Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut Megathread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Mr.S wrote: »
    You can also bet that the APR will be competitive if they launch a credit card in ROI, or else why bother?

The same reason they have people paying for metal and platinum who don’t use any of the add on services

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Slightly different, no? It would be counter-productive to launch a credit card with ridiculously high APR when every other Irish bank hands them out for free with minimal requirements.

Not really. The point is that revolut users seem so invested in the brand (particularly in Ireland) that it’s not odd to think they’ll pay for inferior products

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

If revolut start offering banking services in Ireland, i wonder will they start offering IE IBAN numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Revolut offering a full banking service in Ireland with credit facilities will be a total game changer.

Once they get their deposit protection, huge numbers will move to Revolut full time versus casual like now, it's a no-brainer considering the amount of users.

You'd have to be mad to move your full time banking to Revolut .
    So they can freeze your account on a whim and demand loads of information that no other proper bank deems necessary .
    No thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 pickneary

Hi folks just looking for advice I spend a bit on Amazon.co.uk, I have always pain in euros but someone said I should be paying in Gbp,

So I was wondering whether to get a Revolution or N26 card , could someone maybe recommend or give me an idea, also do I just use my main bank account for lodging money into rev or n26.

Also is there an annual government charge for this, cheers and thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Curious to see how long revolut and n26 etc can offer 100% free banking forever.

While nobody likes bank fees, someone has to pay for the ongoing infrastructure development and i doubt there are enough metal/premium customers alone.

We're going to be in a negative interest rate environment for years so these challenger banks are not able to make money on surplus balances either.

It's another case of Facebook years ago, it has to be monetised eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭greenore

Same donated and then charged £4.99 for delivery for rainbow card

Anyway handy for a spare card

It on its way, so will update here when it arrives

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Peig Sayers

greenore wrote: »
    Same donated and then charged £4.99 for delivery for rainbow card

Anyway handy for a spare card

It on its way, so will update here when it arrives

I wasn't charged for delivery of my rainbow card? I only gave the €3 donation :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭torrevieja

pickneary wrote: »
    Hi folks just looking for advice I spend a bit on Amazon.co.uk, I have always pain in euros but someone said I should be paying in Gbp,

So I was wondering whether to get a Revolution or N26 card , could someone maybe recommend or give me an idea, also do I just use my main bank account for lodging money into rev or n26.

I just pay in Euros too with Amazon can't answer Ur other questions I'm sure some of the regulars here should be able to help

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭wandererz

pickneary wrote: »

Paying in Euro is at Amazon's exchange rate.
    Paying in GBP with Revolut is at Revoluts exchange rate. They provide interbank exchange rates, which is typically better than your bank will provide and definitely better than Amazon. So you are better of using Revolut.

Simply link your bank account to Revolut and top up as necessary.
    There isn't a once off government levy as it is spread out across your transactions.

You can get an account setup in 30mins (just remember to use passport as ID) and start using immediately. You will receive card in the post in a week or so.

As an example, for an item costing £299, Amazon's exchange rate was €328 while Revolut was showing €322.

• Advertisement

I linked a BOI and PSTB account to my revolute app, it used to work but now no new transactions are feeding through for either.

Anyone else?

Would I ask the other bank or Revolut?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭Delta2113

My PTSB stopped updating weeks ago. I couldn't be bothered reporting it.

It woudn't surprise me if it's the Irish Banks fault. They must hate Revolut.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭TheChizler

No updates from my AIB account since I linked it on the 15th of June and there have been 18 transactions in that time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭torrevieja

wandererz wrote: »
    Paying in Euro is at Amazon's exchange rate.
    Paying in GBP with Revolut is at Revoluts exchange rate. They provide interbank exchange rates, which is typically better than your bank will provide and definitely better than Amazon. So you are better of using Revolut.

Simply link your bank account to Revolut and top up as necessary.
    There isn't a once off government levy as it is spread out across your transactions.

