Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut Megathread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭up4dabah

Do I get purchase protection if I choose the revolut option when paying through iDeal? I haven't seen any of these 'pay with revolut' options at any checkouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Is there any advantage to having a UK Revolut if one is located fulltime in the Republic? I set one up a while ago, using the Parcel Motel address in Belfast, and I think I did that because I needed to get something from the UK and needed a card which was registered there.

Other than those occasional purchases, would there be any advantage in applying for an Irish Revolut card and just closing the UK one? (I'm in the republic fulltime)

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭OrangeLavender

Why do I mess with things?! I uninstalled the Revolut app to see if the shops section would appear for me and since doing it, notifications aren't showing up any more to validate purchases online with Revolut so I can't make payments 😣

Instead of a push notification from the Revolut app asking me to approve a payment, it's saying that a temporary hold has been put on my card from Google pay. I'm not sure what to do! I've restarted my phone, triple checked all the permissions in app and in phone settings and still no joy. Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Could be higher charges in the EU if using an ATM.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

One disadvantage is the you may find that your funds have been frozen because of the invalid address or because they are not authorised to offer financial services to citizens in the EU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Hey all. Wondering if someone could help with this query.

We recently had to switch from Ulster Bank and now looking to set up an account for my uncle who has special needs. We have a couple of key criteria:

• Ability to manage / limit spending
    • Contactless payment
    • Easy to top up or add funds (ideally not required to have my uncle's phone)

In essence, it's kind of a Revolut Junior account that we need.

Typical use case - My uncle goes to a concert with a friend, but we want to make sure we can top up his account easily if he was in trouble, got stuck somewhere etc. We also want my grandmother to have the ability to control the amount in his account without always needing my uncle's phone to do so.

Is something like this possible?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

To do all that with Revolut you would realistically need access to the app. You can transfer funds from a revolut account to his revolut account and that would be instant. However, to see how much is in his account and transfer it out (e.g. to an external account or a vault) you would need to have access to the app. Would installing the app on a phone your grandmother has access to and giving him the card for the account be an option? He may not be able to access the app himself then though. I don't know if Revolut lets you install the app on multiple devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Yes, I think that might be the solution - having the app on my grandmother's phone but just giving the card to my uncle. Nice one.

Is there any circumstances where he might need to verify purchases within the app? Or is this just for online payments?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,823 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I think it depends on the size of the purchase. Day to day should be fine and the physical card is chip and pin if he's able to manage that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

For online transactions he would need to have the app installed definitely. If he uses contactless a lot then he may hit the contactless limit and have to use the app to reset it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,743 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

You can reset the contactless limit without the app though, just by doing a chip & PIN transaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭coco0981

I'm heading to UK next month, will use my revolut virtual card through Google pay. New to using revolut, is there any downsides to only having a virtual card apart from not being able withdraw at atms etc

• Registered Users Posts: 18,906 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

He would only need to verify payments for some online transactions and that would be done through the app.

One thing to note is Revolut has a €150 contactless limit which needs to be reset through the app. They send a notification when approaching this limit. It also doesn't apply to Google/Apple pay, just card taps.

You can also have the Revolut app on more than one device at a time. Not sure it that's something that would be beneficial to you but thought it was worth mentioning.

It doesn't _need_ to be reset via the app, it can be reset with a c&p transaction like every other contactless card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭coco0981

I've googled it but don't see anything about it!

Also I've never really used revolut much. Presume I just transfer in money to my a/c. Do u then convert it to sterling in revolut or just leave it a euro and revolut will convert when I use it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,823 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Roughly when does the weekend rate kick in? Like say I wanted to head up to the Stairway to Heaven next weekend, when should I transfer the money into the pound account. Before midnight Friday night into Saturday morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭Kat1170

It's only an extra 1%

ie. an extra €1 for every €100 you exchange. Not really worth it unless you're going to be spending on something big.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭OrangeLavender

I recently switched the balance of a loan from Avant to Revolut and so far, I am very happy. Benefits I see so far-

• I can check exactly how much is outstanding (Avant didn't have an online portal or app so I just had to keep track of it in an excel file but I was always slightly off)
    • I can pay extra any time I want in the app vs having to do awkward transfers for Avant which I always had to follow up on to make sure they went through
    • I get a push reminder if my balance is low before my repayment date
    • I can see exactly how much interest and principal I am paying each month

I'm sure there are pitfalls but I haven't encountered them yet one could probably be the Revolut customer service. In fairness Avant were great any time I had to ring but I probably only rang because of the lack of the services above so..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Anybody having problems with transferring money from AIB to Revolut the last few days? Can't do it via either Google Pay or transfer via card without getting an error message.

I know AIB app is atrocious most of the times but this has been very annoying the last few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

Avant actually has an online portal and an app. I'm using Avant and regularly login to both, the app and the portal, to track my expenses. So I don't know what you're talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

That is for your credit card, not for a loan that the poster was referring to.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

• Registered Users Posts: 37,815 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Think the price is gone down now

Only at €1.50 now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I transfered via Apple Pay yesterday. No problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,660 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭maxamillius

Any have issues when applying for a loan, says it can’t verify income when my bank account is linked and therefore denies my application?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Guys, stuck in a bit of a rock and a hard place with an online retailer and their atrocious customer service along with Revolut pay later.

So I paid with Revolut pay later, the first of the 3 installments was paid. Part of this installment and the full price was the delivery charge that shouldn't never been charged as I was collecting the item.

The retailer is trying to refund me, but as the pay later is a once off card where does the refund go? Back to my main account or is my pay later allowence topped up.

Anyone been in similar situation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,035 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

I had a similar thing before with Klarna where an Amazon refund of import charges went off the outstanding balance, assume Revolut would be similar.

Advertisement