to say transfer had completed.

N26 do allow top ups with a card now, but only first top up is free as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭homingbird

I didnt know they charge for topups its for my niece her mother was topping her up on revoult but her revolut account got locked & she is getting no help fixing it there is luckly only 20 euro in account sent by her mother i will tell her to chase them for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭testtech05

homingbird wrote: »
    I didnt know they charge for topups its for my niece her mother was topping her up on revoult but her revolut account got locked & she is getting no help fixing it there is luckly only 20 euro in account sent by her mother i will tell her to chase them for it.

I've been using Revolut for a few years now and I have never noticed being charged for topping up using my debit cards from different banks.

testtech05 wrote: »
    I've been using Revolut for a few years now and I have never noticed being charged for topping up using my debit cards from different banks.

No, Revolut don’t charge for top-ups it’s N26 that do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭testtech05

Aquos76 wrote: »
    No, Revolut don’t charge for top-ups it’s N26 that do.

Ah sorry guys, misread the post!! Apologies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭g6fdyotp5nj2l7

homingbird wrote:
    its for my niece her mother was topping her up on revoult but her revolut account got locked

Why or how did her account get locked if you don't mind me asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭ustari

Looking to purchase a car from a Northern Irish car dealer in the coming weeks.

When my wife purchased from same last year we got hit with really bad rates from BOI which made the car cost more than we expected.

This time around, I am planning to use revolut to transfer to the dealer's BOI account which is based in Northern Ireland in sterling.

Is the best/most efficient way to do this by transferring the money from my BOI account to my Revolut account, convert to sterling and transfer the sterling to dealer's bank account?
    I see Revolut give a very good exchange rate. Planning to go premium for this transfer and then cancel after.

Thank you, only new to Revolut to unsure of transfers from it to foreign bank accounts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

ustari wrote: »
    Looking to purchase a car from a Northern Irish car dealer in the coming weeks.

When my wife purchased from same last year we got hit with really bad rates from BOI which made the car cost more than we expected.

This time around, I am planning to use revolut to transfer to the dealer's BOI account which is based in Northern Ireland in sterling.

Is the best/most efficient way to do this by transferring the money from my BOI account to my Revolut account, convert to sterling and transfer the sterling to dealer's bank account?
    I see Revolut give a very good exchange rate. Planning to go premium for this transfer and then cancel after.

Thank you, only new to Revolut to unsure of transfers from it to foreign bank accounts.

Just lodge euro to Revolut, either with your card or Sepa transfer then spend in sterling either with your Revolut card or Sepa

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Merging this with the main Revolut thread. One is plenty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

Stellar Crypto has been added to Revolut
    https://twitter.com/RevolutApp/status/1288036035503493121?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Careful_now!

I got a junior account for my daughter.
    She tried using the card in centra today after getting a sandwich at the deli.
    The card didn't go through. The error message was "unsupported merchant"

I contacted revolut to find out what the problem was.

They told me that their systems block any sales of shops that sell alcohol.

Anyone else have a similar problem?

That’s not ideal now is it, in this case none of the supermarkets will accept the card then. Revolut should be leaving the shops look after policing the sale of alcohol to underage rather than them trying to do it on card payments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

That is ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Aquos76 wrote: »
    That’s not ideal now is it, in this case none of the supermarkets will accept the card then. Revolut should be leaving the shops look after policing the sale of alcohol to underage rather than them trying to do it on card payments.

my daughter has used hers in Dunnes and Supervalu without issue, so thats not the reason

my daughter has used hers in Dunnes and Supervalu without issue, so thats not the reason

My daughter only got her card today.

We'll check it out in a few more places tomorrow and hopefully there won't be any issues

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

My daughter only got her card today.

We'll check it out in a few more places tomorrow and hopefully there won't be any issues

Send her to an off licence to remove any doubt :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

Might be a stupid question but your daughter use chip and pin to pay? I believe it is needed for the first transaction to activate the card. Tap won't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

The card didn't go through. The error message was "unsupported merchant"?

Each Shop has a contract with a payment processor to accept cards and is assigned a MCC (Merchant Category Code) which tells the card issuer what kind of shop it is.

Revolut has excluded certain MCC from payments which means that the unsupported merchant is shown if the MCC is not allowed.

So the centra in question could have a MCC that is excluded because for example rather than being coded as convenience store it's coded as off license or some other type of excluded MCC.

