Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut Megathread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭browne_rob5

They said they will start migrating existing customers to Irish IBANs on a phased basis in 2 months so should be open to new customers then also.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,345 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

FWIW, I had the same problem a while ago topping up my Leap card when I was at home. Switched off Wi-Fi on the phone and it worked every time over 4G. It shouldn't affect how an app communicates with it's host but there clearly is some difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Could it be possible that it may be location based security measures?

If you 'Add Money' from within the Revolut app and point Revolut at your AIB/BoI/other bank debit card, the money will be in your Revolut account straight away. It's not clear from your post where you initiated the transfer. If you do it from your bank's app or website, it will take a day or so, just like any EFT.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭PenguinForce

The money arrive after a few hours. I was checking the app now and for some reason I can't add money. The option to add money using a bank card is gone. I only see 2 options now. Google pay and regular bank transfer and when I select regular bank transfer it just say "coming soon".

I'm not sure if I did something. I was just looking around the app and added a HKD wallet but I'm adding money to my euro wallet.

• Advertisement

I can't understand how you and poster horse7 are having problems adding money in the Revolut app. I have the app installed on my (Samsung) Android phone. When I click the 'Add Money' button, it offers me the most recent debit card I used but if I click the 'Change' button, I will see all of the debit cards I have registered in the app, they're listed as 'Linked Cards' in a panel above the 'Regular Bank Transfer' option. I have registered EBS and BoI debit cards and both of them worked in the past 24 hours. It did not involve the EBS authenticator app, EBS gave Revolut the money straight away. BoI always does as well. AIB will not work unless I withdraw the money via the AIB card in Google Wallet.

Just to clarify, all of this happens within the Revolut app but does not involve clicking the 'Regular Bank Transfer' option, you must first register your debit card(s) in the app by clicking on 'Add card securely'. That will allow you to withdraw money and get it in your Revolut account straight away or, at worst, within a few minutes. The transaction on your bank account will be exactly the same as when a vendor hits your account when you use the debit card in a retail situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭thefizz

I have a personal Revolut account but wish to open a business account for a sports club I run. It would be mainly to accept payment of member's class fees, so which business option would be the best with lowest fees? And could I have a second person allowed access to it on their phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

You are in for a surprise if you think Revolut will be better. If you get through to an actual person in revolut within 40 minutes, you'd rank as the fastest ever! And if you have any DD payment, be prepared for a version of hell on earth.

Revolut are best as a payment service, but not suitable for all your banking reqirements

• Registered Users Posts: 28,426 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I've been using them as my main bank for months now, with KBC closing, without any significant difficulty.

They only thing they couldn't do for me was accept a cheque lodgement, so I sent that to the credit union.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,743 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

I looked into this a while back. They weren't accepting business from sports/community groups and the like then and I doubt that has changed in the interim.

• Advertisement

I used them for several months and had some payments with them. Then suddenly they did not pay a Sky direct debit and a LPT direct debit. After 3 days I eventually got someone to answer and they said the direct debits need to be set up in a different way - despite there being no issue for the previous 5 months.

I did my best to set them up as they told me and then they froze my account, It took 2 weeks to reactivate and I immediately withdrew all funds and went to bunq.

They are fine if you never have a problem. When you have a problem they are an absolute and total nightmare - and that's the general reports you will see from thousands of users

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Bunq are apparently similar in that regard so moving there may not save you from this happening. That's why I'm going to EBS. I'll have EBS take care of my wages and bills and then use revolut for my day to day spending.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

Good luck with that. To setup a DD, you will need to fill in and sign a paper form and present by lost or in a branch. There's no app so if ever want to check a bank balance (and I think everyone should check what's going on in their account daily) you'll need to find yourself beside a PC/laptop. Web isn't mobile friendly. There were talks that EBS will eventually close their current accounts and stay loan/mortgage business only. Not sure what the situation is now but around half a year ago people said EBS turned them away when they went to a branch asking to open am account, saying they no longer open new accounts...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

No experience of EBS, but it’s definitely not healthy to check your bank account every day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Maybe not... But its nice in today's day and age when you get a notification of money in/out of your account as it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭Kat1170

It can be even less healthy if you've a joint account and she's gone clothes shopping 🤣🤣

You have to send EBS a hardcopy form to setup a standing order, not DDs. I have a Money Manager account with several DD mandates - medical insurance, cable TV and Easytrip toll tag top-ups, none of them involved a hardcopy form.

Thank you for pointing this out! Then it's not that bad at all, because either way we have to contact service providers for them to setup a DD for us... Tell me, how's your experience using their online account?

The EBS website is not mobile-friendly so what you see on a phone or tablet is the same website that you see on a desktop PC. Which means it is not practical to access it from a handheld device. That and the fact that there is no mobile app means that I only ever access the account from home and never when on the go.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,416 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

This article talks about an EBS customer named Derek, who followed a link in a text message to pay for what he thought was a customs charge, somebody supposedly from EBS fraud team then rang him and told him to move his money out of an EBS account into a revolut account and subsequently to delete the revolut app and reinstall it because that account isn't safe either

Apparently the lovely people at EBS refunded him his €1,900 but the evil ones at revolut wouldn't refund his €1,100

My favorite line in this article though has to be

Derek sounds like someone very sensible who is across his bank accounts, knows his balances and that wouldn’t be true of everybody.