You can get an account setup in 30mins (just remember to use passport as ID) and start using immediately. You will receive card in the post in a week or so.

As an example, for an item costing £299, Amazon's exchange rate was €328 while Revolut was showing €322.

Hope u dont mind me hijacking but
    would revoult be better than n26?
    so you just change ur card details on ur Amazon Account ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

Delta2113 wrote: »
    My PTSB stopped updating weeks ago. I couldn't be bothered reporting it.

It woudn't surprise me if it's the Irish Banks fault. They must hate Revolut.

cause its always the banks fault, cause revolut never has any issues. Thats what happens when use a third party that has reliability issues

cause its always the banks fault, cause revolut never has any issues. Thats what happens when use a third party that has reliability issues

Will ask Revolut and see what they say, its odd its all the irish banks not just ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Well all the Irish banks are very slow to embrace modern tech, they all offer very basic apps with the minimum of features, PTSB still don't support Google/Apple pay. Revolut and n26 are light years ahead tech wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭camz09

I wasn't charged for delivery of my rainbow card? I only gave the €3 donation :confused:

Are you on a Standard account? I think other types of account like Metal are free

Well all the Irish banks are very slow to embrace modern tech, they all offer very basic apps with the minimum of features, PTSB still don't support Google/Apple pay. Revolut and n26 are light years ahead tech wise.

Ptsb was always more of a building society rather than a bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

But still they're ahead of both BOI and AIB for modern tech you'd expect from a modern bank. I applied for a Ptsb loan in the app, had it approved in an hour.

• Advertisement

Are they not more or less the same thing?

Are they not more or less the same thing?
    I think nows days they are a bit, even credit unions are starting to become like banks now.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

Anyone change their plans on Revolut lately?I'm downgrading from metal plan to standard. Just not worth it while I'm not able to travel. Trying to do it on the App the last 2 days and it's just stays on a blank screen when I click on proceed with downgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭wandererz

CosmicFool wrote: »
    Anyone change their plans on Revolut lately?I'm downgrading from metal plan to standard. Just not worth it while I'm not able to travel. Trying to do it on the App the last 2 days and it's just stays on a blank screen when I click on proceed with downgrade.

Did it 2 weeks ago for the same reason.
    Allowed me to do so, no problem at all.

Not sure how new this but the National Lottery app now says it accepts N26 and Revolut cards for topups.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

CosmicFool wrote: »

Did it fine last night premium back down to free

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭deadduck

deadduck wrote: »
    Same for me. I’m on iOS, but a mate of mine on Android linked his Ptsb account no problem...

Just a heads up that I just tried linking my Ptsb account now, and it finally worked. No transaction details yet, but at least it’s linked and I can easily check my balance now

deadduck wrote: »
    Just a heads up that I just tried linking my Ptsb account now, and it finally worked. No transaction details yet, but at least it’s linked and I can easily check my balance now

I'm android and there is now no updated info feeding into the Revolut app...

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Poncke

Lots of people raving about Revolut but to me its no difference than paying with your chip card, which has utterly failed.

I need to add funds from my bank account for it to work. So that's 15 - 30 - 100 euro sitting on my Revolut card doing nothing. Why not let the app pull funds from my account?

If I have 15 euro on my card, to pay 15.01 contactless, I need to top up first, waiting at the till. Again, why not let the app pull funds from my account?

To pay someone, I need to have their phone number, send a payment, approve via SMS, then the other person gets an SMS and needs to accept it. Why not make this contactless as well? Just tapping phones together.

Donated 5 pound the other day to get the Rainbow card, was charged €6.50 for shipping cost which they fail to mention. That's against consumer regulations.

Honestly don't get the fuzz. It's just because banks in Ireland are so crap and slow with Technology thats apps like Revolut are seen as innovators, when they really aren't.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 253 ✭✭Xtrail14

It’s a very bad attempt at the Monzo version.

Advertisement