There is nobody at Revolut checking the stores one by one it is done by the MCC so pay at the Centra with your card and look at the receipt to see what the MCC is and you know why it failed.

And in light of the answer from Revolut it most likely is that the Centra is using an MCC that indicates alcohol sale.

Each Shop has a contract with a payment processor to accept cards and is assigned a MCC (Merchant Category Code) which tells the card issuer what kind of shop it is.

Revolut has excluded certain MCC from payments which means that the unsupported merchant is shown if the MCC is not allowed.

So the centra in question could have a MCC that is excluded because for example rather than being coded as convenience store it's coded as off license or some other type of excluded MCC.

There is nobody at Revolut checking the stores one by one it is done by the MCC so pay at the Centra with your card and look at the receipt to see what the MCC is and you know why it failed.

And in light of the answer from Revolut it most likely is that the Centra is using an MCC that indicates alcohol sale.

Thanks for that.

That's been useful

The main category attached to the Centra I suppose would be a petrol station, so that's probably what the problem is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Thanks for that.

That's been useful

The main category attached to the Centra I suppose would be a petrol station, so that's probably what the problem is.

That could be it, unfortunately Revolut is a little vague when it comes to what they are blocking, there is a brief explanation under point 6 here:
    https://www.revolut.com/legal/revolut-junior
    To make the Revolut Junior card as safe and secure as possible, we block merchant types which we think aren't age appropriate for Juniors. For example, merchants who only sell alcohol, cigarettes and gambling products. To do this, we rely on the merchant's registered business type (also known as an ‘MCC code’), not the actual details of what is being bought on a Revolut Junior card. This means Revolut Junior Cards are not restricted from, for example, buying alcohol at a supermarket (because the category of ‘supermarket’ is not restricted) or at a merchant with an inaccurate registered business type. If we turn a merchant off, you can't turn it back on.

Sounds very stupid to me and needless. Let shops and parents monitor spending. The likes of centra would be a place a lot of kids would spend money especially when teenagers getting lunch in the deli etc.

Giving them a spare revolut card on your own account or giving them your n26/monese card etc if you use revolut as your main account (or vice versa) and adding money to that for them would make much more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭wandererz

If anyone is interested :

Transferred money from Revolut to AIB today at 13:54.
    When I checked at 17:15, the funds were in my AIB account. Could have been there earlier if I had checked. Don't know though.

Rather surprised at that speed.
    Expected a next day deposit.

I guess if one meets the criteria of weekdays and before cutoff times then all is hunky dory.

Hooray for sepa.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,910 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

I’ve a couple of questions I hope someone would be able to help with.

Does anyone use Revolut with their Apple Watch? I never tried it until recently and it keeps saying not authorised on the card machine, but if I use my phone straight after with the same card it works fine.

Also is the €150 contactless limit meant to apply to Apple Pay/Google Pay? I was using N26 as my main card until recently and never had a limit when using it with Apple Pay or Google Pay. With the Revolut card I’ve to go in and reset the limit. Is that normal behaviour?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Sono

I’ve a couple of questions I hope someone would be able to help with.

Does anyone use Revolut with their Apple Watch? I never tried it until recently and it keeps saying not authorised on the card machine, but if I use my phone straight after with the same card it works fine.

Also is the €150 contactless limit meant to apply to Apple Pay/Google Pay? I was using N26 as my main card until recently and never had a limit when using it with Apple Pay or Google Pay. With the Revolut card I’ve to go in and reset the limit. Is that normal behaviour?

I actually tried to use revolut on Apple Watch for the first time yesterday, had always used N26 before with no issues and no limit, my transaction failed but no idea why.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭ooter

Apologies if this has already been asked before but could somebody please tell me the steps needed to go through to get to chat to someone on the revolut app?
    Terrible app to navigate, one of the worst I've ever experienced.

ooter wrote: »
    Apologies if this has already been asked before but could somebody please tell me the steps needed to go through to get to chat to someone on the revolut app?
    Terrible app to navigate, one of the worst I've ever experienced.

Just click your initials tab on the bottom right and click the question mark. Chat option is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭msmx5

Just click your initials tab on the bottom right and click the question mark. Chat option is there.

Select "new chat" and then type "Live Agent" if you need to chat with a human. FYI - Rita is an AI powered computer bot!.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Latest update on Android has dark mode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭_Godot_

Latest update on Android has dark mode.

Only if you're in the beta though.

Advertisement