Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut Megathread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I was told this summer that I'd have to close my Revolut account and create a new Irish one to get back to an Irish address.

I was using my UK revolut for Amazon Prime, etc.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭slo007

I had this happen too. Told relative to use ipad instead and it went through.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭jeffk

What amount are people comfortable with having in revolut

I'm not talking thousands, like 500 or so or are people only keeping 50 to 100 and top up for big things as needed?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 The Headwind

I auto top up €200 when balance falls below €75.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭beachhead

e200 max.Any more and it wudn't be resting there for more than 24 hours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JimmyCorkhill

On the standard revolut plan and currently in the US for a few days.

I can transfer up to 1000 euro or so to USD in a month without incurring any material charges.

I have gone over the 1000 euro now & also spent it.

Can I just leave a euro balance on my revolut card and pay for items in the US with the euro balance or am I better off exchanging the euro to usd?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭jeffk

Thanks for replies

Getting paid into revolut so wondering how much too leave as have a credit union which isnt instant too top up and EBS which is instant but is a nightmare too keep an eye on the balance etc

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭tmh106

Can I just leave a euro balance on my revolut card and pay for items in the US with the euro balance or am I better off exchanging the euro to usd?

I think during the week (Mon-Fri) you can do € to $ without any commission, but I think at weekends you there is some charge - you should double check what they say in their documentation on currency conversion. When I was in the US, I converted in advance, I thought that was the better option. I guess the only reason you would not is if yo thought the exchange rate would change significantly in your favour while you were there, but for a short visit that is unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭MacDanger

I'm going to South Africa later in Dec - if I transfer money to Rand on Revolut, can I then withdraw cash from an ATM in South Africa (subject to the €200 limit without fees)

Yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Anjunadeep

Edit:Issue sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Revolut will be introducing a new Ultra level which includes higher cash back, more travel related services and other benefits.

Mails to register interest are going out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

I also noticed on Vaults you can now save different currencies,I find this very helpful for if have plans to go to the UK or US and was able to save it in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

What are peoples thoughts on the paid plan? I'm currently on the Metal plan but considering dropping down to the Plus plan, the cashback and other perks don't seem worth the extra 11 a month. I mainly want a paid plan so I can have two U18 accounts.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Do revolut or n26 accept driving licence now ?

Surely the new driving licences with the hologram should be a valid id ?

Or is there any other online banks that accept it?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Banks are free to decide on which form of ID they are willing to accept, so you could ask them. Somewhere on the EU website is a list of mandatory acceptable ID in the EU and while there are a few driving licences listed, an Irish one is not among them.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭feargantae

Anyone ever use the purchase/refund protection? Just wondering how the process went

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭cc

I've linked my PTSB account to my revolut mainly just for the analytics. I can see a transactions from my PTSB current account now except for native PTSB direct debit transactions. Seems odd, it means the analytics is pretty useless if that's intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭timefora_J

Has anyone got an advice on paying direct debits from pockets ?

I’ve recently moved to Revolut and have two direct debits, Eir and Virgin Media both of which have taken one payment from my account, but for some reason I can’t select these payments when creating a pocket. My other monthly subs from iTunes are available though.

any advice would be appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Heading to London next weekend just wondering if I use Revolut over there how it works in the UK now. Can I just tap my card or use the pin on machines in shops pubs etc like normal here or will I be charged fees on transactions because its outside the EU?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

• Registered Users Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

It seems to take a few cycles of the DDs before Revolut sees them as repeating payments.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

I've never used it over there so just wasn't sure. I don't plan on changing money or anything like that so just wanted to use my card as normal and just get charged whatever the rate is on Revolut currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

That's exactly how it works provided you're within your monthly fx limits you won't be charged anything extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭bugsyb4

Hi follow this thread but haven't looked in here for a while so apologies if what I am asking has been answered a few pages back!

Like a lot of people with UB and KBC will need a new current account shortly as have until end of June left with KBC.

Wondering is there any main drawbacks from moving my sole current account to Revolut? I won't have any DD to be paid as all these will be coming from an AIB joint account eventually once move these over.

I wouldnt have much use with my sole account but wondering is it easy to get wages paid into a Revolut account? I know it is not an Irish IBAN so hoping this wouldn't impact. Don't do many ATM withdrawals either but wondering is there a limit here before start getting charged?

My wife has recently set up Revolut and we used it on a London trip and found it very handy which made me think was there any real need to have an Irish bank as my current account provider especially when will have access to AIB one through joint account. Not a fan of paying banks fees every month/qtr either which we avoid on AIB as have mortgage with them.

Any tips appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭flazio

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭bugsyb4

Good read that, thanks.

No real issues there for me from what I can tell.

Only query someone might answer for me is what is their customer service like? As is it a live chat agent I contact if I have an issue?? From my dealings with these they are very Hit (NOW) and Miss (Eir). Hopefully they would be efficient enough. Also it mentioned about freezing your account if they expect fraudulent activity, would hope this doesn't occur too often!! Be hoping I wouldn't use the account enough for account to be frozen anyway.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

I've used it as my main account for 2 plus years now and have only had to use the help chat twice and it was fine.

Just wish they or n26 offered credit cards as I can't wait to sever my final tie with a **** antiquated Irish bank.

Avantcard is Spanish, could be an option for you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭DubDani

We got our daughter the Revolut <18 card as she will be travelling abroad in a school trip shortly.

All good so far, but we have run into one challenge. We were hoping to enable contactless paymeny on her Android phone, like for example.via Google Pay. The challenge is that Google Pay has a minimum age of 16 (compared to Apple Pay's minimum age of 13), so it won't let us setup Google Pay with her card. Are there any reliable alternatives out there that would let me achieve the same?

Anyone else ran into that Issue before?

Thanks,

DubDani

Advertisement