Derek is very clearly real and this article definitely wasn't paid for by EBS

• Advertisement

I hate reading these type of articles. Derek didn't think his head and now someone else has to pay for it? Why bank refunded 100% I could firstly not refund at all or at least give him a lesson and refund just a part of it. EBS gifted, not refunded him. And not his money, but someone else's money. He has handed his money to strangers.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Banks sometimes do pay out in cases when people have been scammed even when the scam is stupid. There have been plenty of news stories about that over the years. This whole article stinks of bull shít though.The fraudster knew exactly how much he had in his EBS account. They also used his Revolut account to make a purchase using Apple Pay. So they had his mobile number, access to his EBS account (not sure what is needed for that but at least an account number and a password but possibly an numerical access code as well). They also knew his Revolut card details. When adding a card to Apple Pay does it need any authorization in the Revolut app. I know with Google Wallet it does. If that is the case they would need to have installed his Revolut on their phone. It is all technically possible but seems very, very, very unlikely.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Sorry but no, either Derek is not real or he is not telling the fully story...

These links asking you to pay customs fees have been going around for a couple of years now. And even if you click on a link it will tell the sender absolutely nothing about your account details, such as who you bank with, the balances etc... so the very first question to ask is what information did our Derek provide when he clicked on the link?

He then tells us he was asked to delete the app and re install it. Did he or did he install something else after being instructed to do so by the caller?

Then there is the issue of access to information, if the hackers had all that information and access why did they even need to involve him in the exercise? Then some how, in the matter of a few minutes according to him, a clone account was setup, an apple pay was set up and confirmed and the money transferred.... and all pulled down so he was able to reinstall and authenticate everything once more...

Nope, this just does not stack up for me and the beauty about writing this store is that its like commenting on the royal family it's not going to. be challenged - EBS are not going to comment on it nor are Revolut or they be in breach of GDPR. So it can't be verified.

And of course the bottom line, if Derek had done what he should have done it would never have happened: Two strikes - click on the link, accepted the incoming call rather than calling back to verify the caller.

If you receive a call from any kind of fraud unit from a bank. Tell them you will call them back, ask for their details and the the switch board number where you can call them on. Then you call the bank on the number you have NOT the number they gave you. If it is a scam often you'll find that the phone will be dropped before they get to the switch board number for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

"Derek" clearly is an invention because this only would have worked if the people that called him had access to his bank account (to give him the balance) so they would not have needed to call him about getting access to funds.

Then they would have had to have full access to his Revolut account and hence his mobile phone number because when they install the app on their device an SMS is needed to validate.

So how "Derek" has lost access to his EBS login details, his mobile phone number, and other crucial details and then the claim is "Derek sounds like someone very sensible who is across his bank accounts, knows his balances and that wouldn’t be true of everybody."

Seriously, a bank telling me to move my account to another bank to be safe instead of offering me to put a hold on my account is the first step to me terminating the phone call and call my bank (or log on) and block my cards / account because something is fishy, especially if they my account balance.

"Derek" must be a product of the author who mixed multiple different stories together and needed someone who could play the role of the village idiot.

I'm with Bunq for 9 months and not even a slight issue.

I did need to contact them regarding changing from maestro card to MasterCard and I was answered in seconds on the chat and query sorted in less than a minute.

Every direct debit I have has processed - on the first presentation I have to accept it on the app but after that it's automatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Wasn't there a poster on here posting about being scammed and eventually got money back from the bank even though what he did was completely his own fault.?

I can't check back now as going out soon but sounds like this Derek story.

I was referring to his account being frozen and him losing access to it. This seems to happen more regularly with fintech banks than traditional banks. Anecdotally, I don't think I have read any one have their traditional bank account get froze but I have read about plenty of people getting their fintech accounts frozen. It happened to one of mine. It is a huge worry for me because losing access to your main bank account would be a nightmare. Hopefully, that changes because the traditional banks are expensive, rubbish and borderline archaic with their systems and processes. You shouldn't have to go into a branch or post off a form for anything nowadays. KBC were the only ones I have experienced that were close to having the positives of a fintech bank, it's a pity they are going.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭-=al=-

They don't even have branches, Joe!

Terrible he got scammed but his recollection of the event and details are a bit sketchy. Not totally having it tbh. More questions need to be asked.

There should be more concern about the initial response to the scam text message than the confusing chain of events that take place thereafter

Banks do pay out in some cases where they are clearly not responsible. It basically comes down to a cost call, it is often cheaper to pass someone a couple of hundred Euro and go through the hassle of an investigation, or there may be a larger issue at play and so on. But I would not want to rely on that outcome.

• Advertisement

I think it is more of a case that the traditional Irish banks have to catch up and they will in time. And the other thing is the lack of a national identity card in Ireland. Most of these systems are built for a Europe where a national ID is standard, so they have to make an exception for Ireland and they will tend to be on the conservative side for fear they'd endanger their license.

Advertisement