Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut Megathread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

That is a good summary and coupled that with a lack of a central address registration at the local Government level it creates some unique challenges like using a Gas bill to proof residency.

Plus, in some of the European markets they also have more reference points about the customer with extensive reporting about bill payments, mobile phone contracts, loans etc because of private credit reference agencies. Our CCR is a little kitten against the German Schufa for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭PenguinForce

New to revolut. Going away to HK. Still waiting for my revolut card to arrive hopefully this week.

Can I use the card aboard without any hassle like I don't need add a "travel note" or anything right?

Create a virtual card and add it to ApplePay/Google Pay and use that - reduces the risk of fraud when traveling.

You don't need to add a travel note, they use an AI for fraud detection.

If you use your physical card once it's there, go into the cards settings and scroll down, there is a setting to enable/disable location-based security, swipe payments and other functions of the card. If you have location based on, your phone's location is used to help prevent fraud.

Thank you that was informative.

How does their AI fraud detection work? Say if I need to make €3k payment in HK for a hotel or whatever. Should I be a afraid that they will freeze my account?

Or if I have location based security turned off that won't be an issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,416 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Seems he was on newstalk lunchtime live on Monday (30/01) available on Google podcasts for anybody that wants a listen

• Advertisement

Generally, you should not have problems if you have funds.

The location-based option ON means it will check your phone's GPS location and the location of the card payment and if it matches it's an additional security point. For example, if you are in Dublin but your card is physically swiped in Toronto then it's not going to work (well in theory).

But if you for example pay your hotel in advance while being in Ireland than location base comes not into play because it's done as an online payment.

How the AI works - nobody but revolut knows.

Also, never travel with just one card provider, always have a backup option! Especially giving how hard it is to get a human with Revolut.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 SmithJames84

Anyone had any problems with Revolut Pay Later?

I was approved for it, and followed all the steps correctly, but instead of taking just the first installment, they took the full amount.

They're currently investigating it for me but I'm just curious if this has happened to anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Anyone having problems with the "Attach receipt" function of late. I'm using Revolut version 8.90 & this function hasn't worked for a number of weeks now. I have reported it to Revolut but they haven't yet fixed the problem. Two other Revolut users in our household are experiencing the same problem.

Thanks again.

OK that's good to know. I will have to settle payment for the hotel stay at check out so I was thinking of using my revolut card. So was wondering if there will be a chance that they would think its fraud and decide to freeze my card/account.

I will have my AIB debit and credit card as back up. I only found out that AIB removed travel note completely and just replaced with SMS verification. Which in my opinion isn't the most reliable when outside Europe.

The only downside to that plan is that at check-in the hotel wants to put a hold on your card for the whole amount + an estimate of other charges (laundry, minibar, restaurant) and as the Revolut cards are coded as Debit card this might create an issue as it will freeze the funds on your revolut card and if at check-out they don't do it correctly (i.e. charge the authorization but create a new charge) you might not have enough funds.

You could use your credit card for the guarantee and then at check-out use Revolut to get the better exchange rate if your credit limit on the AIB card is high enough. Will require some interaction at check-out but will save you a chunk of money.

If you google "Debit cards and hotels" you will get a better understanding of the issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭beachhead

How long does it usually take for physical revolut card to arrive? Does it get shipped from the UK?

Me and my partner ordered ours on the night 27th of January which is the weekend. And was giving an expected date to be here for last Friday the 3rd. I can't track it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,669 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

If I select GBP on the app I get UK IBAN/Sort Code etc, anyone confirm if this account will work for a SWIFT transfer (GBP payment)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭mightyreds

• Registered Users Posts: 10,669 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Thanks. Any idea if the Visa Debit card will access the GBP account if I was to spend it?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 doyle55

Will revolut Irish iban have 22 digits?

I would speculate yes, 8-digit account number with sort code 990360 so somewhere along IEXXREVO99036012345678.

Is it just me or is getting warnings about "potential fraud" when trying to make transfers to a bank account out of hand?

I used to get these once in a while but now I'm getting them regularly, on payments to Bunq and others.

I have to sit through the whole video about how fraudsters behave, then confirm I really want to make the transfer, choose a reason, see another custom video and finaly can confirm that I am sure I want to make the transfer.

Is this just me or is anybody else also having this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Jeff2

I could be wrong but I think it pays in GBP if you have the funds there. If not it goes out of your Euro account with a charge for exchange to GBP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭timetogo1

Yep. Was transferring from revolut to a bank account in my name, that I've transferred to several times before and had to answer several questions about knowing what a fraud is.

I did two transfers to two accounts at the same time. The "potential fraud" took about 30 mins longer for me to get the note to say it was being transferred so they probably did some back end check too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Has anyone on here successfully rented a car in the USA with a revolut card?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Kind of. We used a debit card for the imprint but paid with revolut (pre-paid rate).

Nearly 5 years ago now so might not too helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Seeing that revolut changed to a “bank” Is Revolut still a prepaid debit card or a debit card?

The last physical card I got was a Visa Debit Infinite card.

The last online only card I got was an Irish Mastercard World Debit.

So depending on what card you get you might have different levels but they should now all be Debit.

And no one of those give you any Infinite or World benefits, it has no consumer facing advantage, in fact it has disadvantages as some retailers have the right to refuse premium brand cards outside the EU due to the way higher cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 TuamJ

Interesting. We couldn't get either Revolut or Wise (both Visa Infinite cards) to work in a few places in Seattle that all shared the same type of till. Space needle, Chillily Gardens, Mpop museum all rejected the card - all using same type of till. One of the cashiers said something about refusing some types of cards because of the transaction fees but I couldn't figure out what he meant since they were Visa and my AIB visa worked......that probably explains it.

Yes the cashier was right, the cost to accept premium cards in the US is significantly higher than standard cards and so some businesses refuse to accept them.

Joint Accounts are on the way, invitations to join the waitlist are getting displayed in app.

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭crinkley

yes got the invite to join the waiting list, myself and my partner use group vaults for bills etc so this could prove very handy

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Got this, have signed up

Advertisement